Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Robotnik Nudes posted:

If he knew he was in danger, why didn't he find another way to go about it? He could have made any decision, countless options, but he gets written into making the stupid illogical decisions that get him killed. Why didn't he just executed Cersei instead of spilling the beans? He had a pretty good idea she was a bad lady with allies, but he just basically spills the beans and gets himself killed. Saying it's because he's some kind of good moral dude who does the right thing is just justifying lazy writing. It's a dude who spent years lying about his adopted son's identity. Which is another weird bit of bad writing. Honestly, it seems like the showrunners just put the Jon being a Targyrean thing in there to cover up for that.

Ned thinks he has the commander of the City Watch as well as Renly on his side, only for both of them to abandon him due to their own ambitions. He thinks he holds all the cards and wants to give Cersei the chance to bow out because he's wary of killing children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Food jokes aside, a Storm of Swords was one of the best books I've ever read. So many awesome moments.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Littlefinger's death is one of the best moments of the show and one of Sansas crowning achievements.

"You are accused of murder, conspiracy to murder, and treason. How do you plead to these charges...

BAELISH?????"

I'd love to know how she sold that fakeout to everyone present.

"Okay guys, we're going to pretend like I'm putting Arya on trail and then I'll look at Petyr and put HIM on trial, the look on his face will be priceless!"

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

quote:

Gendry Rivers

Gendry Waters, how do they gently caress up even tiny poo poo like this?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Are we allowed to discuss the leaks here?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

pepito sanchez posted:

Aren't they supposed to "continue" GoT with an original series and story on Valyria set in the same universe? Speaking of terrible ideas.

They literally picked the least appealing era.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

quote:

On Game of Thrones, characters are free to while away hours, even entire seasons, on the periphery. The story lines move forward and dig deeper as the episodes progress but rarely circle back and almost never pause for reflection. When I asked Benioff and Weiss if it was possible to infer any overall intentionality to the upcoming 10 episodes, they sneered. “Themes are for eighth-grade book reports,” Benioff told me.

http://grantland.com/features/the-return-hbo-game-thrones/

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

That Italian Guy posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is only cause book Varys supports a Targaryen who's not in the show,

Who might just be a Blackfyre.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Seph posted:

it's just bad writing.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Six Feet Under also had an amazing ending.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Its Coke posted:

Someone unpaid with just some consumer video editing software fixed the Rhaegal scene: https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/bnq8to/rhaegal_dies_but_it_makes_slightly_more_sense/

The obvious limitations not-withstanding it's ridiculous how much of an improvement that is.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Really the evolution of fan sentiment was interesting. There were naysayers during seasons 5, 6, and 7, and loud arguments about show quality during 7, but suddenly the prevailing wisdom that "season 7 is great and you just don't want to like it nerds" stopped prevailing as 8 set in.

I became a naysayer after season 5 (Still liked watching but thought the show was in decline) and merely bringing that up caused people to label me as a book purist that couldn't accept that the show was catching up to GRRM.

It's nice to be vindicated at the end of the day. :agesilaus:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Sky Shadowing posted:

Even 8-2 was good, at least at first. It set up the idea that lots of these characters aren't making it through so let's sit with them all one last time.

Then nearly all of them made it through, cheapening it dramatically in retrospect.

I remember the ASOIAF subreddit having all these gigantic theories of how they thought episode 3 was going to pan out complete with the battle tactics they'd use, who would die and how they'd eventually find out that the Night King bypassed Winterfell to go to King's Landing.

Boy, were they disappointed.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

bobjr posted:

The Kingsguard lost all their good members besides Jaime in the rebellion, and Selmy only lived because Robert liked him, so he probably could have beaten most of them there.

The show did make the one over the top evil and a pedophile to make Ayra killing him look more good though.

How much better would it have been if Meryn Trant hires young prostitutes so that he can pretend they're the daughters he never had? That would've made Arya's arc way better.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

Remember the couple of extra dialogue scenes they wrote that gave us hope they would be able to competently add missing pieces in case the books didn't finish by the time the show caught up?

