Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i mean it’s possible ad thought he wanted out (and to la specifically) and then watched los angeles’ season go up in flames and is having second thoughts as a result

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Kibner posted:

Make it so a foul on even 3pt shots results in only two free throws.

that’ll definitely speed up the game

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Kibner posted:

Make it so you foul out after five fouls, too.

man that’s gonna be a miserable overtime

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

Can someone get me excited for the Grizzlies hiring Cho

he drafted kemba and tobias harris (whom he traded on draft night), acquired jeremy lamb in a deal that was pretty okay overall, and uh that’s kinda it

he traded for nic batum who was good until they extended him but other than that it’s mostly mediocre draft picks and trading spare parts to make sure they could field a starting 5

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

man i remember when Doughy Kevin Love was a meme

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I'm Battlefield 5, not an electronic sport but an electronic world War 2 game, there was a significant portion of people loudly complaining why they couldn't dress like real Nazis did, why there were non-white player characters, and why there were women in the game.

I imagine voice coms with those people is just gross nonstop nazi "role-playing".

Frankly I just assume the player base of any vidja game has hordes of people like this.

online culture has always had a vested interest in using that anonymity and impersonal feel to violate taboos, as you can see if you pay for archives access

the gaming community has a decidedly technolibertarian bent where any censorship and any rules not related to competitveness are automatically Bad; the majority of them are not bigots or actively malicious people but fall into the common category of “racist in an oblivious/insensitive way”

i think anyone who chooses to identify a hobby as a personality trait is ultimately a fuckin antisocial weirdo though

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I honestly think it probably is in terms of the whole and this thread is just using anecdote as fact.

i mean ask a woman or a person of color how their online gaming experiences are going and get back to me

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

the best basketball team of all time is the bulls team when nate robinson defeated the brooklyn nets

those ultra scrappy bulls teams with joakim, taj gibson, and a rotation of random plug and play undersized gunners at pg were way more fun to watch than they had any right to be

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i doubt he can trade for kawhi leonard again

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Lockback posted:

Kemba and Lonzo could play together, but I think Lonzo was signalling hard to get out of LA.

his dad was angling for phoenix so he could be A Starting Point Guard but tbh i think he and lonzo are on the outs at this point and lonzo just wants a fresh start

i dunno if the pelicans have a ton of interest in the lakers trade package for ad or if it was mostly spite but i think ad gets moved to boston or (wildcard) brooklyn although that bounty of first round picks looks pretty lovely going into the draft

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

that’s extremely underwhelming but i guess they could’ve done worse

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Rick posted:

Stephen Jackson's not the only example of Pop losing the locker room. LMA's first year, the mess around Kawhi and not to mention that all of those dudes hated him when he was GM and pretty much ignored him when he took over as coach. Obviously it's easy to blame the involved players, because all the examples are locker rooms with guys who are notorious, but I think that's illustrative of my point, which is that coaches only have so much control over what type of culture the locker room has. If anything this is a GM thing more than anything.

I mean I can name four guys and a reality TV show notorious for being locker room problems with that Cavs team that year.

Don't get me wrong, the Lakers are going to have locker room problems this year because Javale and Rondo are likely to come back but I think Cool Older Brother Ty Lue (or Cool Uncle Who's Religious But Not a Dick About It Monty Williams had they gone that direction) have as better chance of reaching people than Cankerous Preacher Mark Jackson or Bully Brother Jason Kidd.

ty lue makes sense for a lebron team; he’s very much a player’s coach and isn’t going to get cute with x’s and o’s or trying to call plays

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

if kyrie leaves do the celtics try for kemba amd basically just recreate their flawed 2019 team with a more emotionally stable pg?

also it’s loving wild how the celtics situation deterioriated between 2017 and now

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

sometimes i wonder if boston media has to be fed the stories or if they’re just circling the upcoming FAs like sharks

then again kyrie did himself basically 0 favors all season long so who knows

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

cp3 for butler probably would’ve been a good trade a few months ago but that’s only with the benefit of hindsight

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Caron Butler?

like if houston had beaten philly to the punch

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Lockback posted:

Would be a weird window for the 76ers. I don't think you're wrong but it shifts a "peak in 2 years" to "win right now" which might be tough.

Unless you meant trade with the Timberwolves and just wanted to punish Chris Paul.

i like philly as a destination but don’t know that they’d move butler so soon after acquiring him but he does shore up a lot of problems

i figured cp3 would be a good “straw that stirs the drink” for minnesota and foster the development of their big men

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

hifi posted:

felony escape sounds like bullshit, and lol at booker/ayton/oubre all being there in the vip section

trying to escape from bullshit charges, for shame young man, should’ve had his nose in the playbook

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Spacebump posted:

Suns have had 3 top 5 picks in a row, how many more do they need?

I'm just getting ready for the coming disappointment when the Mavs don't move up in the lotto.

the last five drafts they’ve picked in the first round:
-alex len
-nemanja nedovic
-tj warren
-tyler ennis
-bogdan son of bogdan
-devin booker (hey good job)
-dragan bender
-georgy papajohn’s
-skal labissiere
-josh jackson
-deandre ayton (looks like a hey good job but too soon to tell)
-technically zhaire smith

one that’s a shitload of first round picks wow but two maybe three of those guys are quality nba starters; you just gotta keep giving the suns high picks and hope they work out

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Dejan Bimble posted:

Why are half of these kings guys? Did they have a big trade that i'm forgetting?

