Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

ALFbrot posted:

How could you forget the season's linchpin: Harry Strickland

I was thinking about this the other day. A faithful representation of the books would be possibly even worse lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Hey now, there’s also the show where the confederates won the civil war for some reason!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Every ending in ME3 involves blowing up all the mass relays in the galaxy in order to stop the reapers: effectively ending all galactic civilization because without the relays it takes decades at FTL to travel between stars, and murdering untold billions, because most worlds in the setting weren’t self sufficient.

I never played the games but this sounds pretty cool

Better than fuckin star citizen amirite??

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Pattonesque posted:

Emilia Clarke's charity

But enough about her acting career

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

oliwan posted:

wow 50 new posts in the got thread and it's all a bunch of gamer poo poo

Hey now, there’s no other place to discuss this on these forums with infinite and specific sub forums for anything people could possibly want to discuss!

gently caress mass effect and gently caress video game “culture” :flipoff:

And especially gently caress game of thrones!!!!!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
As someone else said upthread it’s actually amazing how quickly they torpedoed a decade long cultural phenomenon in the span of a month

It’s honestly super funny- “yeah I know we’re in the middle of this but we’re going to wrap it up as quickly as possible so we can make the star war, and our lovely confederate show nobody asked for or wanted”

Literally, “gently caress our current fans of our ongoing series, we are so over this, yawn” the contempt is incredible

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Tonally it was hosed how for 7.5 seasons danaerys was unironically presented as the unambiguous hero of the show and its world- Mhysa! Mother of dragons! THE UnBURNT!!! and in the third to last episode of the series go “she’s actually the MAD QUEEN!!!!” :supaburn:

Such a well written show that will definitely hold up over time. I called that in real time after the “podrick payne fucks” storyline which indicated what kind of dumb and unnecessary poo poo we’d get for the remainder of the series instead of anything intriguing or clever

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The worst thing in the entire show might have been arya killing the night king though

Just dumb

Showrunners making perfectly smooth troll face: did your expectations get... subverted?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Edmure tully: I have something to say, Maybe some ideas about how we can move forward past all this horrible, horrible poo poo that’s been hap-

Sansa Stark (strong character with agency): sit down and shut up!

Edmure: (does)

Wow, Sansa is my favourite character (after Arya of course)- so strong and so much agency shutting down the discourse like that because ?????

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

oliwan posted:

regarding confederate or whatever, didn't they at one point say something along the lines of 'what if there still was rampant racism in America???'

“What if America but white people get to say the n word??? Wouldn’t that be cool??”

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

A magic ice elf/necromancer who has some kind of omniscient powers to see where Bran is at all times even if he's in warg form and also he's immune to dragon fire, but Arya did a sort of cool move where she dropped the dagger from one hand to the other hand before stabbing. Night King dead, all white walkers/wights dead, eight seasons of building them all up as the Big Bad for absolutely loving nothing.

A day or so later, seeing the article titled "The Arya Challenge is a thing, because of course it is" (doing the dumb knife thing) was a real "gently caress this gay earth" moment

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
And humans have blue eyes too, not just white walkers! So it literally means nothing! :mad:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Phenotype posted:

What mattered was that there was a good storyline around it that made it meaningful.

And there wasn’t because themes are for book reports

The Night King has nothing to do with Arya. No history, no prior interaction, she never named him on her list of names (like Cersei, who she should have killed instead)

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

BrotherJayne posted:

And speaking of Tyrion, Varys, and Littlefinger, I actually thought that Mass Effect 3 had the perfect ending for a moment on my first playthrough...

Okay stop

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I once took a honeycomb and a jackass into a brothel

~ fin ~

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Too busy working on Wild Cards lmao

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Arya killing the night king is indefensible
lol

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Phenotype posted:

Let's just turn this thread into a garbage dump for terrible shows n stuff.

*checks thread title*

Done!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Precambrian posted:

Because he's an irrelevant pity invite who had to be invited even though nobody in the room respects him, and he's just trying to play statesman to forestall his neighbors calculating how much of his land they can steal.

At that point isn’t he lord of river run/ the river lands which while not a kingdom was no more or less autonomous than the 7 “kingdoms” ruled from the capital?

The second part: probably about the best thing he could be doing in that situation, no? And if the North is just leaving anyway why should he listen to Sansa? The North “needing” to be independent doesn’t really ring true considering it’s her BROTHER (who is ALSO a northman) who ends up being king!

