Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Loaded up the kayaks, it's high up to dock these things:

Some firewood and kindling, food, and supplies for a weekend:

Went for a hike on the way up to the campsite and came across the most inviting sign, I have a strident disregard for safety.

I was then somewhat disappointed:

All set up:

The old truck rim at this site was... a loving Alcoa:

As I mentioned before, I have a strident disregard for safety and also a general lack of patience when it comes to lighting poo poo on fire:

In all, it was nice to spend a weekend in the middle of nowhere with more moose than cell service and massholes.

I did also drive on some pretty gnarly roads at full send and nothing broke, so that's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

My kayak holder thingies (cheapest poo poo you can buy on amazon) came with kinda crap friction straps. Not safe for holding kayaks on the roof, but perfectly good for making this a bit less ghetto.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
I'm surprised no one has vandalized this sign to say "Stay blazed on hiking trail"

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

nmfree posted:

I'm surprised no one has vandalized this sign to say "Stay blazed on hiking trail"

Wait...

People hike not blazed?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I believe the Norwegian standard procedure is to walk sober and then drink whiskey around the campfire.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Computer viking posted:

I believe the Norwegian standard procedure is to walk sober and then drink whiskey around the campfire.

Yea because hiking trails in Norway tend to be dangerous as gently caress. At least they are where I used to live in the lofoten islands.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sucks that raising the truck makes it more of a pain for loading poo poo on the roof do you need a stool yet? I loved the added bonus of easier loading for my paddle board after I lowered my xB :v:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
My Jeep keeps getting higher and I keep getting stronger in the shoulders 😅

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I'm over 6 foot tall and I'm not a complete weakling, I can lift the boats up there without too much trouble. Good thing, my wife can't even reach that high to help. A step stool seems like a good idea until you're parked on a beach :v:

So last night at like 7 I decided it would be a good idea to change the ATF in the toyota. I had to drive 15 minutes to even get ATF because walmart doesn't have loving dexron, so in all I probably spent 45 minutes. I would have just given up at that point, but I pulled the drain plug before I left. We'll see if it breaks driving to work today. The owner's manual said it takes 2 quarts on a drain fill, which seems suspiciously low. I figured changing the filter might add a bit more, but... Turns out it took about a gallon and a half, good thing I bought extra... Otherwise I'd be kinda screwed.

Edit: I couldn't notice anything different in the way it shifts which is a good thing. No leaks under the car when I got to work. I'll check the level when I get home, but I should still do one more drain\fill in it.

chrisgt fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 22, 2019

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I've packed some stupid amount of poo poo that shouldn't have fit in rovers, but you are my new hero.

Also that tractor looks awesome.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

chrisgt posted:

I'm over 6 foot tall and I'm not a complete weakling, I can lift the boats up there without too much trouble. Good thing, my wife can't even reach that high to help. A step stool seems like a good idea until you're parked on a beach :v:

So last night at like 7 I decided it would be a good idea to change the ATF in the toyota. I had to drive 15 minutes to even get ATF because walmart doesn't have loving dexron, so in all I probably spent 45 minutes. I would have just given up at that point, but I pulled the drain plug before I left. We'll see if it breaks driving to work today. The owner's manual said it takes 2 quarts on a drain fill, which seems suspiciously low. I figured changing the filter might add a bit more, but... Turns out it took about a gallon and a half, good thing I bought extra... Otherwise I'd be kinda screwed.

Edit: I couldn't notice anything different in the way it shifts which is a good thing. No leaks under the car when I got to work. I'll check the level when I get home, but I should still do one more drain\fill in it.

2 quarts is silly. My Crown Vic took like 6 or 7, and of course it was fairly expensive Ford stuff, too. Like $8 a quart for non-synthetic. I seem to recall that the TH350 in my Cutlass took a lot less unless you had drained the concrete, too.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Darchangel posted:

2 quarts is silly. My Crown Vic took like 6 or 7, and of course it was fairly expensive Ford stuff, too. Like $8 a quart for non-synthetic. I seem to recall that the TH350 in my Cutlass took a lot less unless you had drained the concrete, too.

