Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Its Coke posted:

I don't recall it implying that

I haven't read the first book in a while, but IIRC t's implied pretty heavily, from the way he manhandles her and shows her off in the negotiations with the Dothraki to the insinuations that had the Targs not been overthrown they would've been married just like their father and mother were and therefore he was entitled to do whatever he wanted with her as long as it didn't ruin her value as a trade piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Midgetskydiver posted:

The crossbows on the walls can't possibly shoot at more than like a 30 degree angle so Drogon could easily torch them all from above.

Also 3 shots 3 hits on Rhaegal from a mile away at their first ever attempt to hit a moving, flying target is pretty amazing.

It'd be one thing if all 3 shots had hit him at once. But it was three shots in delayed sequence, from ships sailing against the wind around a jetty or some poo poo, adjusting their targeting to hit a moving target while compensating for both recoil and wind resistance.

I would've preferred if they just said the ballistics were magic.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

turtlecrunch posted:

So I was curious about this since bookreaders always complain about how long it takes GRRM to write stuff so I checked Wikipedia -

1996: A Game of Thrones, the first of 7 books in the Song of Ice and Fire series
1999: A Clash of Kings (+3)
2000: A Storm of Swords (+1)
2005: A Feast for Crows (+5)
2011: A Dance with Dragons (+6)
2019: George R.R. Martin is 71 years old with two books left to write (+8)

IIRC, the gap between CoK and SoS was short only because they were going to be one book and had to be broken up into two.

We're never getting the last two, unless Brandon Sanderson finishes them post-GRRM death.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Irom posted:

maybe this is a dumb nitpick but did ballistas really tear a ship to shreds like that? over that long of a distance? I thought naval warfare before gunpowder was about ramming and boarding parties

seeing the ship explode to smithereens under Tyrion's feet struck me as odd

No.

Alec Eiffel posted:

What percentage of The Winds of Winter do we think is actually complete? My bet is on 40%.

Seems high. I would say like 25% of actual new material. Maybe 40-50% if you count stuff from DwD that couldn't fit and is getting shoved into WoW.

TheRat posted:

Also yes I liked the Shireen burning episode, in that it was so guttingly heart-wrenching it legit made me cry. The actress did an absolutely amazing job of it as well.

Great episode, even if the "20 good men" thing was a top 10 all time stupid development even by this show's standards. You can't have watched the "Shireen, of House Baratheon and you belong with me" scene and not felt something when her father gave her up.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Shipboard ballistae were a thing but they were small and used to throw stuff that could do some damage even if it only managed to glance the other ship (spherical rocks, greek fire, etc) because anything bigger would either weigh down the ship too much or cause enough recoil to possibly destabilize the ship, both very bad things that you don't want in the midst of a battle, to say nothing of the difficulty of hitting moving targets while you yourself are also moving.

For Euron's projectiles to be strong enough to shatter another boat like that it would either have to be a projectile as big as the ship itself or the target would have to be extremely rickety.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

But a ballista couldn't be wheel-mounted or have any other dampening system.... ?

They have wagons in Westeros.

Yeah but these weren't on wheels, they were bolted to the decks.

The whole thing was ill conceived.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Niwrad posted:

HBO deserves a lot of blame for not just dropping them when they decided they didn't want to do more. It's been clear that they just mailed in the last 2 seasons and have mentally moved on from the show for some time now.

The reason it all sucks and every character is a moron now is because they've had to cram 30 episodes into 12.

