Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

lol if you think that this was planned way back in s1. They had to make up the whole "Septon journals" plot and have the literal script's avatar confirm it just because they either forgot or decided not to include the one character that was present at the Tower of Joy and is still alive to confirm Jon's parentage.

Jon's parentage reveal has been very clumsily handled in the show, which is quite shocking since that's the very reason D&D even got the greenlight to make the show.

Jon standing in front of Ned's tomb when Sam reveals this was something coincidental rather than D&D's 8 year master plan finally paying off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

esperterra posted:

Does anyone on the show ever actually call her Dany? Maybe Viserys at some point in S1?

Visery calls her Dany when pleading for his life.

And if I'm not mistaken Jon calls her Dany after the dragon rescue, but it came out of nowhere and it was super awkward

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think season 7 could’ve been really improved just by giving it 10 episodes so some of those plot beats got room to breathe.

I’d be interested in hearing what the showrunners would cut if they knew from s1 that they’d have 8 seasons and no more books. My first two guesses would be the direwolves and everything in Qarth.

You could easily cut enough “goes nowhere but it’s in the book” to have s7 be two whole seasons probably.

Cut Stannis' whole plot too, cause if you are gonna commit plot suicide then why even bother.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Phenotype posted:

Is this a serious argument that you don't think the series could have been plotted better if they knew where they were going the whole time?

If I were D&D and knew ahead of time that the gurm was never gonna finish his series, I would have cut from the start all the inconsequential plots that went nowhere (Dany loving around Qarth and Mereen too. The Sand Snakes plot could still be salvageable)

Remove Stannis, introduce Victarion instead.
Have Balon in his demented ideas of grandeur attempt to strike both the North and King's Landing at once while the Starks and Lannister are busy fighting. Send Victarion to protagonize the Blackwater Battle. (or alternatively don't introduce Victarion and have Balon do something and lead the attack himself)
Euron sneaks back from Valyria and is the one that uses magic to kill Renly causing the Tyrells to join forces with the Lannister and screw up the plans of his brother, setting up his election for the Kingsmoot.
Instead of Stannis attacking Mance Rayder's camp, have the WW do it, forcing Mance Rayder and the free folk to retreat and fortify in Hardhome. This sets up the possibility for negotiations with Jon Snow (I give you passage through the Wall if you help me with this bastard prick)
The only thing left to settle is where Melisandre comes from to resurrect Jon. Or just scrap her too. Have Bran do it. Give Bran something to do instead of handing cryptic pieces of trivia in the Winterfell patio

Also while you are at it, either tone down Ramsay or ham him up even more and have the Boltons be actual vampires. It would at least explain his shirtless victory against Yara.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 20, 2019

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Cymoril posted:

So, which episode do you think will be the one where we have a significant bodycount of characters who matter? I was hoping for at least one or two to be murdered in the first episode, but alas.

None.
The only main characters that will 99% die will be Cersei and a toss up between either Jon or Daenerys. Jaime has a 50/50 chance of either pull a vindicating heroic sacrifice or survive.
Euron will die, but I do not consider him a main character.
Tyrion, Arya and Sansa are safe.
Bran will either survive or ascend to a higher plane of existence.
The Hound had his reunion with Arya so he is dead.
Varys is not a main character, so he is dead. Bonus points if as he is dieing he realises the voice he heard when his cock was burned were the Others, but D&D probably forgot about this.
Beric is living on borrowed time for a long while now, so he is dead.
Brienne has high chance of surviving. Tormund has high chance of dieing. TriPod will gently caress the Night King to death.

TheRat posted:

This is some Dave Hill tier stuff right here

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 20, 2019

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

beanieson posted:

The hound & Jamie are for sure dead, the two of them have the best over all character arc going from lovely to heroic, so now it’s time to die heroically

Jaime's whole arc is 99% perfect and I just wished they wouldn't have had Tyrion pull the "Go on I dare you motherfucker" on Cersei first last season cause it lessened the impact when Jaime did it.

TheRat posted:

They've been setting up Tyrion going gently caress Dany for a while now, so I sincerely doubt he's safe.

I too believed that, but now I cannot see how they will pull it off, since Jaime has come to spill the beans that Cersei is not coming, and Bran has been right there all along, so unless he is Dr. Strangeing the whole thing there is no reason why he hasn't said "Oh, btw, this guy is planning to betray us".

