Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

I don't think there's any plot to explain. In the first one he kills a bunch of guys because some gangsters kill his dog. Then in the second one we're whisked into a whimsical assassin world and he kills like 200 guys with close range pistol shots and so on. It's just like an over the top Thai action movie combined with the scenes people liked from the first matrix, without the subtext about discovering your true gender identity

Declan MacManus posted:

honestly just watch the third one and if you love it go back and watch the first two

it’s a gunkata fever dream

Yeah

NickRoweFillea posted:

Rick you owe it to yourself to watch the first two, either before or after you watch three. Just make sure you watch them, because they are good.

But also yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Watching both John Wick movies probably won't be necessary for the 3rd but I'd go with the first over the second if you have a choice.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

if you want to get into the complex mythology of why john wick is killing all of these people, it is because they are "bad guys"

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

R.D. Mangles posted:

if you want to get into the complex mythology of why john wick is killing all of these people, it is because they are "bad guys"

Specifically, they are kill puppy guys

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

it turns out that i am way more willing to accept cryptofascist "kill the bad guys" bloodshed fantasies if it's because they killed a dog

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

John Wick was fantastic and John Wick 2 was pretty good I guess

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

it turns out that i am way more willing to accept cryptofascist "kill the bad guys" bloodshed fantasies if it's because they killed a dog

Deathwish: thinly veiled racist murder fantasy featuring brutal murder of women that exist purely to be murdered for main character motivation

John Wick: probably not that at all, dead dog instead

yeah checks out, I should really watch the first two

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1129249773163356160?s=19

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Connelly is overrated, and I think their good drafting in years past is due to their excellent overall scouting instead of his decision-making.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/1129409118471692288?s=19

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

https://twitter.com/MasonGinsberg/status/1129420830247661569

https://twitter.com/NOLAJake/status/1129423981218619392

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Lmao

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
That’s my mayor :unsmith:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The funny thing is that this is pretty much what the story is too; I mean I normally wouldn't click a Kurt Helin article because he misses on his rumors so often, but I wanted to see what he sourced and it just turns out that the article title was just major clickbait.

---

At this point we are in full Dwight territory where I don't care anymore, I just want something to happen so this is over. And I'm skeptical about an AD/Lebron pairing. They have pretty compatible games for sure, but I don't trust Vogel/Kidd to be imaginative enough to leverage that production to make up for the fact that the Lakers don't have much shooting.

Rick fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 17, 2019

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

#4 + lonzo + ingram + kuzma is better than any offer they're gonna get aside from maybe the knicks (and that depends on how much you like dennis smith jr/kevin knox and whether or not they want to trade mitchell robinson while his value is at its peak)

i think the celtics have overplayed their hand vis a vis tatum and brown, and depending on how things shake out over the next season, the grizzlies pick might not be a very good one once it's conveyed

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I don't like pairing Lonzo with Zion, Ingram has a ton of questions left to answer and only a single season left to have them answered before his first big contract, Kuzma is older and nearly at his peak and is still awful at defense and not good enough at offense to overcome if.

RJ Barrett may possibly one day be as good as Ingram but the Pels won't have to be tied to as big of a contract with him in order to find out. The other Knicks guys are whatever, but they are also cheaper for longer.

The Knicks also have a couple Dallas picks which may be better than any other future picks being offered.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Kibner posted:

I don't like pairing Lonzo with Zion, Ingram has a ton of questions left to answer and only a single season left to have them answered before his first big contract, Kuzma is older and nearly at his peak and is still awful at defense and not good enough at offense to overcome if.

RJ Barrett may possibly one day be as good as Ingram but the Pels won't have to be tied to as big of a contract with him in order to find out. The other Knicks guys are whatever, but they are also cheaper for longer.

The Knicks also have a couple Dallas picks which may be better than any other future picks being offered.

I don't understand not wanting to pair Lonzo with Zion. Lonzo is elite when he runs and it's going to be very hard to stop the Pelicans from running with someone like Zion on the floor. You're getting all the good out of Lonzo without also depending on him being a halfcourt player because you have Jrue Holiday to do that.

If you think you should pair RJ with Zion again, I don't know what to tell you. That was a disaster.

And maybe RJ could be as good as Ingram someday, but Ingram is the eleventh best ISO player in the league right now, and he did that playing next to Lebron James and while shooting a limited number of threes (because Earvin Johnson discouraged him from taking threes, a coach like Gentry would encourage his outside shooting). He's just entering the point in his career where the refs are starting to give him calls and he's fixed his bad free throw shooting. And we already know that Ingram is unselfish, and we already know that RJ is going to have to have his selfishness coached out of him. He won't ice out Jrue or Zion if they're playing well. He'll just play defense, which oh yeah, he's one of the best defensive guards in the league as well. Can RJ play defense in the pros? Who knows. You worry about unanswered questions with Ingram, but man good luck with RJ.

I can understand being skeptical about Kuzma, he has some great highs but a lot of lows.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/theborisdiaw/status/1129426522530557953

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I mostly worry about unanswered questions with Ingram because he will need to be signed to a potentially large contract after this season. RJ has three more years before that's a worry.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/sethdunlap/status/1129464592013381632

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Anthony, welcome to LA

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

The funny thing is that this is pretty much what the story is too; I mean I normally wouldn't click a Kurt Helin article because he misses on his rumors so often, but I wanted to see what he sourced and it just turns out that the article title was just major clickbait.

---

At this point we are in full Dwight territory where I don't care anymore, I just want something to happen so this is over. And I'm skeptical about an AD/Lebron pairing. They have pretty compatible games for sure, but I don't trust Vogel/Kidd to be imaginative enough to leverage that production to make up for the fact that the Lakers don't have much shooting.