Yea, I thought that was kinda BS. Good thing they specced dexron-III for that thing, the replacement fluid for that is only ~$4/gallon.
If I drain the torque converter on the mercedes it takes something like 3 gallons, still on the fence whether or not it's a good idea to touch the TQ drain plug, though...

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I have been bad at internetting lately, but I've been ridiculously busy at work. last week I wanted to get the tractor mowing again because I hate pushing the push mower. One of its bigger issues was a completely rotted out deck.

This piece has been farmerfucked back in multiple times.

I can't be bothered to replace ALL the rusty metal, but I can drill stopcrack holes...

I cut out a big chunk where the missing bracket was because sometimes you just need to start from scratch.
I'm at it with the CAD again.

New metal fits pretty well. I'm running out of the stock this is coming from, I'll have to go get more scrap metal at some point.

I make fun of how badly it was welded before, but uhh... this thing is real thin. I cleaned it up and welded over all the holes later. I'm aware this is just a stopgap for a few years.

It was somewhere between welding on this support and cutting out the piece at the bottom that disaster struck.

I was cutting out the piece of metal for the side of the deck and my grinder started running kinda slow and getting really hot. I actually had to put on a glove to hold it. I figured by the time it was getting hot and smoking it was hosed, so I may as well just send it. I made it about half an inch from finishing before it finally up and died.

The commutator bars are sad, the insulation is missing off the wires and they're all shorted out and melted together, it's properly hosed. It lasted over 10 years of my abuse, that's pretty good. I figured I'd just hop down to Lowes and buy another dewilt, if it lasts another 10 years I'll be happy.

Since I was working in the bay with the biturbo, and I had the keys with me, I just jumped in and went to the store.
I made it there fine,e I bought a new grinder.

As I got off the highway on the way home the car felt ... off. It was handling funny. And then the right rear tire felt flat. Limped it 1/4 mile to a gas station (because it was night and there are no shoulders where I was).

Not the end of the world, I can buy more tires, I can put the spare on, I can get home and finish the tractor -- Until I realized my lug wrench didn't exist. I sent some pissed off snapchats and called my wife. fortunately her subaur's lug wrench was the correct size. Put the spare on, put the flat in the spare tire carrier and BANG it fell all the way down to the ground. I spent 10 minutes trying to get it back together so it would retract (see my video on the biturbo spare tire for context...). Fortunately the spare had air in it since I filled it up a few weeks ago...
When I got it home I noticed that the front right brake is kinda hot, great... I wanna go to the import car show in a couple weeks and work is sending me to the west coast for a week...

Anyway, it was like 10pm and I went to bed.

The next day I got home at 7 or 8 pm and went back out to the rusty deck.

All fixed up.

I couldn't remember for the life of me how the drat belt went on, fortunately the routing is just barely visible on the cover. I mean, I woulda figured it out eventually, but it was easier to cheat.

Once I had that together the thing had NO POWER. It wasn't the governor, as suggested. It was going WOT and still bogging down, backfiring, and revving slowly. All the symptoms of retarded timing. Pulled the points cover and they were barely opening enough to see a gap form. Set that to .020 like the book says and BAM, poo poo runs ... well enough.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

After all that madness, a friend of mine who has a camp he never uses said I should go spend the weekend in western maine. So I did. What a lovely place.
I drove up and saw the B-52 bomber wreckage, didn't take any pics, it's all over the internet, google it.

Found this coolass tree:

Looked at this bridge built in 1800-something.

I'm probably pushing the 3 ton limit, but I drove across it anyway

Explored around another random bridge.

Paddled around an old dam structure

On Ira mountain there's a random amphitheater and some cool roads

Doing toyota things

More toyota things:

Next time I'm bringing the attex

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

One hell of a 1-2 post punch.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I disassembled the sad front brake on the maserati, cleaned it, and put it back together. Not very exciting, but I probably need to eventually find a rebuilt kit for it. I'm sure something off something else will work, it's just some bushings, seals, and bellows.
For some reason keeping the brake pedal held down didn't keep the brake fluid from coming out the brake lines like it usually does, not sure why... Anyway, I found the perfect things to stuff in the holes to keep them from dripping over night.