Just a reminder that it didn't have to be this way - yeah plenty of the main cast want to move on and the budget is expensive but this show prints money and they're all paid extremely well. HBO would've bankrolled a full season order of 10 episodes for this season and last season had D&D not insisted on shortening them because... reasons.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

lezard_valeth posted:

yeah but what else happened in it? I can't remember. if that's the highlight it sounds like a really random episode to give 100% to

Literally nothing:

"Sansa's party arrives at Castle Black as she is reunited with Jon. In Meereen, Tyrion meets with the slave masters of Slaver's Bay to offer peace if they will end slavery within a period of seven years, an action that angers the former slaves. Baelish returns to the Vale to mobilize their soldiers against Ramsay. Naharis learns about Mormont's greyscale as they arrive in Vaes Dothrak. In King's Landing, Margaery is permitted to visit Loras while Cersei, Jaime, Kevan and Olenna put aside their differences and plan a defeat of the Sparrows. Theon arrives at Pyke and explains to Yara that he will support her claim at the Kingsmoot. In Winterfell, Osha attempts to assassinate Ramsay but is killed by him. Ramsay sends a letter to Jon, threatening harm to Rickon if Sansa is not returned. She convinces Jon to march south in order to take back Winterfell. Daenerys meets with the Khals in the temple of the Dosh Khaleen; after they refuse to serve her, she burns them and Moro to death. When she emerges unhurt, the Dothraki kneel to her."

Daario clowning Jorah the whole time they were searching for Dany was pretty good. Sansa showing up at Castle Black was also entertaining, imo.

IIRC people were pissed because the big twist at the end of this episode hinges on the idea that Dany is apparently fireproof, something that GRRM has explicitly said is not a hereditary Targ attribute. Her walking out of the fire the first time was because of the dragon eggs and MMD's blood magic.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 7, 2019

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I loved his character but you could have removed Oberyn entirely from the show at this point and I think nothing would have changed?

Overyn's arc was one of the most on-theme things this show has ever done, with wide ranging consequences and implications. His portrayal was great from start to finish, definitely one of the best in the entire series. Season 4 is the high point in part because of the Oberyn storyline.

The issue is that because he was so well received, D&D made Dorne a centerpiece of the next two seasons despite the expanded Dornish storyline being an undercooked mess, even in the books. They half assed it in production, squandered a couple of really good actors, and ended up with nothing to show for it aside from the Jaime/Bronn interactions.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Show Ramsay is not even remotely handsome.

Are you blind?

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 7, 2019

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Tei posted:

Shes a genocide, se is more than capable to do this. But I don't think she believe was necessary when the easy way out is something else and breaking traditions, norms and culture tabbos in the open like that would have created a lot of trouble for himself that she don't need to deal with by killing Dany in a more customary way.

The serie is stupid, and the way they filmed this create these natural doubts.

She blew up a church. Every one who has ever been around Cersei in the show distrusts her ability to rule because she disdains the politics of alliances and proper behavior and tradition in favor of just brute forcing everyone around her into submission, regardless of the consequences. Tywin said it, Kevan said it, Varys said it, etc. She blew up a loving church. You could argue that maybe she feels so overwhelmingly ahead that she could afford to spare her enemies and her hated little brother while she had them all within arrow range just for the satisifaction of executing them later, but that's not consistent with her character.

She could have and should have murdered them all, dragon included, and then marched her army to Winterfell to finish the job and salt the earth when she was done.

That Italian Guy posted:

Cersei has whatever's left of the Lannisters army, 2k Gold Cloaks, the Iron Fleet and the Tyrell's army (which is so small Highgarden can be taken in a day)...so what exactly was her plan if the undead were not showing up? The show doesn't really seem to acknowledge the disparity in forces the two factions have. I can see Cersei clinging to the throne for dear life, but maybe they should have played the "we are absolutely hosed" angle a bit more. By the time they are negotiating in S7, it feels like they are shown to have a very similar force, with the "good" guys having a slight advantage. Instead, it's more like a 10-to-1 numerical advantage, with a smaller fleet but 3 dragons.

This is part of the reason the last two seasons have had to dumb down literally every significant character. There was no reason for Dany to not zerg rush King's Landing as soon as she hit Westeros.

That Italian Guy posted:

By the way, has anyone mentioned how in the tense "it's a frontal assault with thousands of civilian casualties unless she surrenders" strategy discussion scene, no one mentions the fact that they have access to a super ninja assassin, who has Cersei on her kill list and is familiar with King's Landing and the the Red Keep? With all the potential character development of having to put someone you care about in danger or having to resort to assassination to get what you want - maybe even discarding it as the go to plan because of that?

