Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

teagone posted:

I think they're both way better in their GoT roles than anything else I've ever seen them in. And knowing what Emilia Clarke went through during filming a few seasons back is pretty insane. But yeah, their chemistry could be better.
Say what, now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Karmine posted:

I’m not saying you’re wrong about the bolded part, but I dunno, it makes sense to me that, when everyone is convening at Winterfell, people who haven’t seen each other in a while will see each other again and we can follow up on/resolve hanging threads of story.
People here think following up on plot threads is fan service.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I thought this episode was absolutely fantastic. It was nonstop relationship and story payoff.

People waited eight seasons to see Jon Snow ride a dragon and then complained that it was a waste of time.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Roland Jones posted:

Is there something I'm missing? I'm pretty sure that Jon is not actually the heir to the Iron Throne; he joined the Night's Watch and formally forsook any claim he had to any crowns ever. The line of succession should skip over him. Just like it skipped over, you know, the other Targaryen in the Night's Watch.
He fulfilled his vow by dying and there's plenty of time for the show to address everything else.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm re-watching this episode and I really don't understand how people can say nothing happened. It's non-stop characters interacting who haven't interacted in years, if at all ever. It's amazing.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Phenotype posted:

The thing to remember is that in Westeros, people aren't ever really that intelligent. Remember when Sam cured Jorah's greyscale, and the maester asks him how he did it, and he's like "Well, I read the instructions in the book and did what it told me to" and the maester is like "omg we never thought of that!"
This is the exact opposite of what happened.

The maester was like, "yo, we've thought of that and this should've killed you and we're not going to reward your stupidity just because it worked."

Some of y'all are really bad at watching television.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Shneak posted:

Watched the thing.

That sure was a filler episode of Game of Thrones: The Final (six episode) season.
-Jon saw both Bran and Arya for the first time since episode 2.
-Arya saw Gendry and the Hound for the first time since Season 3.
-Tyrion and Sansa saw one-another for the first time since the purple wedding.
-Jon FLEW A loving DRAGON.
-Theon rescued his sister from Euron.
-Euron and Cercei hosed.
-Even loving Qyburn is like "yo, it is super not good that the dead have advanced beyond the wall."
-Sam learned about the fate of his family.
-The Dead killed all the Umbers and everybody in their castle and the Night King left some really loving creepy child guts art.
- JON loving LEARNED HE'S THE HEIR TO THE SEVEN loving KINGDOMS AND HAS BEEN loving HIS AUNT.
-Oh, and Brandon faced off with the guy who pushed him out a loving WINDOW in EPISODE GODDAMN ONE.

"Filler."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I gotta' tell ya', after re-watching the series, I had this moment when Dany lays waste to all of the Khals, and all the Dothraki bow to the magic loving fire queen who just killed their rulers, and I had this twinge in the back of my mind where this little voice went,

"remember how you spent days arguing with dumbasses who couldn't understand why the people would bow to the person who just killed their leaders in the society where killing the leader makes you the leader and also she walked out of loving fire?" and I was like, "yeah, I do remember that, and I wish I wasn't having this passing thought right now because it's distracting me a little bit from this awesome moment."

I really am a glutton for punishment to still be doing this.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

A Typical Goon posted:

You described the filler quite excellently, yes
Tell me what you think should've happened that wouldn't be filler. Put some skin in the loving game.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Goons Are Great posted:

Nah, since like season 5 goons dislike the show professionally just for the cause of it.

Remember last season how we spent like 2 pages discussing why Dany using Drogon in the army fight was poo poo and bad and proves how poo poo the show has become, as she didn't use it vertically in a StuKa move.
I ping pong between my hopeful self thinking a lot of people have concrete and valid problems they're just horrible at articulating and knowing deep down that Cinema Sins and their ilk have convinced huge swaths of people that not being media literate is just as good as being media literate.

I don't think being a troll is a thing. I think it's just a defense people use when they run out of arguments that support their bullshit position.

tpink posted:

This is an excellent way of putting it, and is also why I am super not optimistic for an ending that would have any tonal consistency with what the first seasons of the show have promised us.
The first loving scene was about ice zombies.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

He helped Jaime do that and if he flips immediately on Jaime then why wouldn't he flip on her in the future?
Which raises the questions: "Is Bronn more greedy than he is loyal? Is Cercei more arrogant than she is cautious?" I'm interested in seeing which happens, because the show has made the case for all of them, and oh, by the way, we haven't seen it play out yet.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Between Star Wars, Marvel, Game of Thrones, and every other fantasy IP, I am all the way fed up with folks acting like a show not doing exactly what they thought should happen, or adhering to some bullshit "I studied the blade" tactical realism meaning it's bad."

