Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Azhais posted:

What are the ME3 writers doing besides hopefully being homeless? Are they doing a GoT game? Will we have three different colored endings?

Pretty much all still working for BioWare. Mac Walters was brought in from another project to *save Mass Effect: Andromeda* which should tell you something about how things are going over there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
the wall being 700 feet tall owns hard. if it was 100 feet you'd be like "oh that's tall" but 700 feet is some crazy poo poo, more things should be 700 feet tall

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Dazerbeams posted:

The best parts about Boardwalk Empire were Eli's realistic fights. My fuckin' son!

I've always liked HBO's one on one fight scenes. Rome, Deadwood, even Brienne vs the Hound. All quality brawls.

real talk, Dan Dority vs. Captain Turner is better than any fight on Game of Thrones, and that's not an insult to Game of Thrones' fights

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Low Desert Punk posted:

what the gently caress are the dothraki going to do? Their Khaleesi is dead and they're in a foreign land where everyone hates them and nobody speaks their language

Are we genuinely supposed to believe they're going to listen to Bran?

honestly they'll be fine, they're all about raiding and ravaging so now they can do that to their heart's content in a whole new place!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

mary had a little clam posted:

Hello, casual fan here. Question:

What's the farthest or most remote location depicted in the show? I like maps and I've been looking at Westeros and Essos and listening to Hardcore Game of Thrones (a parody of Hardcore History). Is it Qarth?

Kinda wish we got to see the Shadowlands or GRRMs Lovecraft tribute cities.

I mean probably that place where the Night King creates new White Walkers, right? but that's off the map up north somewhere

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

When the walls start getting breached, you pull back to the keep which has the strongest fortifications and taller walls. Dothraki come in from behind to do quick strikes into flanks. Maybe they get lucky and catch the NK in the back and that's GG, assuming they are equipped with dragonglass (which they should be).

I mean at bare minimum you can have a few thousand Dothraki acting exclusively as horse archers with dragonglass arrowtips hiding out off to the side -- then once the battle is joined they roll up on the unprotected Walker general, fire one or two volleys, and that's it for those particular Others.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

And after Cersei blew up the Sept, and went REALLY evil she started in all black for herself, and her kingsguard got rid of the gold armor.

remember when people on this show wore colors other than black, that was pretty cool

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

:perfect:

Add in the Edmure "can't hit poo poo" gif and it's beautiful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEcZcoe8KIg

radmure 4ever

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Imagine having this much cultural cache and throwing it in the toilet lmao

Goldman Sachs dad havin piece of poo poo

the mass effect 3 of tv seasons

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

She turned a guy's sons into pies then fed them to him, then killed the entire line of a family with poison. This was after she gauged out a man's eyes and then let him bleed out. Arya is not "pure" anything besides psychotic, and I pity the poor native peoples that end up in the way of her "explorations": she would make Columbus look like a Teddy Bear.

Arya Stark, Hero of Winterfell, Founder and President of the Stark East Sothyros Company

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Rose Leslie's family also owns at least two actual castles, so I think they can afford 120k per month for rehab

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

The fact Dany is a POV character in the books actually hurt her on the show. They didn't do a great job showing all the self-doubt she shows as GoT went on.

You could argue she's not shot as a POV character for almost the entirety of Season 8

particularly everything after the bells scene. She's someone the POV characters have to deal with from that point on

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I think these are fun, and Emilia Clarke should try comedy she might be better at it than serious drama

I think out of all the actors in this show for whom their character was their first big break, she runs the least risk of being typecast because a. her actual personality is completely different from Daenerys and b. everyone's so used to seeing her with a ridiculous blonde wig that they won't immediately go "oh that's Khaleesi" when she's in a romcom a few years from now.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Android Blues posted:

He introduced Dany to Jon, and vouched for Jon's character. Without him, the Jon-Dany alliance that winds up defeating the Night King's army probably doesn't happen. Dany probably takes King's Landing easily, then gets swarmed by an army of the dead ten times the size of the one that attacked Winterfell within a year or two.

That's literally it, though. I'm pretty sure everything else he did for her was a terrible mistake or ended poorly for reasons outside his control.

Once they got beyond the books Tyrion got insanely dumb (because Benioff and Weiss are good at writing one-on-one character scenes but bad at plotting out how an intelligent character would react to complex political and military circumstances)

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Mameluke posted:

The books are insanely edgelordy, Bronn marries a minor character whose sole purpose is to be shat on by literally everyone else in King's Landing

he's betrothed to Lollys in the show too, but in the books she's obese and notably dim, while in the show she just seems kind of dull (in her one scene where Jaime breaks the betrothal)

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
GRRM is really good at quieter scenes, like the Septon Meribald speech about war

He gets very GRRMy when it comes to sex and violence though

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

-Blackadder- posted:

One thing that occured to me, someone pointed out about the scene with the Dothraki charge and their flame scycles going out when facing the dead that the problem was that the writers clearly started with that specific scene in mind and then worked backwards to set it up, which was part of why the strategic aspect of the defense of winterfell seemed to be so stupid and almost like an afterthought.