And that they could ask Bran about any potential surprise their enemies have prepared for them like, I don't know, them having built a massive anti air defense or planning to ambush their fleet on their way to Dragonstone?

The explanation is "don't think about it".

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Alhazred posted:

That's just how her face is, she's got resting :shepface:

Hopefully she gets some roles where she can actually emote and have fun because this clip alone has me in tears every time I see it. Same with her "he's, you know, MAH BUDDY" when talking about working with Iain Glen in that cast retrospective video. She's obviously talented, but the Dany role is very one note so much of time.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

esperterra posted:

iirc Clarke has read the books, so one would hope she's been expecting the Dany heel turn, and if she's unhappy with the ending to the show it's not because of a path she shoulda known for years now her character will go down

Given that the showrunners disdain the books whenever they feel like it and have built Dany up as a sympathetic character (either deliberately or through lazy writing that failed to convey her instability and hunger for power) I can't blame Clarke for being mad about how she's (apparently) going to go out. Themes are for eighth graders, remember? Pulling a "well that's how it happened in the books" is a horseshit excuse at this point and it underscores how unearned or inconsistent so much of the character development (if you can call it that) has been for the past two seasons.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

She doesn’t want to get killed at a later parley dumbass

There is a lot of bad writing this isn’t it

Who is left to parley with her?

- Edmund Tully is a prison, and his heir is a captive. No need to parley with someone you can threaten and blackmail.
- Dorne was in chaos up until one episode ago, and they've always been antagonistic anyway.
- Half the great Northern houses are gone.
- House Arryn is run by an unstable asthmatic who is ostensibly an ally of the crown, despite the Vale Knights aiding in the Great War.
- Yara has taken the Iron Islands but her uncle still has a massive, apparently unstoppable fleet.

There's no one left to check her. Cersei holds the throne, the capital, and the credit with the Iron Bank. She can brute force anybody into submission, assuming they make it through the winter (remember, food supplies are supposed to be very low through Westeros, to the point that mass starvation is expected). Cersei doesn't care about respect or tradition, she cares about power. There's no reason to let them get within bow shot and then walk away.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

That Italian Guy posted:

By the way, speaking of the TVIV feeling spreading around the globe after the last 2 episodes, loving Esquire of all places is dunking on GoT :popeye:

Game of Thrones Simply Gave Up in Season Eight Episode Four

Yeah it's not just reddit/SA/etc, a lot of people are disappointed with how this season has gone down. There was no way to satisfy every one but they've done a good job of burning a lot of good will.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Xanderkish posted:

Do we know anything about other shows that poo poo the bed and had a significant drop in quality, and why it happened? I know we had that for the Walking Dead, but does anyone know of other ones?

Sleepy Hollow. Started off as a pretty run of the mill Fox show elevated by the chemistry between the lead, a somewhat interesting premise, and solid secondary casting that by season 4 was a pretty bad x-files knockoff because Fox wanted more romance and...I'm not really sure what else.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Phenotype posted:

Hell, does Ghost really look that much bigger than the Malamute?

No; in the scene where they burn all the bodies he's about up to waist height on Tormund, I think? So big but not massive (whereas Nymeria is as big as a horse and Grey Wolf was probably up to Robb's shoulder by the Red Wedding. They could've gotten a big dog to be a stand-in, if nothing else. It's just lazy production and/or budget constraints.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

IIRC they did have actual dogs at the start; Sophie Turner even adopted hers after it got killed off on the show. They just opted to do the CGI thing in later seasons, maybe because they thought it looked better or it was easier than dealing with the ASPCA? Who knows.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Crow Jane posted:

Didn't she try to play the septsplosion off as a tragic accident?

Lol this would require that anyone was left to try and hold her accountable. As someone else said, she did the same thing that Jaime killed the Mad King trying to stop, and directly caused the death of their only living child (as well as their uncle) as a result and he did NOTHING. I get that they wanted to demonstrate how far gone he is with regards to Cersei and set up the big schism scene at the end of the S7 in the map room but the explosion doesn't even brought up.