Or maybe Bran's character is just a troll now

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 20, 2019

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I liked Stannis in s2, but that's mostly on Stephen Dillane. Specially the scene where he is writing the letter about Joffrey, I loved his delivery.

Also my friends and I loved that he was the first King contender to be shown charging in the front ranks (considering Robb's battles were cut off)

After s2 Stannis became super boring.

He is boring in the books too and his only saving grace is that his story is told from Davos' PoV, and Davos is a really cool character.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I was watching a season 1 clip and I gotta give it to the directors, they made the smart choice about keeping the passage of time vague (till they completely threw it out the window last season that is), because holy poo poo

Had he been on that other "highest grossing show on TV" he would have been axed seasons ago for having the nerve of going through puberty

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Taear posted:

Because in the book there's a shitload more character development for both of them. That's basically it.
I think a show only watcher is going to have it lost on them.

I read Storm of Swords like 10 years ago, so I might be misremembering, but I think you are slightly overexagerating with the Mountain getting a shitload more of character development.

He is just a really tall and really strong guy who murders, rapes or both whoever gets in his way when he is feeling pissy.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I work the Sunday night shifts in a pharmacy. For the most part it's pretty chill, but enough people come that I can't view the episode without having to pause every 10 mins.

Decided the best next option was to read goons reaction.

Completely lost my poo poo laughing when the Arya/Gendry scene reactions started.

A customer was sideglancing at me from the shampoo isle like :chloe:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Melisandre was standing right there, next to Ghost and Daario

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

mllaneza posted:

She is the true queen just because she owns so loving hard in every scene she's in

Nah. She was cool and funny as a one-scene thing.

Now she is just annoying. I haven't watched tonight's episode yet so maybe she got better, but last week I cringed so hard when the little poo poo stood up to the person that brought 2 armies and 2 dragons to bail their asses from certain doom and went

"wE BoW 2 jOn snUH, nO u"

like if she didn't have fan armor, that would have been where Dany has her burned down on the spot. HECK, that's exactly the same circumstance that got Sam's family burned.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

JT Jag posted:

ah yes, a prisoner of war always gets the same treatment as an allied foreign leader

as if the psychotic power hungry pyromaniac could tell the difference

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

JT Jag posted:

besides, the dragons weren't even in the building when Lady Mormont did that, how the hell would they burn her

she can probably work the details out

I mean poo poo, she's had like 5 different advisors of varying degrees of competence throughout the years that at multiple points have told her "DANY NO" and she just covered her ears and went "DANY YES" and burned some hostage, prisoner of war or guest

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
3 more hours of shift left.

Can someone remind me why Bran represents a threat to the NK at all? Or why would he be interrsted in him?

Heck why was the NK threatened by the old guy in the tree at all?

All they've ever done was invade his private me time

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

No Wave posted:

Gendry was kind of handsome back in the day. Unfortunate they made him look all shaven and gross and constantly surprised. Maybe the scene would have gone down better if there was anything appealing about him left and he didnt look like the most generic GoT extra possible.

See, this is my problem with the scene too. I don't give a crap about Masie Williams. Gendry was hot back in season 1-2, then he dissapeared for 3 seasons, and now he looks like he is 40 years old. I checked the actor's instagram and he's still handsome, so I guess they went for the "homeless disease ridden old man" look for the show.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

PostNouveau posted:

I would really like to know what the gently caress is so special about the Three-Eyed Raven that the Others can't help but try to kill him. So far, just seems like it's some dude who can see everything. Not sure how that's a big threat to the Others.

I asked the same thing, and apparently it's because he can tattle tale on the NK's doing, and he likes his privacy.

I mean if I had an army of literal hundreds of thousands that obey my every order (and said army most likely increases with every raid) and also a giant zombie ice dragon I wouldn't care much about strategy and tactical warfare and would just resort to zerg rush the tree hugging nerds

Maybe it will be revealed that the Three-Eyed Raven has some other kind of power, or the time paradox theory will turn out to be right but I still got my doubts on this last one.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What was the three-eyed raven supposed to have been doing all this time. If he’s humanity’s collective memory it seems like there was more pressing poo poo he could have been doing than being a tree on the other side of the wall.