They don't have to read von Clausewitz or anything but yeah, something like that makes your characters look insanely dumb. Like hey, assume the Dothraki have a way successful charge and not all of them die -- now they're stuck hundreds of yards away from anyone that can help them. So your plan is to just have them all die at the very beginning?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
honestly fascinating how much discussion of this show has cratered since the final episode

like it was bound to slow down but people stopped wanting to think about it within like two days

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://twitter.com/MusketAnna/status/1218656537092161536

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

Much like good writing in the last 2-3 seasons of GoT, this page does not exist

huh go figure

the basic thrust was that it was amazing how GoT was a dominant cultural force for nearly a decade and, save for maybe one or two SHAME gifs has disappeared entirely from the discourse on account of how bad Season 8 was.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Phenotype posted:

Yep, it's pretty amazing the way they cratered it so bad that no one even wants to talk about it anymore. I got in a conversation in another thread about how it's miles worse than, say, Dexter or Battlestar Galactica because of the nature of the show and the plotlines that have been going on since season 1. You can still watch some of the good seasons of Dexter and appreciate it as just a fun little disconnected serial killing adventure, but no one ever goes on fun little disconnected adventures in GoT -- it's all miserable-but-intriguing storylines building on one another until it turns out the denouement is a wet fart and you resent all the time you wasted on watching miserable intrigue that led nowhere.

There's gotta be a book to be written about the number of formerly-beloved franchises in the last 20 years that absolutely did not stick the landing

like off the top of my head:

Game of Thrones
Mass Effect
Dexter
How I Met Your Mother
Battlestar Galactica
New Star Wars
Lost

like modern finales seem to be like, one or two classics, a decent number of average efforts, and a shockingly high number of franchise-killing duds

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

bobjr posted:

Game of Thrones should have introduced a child character who tragically dies, only to appear as a phantom to a main character. Then it would be Mass Effect.

Basically if Olly lived and stayed a main character.

Mass Effect is the most fascinating case to me because it was on the verge of becoming a significant cultural force. Like there were people saying quite seriously after Mass Effect 2 that the series would be the next Star Wars and there was credible talk of a movie being developed

then Mass Effect 3 happened and, well

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

The Little Kielbasa posted:

GoT s8 is truly the worst of both worlds through. It's like if the sequel trilogy was nothing but 9 hours of Palpatine reciting the "I hate sand" speech while JJ Abrams rubbed his rear end in a top hat across the camera lens.

The decline in memorable lines was extremely noticeable in S8. Like how Tyrion went from incredibly clever to making constant eunuch jokes.

Honestly I'm pretty sure the top, say, 50 GoT lines are exclusively S1-4.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Gorelab posted:

The weirdest thing to me about ME3 is they basically just totally destroyed their setting, but did it in a way that was just utterly unsatisfying. It's like the weirdest mix of you'd think corporate would jump in, but also the writers were just kinda high on their own farts.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The truly astounding thing about that is that Mass Effect was originally created to be a perpetually mineable sci-fi IP after Bioware got tired of being bossed around by Lucasfilm on KOTOR and decided to create their own sandbox to play in. That’s why the first game is such a huge lore-dump: they were building with an eye towards a decade-spanning multimedia franchise.

And then they burned it to the loving ground and salted the earth so hard that future games had to be set in a different galaxy.

It's why I've never entirely believed that corporate meddling was the reason for the ME3 ending, because if you're EA you want to release a Mass Effect game literally every year for the remainder of time and that was, charitably, not the way to go about it

tbh the entirety of Mass Effect post-ME2 seems like a masterclass in how to prevent your universe from making the leap:

1. Release a low-quality anime about a side character
2. Release a novel that was so bad (a character "cured" of autism, quarians outside of their suits) that you have to promise to release an updated version
3. Never release the updated version
4. Torch the possibility of any future games post-ME3 due to the ending
5. Release a bunch of filler comics
6. Set your new Mass Effect game in an entirely different galaxy, and then make that galaxy insanely boring

it's like someone was very subtly trying to sabotage it

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

bobjr posted:

So is Ramsay the Kai Lang character?

In that novel, during the course of a break-in, Kai Leng shows his dominance by eating cereal and urinating in a plant

one big difference between ME and GoT is that I think the ME3 writers were operating in good faith and simply blew it. I don't think you can say the same for the GoT showrunners

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

they didn't plan it

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

I mean fundamentally the biggest problem with the game of thrones end game is they just gave up on giving us new characters like the world outside the story stopped existing.

