Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

What's this all about?

Star Trek: 25th Anniversary is an adventure that was released in 1992. It remains pretty faithful to the TV series in style and most of the main cast reprise their roles and voice the characters in the game too. The game puts you in charge of Kirk on the Enterprise (NC-1701,) as well as during away missions in various locations. On the Enterprise, you take command on the bridge and are in control of a variety of functions including tactical combat, communication and navigation. The away missions are a point and click adventure and there away multiple ways to progress through each one.

This, and Judgement Rites (Which I hope to LP after this,) are two of my all-time favourite adventure games from my youth. I'm going to be having a lot of fun with this LP.

LP details

The missions in this game are split into seven different episodes. At the end of each mission, you are given a rating by Starfleet Command of how well you performed. The main playthrough of this LP will be for the highest rating possible for each episode. I will show off some alternative scenarios and dialogue in bonus videos.

The volume in this game has been an issue for. It's either on or off. Also, the volume of the sound effects and music fluctuate wildly at times. I have tried to mute the game volume during several instances of gameplay for commentary but it didn't feel natural. I think that I have struck an okay balance for keeping the game sounds on during commentary but if it needs tweaking, please let me know.

If you want to discuss or suggest anything that could be considered spoilers, please use the appropriate tags.

I'm going to aim for at least two updates a week. It really depends on my work schedule.

Let's Play Star Trek: 25th Anniversary

Bonus Videos
Part 1 - Alternate Scenes
Demon World: Defeated by the USS Republic, Off course, Conversations with Prelate Angiven, Trigger Happy, Conversations with the Nauian.
Hijacked: Off Course, Conversations with Elasi Cereth, Trigger Happy, A permanent solution to the guards, Disarming the bomb, Not disarming the bomb, Storming the bridge, The other solution.
Love's Labor Jeopardized: Creating laughing gas, Chemical warfare, Conversations with Preax.
Computer Entries: Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scott, Uhura, Sulu, Chekov (kinda), Tribbles, Pike, Tholians, Tholian Web, USS Defiant and Constitution Class.
Part 2 - Laughing Gas Spock and McCoy decide to let off some steam during a stressful mission.
Part 3 - Alternative resolution to The Feathered Serpent
Part 4a - The Feathered Serpent alternate scenes
Conversations with Taraz, Missed away team conversations, Conversations with Quetzecoatl part one, An alternative solution to Tlaoxac, Conversations with Admiral Kenka, Violent protest, Conversations with Vlict, The crew refusing to follow orders again, Escape to the Enterprise, Conversations with Vlict part two.
Part 4b - The Feathered Serpent alternate scenes
Gem configurations, Conversations with Vlict part three, Conversations with Kallarax.
Part 5 - Death & Failure Scenes

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 11:08 on May 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

mateo360 posted:

Please tell me you will show off all the ways to kill red shirts.

A montage of needless violence and death? I think that I could be up for that!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The second and final part of this episode. My work schedule has changed slightly this week, I will try to start the next episode this weekend.

Mage_Boy posted:

I remember playing this and Judgement Rites and making sure I did the optimum things on each mission so I got the best rating at the end. Does that rating effect the story, or is it just for bragging rites? I don't remember anymore, and I really need to play these games again. (They are in my GoG library.)

As far as can remember it's more for bragging rights, I don't think that it affects the story as each game is split into individual episodes. It's been a long time since I last played either game so I could be wrong though. I will be recording extra footage and I will do my best to record as many different scenarios as I can.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

inscrutable horse posted:

Just started watching the second video, and I wanted to chime in that I enjoy you taking the time to look at the various scenery objects. It adds a lot of life to the LP, in contrast to a mechanical "use tape on cat to get mustache" walkthrough video. In case you feel it gets excessive, could you be persuaded to stuff it into some "extras" video?

Thank you for your feedback. I'll keep examining the scenery and interacting with as much as I can in each new location. At the time I wasn't sure whether it would be excessive to stop and examine every single tree and bush that I came across. Although I could be missing out on some dialogue if I start to skip some things that I could consider minor.

Also, without all the interaction the game could easily be over within 2-3 hours.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Quicksilver6 posted:

Make sure to look at the crew in each scene, the description is different in every single room. And voiced!