Turns out humanity's collective memory/subconscious is a troll

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
lol i'm watching the episode now

Jaime is hosed and Bran, the almighty seer whose word apparently is now revered as the unquestionable truth, decides to chime in for his "old friend" that he spent days waiting for in the snow and says

"the things we do for love"

wtf Bran that is not helping at all :lol:

I love Bran. Please let him turn into the NK and kill everyone.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
something I'm really surprised I didn't see any goon mention either this episode or last is how, if youtube's 2018 recommended taught as anything at all, is that you can't cast obsidian and make a sword

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
wow arya's talk about "I kNOw dEaTH It hAs mANy FacEs" is super cringy

the sex scene can only be an improvement over this

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Xae posted:

Someone did a video on casting obsidian. The short version is that you can, but it's a huge pain in the rear end and isn't worth it.

Yeah but said video also said how they had to use a special furnace and that it almost ended up getting hosed up due to the obsidian corroding it and blablabla :science: not something medieval fantasy Planetos would have but hey this is the sidetitty and dragon show

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I want Robin Arryn back just so that he can finally live his dream of seeing a small man fly

jfc Tyrion has no place patronising anyone anymore. It's been 4 seasons since he last did anything relevant, and 5 since he did anything that would qualify him as smart.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

CornHolio posted:

You know, in the sequels set thirty years after this season, Arya and Gendry's kid will be the one true heir to the Baratheon bloodline and could challenge the throne...

Ah yes, can't wait for the adventures of Eddard Robert Potter Stark

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Nikolaj Coster-Waldeu please run away, this show doesn't deserve you!

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Ok, finished episode, this is probably the last """character development""" stretch we will get, so now I can finally decide who I want in the spin off series:

-Tormund
-Jaime
-Brienne
-Pod
-Davos

The rest of the characters can die next episode and series end there. Spin off starts with the band travelling to Mereen going "boy, that was a close call, I'm so glad we managed to get out". Upon arriving they find out that Daario managed to establish a state of democracy and the city is prospering.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Ramsay's corpse is going to rise and Theon will finally get his chance at payback

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Rosalind posted:

Gonna be kinda weird to see an undead made out of literal dog poo poo.

We are getting centuries old spoopy skeletons next episode. don't rule anything out

except elephants

and giant spiders

those shits are never gonna happen

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Fellatio del Toro posted:

they should burn another kid

burn arya

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Hobo Clown posted:

Dragons can still be killed so flying alone to King's Landing is pretty much a guaranteed suicide mission even if he manages to cause some damage first. It would be a real bonehead move for the Night King to split his forces just so he can swerve us, the audience.

the dragon IS dead. the only way cersei could kill it if the NK really did try to zerg rush KL is with either dragonglass scorpion arrows (rare) or valyrian steel arrows (super rare).

Then again, she has Qyburn on his side. Dude probably halfway developing wyldfire nukes for all we know

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I mean, aren't there like a fuckton of dead people buried all over the place thanks to the War of the Five Kings, the Battle of the Bastards, etc.,etc.

There is no loving way the NK can lose

KILL 'EM ALL :getin:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Raccooon posted:

It does seem significant that they didn't show the NK at the end of the last episode. He def not at Winterfell.

He went to the Iron Bank to plead for a loan to buy some elephants

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

TheRat posted:

How is the golden company dying if the NK goes down solo? I'm fairly certain resurrecting people burnt alive in dragonfire isn't a thing.

it's blue fire, duh are you paying attention?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
^^^this guy still trying to apply logic or the show's internal rules. The NK will burn people with his zombie dragon and they will come back to life just fine

Hobo Clown posted:

Night King is marching his whole surprise army with him to King's Landing? That's like a two month round trip at least, especially for something that size. I think Winterfell might think something is up with the skeleton crew staring at them for that long.

He hitches a ride on Euron's ship. He already hosed the Queen, he no longer gives a poo poo.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Crow Jane posted:

Counterpoint: second Daario is much, much cuter.

That's not what his character was supposed to be though. He was supposed to be someone Daenerys had the hots for but knew she couldn't trust. And first Daario pulled that off relatively well with his :smug: face

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
you've got to be kidding me

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
show saved, this is now the best anime ever

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I really hope while all this poo poo was going down Qyburn managed to perfect a Wildfire Nuke and the whole of Winterfell gets blasted to poo poo within next episode's first 5 minutes. The remaining 3 episodes are just Cersei drinking wine and gloating.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Guze posted:

Preview for next week shows who survived

loving glad Missandei and Varys survived. Oh the show just wouldn't be the same without them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I am not gonna lie though, for a good solid minute when the NK was walking towards Bran I thought they were gonna go for a "NK wins and kills all, but Bran pushes the Cosmic Reset button and we are back to the previous day" thing

I am glad we got the anime ending though