And doesn’t the night king ice apocalypse highlight the need for the kingdoms to actually be more united than ever instead of having loving brexits due not to any specific or solvable disagreement but essentially because “we don’t take no guff?” The while issue from the nights watch perspective was that they weren’t united when they need to be. Everyone south was fighting each other and if they didn’t come together they would all have died. But of course... it’s made totally irrelevant because arya ends it all and nothing in the last 8 years ended up mattering whatsoever, lol

If I’m Sansa, I’m building an overpass bridge from north of the wall over winterfell so the ice zombies can run straight into the 6 kingdoms without getting any of my poo poo ruined. (Think the canada-Mexico bridge from Archer)

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Okay, I think I get it-

Precambrian posted:

Plus, that's what makes Bran a really interesting choice for king: he's a huge bribe to the North, to put a Stark on the throne, while being a king who could never lead armies in the field (reassuring Dorne et al. that this isn't ushering in Northern domination). The fact that Sansa doesn't accept the bribe is because she doesn't have to: she can take the whole pie and not have to pay taxes and win favor with her independence-minded bannermen.

That's not interesting, that's bad writing! :mad:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Picturing a City of God situation whereby everyone kills each other to take over each other’s land and titles until they themselves get killed by the Runts (varys’ little birds)

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I still can’t believe how stupid it was that Arya killed the night king

I had almost repressed it, then just remembered it and went come the gently caress on

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Solice Kirsk posted:

the terminator chase

Oh my god I forgot about this. This show was a pile of poo poo for years

It should have just been Varys and littlefinger trading barbs until one of them becomes king and danaerys and all the starks are dead

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
If season 8 was one episode where the bad guys won it would have been a much more satisfying ending

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Writing is for book reports :smuggo:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Disney played very coy about this because there wasn't any need to embarrass D&D publicly, but I have no doubt that the fan reaction to season 8 lost D&D the Star Wars job that they were rushing through the season to go do.

It’s 100% this and it owns

But it’s even funnier to think they were rushing through this to do the Confederate show (who on earth would watch such a thing?)

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Lid posted:

We are in a pandemic and there are zero people saying either "lets rewatch" or "now i have time to watch" for Game of Thrones.

From the biggest property on earth for a decade to forgotten and ignored.

For contrary people are rediscovering The Wire and Breaking Bad feud for "best tv show ever".

Haven’t re-watched the Wire but apparently you see something new every time. I don’t think Breaking Bad holds up to a rewatch because of how suspense-driven most of the series is. Knowing how the conflicts are resolved takes a lot of steam out of it. The best show is actually the Sopranos and nobody can offer a compelling counter to this- if they say it’s boring, you know you’re not dealing with someone who can be taken seriously

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

oliwan posted:

Mad Men as a whole is also better than Sopranos btw

I would say the same top 3 (Wire, Mad Men, Sopranos) but in reverse order

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
YOUR MEAT... is bloody tough!! :haw:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Yara's rescue mission of Theon

How did she even get there???

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
What belongs in the Best of GoT Youtube compilation? It's gotta have:

-Viserys naming all the dragons
-Shae the funny whore
-"Play with her arse!"
-Everything with Roz
-Podrick Payne's huge cock
-WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS
-Every Sand Snakes scene except the tits
-Olly's whole arc
-The bear and the maiden fair
-Arya deciding to herself whether or not to hide Needle (this is like a five minute scene)
-Danaerys' enemy shouting Monty Python insults
-Terminator chase in Braavos
-TOO OLD
-Yara's abortive rescue of Theon
-The direwolves, who all ended up either killed or forgotten and not mattering in any way
-Cousin Orson
-Grey Worm & Missandei

I'm sure there's lots more I'm forgetting, but then again, I've repressed most of it

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
At least they avoided Lady Stoneheart

What happened to uncle Benjen?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Strong Belwasn’t

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Rob Roy duel compared to Viper v. Mountain is very depressing to see how far we’ve fallen

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Also gently caress the Red Viper, he got what his hubris owed him

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Did you know that Podric Payne fucks???

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Sodomy Hussein posted:

We discover in the course of the story that the maesters are all useless old men who only print what's politically correct, so it would make sense that one of them is writing a volume of complete bullshit.

The problem is the creators (D&D) didn't create it with this smart idea in mind, they did it as a gently caress you to the audience

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Van Dis posted:

Might as well have had Tormund turn and say "Forget it Jon, it's a land of ice and fire" before walking through the wall to go north.

It’s all just a game. A game of THRONES

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

TOOT BOOT posted:

I wonder what happened to the baby white walker

Thank you for making me l o l remembering yet another inscrutable plot device that was totally forgotten and abandoned by the show’s creators

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Sky Shadowing posted:

Seriously, how many people during the quarantines did you hear "gee, you know what I should rewatch? Game of Thrones!"

Anything to forget. Were they really going to do an all-Arya show with no other characters from the world?