Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

How did one of the greatest spymasters in Westeros not hear anything about a fleetwide retrofitting for a new goddamn dragon killing machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Steve2911 posted:

In fairness to Varys he's lost his spy network and also wants Dany dead now.

I mean, you're not wrong. It's just one of those things that strikes me as an absolute oversight rather than a conscious writing choice.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Hizawk posted:

No, only half the Dothraki died in that charge. The other half were waiting on their home planet. Same with the unsullied, whom you never see fighting once the walls were breached. Half of them were on their home planet as well.

They're taking notes from Bran "I have to go now, my planet needs me" Stark.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Crow Jane posted:

That said, I don't exactly buy Jon and Dany either.
That's because the actors, for all the good things to say about them, have no chemistry together.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

this episode is infinitely better if you just mute it and put yakkity sax on repeat for 80 minutes.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Someday, when GRRM is on his deathbed and surrounded by piles of pizza grease stained money, I hope his big powermove is finally releasing the last book in the series- a novelization of seasons 6-8.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

You know what else is for 8th grade book reports? character arcs, and 8th graders are better writers than those two chodes.

edit: I actually forgot how much the last season bothered me until I caught up on this thread. My coworker told me last night that she's finally watching GoT (and currently in season 2) and I wish I could rewatch all those early episodes for the first time again

thunderspanks fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 8, 2021

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Just Chamber posted:

People do complain about Jaime not having a happy ending, and going back to King's Landing to save Cersei being out of character at that point but I never felt that way. They've always had an awful, broken relationship and it isn't like Jaime suddenly realises this when Brienne comes along or whatever, he's always known it and he's always resented her for it, resented that he loves such a person like Cersei. Brienne gives him some respite and some good moments but ultimately the person he loves is Cersei for better or worse, they've had children together, gone through it all together and whether he goes to King's Landing thinking he can save her from her mistakes, or to kill her (not to free himself but to free others, echoing his Kingslayer role), it's more he is almost taking responsibility for the damage their relationship and Cersei herself has caused. Their connection, lovers, parents, twins means they are forever tied, he will never abandon her whatever she does to him, and the pain she has inflicted on others he feels is partly his responsibility and he has to fix it, that's his tragic fate. I think the ending really emphasizes that those two loved each other probably more deeply than anyone else in the show, it was just the most toxic relationship possible.

I mean the quote "If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention" is pretty much perfect for Jaime's story.

Yeah sure but he solves it by either Romeo & Juliet'ing that poo poo or straight up killing her and having a mental breakdown afterwards. Not running back to her like a puppy dog and getting crushed under a collapsing roof. urrrrghhhhhhh

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Sky Shadowing posted:

On freefolk ages ago I saw an alleged "leak" that was that D&D weren't the only ones tired of GoT, that even the actors were starting to get ready to be done.

That's something I honestly hadn't ever really considered, that it's got to be tiresome to every year, spend a significant portion of your life doing the exact same thing. Being actors is a job with a lot of variety, which I'm sure enticed a lot of people into that profession. They didn't get into their careers to endlessly play the same character in the same story (what is this, a soap opera?).

A part of me wonders if that was part of the reasoning for the shortened final two seasons. That in the earlier seasons, it wasn't too much work. The story bounced between so many plotlines- for example, Jon in the North, Sansa in KL, Arya and the Hound's Excellent Adventures, Dany in Essos, whatever diarrhea the Dorne storyline became, Tyrion, Brienne, Ramsay and Theon- that it was not much work for one specific actor. They had their weekly check-in on their storyline and then done. Less work than your average Hollywood movie.

When Cersei blew up the Great Sept of Baelor, the number of active storylines consolidated down to Team Dany (and Jon), King's Landing, and the North. Meaning a lot more screentime for characters. The formula that had somewhat worked for checking in with each plotline for a few minutes each episode became a lot harder to stretch. A full 10 episode season becomes a lot more work, a lot more time, for the actors.

That said you'll never convince me that the actors didn't have conversations with GRRM about their characters and where they would eventually wind up. Hell, Conleth Hill came out just a week or two ago and said he had exchanged emails with GRRM about Varys.

You can't tell me Emilia Clarke, after nearly dying twice to aneurisms and dealing with horrific anxiety about being an actress as a result, wouldn't have had conversations with GRRM (who seemed very fond of her) about Dany's final fate. Because Emilia has said Dany was her inspiration, her source of strength, and Dany's show ending caught her VERY off-guard. She said after she read the scripts she spent hours just wandering around London in a daze, and had panicked phone calls with family members where- without saying Dany's final fate- she basically sought anxious reassurance (something I've become very familiar with ) about "do you think Dany is evil? Could she ever do something that would make you not like her?"

Say what you want about the actors and that situation, but there was to my knowledge absolutely nothing stopping D&D from outsourcing the writing, other than their own hubris.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Sanguinia posted:

Its an interesting scene because we the audience want to side with Arya, we know that Sandor is not doing Syrio's skill justice, we saw him beat four men in armor to the ground with that stick, even with they were useless guard mooks. But we also have to acknowledge the lesson he's teaching to Arya, which is a valuable one in the show's universe: skill, especially in mere orthodox martial arts like sword-fighting, has limits. Equipment, circumstances and your willingness to do whatever it takes are just as important, maybe even more important.

who needs armor when you have plot armor

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

The show will be to GoT what Caprica was to BSG.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

stev posted:

What the hell happened in 307 and 506?!

307 was boring and 506 was Sansa getting raped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Macaluso posted:

The later seasons of Scrubs sucked poo poo and as the show went on the characters became more and more like clown versions of themselves. I especially hated the weird inflection Elliot grew to have. None of the dialogue felt natural anymore. There were a few standout good bits, like Dr Cox accidentally killing three patients, but it was sandwiched between too much goofiness (and yes it was obviously a comedy but they went too far into wacky). Like the crazy stuff that used to be part of JD's fantasies were now happening to the characters in their real lives. Like when Turk pretzels himself to fit into JD's bag to get cookies, or the giant holes filled with water that a car could fit into so in the parking lot the Janitor set up to prank JD.

Also I got extremely tired of JD going AGYOOOOO whenever he fell over

This is a real measurable phenomenon on most TV shows that run too long. Way easier to pick out in comedies though, since those character traits are constantly used for cheap laughs.