They just abandoned any semblance of politics or even layered storytelling outside of "Cersei vs EVERYBODY".

That Italian Guy posted:

I think she's managed to pull some good acting in the last episode, compared to the norm - the scene where Jon goes "I want us to live together with my family" and she goes "Yes, I've just told you how" was good in showing off how exasperated she is that people simply can't comprehend her "grand" plan.

I thought Clarke did okay in that scene but yeah she just comes off as really frustrated and resigned rather than intimidating and forceful.

Dany has always been set up to be the hero and while she's done a lot of bad stuff it was always framed in terms of necessity and the greater good (freeing the slaves, breaking the wheel, etc), with the additional context that she has had to go from a sheltered, abused child to an upstanding leader caught in the ebb and flow of politics around her. Same as Jon. Which reinforces to me the point that they're going to heel turn her hard, to make that contrast stand out even more - here are two scions of a great house who have been forced by circumstances beyond their control to stand on the stage of history and try to make the world better/safer, but one succumbs to madness and has to be put down by the other.

It's not a bad thematic, it's just been sold terribly and given no real buildup.

Just Chamber posted:

The Frey's will stab your unborn child to death in the womb, the Bolton's will flay you alive, the Lannisters will likely pay those two houses to do both of these things and not bat an eye. Joffery order's the butchers boy killed for practically nothing and they dont care one bit about him. Jaime pushes a child to his death. Dany is no more mad than any other house in Westeros even if her method of execution is painful.

Pretty much.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 8, 2019

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Mad King wanted to blow up the entire city, Cersei did a decapitation strike on the enemy leadership. Yeah, there was collateral damage, but it's not like all the regular warfare isn't deadly to the civilian population. (And likely far more so.)

Do you think Cersei would hesitate to burn down the entire city, short of the Red Keep, if it meant eliminating her enemies? The only difference between her and Aerys is that all her opposition was conveniently in one spot, and there was no one to shove a sword in her back. Difference of degree, not type.

Honestly if they'd sold Dany's Targ madness earlier in the series this upcoming development wouldn't be so hard to swallow. She's lost friends and her dragons. Her claim is threatened. No one appreciates her sacrifices and they second guess her decisions. She has no real allies. Anyone would be irrational and unstable in those circumstances.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah, like I was complaining how show-Cersei just kept killing until she is basically the only person left in King's Landing? If GRRM were writing this he'd have still fleshed out who Cersei's current small council is, who the other power players in the city are, who's running the city watch, and why each of those people are supporting Cersei or scheming for themselves or one of the other houses, and he would be making sure that was consistent with what he's been writing in the other chapters as well. We'd know and whoever the third tier lords are who are running Highgarden and Horn Hill instead of it just getting wiped away. Which Lannister cousin is the defacto lord of Casterly Rock now that Dany's abandoned it? Etc.

That level of attention to detail is what makes the books so rich but it also seems like a sprawling nightmare to manage.

Didn't GRRM have to hire some superfan as an assistant to help keep everything straight in the continuity from book to book because he got tired of people yelling at him for getting minor details wrong?

Just Chamber posted:

The scene where Tywin is cutting up the deer and talking to Jaime is one of the best scenes in the show and i refuse to believe any writer still associated with GOT wrote it.

Charles Dance learned how to butcher a deer just for that scene. loving dedication. They really lucked out with a lot of the early casting, I can't imagine this show without him as Tywin.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

lezard_valeth posted:

I just looked the scene up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g5UvrhJFVQ

Back then and even now in hindsight I just love how menacing Roose looked in this scene. While Walder Frey is stroking his own ego, Roose is thinking about the ramifications of their betrayal. Everything from the way he stands to how he talked gave a no nonsense vibe. He felt like someone more dangerous than Tywin Lannister.

Having Roose die like a chump was pinnacle E X P E C T A T I O N S subverted material.

