Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
6 mil per is pretty decent for a first contract with a team, and pretty standard for dudes on their second job after getting fired (like, it's what coach Bud is making). Guys don't usually start making bucks unless they survive to the second contract with a team. Maybe the Knicks will beat that next year if Fizzdale is the fall guy but that's pretty much the deal other teams are gonna offer too.

I dunno I wouldn't have minded the Lakers beating it because they have the money and I really do believe in Ty Lue but it kind of feels like another Rich Paul overplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

IcePhoenix posted:

is this not the thread for news about loser teams not in the playoffs?

I'm hoping for discussion of that news. Like i"m obviously not the king of the world and people are going to do what they want.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I'm guessing that they want a coach who's on the same timeline as LeBron, but yes it's loving stupid.

You give them the 5 year contract because it's worth it at this point just to stabilize things.

You say this like five year contracts are common for coaches but they aren't. It's usually 3 years or 4 years for a coach that is in high enough demand that they can demand something extra. And that 4th year is actually a team option half the time. Like BMV said, college coaches often get a 5 year offer to lure them over but even that is rarer these days.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

morestuff posted:

It's not exactly rare either, though. The last few hires:

Monty Williams - five years
Luke Walton - four years
Jim Boylen - undisclosed but reportedly "likely" three years
Nick Nurse - three years
Dwayne Casey - five years
Steve Clifford - four years
Mike Budenholzer - four years
Lloyd Pierce - four years
James Borrego - four years
David Fizdale - four years
Mike D'Antoni - four years
Nate McMillan - three years
Scott Brooks - five years

I'm sure salary and options play a part in the contract length, but holding fast on three years for an experienced coach still seems unusual

I mean a lot of guys on this list are a good argument against four year coaching contracts.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Lue used to be represented by Klutch but apparently that is no longer the case.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I was worried the protest would be embarrassing (or, rather, it's already embarrassing at the base level of protesting a franchise that very likely allowed the fans there to experience winning 3-10 titles in their lifetime while the loving world is burning down, but I was worried it would somehow manage to be embarrassing in excess of that) but it really just looks kind of boring.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Welcome Houston Rockets fans. I feel a lot better about this team than I did about them at the end of last year and way better than the years prior. Which is interesting because the Rockets started the year out looking cooked. I guess congrats to Morey for having the scapegoat in Melo and James Harden for carrying this team for like three and a half months of the season. This is obviously not the way that Rocket fans wanted to see the season end, and it sucks that someone has to lose, but I think the title window is still open. Even if Durant doesn't leave. The Rockets are so close. If you think back to Mavs, or even farther back to the Jerry West Lakers, these are teams that got so close to the mountain top again and again against the teams of the generation, and they managed to eventually get their win, so there's still reason to have hope.

Fooches, I often poke at the things you post but you could post poop poop pee pee all day long and I wouldn't give a gently caress because you're one of this forum's best people without a doubt. I have seen you offer help to people over and over and over again over the years, even though you yourself are definitely not playing life on easy mode. You care about people and back your care up with actions and it's amazing. I respect the hell out of you.

It is true that sports are supposed to theoretically bring joy, and for some of us, that joy is something that can really help patch over some holes in life, especially if some of those sorts of things that may normally fill those holes for many people may not be present or more challenging to acquire; unfortunately sports aren't always fair, and it sucks when things don't go well and those patches don't come. But I often almost think that the time when that joy isn't being brought by the sport is also useful, because it's a type of sadness that I can put in a box and throw away without any consequence, which almost can be a bit of simple joy in itself in a world where I cannot very easily dismiss any of my normal problems. I don't know if that idea is helpful or not for you but honestly I'm not worried even if it isn't because you seem very strong and are going to do your best to push through your problems and probably end up fine in the long run.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
That's rough.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Welcome to the Denver Nuggets. An impressive leap forward for a team so young. You hate to say “well they will get it in the future” because you can never predict what will happen but throw certainly are set up for the years to come.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
That's a heartbreaking way to lose and enter this thread Sixers fans, I'm sorry. The team has some pending offseason drama but it's too bad because this should be seen as a season of progress. Simmons and Embiid both took steps forward and I don't think either is through developing, so I'm hoping they can keep what they can together and maybe find a bench.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The Denver Gone Fishin' is a real masterpiece, fully encompasses what fishing pictures are.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
If I remember the Sun-Times was bullshit but the Lonzo Wire (lol it still exists somehow) picked up a story from there saying that the Bulls may be offering the 6 (if they fall) for Lonzo.

