Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Spacebump posted:

At some point I'm going to type something up about Dirk's retirement for this threat but I need to wait until I'm done with finals.

I'm so sad it's over, dude

like it was time, but still...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I don't really object to the current state of the game, I think basketball is in an incredibly fun era, but I do kinda wish it weren't so min-maxed. I wish there were more room for the Paul Pierce pull-up, the Rip Hamilton run-around-a-bunch-until-you-get-a-14-footer, and Dirk imitators

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

He's one of my favorite active players lol

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Make the 3 point line variable like baseball park dimensions. 27 foot line, 18 foot line, corner 3, no corner 3, no 3 point line at all, go wild

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
~Rumors~ are the Mavs top free agent targets will be Kemba and Middleton which I am much more on board with than previous rumored interests Vucevic and Dragic

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

MourningView posted:

It's pretty hard to see Middleton leaving

Yeah, I think it's probably Kemba or bust, but I'm just encouraged that the Mavs seem to recognize their problems are shooting and lack of ball-handlers outside of Luka, as opposed to not enough Europeans

And really it's the Mavs so we're not getting Kemba either, though Kemba-Luka-Porzingis who i hope is not a rapist sounds extremely fun

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Lockback posted:

Mavs should probably chill for another year and get another good draft pick/maybe take some fliers on guys. Bringing in veteran players right now seems not ideal. Luka is really good but he certainly still is on his growth curve and probably isn't ready to be the guy on a competitive team yet.

I think it kinda depends who they can bring in. I don't think a Kemba makes the team a contender or anything but he's a player crush of mine and I'd be happy with a fun team after the last few years. Another Harrison Barnes type deal would be a huge waste of time.

I'd pretty OK if the team just targeted mid tier 3 and d types and added some rebounding, though. I wouldn't put money on a playoff berth but I think Luka + porzingis + not shooting like 32% on open threes would make for a much stronger and more entertaining team

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Redgrendel2001 posted:

It's amazing esp given his playstyle was conducive to having your knees explode at some point between the age of 28-32.

I remember thinking around the time he left the Nets that he would probably be hanging it up soon. That was like a decade ago

also am I crazy or wasn't Vince considered kinda fragile in Toronto? He might've been one of the last guys I'd pick from his generation to stick around this long

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1136688094109941760

Max he's eligible for is 4/55. Powell has value because he's such a good rim runner but he's an active liability at everything else. If they actually envision Powell as the long term compliment to porzingis in the starting lineup I don't even know what to say

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

analytics has empowered dorks to overthink and try to moneyball their way to success whether or not it’s a good idea

It owns cuz 4/37 felt like an overpay years ago, and here we are at the end of that contract and he's the exact same player and likely getting a big raise. Very smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Spacebump posted:

It's more likely Maxi or Free Agent starts than Powell. I really like this assuming Powell is coming off the bench. A bench big that doesn't take dumb shots and is willing to share the ball on offense is cool. I think Powell opting in was the best case scenario for keeping him on the roster. You watched more than I did this year and I can understand disliking him. I guess it will really depend on what his role is next year.

I don't dislike Powell but I think a team with terrible holes in the shooting, rebounding, and defense departments should be more discriminating about giving long contracts to guys who can't shoot, rebound, or defend.