The casting was so good. You can't help but despise Frey any time he's on screen. Roose is basically the loving Terminator.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Vegetable posted:

The show has generally been really good at casting older white men. I can’t think of a single one that’s let the show down.

There's no shortage of European actors who have spent most of their career doing Shakespeare or some other kind of classical role in addition to the odd secondary character gig here and there.

The popularity of fantasy shows and movies must be a boon for them.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

my favorite thing is when they were getting ready for the shadow baby scene davos's actor told melisandre's that her tits looked great (thinking they were fake like the stomach). turns out they were real. and they were spectacular.

Wait, is this real? There's no way this actually happened, although if it did I certainly can't blame him.

Edit: lol wow. It's at the end here, last 20 seconds or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBGjbGb-1ww

Groovelord Neato posted:

i didn't realize the second mountain was supposed to be the mountain until tywin called him "clegane" lmao. he also seemed too old on top of being thin.

I kept getting the second Mountain confused with the other tall bearded guy who ended up getting killed by Jaqen's poisoned dart or whatever. They really should've just left him pillaging offscreen until they got the powerlifter guy to come in. He can't act for poo poo but he's imposing at least.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 9, 2019

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

bobjr posted:

I’m sure Littlefinger used an Irish accent at least once among others

Shansha preez.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Admiral Ray posted:

I don't think he secretly hates Tyrion, but he is tired of the Lannisters and their poo poo. He was supposed to have a castle by now, and nearly did, but Cersei hosed him over. He has no reason to believe she'll pay up this time. Jaime has put off paying him as well, even flat out denying him Highgarden after they sacked it. Tyrion is the only one that's consistently paid up. By not killing either of them, he is showing he does consider them friends. He's still a sellsword that looks after himself first and foremost.

Yeah the scene with Bronn just read to me as him being extremely tired of being tied up Lannister machinations, with nothing to show for it at the moment. Tyrion he probably genuinely likes and Jaime he can tolerate, although he definitely enjoys being able to rub Jaime's handicap in his face. But Bronn knows better than to rely on friendship when he's now lost a castle, two huge bags of gold, and whatever else because the Lannisters can't get their poo poo together.

At the end of the scene it did seem like maybe Jaime was considering not living up to the bargain, but I'd be surprised if Tyrion actually let Bronn get hosed over.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

An insane mind posted:

This has probably been said pages and pages ago but I only just stumbled on the thread: I never got why in the show Jaime wasn't more of a master of the sword, he could barely hold out to Ned in season one and Brienne basically stomped him before he got his hand cut off when in the books he's really really scary which makes the hand cutting off thing when you finally get to see what goes on in his mind even more of a gently caress you.

TulliusCicero posted:

Yeah isn't Jaime supposed to be on par with Arthur Dayne at that point? I thought Brienne only barely won because Jaime was exhausted and malnourished in chains (in the books)

Yeah with Brienne he was in chains and at the end of a bad stretch of imprisonment. That he was able to fight competitively at all is a testament to his talent and skill.

Against Ned....I always thought that Ned was holding his own and might've had a shot. There are a few points where Jaime realizes that Ned is a legit threat and steps up his game. It's not emphasized but remember that Ned is a renowned swordsman as well - a seasoned warrior who has fought in the van in multiple wars and killed Arthur Dayne. We know the latter isn't strictly true but even in that fight he holds his own (although I would argue that Dayne intended to spare Ned and explain the situation to him, which is why he got disarmed rather than just put down like the rest).

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Kinvara battle rez's Shireen and she takes the throne based on the sheer fervor of Davos' support.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

MikoLovesYou posted:

I hope the Wheel of Time series is better than this poo poo

Oh my sweet summer child.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

pmchem posted:

cersei was proven right in her choices and died a heroic figure defending the city from an enemy that would not accept surrender

let that sink in

This is correct, and properly done it would've been in keeping with the themes of the books, but they botched it and twisted drat near every character's development into pretzels to contrive tension and stakes.