I didn't even realise that was even a thing. I will make sure that I do from episode two onwards.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This episode threw me a little as I only achieved 97% on my initial recording, then for some reason 91% and then 97% again. I finally figured it out, there is a small patch of footage (with commentary) inserted into the recording towards the end of the mission.

Also in the manual, I found the section that explains commendations:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I had a three day weekend and I decided to record the final five episodes. I feel like I may have to re-record a couple of parts of one episode as well as the whole of episode seven completely. I'll work on bonus footage afterwards.

I think that I'll need some advice with episode seven: That final battle. Even with 24 commendation points and the upgraded weapons system, I'm still getting my rear end severely beaten.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

radintorov posted:

I don't know how much this might help, but I've noticed that in the battles so far you barely do any maneuvering: by leaving the speed at the minimum set at the start of the episode, you can't chase enemies trying to gain distance, which allows them to turn around and do an attack run.

I completely forgot that I could change the speed of the Enterprise during the bridge scenes. Thank you for the advice.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Snorb posted:

I think Paramount demanded every away team mission was to consist of Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and Ensign Deadmeat/Lieutenant Nohope.

As much as I think that it's great that they brought back the original cast, it seems like Walter Koenig and George Takei were criminally underused compared with the amount of dialogue that the cast of red shirts had for each mission.

McNally posted:

I only ever get a 97% on Demon World. I have no idea what I'm not doing right. I've gotten 100% before and I have no idea why I'm not anymore.

Also, the internet will tell you that enemy ships won't be able to hit you if you fly in reverse. They're lying.

Quicksilver6 posted:

I had that problem too until I saw a 100 percent run on youtube. You have to scan the boulder pile with both tricorders to confirm the guy is under there.

I didn't scan the boulders during the LP and I still managed to get 100%. The guide that I used for reference in this LP was extremely useful in hitting the 100% mark and is pretty succinct with the conditions of achieving some of them. For example, during one mission you have to scan a wall that doesn't highlight the cursor when you move the mouse over it. If you want to check it out for yourself to see what you're missing, you can read it here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=836704622

Phy posted:

I had the cd version when I was a kid, when digitized voice (of the actual actors no less) was still a big novelty, so my brother and I tried phasering everything just to hear Deforest Kelly go "Jim, put that thing away" over and over again

This is the kind of thing that I'm looking for with bonus footage, thank you for sharing this!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've re-recorded the final mission, as it stands it still remains incomplete though. I have a few days off next week, hopefully completing it won't take up too much of my time...

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

McNally posted:

So far as I know! I know I used to consistently 100% this mission, then one day I started playing and no matter what I'd only get 97%, to the point I'm wondering if it's some kind of weird hardware-related bug.

It's hard to know where you are going wrong without seeing it for ourselves as there's a lot of actions that you can make throughout. The dialogue choices that you make also affect your final score. I followed the walkthrough that I posted and I hit 100%.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Snorb posted:

I'm just curious if any of these have entries in the library computer:

* Cestus III
* Gorn
* Botany Bay
* Khan Noonien Singh
* The Guardian of Forever
* Edith Keeler
* Janice Rand
* Apollo
* Trelane
* Tribble
* Cyrano Jones
* Arne Darvin
* Matthew Decker
* Garth of Izar
* Christopher Pike
* Talos IV
* Talosians
* Tholians
* Tholian Web
* Defiant, USS
* Constitution
* Chief Kyle
* Janice Lester

(There's a couple others I was curious about, but mentioning them would be spoilers.)

I'll have a look when I record additional footage next week. Feel free to add the rest, just use the the spoiler BBcode.

If anyone else has any suggestions, feel free to add them.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I had a chance to finish work early today so I decided to tackle the final part of the last episode once and for all. After two solid hours, I finally finished the sequence and have recorded the ending to the game. It could have been a disaster though as I realised that I wasn't recording anything an hour and a half of into trying.

I'm feeling a mixture of exhaustion and happiness right now.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, we meet an old friend from the television series and explore a ship of unknown origin.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The first bonus video has been recorded, edited and uploaded. Timestamps are in the video description. I decided to do a computer search for the topics that Snorb listed (apart from the spoilers for now) and also for the main characters. If I have missed anything that people want to see (The snuff video will be separate) or if you want me to check out more computer entries for the next video, let me know.

