Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
you would think actual comic book fans would be more positive in a thread about a movie that both looks good and is sorta bringing up a multiverse concept by being in the same series but obviously not the same continuity
could open the door for the comic book movies you would want to be made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

WatermelonGun posted:

comic books, as a whole, are bad too

That’s true for literally everything tho so :shrug:

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Applewhite posted:

That’s true for literally everything tho so :shrug:

i should have specified superhero comic books.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

gary oldmans diary posted:

you would think actual comic book fans would be more positive in a thread about a movie that both looks good and is sorta bringing up a multiverse concept by being in the same series but obviously not the same continuity
could open the door for the comic book movies you would want to be made

What did you work on the movie or something?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

WatermelonGun posted:

i should have specified superhero comic books.

My response still applies. I enjoy a lot of superhero comics, even the stupid ones. I don’t care if a comic is stupid it should at least be entertaining. My issue with the current crop of superhero films isn’t that they don’t respect canon or that they’re not mature or thought provoking enough. My problem is they’re loving boring from start to finish.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Mystery Men was a good comic book movie. gently caress, it was a great comic book movie and a good movie in its own right. Is it too much to ask for other comic book movies to be as good as Mystery Men?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
canon is for catholicism and no character is truly heroic when their actions benefit the imperialist status quo of the first world

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Thor: Ragnarok was a delight as well.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Applewhite posted:

What did you work on the movie or something?
no i would just rather look for things to enjoy than look for things to be negative about
talking about how something isnt good is easy lazy and gets tiresome

like the reception of the watchmen movie was just nonstop crying when it was as close to the comics as it realistically could be. comic fans make awful critics

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

gary oldmans diary posted:

no i would just rather look for things to enjoy than look for things to be negative about
talking about how something isnt good is easy lazy and gets tiresome

like the reception of the watchmen movie was just nonstop crying when it was as close to the comics as it realistically could be. comic fans make awful critics

Actually I liked the Watchmen movie and agree it was almost shot for shot faithful to the comic minus the space monster thing which frankly was a pretty weak part of the comics anyway.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
lol the watchmen movie is sociopathic trash for travis bickle types, just like every other zack snyder movie i’ve seen

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i preferred the dr manhattan framing for having a stronger connection to him leaving earth to create life elsewhere and because it leaves out the idea of earth having psychics. the concept of psychics in a world where the heroes dont have superpowers and manhattans story of isolation and losing his sense of humanity... its just cleaner without psychics
but without the psychic monster youre left to wonder what the comedian saw

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm tired of edgy joker tbh. Bring back the dude with the gun that shoots out a flag that says "bang"

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Applewhite posted:

Why DID he say that name instead of “mom” or “mommy”?

cause hes adopted DUH

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

I'm tired of edgy joker tbh. Bring back the dude with the gun that shoots out a flag that says "bang"
love that joker

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I hope he and batman gently caress

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Neurosis posted:

He has a bunch of charities and locally-focused business initiatives designed to deal with the root causes in addition to beating people up

That's why I would be just like batman, and also I would ignore any criticism of the underlying economic system that makes charity, public schools, homeless shelters and public healthcare necessary while never giving up my huge incomes as a business owner, because otherwise how would I pay for my batcopter that I use to snipe thugs with my batrifle from

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
thinkin bout that society

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

unless its a transgender twitchstream gamer joker i prob wont see it

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Tiberius Christ posted:

unless its a transgender twitchstream gamer joker i prob wont see it

'wanna know how i got these scars'

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They should do a movie with Martha Wayne becoming the Joker.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

agreed, the real world is edgy enough.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
The Kidder

The Clowner

The Jester

The Wisecracker

The Prankster

The Josher

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the shenaningore
hijinxulon
the ballyhood
the chicanerate

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
*Batman walks into a bank where all the furniture is wrapped in cellophane*

curse that shenanigore! does his tricksome tomfoolery know no bounds?!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mozi posted:

*Batman walks into a bank where all the furniture is wrapped in cellophane*

curse that shenanigore! does his tricksome tomfoolery know no bounds?!

Read that in Brave and the Bold Batman's voice

Hamclam
Jan 19, 2005

I got in one little fight and my mom got scared she said "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air!"
I hope they finally show the backstory of when he got that super cool "damaged" tattoo on his forehead!!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I want a Garfield reboot that's dark and gritty.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Dismembered parts of Garfield show up at a beach, and it's up to Jon to find the killer.

It turns out that he's a severely mentally deranged man, Garfield never existed as a talking cat, and Jon goes down for cruelty against animals and/or littering.

Half the movie are Memento-inspired flashbacks to classic comic strips like Jon drinking dog semen or owning himself.

When he's finally tried and found not guilty due to insanity, he's taken to a padded cell. The doors lock, he turns around and Garfield is there. Jon screams. Cut to credits.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

numberoneposter posted:

They already did that in the "you're alone, Garfield" series that was published during the strip's golden years. I don't know of anyone who read that and didn't go "what the gently caress". One of the chapters from "Garfield's 9 Lives" was pretty loving bleak, too. Something about escaping from animal testing and lunging at an old woman's neck in the final panel.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

numberoneposter posted:

Back in the last Garfield edit thread I was working on a series of edits but never found time to finish it. Jon and Garfield are both addicted to dog cum. Liz cuts off Jon's supply after observing how addicted he is, sending him on a downward spiral that ends with him murdering Garfield in order to steal the last of his stash. I call it 'Reqicum for a Dream'.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.
I guess there's this:

It's not dark n' gritty tho... plain old horror really.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I wonder if Jared Leto feels bad that the director of this movie saw his take on the character and was like, “nah”.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
grrr i hate these comic movies that i am far too smart for

*watches every marvel movie*

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Applewhite posted:

Mystery Men was a good comic book movie. gently caress, it was a great comic book movie and a good movie in its own right. Is it too much to ask for other comic book movies to be as good as Mystery Men?
funny story: ben stiller trashed mystery men--including his own performance--on howard stern; but it's the best movie he's done in his whole career.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Watching people try to make fun of Batman is hilarious because half the time the franchise has already done way sillier poo poo that totally owns

Like the times they met Scooby-Doo

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Zane posted:

funny story: ben stiller trashed mystery men--including his own performance--on howard stern; but it's the best movie he's done in his whole career.

I'd like to think all the other actors realized it was supposed to be pure camp, except Stiller, who just overacted cause that's what he does.

Also the best movie he's done is Royal Tenenbaums.

killer crane fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 24, 2019

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Zane posted:

killer crane posted:

I'd like to think all the other actors realized it was supposed to be pure camp, except Stiller, who just overacted cause that's what he does.

Also the best movie he's done is Royal Tenenbaums.

You’re both right. Also Zoolander.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Watching people try to make fun of Batman is hilarious because half the time the franchise has already done way sillier poo poo that totally owns

Like the times they met Scooby-Doo

When will people learn that Superheroes basically ONLY work in a camp context?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I just finished the Ben Stiller episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm and he was pretty good on it as himself