Ned's execution in the series IMO was a step up in almost every way.

1. Having Ned recognize Arya in the crowd and shout 'BAELOR!' to Yoren was a nice touch, you can see the gears grinding in Ned's head when he looks up and she's not there anymore.

2. Joffrey's body language implying that he's literally changing his mind about Ned right on the spot.

3. Once Joffrey gives the order everyone around him loses their poo poo, Cersei angrily whispers at him, Sansa starts shouting and you see Varys RUNNING to his side because Ned being dead will upset his plans. The only exceptions are Illyn Payne who doesn't waste a second to put his hood, the crowd who just want to see the traitor's head come off and an enormously euphoric Joffrey. How many times does he smile like that?

Seeing that moment on the screen gave me so much hope that they'd do the series justice and while the later seasons would also have scenes that transcend their novel counterparts none were quite as ingenious as this.

As for show-only scenes I'm very partial to Robert and Cersei's conversation about the Dothraki and their relationship.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

From what I remember the guy pretty much had a nervous breakdown after shooting wrapped so its not all that surprising.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/comments/bgm8d6/spoilers_tactical_preview_for_the_battle_of/

Threads like this have aged like milk.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

The Tarlys even being in that position was bad writing/plotting.

"I refuse to follow this foreign queen!"

- Notorious Targaryen loyalist Randyll Tarly

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

- So, the sand snakes kill Doran Martell, the last surviving member of the family of the man they love and are sword to avenge, because that makes sense.
Then they take power in Dorne and everybody just goes "yeah, okay, a bastard queen sounds totally fine, its not like there are any distant relatives of Dorne or minor houses or anything next in line..."

They also kill Trystane who never did anything to any of them, making jokes about it as he's barely fallen to the floor. The spear through his face mimicking the Martell's sigil was a nice touch, I suppose. Still a stupid scene.

quote:

- So, Ramsay is known to be an illegitimate bastard with a massive mean streak whose father is about to replace him with a legal heir. Ramsay stabs his father in the middle of the keep, betraying their lord and showing he can't possibly be trusted ever under any circumstances. Loyalty to Ramsay is meaningless. Then everybody just swears allegiance to Ramsay because... he's a very scary young man!?

What makes this especially egregious is that Harald Karstark is pissed at the Starks for kinslaying his father only to swear fealty to a person that literally killed his father right in front of his eyes. They didn't even bother filming a death scene for the guy, so sloppy.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah I missed the first actor cause holy poo poo did that guy know how to scowl

The person above wasn't kidding when he looks like he could be the Hound's brother.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

bobjr posted:

From what I understand the writers for 3 were mostly new and the guy who was originally going to do it was moved to another project. So we did get a vastly different ending than what was originally planned

The original ending would have involved eezo and black holes and was way more comprehensible than what we got.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Huh, guess I misremembered it completely then. That sounds horrible.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Hey now, there’s also the show where the confederates won the civil war for some reason!

And who has a better story than Nathan Bedford Forrest?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

YOUR MEAT... is bloody tough!! :haw:

What a great scene.

When the Greatjon is about to draw his sword Theon reacts even before Grey Wind does... :(

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

TOOT BOOT posted:

I was just thinking, if there was one moment that was a canary in the coalmine it was probably the cousin Orson scene.

I never understood why they felt the need to invent Lannisters when they're one of the few houses with plenty of members in the books.

Cousin Orson, Alton Lannister who gets killed by Jaime, Reginald Lannister who barely has one scene and is never mentioned again.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

bobjr posted:

Ghost just appearing alive after the Winterfell battle was really funny.

Almost everyone appearing alive after the Winterfell battle was absolutely ludicrous. Why the gently caress is Bronze Yohn Royce still alive?

Almost every character had multiple shots of them being surrounded/swamped by zombies but in the next scene they're alive and well. Even the Battle of the Bastards wasn't this awful.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Sky Shadowing posted:

Or "I know a killer when I see one." (standing amidst the wreckage of a million people that Daenerys literally just killed.)