Part 1 - Alternate Scenes
Demon World: Defeated by the USS Republic, Off course, Conversations with Prelate Angiven, Trigger Happy, Conversations with the Nauian.
Hijacked: Off Course, Conversations with Elasi Cereth, Trigger Happy, A permanent solution to the guards, Disarming the bomb, Not disarming the bomb, Storming the bridge, The other solution.
Love's Labor Jeopardized: Creating laughing gas, Chemical warfare, Conversations with Preax.
Computer Entries: Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scott, Uhura, Sulu, Chekov (kinda), Tribbles, Pike, Tholians, Tholian Web, USS Defiant and Constitution Class.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

turol posted:

Hijacked: Posting the afterparty without the "snuff video" leads to confusing sequence of events with something clearly missing.
Love's Labor Jeopardized: You missed releasing the laughing gas. Might also work with TLTDH.

The snuff video that I was referring too is the death sequences, they will be in a video of their own. I used the laughing gas, it was the first bottle that I used on the vent.

Snorb posted:

You asked it in the video, but the security officers on each mission are different-- Everts, Christensen, Finney, Buchert, Straghey, Bennie, Mosher, and Kije.

Also, is it just me, does giving some of the Kirk-is-a-Jerk dialogue choices result in the conversations flowing oddly?

I'll include them in the next bonus video.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

turol posted:

You can also release it on this deck for lots of hilarious dialogue.

Ah, I get it now. I'll be on that for the next video.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Part two of two.

turol posted:

You can also release it on this deck for lots of hilarious dialogue.

Okay, I seem to be missing something. I've released each canister in three separate rooms and I'm getting no dialogue apart from "A loud hissing fills the room" and something about Kirk looking troubled.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Olesh posted:

The effects of both the NO gas and the TLTDH gas are not immediate.

I'm going to have to test this more another time as the dialogue still isn't triggering for me after twenty minutes. I've already spent two hours recording alternate scenes and a large amount of additional dialogue in episode five and I'm needing a break.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, the crew encounter a mythical figure and are forced to undergo a series of trials. So far this has been the most involved episode of them all, there are two pathways you can follow and there's extensive dialogue each way. There's also a way to 100% the mission by being a dick, I'll expand on this more when it comes to the additional footage.

I've also found the triggers for the laughing gas and I think that I've recorded all of the dialogue associated with it. It's hard to tell as the dialogue is random and they repeat, but I feel confident that I have spent more time than was necessary to capture everything. It seems like McCoy and Spock are the only two crew members who are affected by the gas, I did try to trigger the gas with Kirk and Ferris, but McCoy was the one who was triggered. I'll upload this footage as a separate video either tonight or tomorrow.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 4, 2019

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Video: Part 2 - Laughing Gas

Spock and McCoy decide to let off some steam during a stressful mission.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 3, 2019

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The trials aren't over yet and the crew are thrust even further into danger.

There are a lot of branching dialogue in this part of the game as well as several different ways to resolve the mission. I may end up splitting the bonus footage video it into two parts, there is a major branching point with several new scenes and a completely different set of dialogue.

Here is the branching point of the storyline in full, minus the commentary. Even with the different dialogue options, the outcome is always the same.

Bonus Video:
Part 3 - Alternative resolution to The Feathered Serpent

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

This was meant to be one video but the recording corrupted and I was unable to salvage around an hour's worth of recording. I re-recorded scenes that I knew were missing from the corrupted video and I apologise if I have missed any branching dialogue with Vlict. I'm not going to get into details of technical difficulties, my sanity is needing a rest right now. I'm just going to post this in two parts. Part one is the salvaged footage, with which I was thankfully able to churn out a video, and a much shorter video which I've recorded and processed within the last couple of hours. In the second part, I show that you can be a dick in this mission and still get the 100% mark.

Part 4a - The Feathered Serpent alternate scenes
Conversations with Taraz, Missed away team conversations, Conversations with Quetzecoatl part one, An alternative solution to Tlaoxac, Conversations with Admiral Kenka, Violent protest, Conversations with Vlict, The crew refusing to follow orders again, Escape to the Enterprise, Conversations with Vlict part two.

Part 4b - The Feathered Serpent alternate scenes
Gem configurations, Conversations with Vlict part three, Conversations with Kallarax.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 4, 2019

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've just replayed the final two chapters in an effort to find bonus footage, apart from a couple of very minor things and a failure message there really isn't anything substantial to put into their own separate video. As it stands right now there are three videos left of the main playthrough to upload and one more bonus video to put together and upload.