You hate to see it.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Delthalaz posted:

I liked the good ole boys in the northern army. Lannisters surrender, they see the weird foreign slaves and mongolians just start slaughtering unarmed civilians, women and children, etc.

They’re like... hell yeah let’s do this! **slash slash** Man, this is so much easier than fighting soldiers

Red Wedding payback.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

Probably where she says danaerys does nothing at nauseam, yet pointing out her flaws wrt racial minorities, and immediately glossing over that.

It's basically white liberal dipshitting that I just ignore because I and other racial minoritoes have dealt with it forever and do it ourselves.

I mean, that's what I would wager. She is a white woman, she probably subconsciously cares more about women representational of her chosen identities just as I sympathize with people that I identify with.

It's fine.

v watch it you baby form your own opinion she's pretty good at this v

Yeah this is why I find it hard to enjoy her stuff, even though I would agree that she is among the best, if not the best, youtube media critics at the moment. She will walk right up to the edge of pointing out where race/racism is affecting the way a story is told or hold it is received, but then throw up her hands and be like "I'm not touching that". She does this twice in the GoT part 1 video: the response of Northern smallfolk to Missandei, Grey Worm, etc and then how Missandei gets caught and beheaded. Even understanding that the video has a different focus and there are limits on run time, pointing out how the show adopts modern ideas of phenotypical race and race relations, as well as how Missandei's fate exacerbates the white savior issues in Dany's storyline, seem like things that are worth unpacking as they relate to how the series ended. In another video, on Kurt Wagner/Nightcrawler from the X-men, she notes the influence of the analogy of ideological conflicts between Malcolm X and MLK on the portrayals Magneto & Prof X, but then just leaves it at that and kind of segues to how the X-men have always been an analogy for minority oppression. Which is half true - the X-men started out as analogy for Jewish people and then widened in the wake of the CRM. The MLK vs Malcolm X stuff didn't come in until the 80s, because prior to that both men were basically seen as public enemies and widely villified.

At the end of the day she can make whatever content she wants and I know that she has said in the past that there are some topics she won't touch because of the fear of backlash (like YA, but then she pals around with noted YA creep John Green for clout, sooooo :shrug: ) and race is probably on that list at least subconsciously because no matter what people will nitpick you to death over trying to engage on certain subjects. But when popular white media people do that thing of noting that race exists and influences media and is often problematic in how it is portrayed but then demur to go any further than that, it leaves a big empty space where either no one is addressing it or minorities have to do it and get pigeonholed as the "race translator". Ellis in particular is obviously very good at what she does and puts the time in to research and unpack whatever particular work she's critiquing, so to constantly back away from addressing race with the same depth that she does any other influence sends the message that she either doesn't care or it's not important in the big scheme of things. Either way, disappointing.

As far as the show goes and D&D in particular...I'm fine with them getting to make a star war since Confederate is never going to see the light of day. People will be watching them very closely now and there's no way Kathleen Kennedy is going to let them gently caress it up too bad, so whatever we get will be adequately entertaining at the least. The only thing to really look forward to at this point with regards to the show is watching them get torn apart when they show up at Comic-Con.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 5, 2019

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Cactus posted:

Why is the Confederate alt-history setting a badwrong idea when, for example, the man in the high castle is, as far as I can tell, generally accepted as being a coolgood idea? Obviously you can extrapolate from how game of thrones ended that Confederate might not be handled very well by the same people but all that is is speculation.

I'm sure there are other reasons but what immediately comes to mind for me is that in the wake of WW2 Germany made huge efforts (some voluntary, some forced) to make amends for Nazi atrocities and have generally taken an extremely hard line against any sort of resurgence of it. The revival of far-right, fascist politics in modern Europe kind of belies that but it can be said that there has never really been a nation who has done as much to atone for their crimes and Germany has consistently recognized that the political beliefs that underpinned the Nazis are basically ethnonationalist death cultism that must never be allowed to return to power or be accepted within society and done whatever they can to stomp it out.

