Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Someone should have noticed that Daenerys and Jon Snow have ZERO chemistry and just rewritten what happened. It is painful to watch and I just feel bad for the two of them being forced to make out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think he left because he was offered roles in movies (he was the villain in deadpool) and didn't want to work himself crazy doing both. He hasnt been clear but in interviews he makes it sound like it was his decision to leave but he's really vague.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Lycus posted:

He did debunk that.
kinda. this is the quote:

quote:

"That’s what been reported in the press but it was a lot more political than that. My plan was to stay with Game of Thrones for the long haul. That was always my plan. I would have loved to. It was a wonderful experience, but politics led to us parting ways. And from there I just said, “Okay, look forward, be positive. Keep calm and carry on.” That’s my mentality when things go well, so I stay grounded and not get to overwhelmed by the hype, and it’s my mentality when the plans change."
This makes me think the show required some kind of formal (unnecessary?) commitment from him that he wasn't willing to make.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Arya is just painful to watch. Just make her go back to her home planet like Melisandre there is nothing worth salvaging from "world-weary invincible ninja 17 year old".

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Wait where is Melisandre?
She talked with Varys at the end of the season and the conversation had no point beyond her saying "I'm leaving the show now"

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Idk. I think that was just to tell us what Theon's sister is doing when she doesnt show up for most of the rest of the show.

Hard to imagine there are only 5 loving episodes left.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Comfortador posted:

I totally think the scene between the Hound and Arya was their form of heart-felt. When she says "And I robbed you too..." it was the only type of response the Hound would totally respect, she's earned it.
The puppy had no real reason to be mad at her, there wasn't any tension besides "how exactly will he display that he's not mad".

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I didn't see any chemistry. I'm relieved to find out they're related because it might explain why they are like oil and water.

I didn't see wonder from Jon, I saw daenerys making him do something really dangerous that he was uncomfortable with and then he turned out to be uncomfortable with it. Then they french and it's weird.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

The entire time watching this episode I was thinking Gendry was Pod. Kept thinking "I don't remember Pod learning how to be a smithy." Was he even in any "numerous characters here but only 1-2 people talking" scenes in the background?
I thought Arya was smiling when she saw Podrick at the beginning because Podrick is cool. Was kind of disappointed to learn it was actually Gendry even though it makes a lot more sense.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The awkward part wasnt Drogon creep staring. It was Dany wanting to make sure her dragons watched. Great face work on the dragon though at the end there it was pretty perfect.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Emilia Clarke not having chemistry with the male lead? :monocle:
I thought she was ok with drogo and dario 1. Her relationship with Jora comes across well too but ofc that's not romantic.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Do we know if Bran actually has feelings about Jamie? He seems emotionally disconnected in general given that every word out of his mouth upsets his siblings.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

his irl wife

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

During the last battle, we see the screen split three ways as Varys, Grey Worm, and Theon all get kicked in the crotch simultaneously. They each look up, smirk, and strike back.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Remember when Dondric's priest was killed by a zombie bear after being in the show for four seasons and not doing anything besides showing off his power?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Does Cersei actually like Euron? It kind of seemed that way by the end.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

remember when joffrey died? that was extreme.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Theoretically there is supposed to be fun human drama enabled by wacky stuff happening. Like Tywin getting shot on the toilet, and tyrion having to put up with Joffrey, and the night watch being the ultimate losers of the world forced to save it. But sam be sad his brother die isnt very interesting.... imo.

What are the main character arcs? Tyrion becoming a useless old drunk and Arya ascending to demigodhood, I guess.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Sad because brother dead is a pretty basic human emotion

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

about sam, we already knew all those things! The scene existed to make his face do what we expected it to do.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 16, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Oh sursy was supposed to be pregnant already? Yeah for sure not.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I like Succession. That show is good especially after the first four episodes.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I miss Walder Frey the most. That guy was the best.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Lycus posted:

Arya should put his face on every once in while and wander around Winterfell dunking on people.
Heck yes. Every episode this season should end with a 3 minute scene of Arya frey entertaining and poisoning another minor person on the list.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

The best part about Walder Frey is how if Rob had just kept it in his pants and married his daughter like none of the show after S1 would have happened
But Rob didn't know one of the daughters was hot!!! it would have changed everything.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The iron bank is a little silly but "Tywin broke" was such a good plot point that it's worth it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

What happened to those older, gentler days when the biggest problems were dany not having one tit hang out for all of season 2?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

:lol: was this actually a complaint? People were saying they should have been real faithful to that part of the book?
I vagely recall gurm saying so but I can't find a source so it might have been a meme.

quote:

"I have noticed that's one of the things the show has been quite conservative about compared to what I've done," Martin says.  "I think what the show has done has been great — I mean we've won Emmys for costume design and makeup and things like that — and I think they probably made the right decisions in being more conservative about this, [but] I do kind of regret that it's so because I'd love to see historical fiction represent what people wore and what they looked like, and fantasy shows could have more out-there stuff."
In my headcanon gurm is talking about the boob here.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 18, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

precision posted:

GRRM wanting Clarke to be more topless was def a real thing that happened. I want to say he even said it while she was sitting five feet away from him on a panel or something
I have that distinct memory too!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

it's a sesame street tweet. We'll be seeing posts like that a lot for the next five weeks.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You wanted to see tit? Wow, gross.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

All this talk of a money train made me think about The Shield again.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Jon and daneros should do the kiss thing again next week but this time in front of Jorah

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Kinda have to agree. The show and books spent so much time on developing her, but she kinda goes nowhere and is ultimately not all that different from her brother.

Emilia Clarke seemed like a decent actress early on, but basically since she got the dragons its been one long temper tantrum.

Hard to tell how much of that is the writing. She wasn't exactly stellar in her movie roles. I feel like I liked her more in the books, but then I do remember kinda being frustrated with how much time was spent on her and how it seemed less important than Westeros plots.
She's displayed zero range, I think she's a weak character with a talentless actor. I don't the direction can be the problem for 8 seasons when every other role in the series is reasonably well done.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 19, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Season 1 worked yeah. Her best scene was when she gets on top of Khal Drogo instead of being done from behind (and not because of nudity, it was just a good scene that was funny and moved her plot forward).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The tyrells' end wasnt great, but it sure beat Littlefinger's.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Gendry was kind of handsome back in the day. Unfortunate they made him look all shaven and gross and constantly surprised. Maybe the scene would have gone down better if there was anything appealing about him left and he didnt look like the most generic GoT extra possible.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

This is what Gendry used to look like:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

romanowski posted:

well anyway I thought the little girl in Davos's soup kitchen scene was adorable. sounded like a chipmunk
She had goo on her face to make him get reminded of Stennis' daughter right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

quote:

In the show, Arya is about 18 now, and in real life Maisie Williams is 22, so I figure a decent amount of resistance to the concept of Doing It is a nice and comprehensive reflection of how young women’s sexuality is thought of as scary and taboo.
What TV critic can say with a straight face that young women's sexuality is taboo, talking about an HBO show

I mean maybe I watched too much Girls but dear god.