Len was in a bad draft and I think just discussed as a guy who might be a starter someday. I'd call it a fair bust
Nedovic wasn't supposed to do anything and didn't
TJ Warren was an old school bucket getter fat boy sf and he's lived up to that
bogdan bogdan bogdan has been great for sacto
dragan is just too slow to do the stuff he did to impress scouts in europe, huge bust
papajohn was a sleeper guy according to dokmo based on his pnr play in europe, bust
skal of course was the top guy in the country until we figured out he had no bball iq whatsoever. Maybe he'll be good in 5 years, he's shown some flashes. Very skilled for his size

josh jackson, a gamble worth taking and probably be much better on a better team
ayton - totally fine so far

I'm not trying to contradict you, just reviewing them all in my mental card catalog. Lottery picks are not a surefire route back to prominence if your front office sucks or your owner is an idiot or both

yeah; i think a lot of the mentality is lottery picks are just that, lottery tickets and that more picks = better chances

the suns ended up trading a lot of those dudes very early on (some on draft night) so it might not be fair to grade them based on that but they sure are bad at improving their team

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

The Big Jesus posted:

Also they've all been talking for weeks beforehand so it doesn't matter

yeah i think it allows them plausible deniability vis a vis tampering, which is something they care about now i guess?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

honestly just watch the third one and if you love it go back and watch the first two

it’s a gunkata fever dream

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

it turns out that i am way more willing to accept cryptofascist "kill the bad guys" bloodshed fantasies if it's because they killed a dog

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

#4 + lonzo + ingram + kuzma is better than any offer they're gonna get aside from maybe the knicks (and that depends on how much you like dennis smith jr/kevin knox and whether or not they want to trade mitchell robinson while his value is at its peak)

i think the celtics have overplayed their hand vis a vis tatum and brown, and depending on how things shake out over the next season, the grizzlies pick might not be a very good one once it's conveyed

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Lockback posted:

I think you could absolutely play Jrue and Lonzo together in the backcourt, and it might be the best defensive backcourt in the league (for what that's worth). That may be the way to get the best out of Lonzo, really.

i actually really like the pairing and think if zion hits the ground running they could be playoff dark horses

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I didn't know Magic discouraged Ingram shooting from deep.

Interested to see how a Lowry to LA trade would work, Ujiri's not an idiot so he might actually get something...but I also feel like that means they'd wave bye to Lonzo despite Kyle's age

i think if they can keep lonzo they will since big baller brand and by extension the lavar ball circus has quieted down and he’s still pretty young and does look really good on defense and in transition

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

“How are the Lakers gonna afford a max contract for Josh Hart?” -josh hart

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

also one time he dunked on lebron when that meant something and then nike tried to confiscate the tapes

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i can’t imagine them getting fair value for capela unless they moved him for like ad or something

it’d be stupid to replace him with an inferior version just so they can have, like, paul george or something

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Lockback posted:

You have a very, very high opinion of Capela. Not that this would happen, but you trade Capela for, like, Gorgui Dieng + PG13 every day of the week.

he’s an ideal pick and roll finisher, rim runner, rebounder, and interior defender for the scheme the rockets are running

short of grabbing gobert or 2009 dwight howard you aren’t going to find a better piece for the system d’antoni is running

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i’m mostly poo pooing morey panicking and screaming out for more stars every offseason like he’s the nemesis from re3; paul george is definitely better than capela in a vacuum but i feel like that hypothetical dieng trade would make the rockets worse

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

gordon would be a good sixth man for a contender and has good name recognition; you could move him pretty easily

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Dejan Bimble posted:

Is translating this to "Lebron does not ever want to switch onto bigs or small fast guards" going too far?

nah i think that’s pretty accurate, i think lebron’s got too many miles to chase dudes through screens around the perimeter for 82 games a season and as such any reasonable aggressive switching scheme would have him probably at the 4 or 5 for most of the game on defense

but yeah vogel sounds like a loving pushover who hasn’t paid attention to the direction the nba is trending

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

feel bad for the cool rear end rockets fans but daryl morey is a false fuckin prophet and sucks

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

Hahahah morey is melting down that their window is closing and he went all in with no future flexibility and he’s going to scuttle the whole thing

they have one (1) extremely tradeable asset in capela’s contract and i guess an expiring gordon but they’d have to replace two very significant rotation pieces and also find someone to take on cp3’s monster contract which lmao

signing cp3 looked okay at the time but in hindsight was a bad call with harden coming off a great season running point under d’antoni

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Bazemore, Plumlee, #8 and/or #10 works.

even though this is a weak draft, two firsts is a bit much for a 30 year old blake griffin who will be pretty far out of his prime by the time they’re ready to contend

also that collins/griffin frontcourt would be v bad defensively

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Chairchucker posted:

If Rubio gets traded to the Bulls I'm probably not gonna bother watching the NBA next season

EDIT: wait I think he's a free agent, he's not going to the Bulls.

rubio’s going to either the lakers or the knicks as a splashy backup signing

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Chairchucker posted:

He'll probably go to the Celtics to replace Kyrie when Kyrie goes to the Knicks and I'll be a bit disappointed but less than if he'd gone to the Bulls.

rubio’s, like, the worst possible replacement imaginable for kyrie

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Quizzlefish posted:

I saw a SBNation article about the Blazers trading Meyers Leonard and Mo Harkless plus a late first for Kevin Love. It seems pretty pie in the sky but think that the Cavs would give up Love just for expiring contracts?

it’d be a good move for the blazers just for depth

he also fits into their offense nicely as a dude who can crash the boards and hit threes even if he’s not the guy he used to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Quizzlefish posted:

Blazers would be a lock for first round home court with him even if they rested him loads. It could work right?

you’re assuming the lakers and clippers strike out in free agency (very possible) and that okc treads water in the regular season without making any moves (less likely)

and also that the jazz don’t get any better i guess