The United States has never, ever, EVER actually reckoned with the immense horror of Indigenous genocide and chattel slavery of African peoples, and even in the wake of the Civil War the attempt to actually eradicate the power of the Southern Planter class while also actually treating freed peoples as full citizens and dispensing with racial inequality lasted for barely a generation. Reconstruction was actively sabotaged before it was outright abandoned and rolled back, leaving freed people to be re-enslaved in all but name and the official histories basically gave up pretending that the South's loss was the correct punishment for sedition and treason. The things that we associate with the Civil War era south, the statues, the flag, the narratives, etc were mostly enshrined as hallowed history in the 20th century. Most Civil War statues in the South were erected in the wake of the Civil Right's Movement, as a way to show those uppity Blacks who was really in charge (not a joke, this is 100% true). We as a country don't really care to think about what it says about us that these things occurred, that people defend them as morally right, or that those in power (whether Democrat or Republican) look to them as necessities in order for the US to exist and prosper (to say nothing of the legacies of those things, or the violence that underpins modern US hegemony).

White nationalist fascists are marching in the streets. Public schools are teaching that slavery was basically a sleep-away camp where slaves were happy little workers and the Civil War was fought over "states rights". Social media is rife with ethnonationalists who use it as a recruiting tool and propaganda outlet, which no company cares enough to stop because that would mess up their ad revenue model. The goddamn President is too brain addled to really believe in anything, but he's fine chumming around with the fascists and letting ICE/CBP/DHS/the FBI/the Armed Forces/(insert govt agency here) either directly terrorize minorities or ensure that the people doing the terrorizing have no fear of repercussions.

Personally speaking as a Black person, the last thing I want to see on TV is a vision of those people getting exactly what they want, which is to say me and my kid and my wife and everyone that looks like us or our family or friends being brutalized and dehumanized and treated as property. I get the argument that sometimes those kind of programs can be effective in getting the public to "wake up" and realize what the hell is going on, but I think more often than not they fail at that task by going for sheer shock value, not being able to maintain a consistent thematic narrative, or simply supporting the perception that the dystopia is farther away than we might think, or all of the above (coughHandmaidsTalecough). From what has been leaked about D&D's stewardship of Confederate it left no doubt in my mind that, if the show HAS to exist at all, they are extremely ill-equipped to run it regardless of how many Black writers and researchers they bring on board. I'm sure someone at HBO has crunched the numbers, looked at the reception to even the announcement of the show being in development, gauged the current fallout from the ending of GOT and said "no thanks, have a nice star war".

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 5, 2019

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Honestly if HBO wanted to bankroll a series about "What if Reconstruction kept going and was successful?" I would watch that in a heartbeat. Trying to imagine what the Western expansion, international disputes, etc would look like in a US that was attempting to radically change itself from the inside-out would be something that we actually haven't seen before.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It also feels like kind of an exciting way to rattle the fascists and racists making power plays in the US right now, were we to start imagining Afro-futurist cultures on tv, or present-day worlds that are not simply logical extensions of our own current culture.

GRRM is majorly involved in the adaptation/development of Nnedi Okafor's work and iirc NK Jemison's Broken Earth trilogy has been optioned somewhere. So we're slowly getting more afrofuturist stuff. Hopefully we get a solid adaptation of Butler's Patternist books at some point.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 5, 2019

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

I agree with your words but I want to engage with two things: John Greene is a sex creep?? and I think a lot of even woke white people are uncomfortable unpacking racism in media because it's just everywhere and I think they think that it's not their place to address it.

I'm used to seeing liberal peers open their mouths and say some unintentionally racist poo poo. I am also used to misspeaking liberals being torn apart online by all political shades for making some false equivalence or misrepresenting some aspect of other minority culture, so I really don't fault Lindsay for avoiding it really.

But she's better than the average white people, she really ought to help the Disney liberals like my friends unpack what the gently caress is wrong with their cartoons and poo poo, and everyone ought to be stopping the Nazis.

Also if you have white guilt questions all the time that you want to ask your different friends about :

#1 - just don't. Please. We're not race representatives we don't know everything about our exotic to you culture.