100 percent my absolute favorite part of the GoT finale was seeing a few new characters I didn't recognize at the Dragonpit meeting, going "huh, I wonder who they are, maybe night's watch folks? Maybe people from the Reach?" and turning on subtitles so I could see what they were listed as and it was

Man 1

and

Man 2

dogshit, dude

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

SimonChris posted:

The poor Prince of Dorne didn't even get a name, even though he ought to be an important person that everyone would be talking about.

and he should be like "you don't have dragons anymore, your armies are down to like 1,000 PTSD-riddled soldiers each, and the North just declared independence, so ... so do we, bye"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I was thinking about this the other day. A faithful representation of the books would be possibly even worse lmao

at least the Golden Company in the books seems to be a competent military force who don't do things like "stand in neat rows outside of a city under siege"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Iodised QQ posted:

End it with Dany sailing across the narrow sea. Season 6 finale I believe

A lot of unanswered questions at that point but it's still a relative high point of the series - cersei blows up the sept and establishes herself as the primary (non-undead) antagonist, Jon lineage reveal, bran reaches his tree and his story still has potential, Arya killing Frey paying off many training montages, Sansa is beginning to understand the game with littlefinger

In a just world where the series got revived in capable and willing hands, this would be the point to pick it up imo

it's the last point where the payoff made up for the cracks in the story

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

It doesn't even bother to address these hosed up implications, though.

yeah it was not thought through particularly well

EDI will exit the crashed Normandy if you choose "destroy" in the original endings, for example

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
one thing GoT has on ME in this regard is that Mass Effect 3's ending drove a not-insignificant number of people absolutely bugfuck insane

like some people seriously believed that the endings were deliberately fake because Shepard was indoctrinated and that Bioware's plan was to release the "real endings" and shock everyone

other people took it as an excuse to harass the developers to the point where you can see something like the roots of gamergate in it

people pissed about GoT just got real angry at Benioff and Weiss and donated a bunch of money to Emilia Clarke's charity

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Citadel was hilarious because it was explicitly designed to ignore as much of the Reaper war as possible, so if you really wanted to you could just pretend it was an epilogue

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Such a well written show that will definitely hold up over time. I called that in real time after the “podrick payne fucks” storyline which indicated what kind of dumb and unnecessary poo poo we’d get for the remainder of the series instead of anything intriguing or clever

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

GOT is dead, now this is the thread for monuments to creators kicking astonishing own-goals and ruining everything.

imagine you're an HBO executive and you're getting ready to milk GoT for two decades or more and all Benioff and Weiss have to do is deliver an adequate Season 8 -- like, not even good, just adequate -- and instead they torpedo it so badly that you maybe get to do ONE spinoff

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
even if they insisted on killing the night king in a single battle, there's a million different ways that episode could have been straight-up better than it was and none of them are like hugely difficult

like instead of acting like huge idiots (trebuchets in front of infantry, light cavalry charging into darkness), what if they did everything right -- huge trenches on fire and funneling the dead into a single chokepoint, dothraki wheeling off to the side and firing dragonglass arrows from horseback, archers on the walls and artillery in the castle keeping up a constant barrage, both the dragons used to shore up weak points -- and the dead still overwhelm them anyways. Then you have the audience going "wow, the army of the dead is a credible threat!" instead of "wow people in this show need to play Total War"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't forget riding all the way from Westeros to King's Landing (the equivalent of walking across England) in order to finally get her revenge on someone she's hated all her life and had been going to bed every night vowing to kill, only to be convinced at the drop of a hat to turn around and walk back, because, vengeance is bad??? What????

“Don’t become like me, Arya”

Meanwhile Arya butchered two guys and fed them to their father, Clegane is an amateur compared to her

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Taking Highgarden was also portrayed as a piece of cake, even though at this point Highgarden controls Westeros agriculture and is considered the wealthiest house now that the Lannisters are broke.

"Congrats Bronn, you're the new lord of Highgarden! I'm sure there are no other houses in the Reach that will have a problem with this"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Friendly reminder that in the show Qyburn seemingly gains control of Varys' little birds by bribing them with sweets.

At the time, I enjoyed it, because it was very obviously foreshadowing when the little birds revealed they were working for Varys the whole time, and promptly stabbed Qybrun. That didn't happen.

Season 1-4 Varys would have pulled this off but he had a traumatic brain injury off-camera at some point and he couldn't keep control over his network

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Remember how before that she snuck in, murdered two young freys, skinned and butchered them, then snuck into the kitchen to do some baking before finally getting around to killing Walder?

And then after she does this, Sandor’s last words to her are “don’t become like me” when by all measures she’s absolutely lapped the dude both in executing her vengeance and the extremity of said execution