LMAO you could just tell that some writer thought of that years ago and they forgot to put it in until the last episode.

I hated how inconsistent Varys became. "Robert's main problem was that he didn't want to rule" vs "Have you ever considered the best candidate is the one who does not want to rule?" only a season later.

lezard_valeth posted:

I love how D&D thought they were properly setting up papa Tarly betraying the Tyrell's a season earlier by having him go ":argh: FOREIGNERS!!1!1!" when having dinner with Sam and Gilly. Yup, that's all the motivation we need. He just hates foreigners oh so much that he would turn a blind eye to the whole family he serves getting the gently caress blown up. Next scene!

Not to mention that Tarly fought for the Targaryens during Robert's Rebellion.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I feel stupid now but I was really looking forward to how politically interesting the aftermath to Cersei blowing up the sept would be and then uhh there were no consequences for it whatsoever.

This is going to sound very :spergin: but the fact that very important seats/lordships remain vacant bugged the hell out of me. There's a new Dornish prince at the 'great' council at the end and they wouldn't even bother naming him.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Pattonesque posted:

There are two dudes at the final council whom we've never ever seen before

Not two.

Five.

The sheer incompetence is staggering.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Alhazred posted:

After Hardhome it was pretty much impossiu to portray the white walkers as anything but an unstoppable force. You can't show them destroying Hardhome and then show them taking two seasons to attack the north.

Hardhome was definitely thrilling but I hated the fact that they switched from slow zombies to fast ones.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I watched a lot of that show, but fell off. It's pretty samey.

I tapped out as soon as the Chinese lady was introduced, she was a walking stereotype in the worst ways imaginable.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Kind of forget

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

What about all the Qarth stuff? None of those storylines went anywhere. Or why the Others didn't kill Sam. Or Dorne's armies. Or why The Faceless Men just let someone go with all of their secrets because she killed one of the two other faceless men in the world.

Arya kills a faceless man only for Jaqen to go "Now a girl is truly no one!"

It doesn't even make sense until you realise that the only reason he says it so that Arya can say "No, I am Arya Stark of Winterfell!"

At least a lot of the books' awesome moments are earned instead of awkwardly set up.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I loved the whole 'Inches away from extinction just barely scraping by' vibe of the first season or two. The deeper they delved into the Cylons the less I cared.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

BSG's last season had an early scene where Tigh seemingly shoots Adama out of nowhere only for it to turn out to be all in his head.

I was actually kind of disappointed that they didn't go through with it. It probably would have been the most 'holy poo poo' moment in TV history as far as I'm concerned.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

mastershakeman posted:

but yeah game of thrones there's just nothing to say. a huge portion of people were OK with season 7 and 8 because they thought it was leading to something and it turned out that no, it absolutely wasn't.

When I poked fun of people on Reddit thinking up elaborate theories on how the battle of Winterfell was going to turn out only for people to tell me that I was a book purist who just wanted to hate the show. The amount of smug vindication I got afterwards will probably never be paralleled.

This is pretty apt in hindsight:

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/bihqqa/yet_another_tactical_analysis_of_the_upcoming/

I will say this; they put way more effort into it than the show-runners ever did.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I don't even care anymore.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9lRgk_HR-g

Amazing how much of a difference shuffling around scenes can make.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Bleck posted:

Tyrion does this on behalf of two of the main antagonists, one of whom is a sadistic psychopath and the other is a man who famously gave the order to have children raped and killed

The plan was 100% his though.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

romanowski posted:

this still sucks lol

To be fair they didn't have that much to work with, having Rhaegal die due to Dany's hubris still fits better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Happy Thread posted:

Remember when Euron captured Yara? Then she was just back again? I don't even remember Theon rescuing her. It was all so pointless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl-hhkekHgg

Even has a Rob McElhenny cameo.

Yara's attempted rescue of Theon was even more pointless and featured a shirtless Ramsay making short work of 'the finest killers in the Iron Islands.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK5eB1mF694&t=154s

How it was hyped up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVK5KTXvnCI

How it went down.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 6, 2020