#2 - ask the podcast Yo Is This Racist. They will openly say the thing minorities think all the time about both you asking and still help address your ignorance.

I remember there being some furor around him being inappropriate with younger fans but I might be thinking of some other Youtube Tumblr weirdo.

Just Chamber posted:

In defense of Lindsey Ellis and her not diving deep into race issues in Game of Thrones, i do wonder if it's because she doesn't feel like as a white person she can really do a good job pointing out why certain things in Game of Thrones are racist or problematic. I feel she takes her critic job so seriously she wouldnt touch something she doesnt feel like she's an expert on. Like those topics would be best covered by someone of color who watched the show. When she did her Transformers retrospective where she broke down the film into chapters about the problematic things in the series such as feminist issues with the film, I noticed surprisingly she didnt have a chapter on how those films are racist as gently caress and I wonder if she just doesnt feel like she has the ability to really cover that topic as deeply as it deserves.

Yeah, I get what you're saying and what Wasabi's post is pointing out, that white people often feel it's not their place or that they are worried about saying the wrong thing. But making the effort and messing up and then acknowledging that you messed up is part of the process. Ellis wasn't born with encyclopedic knowledge of media analysis and feminist critiques and what not, no more than any person from a minority or marginalized group is born with a complete understanding of their oppression and how to communicate to others about it. We have to learn about it. We have to talk with others about it and understand how things look from different perspectives. We mess up and have to rethink things. Ellis became an expert by studying the stuff she cares about so that she could be knowledgeable about sharing her perspective with others. She and whoever she works with obviously put a massive amount of time into researching whatever the topic of the week is and refining their arguments. Again, she can talk about and make content about whatever she wants, but the question will remain: if issues of race are as important to film criticism as issues of gender, then why not do the work it takes to address it like she does anything else?

Yeah there are probably some people of color on youtube doing critiques of GoT and other media and discussing race more centrally but, again, it sucks to be the 'race translator' all the time. And they don't have Ellis' visibility. I'm not saying she's a bad person or that you can't enjoy her stuff. She is honestly very good! I enjoyed the GoT video and will definitely watch Part 2. It's just a pretty glaring and common thing among white people who would otherwise consider themselves "progressive".

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Its Coke posted:

The former confederate states are uniformly the worst places to live in the US so I would say not only did they lose, their loss was one of the most devastating ever

There are places in the south were entire towns have hookworm and other easily preventable diseases because the county or state government won't pay to put in a proper water system that can carry clean water to their homes. Right now, in 2019.

There are places in the south where getting pregnant amounts to playing Russian Roulette because the nearest hospital is either an hour+ away or doesn't have the proper resources to treat people or the staff see the patients as little more than animals, or some combination thereof.

There are places in the south where generations upon generations of people have been afflicted with cancer and other horrible maladies as a result of having chemical runoff dumped right next to their water supply, if not directly into it, and air pollution so thick it looks like fog gets piped over their houses.

Guess what color most of the people affected by those things are.

Not saying that every white person in the South is living large and content but you have to acknowledge that the South won the cultural and political conflict even if they lost the actual war. They wanted to enshrine second class citizenship on the basis of race and since that dovetailed with the aims of the people who were in power it was seen as an acceptable compromise to ensure that the US continued to be *gestures at whatever the hell this is now*.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 6, 2019

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Would love to see Alfie Allen or Coster-Waldau get the win in their category but I get the feeling Dinklage will take it yet again for no good reason.

Like others have said, these are the consolation prize nominations. Just another thing for HBO to crow about until they get their next crossover hit show.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Lol cowards.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1151624438514880512?s=19

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

I do wonder if they chickened out or if HBO told them to stay away. Probably a little of both but now I really want to see that unaired aftershow episode.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Impressive that Conleth Hill can still grow a mane like that after a decade of shaving his head.

No Kit and no Emilia, not surprised there. But the panel does seem on the small side for the final convening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

I've heard that shaving your head can mess with your hairline and accelerate hair loss if you're already prone to that sort of thing but it might just be an old wives tale.