Might be worth doing that if Kemba is the realistic target.

https://lonzowire.usatoday.com/2019/05/13/lonzo-ball-news-la-lakers-chicago-bulls-trade-2019-nba-draft/

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

hifi posted:

Tj warren is badass and if he was in new york they'd be talking about how he's one of the greatest pure scorers, kids on the street ball courts would be imitating his vacant thousand mile stare, and all the while snarky sports bloggers on twitter would mention how he was never actually in the top five at any given year. Oh yeah and he shot 42.8% from 3 this year

He was traded to NY the first week of the season for frank in a NBA live franchise mode and yeah instantly started getting all star buzz. I was satisfied with the simulation.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Can I start with John Wick 3? I want to see Boban.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

The funny thing is that this is pretty much what the story is too; I mean I normally wouldn't click a Kurt Helin article because he misses on his rumors so often, but I wanted to see what he sourced and it just turns out that the article title was just major clickbait.

---

At this point we are in full Dwight territory where I don't care anymore, I just want something to happen so this is over. And I'm skeptical about an AD/Lebron pairing. They have pretty compatible games for sure, but I don't trust Vogel/Kidd to be imaginative enough to leverage that production to make up for the fact that the Lakers don't have much shooting.

Rick fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 17, 2019

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Kibner posted:

I don't like pairing Lonzo with Zion, Ingram has a ton of questions left to answer and only a single season left to have them answered before his first big contract, Kuzma is older and nearly at his peak and is still awful at defense and not good enough at offense to overcome if.

RJ Barrett may possibly one day be as good as Ingram but the Pels won't have to be tied to as big of a contract with him in order to find out. The other Knicks guys are whatever, but they are also cheaper for longer.

The Knicks also have a couple Dallas picks which may be better than any other future picks being offered.

I don't understand not wanting to pair Lonzo with Zion. Lonzo is elite when he runs and it's going to be very hard to stop the Pelicans from running with someone like Zion on the floor. You're getting all the good out of Lonzo without also depending on him being a halfcourt player because you have Jrue Holiday to do that.

If you think you should pair RJ with Zion again, I don't know what to tell you. That was a disaster.

And maybe RJ could be as good as Ingram someday, but Ingram is the eleventh best ISO player in the league right now, and he did that playing next to Lebron James and while shooting a limited number of threes (because Earvin Johnson discouraged him from taking threes, a coach like Gentry would encourage his outside shooting). He's just entering the point in his career where the refs are starting to give him calls and he's fixed his bad free throw shooting. And we already know that Ingram is unselfish, and we already know that RJ is going to have to have his selfishness coached out of him. He won't ice out Jrue or Zion if they're playing well. He'll just play defense, which oh yeah, he's one of the best defensive guards in the league as well. Can RJ play defense in the pros? Who knows. You worry about unanswered questions with Ingram, but man good luck with RJ.

I can understand being skeptical about Kuzma, he has some great highs but a lot of lows.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Kibner posted:

I mostly worry about unanswered questions with Ingram because he will need to be signed to a potentially large contract after this season. RJ has three more years before that's a worry.

I think the only way that you would have to pay Ingram is if he helped the Pelicans be a competitive team rather quickly. If he regresses or is incompatible, they aren't in a Wiggins scenario because they have Zion, Jrue and the #4 pick and have a much stronger negotiation hand to get Ingram on a reasonable deal. I don't think there are going to be max offers out there for Ingram if he has a bad season.

I think punting on the next couple of years and praying the Mavs stay bad even though they added Porzingis and that RJ comes along and doesn't alienate Zion seems harrowing to me.

E: I would go as far to say that even though I think RJ is the third best player available, I probably wouldn't draft him if I did the Knicks trade.

Rick fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 17, 2019

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Kibner posted:

Understandable.

I'm sorry Kibner I'm not trying to invalidate your position here if that's what it's coming off as, it's valid I just disagree.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Dejan Bimble posted:

I understand your concern about Kidd Vogel the new drag star coach of the LA Lakemen. Lebron thrived with an elite garbage man in Chris Bosh. This time there may not be a second guard to take usage away. It seems like everyone who isn't a role player or a just a great complimentary player doesn't fit with Lebron because he's so ball dominant and bitchy about playing a style he prefers, but Anthony Davis seems like he needs to go outside himself a bit to be the game crushing guy he can be, so it makes sense that he'd be okay being the second man to Lebron, with the intention of replacing him or moving on if it doesn't work.