Cinema Sins is terrible and you're all bad at consuming media.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

D-Pad posted:

The will he/won't he Bronn v. Tyrion chat confuses me. It's pretty obvious this is going to be where Bronn says "remember when you told me if anybody ever paid me to kill you that you would double the price? Well now is that moment"
Which would be cool! Or if they subvert that moment, that'd be cool too! What wouldn't be cool is not setting up any situation where we follow up on it at all, which seems to be what some people here want.

Unless that happened, then we'd complain for several pages.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Again, Cersei said she'd pay Bronn up front.

Why the gently caress shouldn't he just take the money and run??
He might! Because he might be loyal beyond how much he's let on. Or he might do the other thing and reveal that he really is for sale to the highest bidder.

Almost like this is exactly what they want us to be wondering.

And to whoever compared CinemaSins to MST3K? Wow. No. One instils in grognard chuds the idea that good writing is bad writing and the other lovingly pokes fun at bad films.

What sets them apart mostly, though, is how much damage their respective fanbases have wrought upon film discourse.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

These same complaints always come up in the first episode. The pieces are being set up again - we’ll get some major stuff right away it looks like.
Then we'll all have to hear about how they should slow down and things feel rushed now.

I used to think this, when I was more optimistic, was because different people think different things. But I remember these people now. And they take positions diametrically opposed to previous ones the week after.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

nooneofconsequence posted:

The whole season is just reunions for fans to jerk off to.
And I love it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Dude chill

"Congrats on spending more time whining about people whining about plot holes..." :jerkbag: comeon
You really need to stop with your thread gatekeeper bullshit.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If somebody told the first half of a really good story at a dinner party, then stopped and said they'd tell you later, and then never did, you'd feel like they wasted your time.

Now imagine that story was several books long.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm Leslie Jones reacting to people calling the episode boring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2xtE2umMHM

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Because gatekeeping women's sexuality is more than just a icky character attribute and leads to things like poor health care for women, restricted abortion access, career limitations, etc.

Some opinions need to get attacked, OP
As cringey as it was seeing somebody we've watched grow up in front of our eyes get naked on camera and do the deed, this is a really fuckin' excellent point.

You've changed my mind.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

They never said how long it took to get anywhere, but since nobody disappeared for six episodes while they sailed somewhere, everybody assumed they were teleporting, rather than the more obvious "nothing loving interesting happened while they were traveling."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm posting from the alternate universe where Arya didn't kill the night king and everybody's complaining that her whole trip to Bravos and training with the faceless men forever was a waste of time because it never paid off.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rape Stink posted:

I'm not defending this episode, considering it was... not good, but why do people think we need several scenes of Bron traveling thousands of miles completely alone just to make sense of him getting to Winterfell?

Like, why is not showing people making boring uneventful treks considered teleporting? Do you really need to see that poo poo to understand how people get places?
I will defend the episode, because it was delightful, and basically, my theory is that the CinemaSins "why didn't they just fly the eagles to Mordor" crowd have taken over the thread and everybody who's actually media literate has ceded it to them.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Tom Gorman posted:

I think its more that a lot of characters in the show early on were shown to be very clever and cunning. But now they're just dipshits and miss things like a huge fleet of ships coming right at them and about 20 other extremely obvious things.

If Tywin or Olenna were still around the world would still have at least two brains in it and none of this would've happened.
They knew there was a fleet. They were going to burn it with dragons. We then learned that the Scorpion Qyburn designed had been improved upon and mass produced and one of the dragons died.

So, a thing that was introduced a long time ago and proved ineffective paid off from a narrative standpoint. Something TVIV people are terrible at recognizing because CinemaSins has convinced people that media illiteracy is just as good as media literacy.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 6, 2019

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Holy balls I really don't get the raging hard-on so many people have for CinemaSins. Did it kill your dog?
I said exactly why I loathe them. Like, in words. Out loud.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Tom Gorman posted:

i mean if you're close enough to get shot by the ship crossbow you should probably be able to see the ship firing it

is this really in the realm of nitpicky nerd poo poo
Yes, because the Scorpion was laughably ineffective when it was introduced, and the same brand of dipshit complaining now was going "lol why did they introduce that poo poo if it wasn't going to work?"