Also this weekend I helped add some extra traction to a rally car.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

chrisgt posted:

Anyway, I found the perfect things to stuff in the holes to keep them from dripping over night.

Considering the vehicle in question I 100% assumed that's what started coming out of the lines when I saw the pic. Because i would totally expect some PO to have put tire slime in the brake system of that thing in some attempt to "fix" it.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Motronic posted:

Considering the vehicle in question I 100% assumed that's what started coming out of the lines when I saw the pic. Because i would totally expect some PO to have put tire slime in the brake system of that thing in some attempt to "fix" it.

I had the same thought until reading the caption, haha.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

chrisgt posted:

Also this weekend I helped add some extra traction to a rally car.

That oughta do it! I just pulled the cover on a junkyard rear end and it was welded with some pretty gnarly boogers. Yours looks like a work of art in comparison, I wish I'd taken a photo.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Astonishing Wang posted:

That oughta do it! I just pulled the cover on a junkyard rear end and it was welded with some pretty gnarly boogers. Yours looks like a work of art in comparison, I wish I'd taken a photo.

I cheated and used a welder with gas. If it was flux core it would be a bit nastier.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Some say I disappeared from the face of the earth and others something something it's before 6am and this is a terrible analogy.
I have been traveling for work, is my excuse.
I stayed in a hotel for a week and it was great.

I got back from that friday night at 10pm or something. The next morning I got in the biturbo around 8am and headed out, 150 miles up to where the attex lives. I stopped to empty my blackwater tank about half way and, leaving the rest stop, my brake pedal sank all the way to the floor.
I think I broke the master cylinder. When bleeding the brakes after fixing the seized up front caliper I let the pedal go all the way down instead of putting a block under it. I know better than that, it allows the seal to go into all the rust at the back of the MC. Anyway, the brakes still work fine, just don't stand on them for more than 45 seconds or so. Hillstops at traffic lights are fun.... It would be better if I had a working parking brake.
Anyway, I made it there and back fine, all in all, I did about 400 miles that weekend. Went to an antique foreign auto show and had the only maserati.

I suck at taking pictures at car shows, but these two got to meet finally:

When I got back sunday night I changed the glowplugs in the mercedes, nothing to look at there, it was uneventful. I was able to thread the reamer tool all the way into every hole by hand, ie, the engine isn't full of carbon deposits. Now it starts up really happy.

Monday I decided to take it easy and not work on cars this week, really tired. Drove the sequoia to work on monday and this stupid poo poo happened...

I didn't do a good job taking pictures of this because I was so angry, there were some really good snapchat rants.. Anyway, tube of the wrong magic came to the rescue.

In this picture you can see I gooped it up and stuck it back in. You can also still see the studs coming out. The nuts just.... rusted off. They disappeared. When I put a new nut on the first stud it ripped out. The second one did the same. So I tack welded the sensor in. Now it's a lifetime sensor.

Also, new biturbo master cylinders are in the $500 range so I'm gonna see if I can have a machine shop sleeve it this winter when I take it all apart to refresh a bit. For now it's fine... biturbos usually stop going, mine stopped stopping, an unusual biturbo problem.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It's unusual because once they stop going no one checks if they still stop. "Ran when parked"...

You gonna fix it nicely at some point or just hamfuck it together until you need to replace the sensor or exhaust?

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
Is that the La Valencia? Stayed there on my wedding night many years ago. Thanks for letting us live the Biturbo vicariously!

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Hermaphrodite posted:

Is that the La Valencia? Stayed there on my wedding night many years ago. Thanks for letting us live the Biturbo vicariously!
Yes. Really glad I wasn't paying, holy poo poo that place is expensive. (at least by east coast standards, it's about average for the area)

kastein posted:

It's unusual because once they stop going no one checks if they still stop. "Ran when parked"...

You gonna fix it nicely at some point or just hamfuck it together until you need to replace the sensor or exhaust?