I understand your concern about Kidd Vogel the new drag star coach of the LA Lakemen. Lebron thrived with an elite garbage man in Chris Bosh. This time there may not be a second guard to take usage away. It seems like everyone who isn't a role player or a just a great complimentary player doesn't fit with Lebron because he's so ball dominant and bitchy about playing a style he prefers, but Anthony Davis seems like he needs to go outside himself a bit to be the game crushing guy he can be, so it makes sense that he'd be okay being the second man to Lebron, with the intention of replacing him or moving on if it doesn't work.

I would guess that Ingram would want to leave if there's a Davis trade as it has the possibility to really depress his production. Lonzo might stick around, because we're seeing that he's really a complimentary player and not a star in the making, and NO might really like the idea of having Jrue and Zion together.

I will stop writing before I wander deeper into the mists of the abstract.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think you could absolutely play Jrue and Lonzo together in the backcourt, and it might be the best defensive backcourt in the league (for what that's worth). That may be the way to get the best out of Lonzo, really.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1129487420070744066?s=19

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Lockback posted:

I think you could absolutely play Jrue and Lonzo together in the backcourt, and it might be the best defensive backcourt in the league (for what that's worth). That may be the way to get the best out of Lonzo, really.

i actually really like the pairing and think if zion hits the ground running they could be playoff dark horses

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Kibner posted:

I mostly worry about unanswered questions with Ingram because he will need to be signed to a potentially large contract after this season. RJ has three more years before that's a worry.

I think the only way that you would have to pay Ingram is if he helped the Pelicans be a competitive team rather quickly. If he regresses or is incompatible, they aren't in a Wiggins scenario because they have Zion, Jrue and the #4 pick and have a much stronger negotiation hand to get Ingram on a reasonable deal. I don't think there are going to be max offers out there for Ingram if he has a bad season.

I think punting on the next couple of years and praying the Mavs stay bad even though they added Porzingis and that RJ comes along and doesn't alienate Zion seems harrowing to me.

E: I would go as far to say that even though I think RJ is the third best player available, I probably wouldn't draft him if I did the Knicks trade.

Rick fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 17, 2019

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Understandable.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If they stick Zion with RJ again the team deserves to be contracted.

The Lakers players may not be stars but they're at least real NBA rotation players. That's a lot more than you can say for any of the young Knicks guys except Robinson. I don't see how the difference between 3 and 4 in a draft that gets muddled after 2 and a couple Dallas picks that have a decent chance of winding up in the teens make up the difference there.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 17, 2019

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Kibner posted:

Understandable.

I'm sorry Kibner I'm not trying to invalidate your position here if that's what it's coming off as, it's valid I just disagree.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Dejan Bimble posted:

I understand your concern about Kidd Vogel the new drag star coach of the LA Lakemen. Lebron thrived with an elite garbage man in Chris Bosh. This time there may not be a second guard to take usage away. It seems like everyone who isn't a role player or a just a great complimentary player doesn't fit with Lebron because he's so ball dominant and bitchy about playing a style he prefers, but Anthony Davis seems like he needs to go outside himself a bit to be the game crushing guy he can be, so it makes sense that he'd be okay being the second man to Lebron, with the intention of replacing him or moving on if it doesn't work.

I would guess that Ingram would want to leave if there's a Davis trade as it has the possibility to really depress his production. Lonzo might stick around, because we're seeing that he's really a complimentary player and not a star in the making, and NO might really like the idea of having Jrue and Zion together.

I will stop writing before I wander deeper into the mists of the abstract.

I agree with this, I just worry that the Lakers will lose a lot of games where AD and LeBron combine for 50-60 points and they get nothing from Alex Carusso (who is their starting guard unless they can get a star to take a paycut).

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
https://twitter.com/SeanDeveney/status/1129500403391959040

No idea what this trade would end up but im pretty sure both teams fans would be unhappy

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
What does Miami even have to trade?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

MourningView posted:

What does Miami even have to trade?

Justise Winslow I guess

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rick posted:

I'm sorry Kibner I'm not trying to invalidate your position here if that's what it's coming off as, it's valid I just disagree.

Nah, we cool.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

morestuff posted:

Justise Winslow I guess

so, nothing???

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I didn't know Magic discouraged Ingram shooting from deep.

Interested to see how a Lowry to LA trade would work, Ujiri's not an idiot so he might actually get something...but I also feel like that means they'd wave bye to Lonzo despite Kyle's age

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I didn't know Magic discouraged Ingram shooting from deep.

Interested to see how a Lowry to LA trade would work, Ujiri's not an idiot so he might actually get something...but I also feel like that means they'd wave bye to Lonzo despite Kyle's age

i think if they can keep lonzo they will since big baller brand and by extension the lavar ball circus has quieted down and he’s still pretty young and does look really good on defense and in transition

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

i think if they can keep lonzo they will since big baller brand and by extension the lavar ball circus has quieted down and he’s still pretty young and does look really good on defense and in transition

At the same time if James wants Ball gone, I feel like it happens

(I have no idea if he does or not)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

At the same time if James wants Ball gone, I feel like it happens

(I have no idea if he does or not)

Seemed like the issues were mostly on Ball's (or at least LaVar's) end, aside from LeBron wanting to just generally trade everyone for Davis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

speaking of that, does trading ball for tj warren straight up (at least, player-wise) help the lakers? It looks like it might work but it looks like there's cap implications that none of the trade machines handle, and something like KCP (stand-in for tj warren), ingram, hart, wagner OR kuzma works and ball/ingram/hart/wagner/kuzma doesn't get it done, being 2-3MM off of the mark.