Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
So basically my issue is simple. I have a few areas of my yard that have standing water for long periods of time after it rains. Option one is basically just reslope the yard, but that's a lot of yard to re-slope. If I went this route I'd be doing a lot of staking, measuring, plotting, and graphing. It would take forever. So I figured I would try a simpler solution, but I want to know if it would even work all that well.

I have a lot of round stone in my drive way. It is basically this and it's really not what we want for the driveway. I'm looking to re purpose it, and this is one place where I could. The general idea was to dig a trench 1-2' deep (12-24 in), lay the rock on the bottom 3/4ths of it, leaving about 6" and fill it back in with soil. I'm not too inclined for piping (:effort:), mainly because there isn't a good spot to bring the piping out so that it isn't just creating another swamp in the yard.

Basically I'm looking to have the water drain out after a rain (I'm talking a day to drain out vs a week) faster than it is now. Is this feasible, or am I asking for trouble doing it like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
With those rocks, I'd be worried about the water carrying dirt in between them. Which leaves you with an area that's even less permeable than before. If I had to use those and no drain pipe, I'd make the trench a foot or more wide, line it with landscape fabric before dumping the rocks in, and make sure the trench is level or slopes down toward the dry parts of the yard.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

The other thing is, drain where? If you’re not piping it into a dry well you’re just making a different part of your yard wet.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

beep-beep car is go posted:

The other thing is, drain where? If you’re not piping it into a dry well you’re just making a different part of your yard wet.

Well, the purpose is to get the water to areas that slope off better than the swamps do. Though with the depth of the trench, it would probably just make both sides wet (though the one area less so than before).

Ceiling fan posted:

With those rocks, I'd be worried about the water carrying dirt in between them. Which leaves you with an area that's even less permeable than before. If I had to use those and no drain pipe, I'd make the trench a foot or more wide, line it with landscape fabric before dumping the rocks in, and make sure the trench is level or slopes down toward the dry parts of the yard.

I was wondering about that after I posted, that is a concern, though I do have some good landscape fabric that would work.

I'm probably just going to have to rent a transit and do a coarse topo of the yard area to see what I truly do and do not have.

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 14, 2019

cyka blyat
Sep 12, 2018

1999. What appeared to be a harmless meteorite crashing in the Nevada desert has turned out to be Darc Seed, an evil alien creature with horrible powers. By shooting strange magnetic rays, Darc Seed had turned the helpless nation into zombies and had brought the Statue of Liberty to life to do his dirty work. These rays had also given him control over many deadly weapons, but none were more powerful than the legendary samurai sword, Shura. When the great head of the samurai, Namakubi, heard that the sword had fallen into evil hands, he set off immediately for the United States. For only he possessed the strength and knowledge needed to recapture the magical sword and free the U.S. from the evil clutches of Darc Seed.

Our carport flooded terribly after storms, and we installed a french drain that took intake in two places before depositing the water in a wooded patch by our house.
Ended up getting professionals to handle it. 2000$ but they did a great job and were done in an afternoon.