Because it would work later, after it was iterated upon, and so it wouldn't be a deus ex machina.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Why should we ever worry about narrative satisfaction when we can just point out that Luke, Han, and Leia aren't wet after they soaked themselves in the trash compactor so we can feel superior to people who dared to not care about that?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Snark aside, this episode really took its time to close off some things that've been simmering and threatening to boil for a while, and I enjoyed every bit of it. I feel the same way about this that I did the end of Lost, in that I was emotionally satisfied with how it dealt with the things I cared about and showed up to witness people kvetching about things that were either answered for me satisfactorily or didn't need answering. And I'm sorry for being snarky about it.

But seriously, gently caress Cinema Sins. Imagine if MST3K didn't have a good heart and was just out to prove it was better than everybody else. There's a reason they kept the B Movie production values after they had an actual budget.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Irony Be My Shield posted:

To me "subverting expectations" is more about arriving at a conclusion that wasn't obvious, but which on reflection does make sense given what came before. For the most part Game of Thrones is sticking to obvious plot beats, it's just framing them in really stupid ways. For example, it's not really surprising that the anti-dragon weapon which was introduced last season killed Dany's wounded dragon. However the actual scene involved an entire fleet snipe-ambushing a dragon by hiding behind a rock.
I've gone on several rants in this thread on how stupid people's arguments about certain poo poo has been, including one about how the Scorpion was introduced last season, proved ineffective, and had it not been reintroduced, would be complained about as it would seem like a dropped plot thread, so it makes perfect sense that it was expanded upon, brought back, and killed a dragon.

But, uh... you've got me here. That definitely could've been handled better.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm a little cheesed off that the climax of Game of Thrones boils down to "bitches be crazy, amirite?"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

As it stands, it would take at least three more episodes, if not a whole other season, to properly wrap up everything that's been set up, but lol we only have like 80 minutes to go.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lid posted:

Dig up the thread for the last episode of Lost with the OP gif emphasising the show was about the characters not the mysteries. Now think how memories of Lost has aged with people at the time saying all these complaints are ignoring its about the characters.
I defend Lost to this day, and I've been defending this dumb show too, but this is why I've stopped.

It's not interesting as a character study anymore.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Snowy posted:

:swoon: The rest of the episode is like Swept Away, just a romance between two two of them on a deserted island :swoon:
Are you seriously rooting for the murderous incest couple?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Either one!

(Though Jon hasn't so much as kissed Dany since he found out, I think.)

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Did we ever see Cersei doing anything bad to her people after she wiped out her enemies? Probably would've been better leaving her on the throne than letting Drogon & Dany torch everything.
Chiming in from the alternate universe where they showed those things, and you just said over there that it was gratuitous to show Cercei being cartoonishly evil for the umpteenth time.

Kidding aside, this show really has gone off the rails. I'm entirely unsurprised the creators are spoiled rich kids.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I said come in! posted:

Thankfully Star Wars is already at rock bottom.
The Last Jedi made over a billion dollars and was the most interesting flick they've made since Empire.

Or did you mean the movie about the mediocre white guy that didn't do nearly as well as the movie where women and POC took center stage?

Anyway, I'm betting none of the spinoffs conclude. Prequels are terrible. People want to know what happens next. Not what happened before the thing they already cared about.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ginette Reno posted:

the last jedi was terrible
I'm sorry most people on Earth disagree with you and that your opinion is shared by literal Nazis. Must be rough.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Just Chamber posted:

Game of Thrones season 8 also sucked and the main reason again, is the terrible writers. Or are we going to get articles now saying we hated it because Dany is a woman?
The whole end of Game of Thrones is that the wise woman turned out to be a crazy tyrant, so I kinda' doubt it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DoctorGonzo posted:

what the gently caress is this poo poo
Most people love The Last Jedi, Russia sockpuppeted a bunch of twitter bots to poo poo on it, and it made a shitload of money.

I don't know what you're not understanding here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If Star Wars came out this year, there'd be countless Youtube videos about what a Mary Sue Princess Leia was.

Also, this finale was better than the last four eps.