I'm going to put together the next bonus video and then I will be preparing Judgement Rites soon afterwards.

Tiggum posted:

Kirk: Words cannot adequately describe this place.
Narrator: You look but see nothing of note.

Just wait until you see how chatty Kirk is on the next away mission.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 5, 2019

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Snorb posted:

I think the stretch of "Another Fine Mess," "Feathered Serpent," and the next mission is probably the best run of missions in the game; "Another Fine Mess" just for the whole "walk around the L'Shayan derelict and figure out what did what" aspect, "Feathered Serpent" for the massive amount of dialogue and branching path on Hrakkour, and the next mission because of its exploration aspect.

My only real complaints about 25th Anniversary are that I still have no idea how the hell anyone is supposed to figure out the right crystals to use to get Bialbi working, and that the rest of the bridge crew are really underused. Sure, Scotty fixes the ship, but "Shields repaired, Captain!" "Hull repaired, Captain!" "Phasers repaired, Captain!" are hardly plot-essential contributions. And save for two small bits, Uhura's role reminds me of the part of Shatner's Star Trek Memories where she joked she "didn't have to read the loving script because I already KNOW how to say 'Hailing frequencies open!'"

I wonder if this would have been better if you could pick an away team like in the NES version (and even that limited you to Spock, McCoy, unnamed blueshirts Geologist, Historian, and Biologist, and redshirt Security Officers that actually shoot back when threatened.)

I have no idea how people are meant to work out the gem combinations other than trial and error. I believe that the bridge crew get more lines in Judgement Rites but I'm not exactly sure how much more. We will find out soon enough.

I think that the main problem with being able to choose your away team was the amount of time and money that they would have had to further invest in development. Another problem that I can think of is that they were probably concerned about the size of the game. Most of the final episode was cut out of the floppy disc version.

Olesh posted:

It's not for nothing that Star Trek 25th Anniversary Edition and the sequel, Judgement Rites, can be considered a more or less an unofficial final season to the original series, and Judgement Rites capitalizes on (and improves upon) the success of 25th Anniversary Edition. It's superior to the first game in nearly every way, and hopefully Rocket Baby Dolls continues on with it after finishing the first game.

Judgement Rites will follow after the conclusion of this LP. I did a test run of the first episode earlier and it went smoothly for the most of it. The only problem that I'm having with the game is the volume levels and the lack of control over them. The volume of the music is high and the volume of the voices seem even lower in this game. It's going to take a little bit of fine tuning before I commit to a proper recording session.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, the crew investigate signs of activity on a planet that was abandoned long ago. This mission is pretty short if you know what you are doing. I didn't really know what I was doing, but luckily I had a guide close to hand.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this final episode, the USS Republic has been attacked and the crew investigate the mysterious circumstances surrounding it. The second and final part to this episode and LP will be uploaded this weekend, along with the last bonus video.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The final part of the main playthrough. Please forgive the lack of commentary during the final section of the game, after numerous retries I gave up trying to record a segue.

Bonus video - The last video of this LP: Part 5 - Death & Failure Scenes

Thank you, everyone, for your comments and suggestions throughout this LP. I've thoroughly enjoyed playing this again and being able to share the experience with you all. I will be starting Judgement Rites in a few days time.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Snorb posted:

(Also, you missed one death in "That Old Devil Moon." You can fire a phaser at one of the Scythe missile computers. The base fires its entire complement of nuclear missiles at the Enterprise.)

drat, that's completely down to my oversight. Apparently the laughing gas should have affected Kirk and the redshirt too. Eventually leading to them collapsing. My game was definitely bugged as it kept coming up with error messages throughout McCoy's ramblings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

McNally posted:

I'm pretty sure you can actually get a 0% on the Masada mission by hailing the ship repeatedly until every hostage is dead. You may also have to destroy the Elasi ship.

I'm going to go try this now.

Edit: If you keep hailing the Masada, they keep killing hostages until Starfleet hails you and says "we're taking you off this assignment to keep you from killing all the hostages." You don't even get a score, it just takes you to the next mission.

I didn't even know that this was possible. How many hostages were there?

I'll be starting the Judgement Rites thread later this evening. I'll put the link in the new LP thread.