I would guess that Ingram would want to leave if there's a Davis trade as it has the possibility to really depress his production. Lonzo might stick around, because we're seeing that he's really a complimentary player and not a star in the making, and NO might really like the idea of having Jrue and Zion together.

I will stop writing before I wander deeper into the mists of the abstract.

I agree with this, I just worry that the Lakers will lose a lot of games where AD and LeBron combine for 50-60 points and they get nothing from Alex Carusso (who is their starting guard unless they can get a star to take a paycut).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I didn't know Magic discouraged Ingram shooting from deep.

Interested to see how a Lowry to LA trade would work, Ujiri's not an idiot so he might actually get something...but I also feel like that means they'd wave bye to Lonzo despite Kyle's age

Even before he got rid of Jim and Mitch when he was hired the first thing he did was do an interview where he talked about how he spoke to Ingram and asked him to focus on attacking the rim, and over the years he reinforced that he liked Ingram attacking the basket. It's funny because his teammates talk about Ingram being this great practice shooter but in game if he misses one three he stops taking them.

Kibner posted:

Nah, we cool.

Good!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I remember when Jim Rome was fascinated by it for one or two mon...years so this fake dick is a nostalgic thing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
i don't know anything about that guy specifically but always good to get someone from a team that's doing a good job.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
D’Antoni’s yearly demand for an extension no matter how good or bad a job he did is something I don’t miss.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

I thought he did a pretty decent job.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Somewhere or other I heard a decent case made for the fact that Zion's people probably are as anxious to get AD out as AD is to get out and it makes sense to me.

Rick fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 20, 2019

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Of all the crazy things Earvin said today, one that stands out to me is that apparently the Lakers draft team had settled on Mitchell Robinson and he overruled them to pick Wagner.

I do like Wagner but Robinson would've been a better fit for the Lakers.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Metapod please don't get sucked away in a tornado.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Welcome Portland Trailblazers fans. Your team showed a lot of heart getting this far but the Warriors swallow sweet stories whole.

I expect the Blazers to be back next year in the playoffs when I was not saying that at the end of last season.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Lebron on the Blazers with all those shooters, and they'd roll over the regular season west until the Warriors punished them for also being the worst defensive team in the league.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

How many of those 17 point leads do the Blazers give up with Nurkic?

Hard to say. Definitely he would have helped on the rebounding front, although one of the most effective things the Blazers did to the Warriors was make them chase Collins and Leonard around at the three and Nurkic doesn't do that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Lebron's favorite Laker? Eddie Jones (Lebron apparently wants to finish his career with the Lakers, still).

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/lebron-james-reportedly-happy-in-los-angeles-wants-to-play-there-for-the-rest-of-his-career/

Obviously not the sort of thing that one puts too much stock in, but it's still nice to hear.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

They FIRED the guy who retired, and then returned mid season when they begged him?

That seems rough.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Between this and the comments about Vogel yesterday, I don't think Jason Hart wants to be there any more.

https://twitter.com/LakeShowCP/status/1131372352653029376?s=19

He probably wasn't purposely dissing Frank Vogel (his "45 year old guy telling him about analytics" was pretty generic media criticism in context) although he is pretty unhappy for sure. It sounds a lot like he thought they were going to turn the franchise over to him the way they did in summer league (maybe they told him that?) and just in general is not happy about being a roleplayer. Which sucks but I don't know what the answer is, and it's not like he lit it up when the Ingram and Lonzo were out and the Lakers second scorer spot was up for grabs. I just think in general the Lakers well was super poisoned by last year's experience, but hey throw a bunch of bad locker room guys on a team and then publicly fail to trade them all for AD and that's to be expected.

Rick fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 23, 2019

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
That is one of those custom extreme funerals, right? RiP.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Welcome Bucks fans. I did not expect your team to lose so I have not even been thinking of anything to say here, but keep Brook Lopez and the future is bright.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I honestly feel like unless they have a Very Great free agent knocking on their door the Lakers would probably be better off overpaying for Brook Lopez than most of the dudes out there.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I sympathize with them, to me the things that Rod Strickland/Crawford are doing just are more impressive to me and probably always will be.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Dejan Bimble posted:

We need a new And1 Mixtape tour so that these men are not forgotten amid the Jaylens and Jadens with 7 foot wingspans and no ability to turn over either shoulder

Eventually the Big 3 will start drafting people out of high school, I hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think the playoffs are mostly fine as-is but play-ins are one of those things that I could see doing a lot of ratings.