It's a rear sensor so it doesn't really do anything useful anyway (at least not useful enough for me to care about).
I could remove the sensor by grinding off a small tack weld, I didn't go and full send it.
The other side is actually interesting. I hit my head on the sensor and broke it off, but it's not setting a code for a rear o2...
I'm gonna plead the fifth on the actual question, though.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I was mostly asking because I already found the most important part of the pattern for those bungs (the bolt hole spacing) and I've got a ton of stainless plate and laser cutter access. If you want I can look into what it would take to get a few made out of 1/8 304 to be welded on clocked slightly so you can through bolt them.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

kastein posted:

I was mostly asking because I already found the most important part of the pattern for those bungs (the bolt hole spacing) and I've got a ton of stainless plate and laser cutter access. If you want I can look into what it would take to get a few made out of 1/8 304 to be welded on clocked slightly so you can through bolt them.

The issue is that the exhaust pipe is paper thin. It's not long for this world, but I'm going to wait until it breaks in February on a Monday morning so I can be properly loving angry about it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Nothing quite as satisfying as justified anger. :)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hermaphrodite posted:

I couldn't have picked the hotel itself out like that but as soon as I saw that picture I recognized the park. La Jolla is awesome.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

chrisgt posted:

The issue is that the exhaust pipe is paper thin. It's not long for this world, but I'm going to wait until it breaks in February on a Monday morning so I can be properly loving angry about it.

As one does

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

It survived about 500 miles this weekend, I think it's good.
Funny thing is the exhaust leak I was too lazy to find also went away. Weird that...

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I fixed the catalytic converter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1TPXuRywgM

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I should have just rebuilt my cats the same way.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That exhaust is in incredible shape for an 80's car in the NE.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

OK, you didn't want to go take it for a rip, but you didn't even start and rev it with no exhaust? I'm tremendously disappointed.

For oddball/custom parts like the muffler gasket, I try to find the part number I need online, and then bring that in. Even better, with O'Reilly's, you can add it to your cart to pick up at the store, so they won't even blink an eye. It helps that I've been in my local O'Reilly's often enough that the manager recognizes me. Also, Autozone sucks.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
AutoZone is the worst.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

daslog posted:

AutoZone is the worst.

Pep Boys is the worst. They used to be halfway decent, had a great nut and bolt selection once, even, then they started dedicating floor space to powersports and outdoor equipment, and less to auto-related stuff. And one of their loving water pumps failed and drilled a hole in the timing cover of my girlfriend’s (now wife) 20R in her Celica, killing it by coolant in the oil. Last auto part I ever bought from them.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Darchangel posted:

OK, you didn't want to go take it for a rip, but you didn't even start and rev it with no exhaust? I'm tremendously disappointed.

For oddball/custom parts like the muffler gasket, I try to find the part number I need online, and then bring that in. Even better, with O'Reilly's, you can add it to your cart to pick up at the store, so they won't even blink an eye. It helps that I've been in my local O'Reilly's often enough that the manager recognizes me. Also, Autozone sucks.

I've been coming around on O'Reilly's. An entire mirror fell off my work van a few months ago. The manager saw me outside, I showed him my problem, he walked me around the store grabbing exactly what I needed, gave me the employee discount and even lent me tools. Ten minutes from hitting the parking lot, I was out of there with a fixed truck and a bag of swag.

That kind of service while I'm on the job goes a looong way. Kinda reminded me of chrisgt helping everyone out during rally season :)

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Darchangel posted:

I did when it didn't have a muffler, so same thing just further down. It's ridiculously loud. Two things: one, not gonna rev the balls off a cold shitbox from the 80's, it'll break. Two, then the exhaust would be hot and I'd burn myself trying to put it back together.

All parts stores that don't carry/know how to use catalogues suck. If they can't look up a gasket, flange, muffler, etc by size that's pathetic.
I have found things online by size before on autozone's website and went in for it, that does work.
The only parts stores near me open after 7pm are autozone and advance. Pepboys closes at 7 (or maybe 8, who cares, that store is miserable), and napa closes at 5 or 6. loving bankers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I went into a Pep boys a few days ago and it was depressing. They used to have 500 kinds of steering wheel covers, shift knobs, valve stem caps that look like bullets, etc. Now its all tools and fluids, and only like 3 different shift knobs :(