Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Bones posted:

Okay, from what little it could decipher I guess it lets you have more slightly more than 64 colours on a still image? wow, real big achievement, I bet that would've made the games waaaaay more fun :laffo:

A Link to the Past? Who the gently caress needs it? Check out all the colours on this title screen! There's DOZENS of them! :eyepop:

SNES can show 256 at once out of a total of a couple thousand, but I guess that's almost as good

Yeah but do those extra colors on the snes really make a difference

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Whooping Crabs posted:

Whole lotta people comparing hardware capabilities of the Genesis to the SNES when it should be compared to the NES - (Super Mario Brothers 3 was released after the Genesis came out lol). Genesis/Master System came out 2 whole years before the SNES.

Yeah but by that logic the NES came out six years before the Genesis

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

homeless guy posted:

I have Seaman

Text me

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
This is all you need to know about how popular the Master System was (is?) in Brazil

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

RossMan4Life posted:

Disagree. Generally, SNES was the better version. With regard to Aladdin & Jurassic Park, the SNES got the lesser versions. Aladdin on SNES was an apple collecting game. Genesis version didn't have that goal and was better for it. IIRC, it was a port got both consoles and the Genesis one was better done, even looking (maybe sounding?) better. Flashback was the same kinda deal.

Jurassic Park, well, there are 2 or 3 on each console, but all you need to know is that Genesis had an exclusive version called "Rampage Edition" which let you play as a raptor as well as Grant.

I'm pretty sure Flashback on the SNES is considered the definitive one. What made the Genesis one better?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Klauser posted:

MK on SNES didn't have blood but it did have 2 punch buttons and a block button.

It also had way better graphics and sound. I don't think the Genesis one had any voice acting at all except for "fight" and "fatality".

Nintendo was a really lovely company in the 80s and 90s. Suing Game Genie, going after Nintendo geocities fan sites, poo poo like that. But I kinda do agree with them forcing MK1 to be censored, because it was before video games had ratings. So a 7 year old could go to the store and buy MK1 with no questions asked. When MK2 came out, they allowed blood because it was the first iteration of the ESRB. It didn't really have the ESRB rating system yet but the game said 17+ on it and I remember having to ask a nice man at FuncoLand to buy the game for me because they would not sell it to me. Nintendo didn't want to deal with a bunch of angry parents trying to return violent games (you're not allowed to return opened video games except to exchange for the same title) so it was understandable on their part, as much as I hate censorship. Once the ESRB came into fruition they stopped giving a poo poo. I mean, they are the company that put out Killer Instinct like 3 years later and all.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Someone mentioned the Shadowrun games earlier and while I like them both for different reasons, it struck me as weird that there were two completely unique games set in the same setting with the same name on different systems.

Are there other cases of games like that, where they are 100% different and not just ports of each other? Or even how the Shadowrun games being developed by different companies came about?

Both Shadowrun games made by FASA, which makes it even more strange. And yeah it really is weird how some systems had two completely different games across platforms for the same game. Another example is Aladdin, but at least those two versions were made by two completely different companies.

I'm trying to think of more. This one is a bit weird. Maniac Mansion on the Famicom is completely different than the US NES version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRXNR3pttz0

FWIW I think the SNES Shadowrun is way superior. The music is incredible and I love the atmosphere and isometric/Mario RPG perspective the game had. I always thought it was really lame in the Genesis one you didn't really go into buildings. It just popped up a text box with a guy talking when you walked into a door. It's not a bad game, it's just that I love the SNES one so much. Also a code was discovered for it 20 years after the game came out: https://tcrf.net/Shadowrun_%28SNES%29#Debug_Room

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 19, 2019

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

azurite posted:

Who needs hardware scaling/rotation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwW5y4rrvwk

I've seen this before. The guy who made it said it would be literally impossible to have more than 1 kart on the screen lol

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Then there's the piece of poo poo Xbox 360 game

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ka0 posted:

I got to play Crusader of centy at a friend's a couple of times and I wish I had played more.

I found out my folks did not sell any of my old snes junk, so I still have a complete copy of Hagane and Robotrek. If only I'd been older and with more money on my wallet, I would've swept clean all those closing down video rental stores offloading pre-N64 gems like Crusader of centy, gunstar heroes and rolling thunder. There were heaps of "cheap" NES games complete in their boxes too, I nearly ended up with a copy of mega man 5. That poo poo is crazy expensive today.

lol Hagane complete is worth like $1,200 on eBay. Sell that poo poo

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bradzilla posted:

Perkins restaurants used to have Game Gear for kids to play while waiting for their food. The batteries were always dead by the time my meal came.

The Game Gear costs about a dollar an hour to operate on batteries lol

Also there were a few games that were literally impossible to beat without the wall outlet adapter

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Wait, so it's a portable console without a screen?

So a Sega Master System?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Lmao why would they sell this in stores?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

gary oldmans diary posted:

its like attaching the controller of the sega genesis directly to the console. for the obvious advantages

The advantage of your game freezing by slightly moving the cartridge while playing

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Is that a controller port there on the bottom?

Yeah lol

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I fully admit I bought the Genesis refresh only because it looked great. Still prefered SNES though because 256 colours was brutal even back then.

Also bought the 32X and didn't regret it because I played all the Virtua games then sold it before the hype died.

Then I bought the Saturn... That was super dumb

I got that Kolibri game for my 32x because goons kept recommending it for how beautiful it looks. It does have a nice art style but there's dithering everywhere and it looks like it has the same color color pallette limitation as the Genesis

It actually would look kind of lovely even for an SNES game, forget about 32x

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Angelwolf posted:

I'm not sure what you mean?

I can't believe a console with artwork like that would fail

Jesus Christ they spend how many millions making a game, then millions more manufacturing carts, they couldn't spend $500 on a loving artist?

I'm convinced that grid pattern is what they drew on and just didn't bother to remove it for the box art.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

Lol if you think they spent millions.

I’d love to know what the total cost for either of those were but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was just under 1 million or around there.

I'm not sure how many copies of these games are out there but I'm sure it's over a million and I bet it cost $5-10 per cart to manufacture

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

Weird timing, I just got one of these for my PC:

and was Blast Processing through Sonic Mania tonight. I never got to really play Saturn in the mid-90s for various reasons, and while I emulated a few classics like a filthy pirate in the late 00s I never got to feel the controller. Now I have. And it's..... ok. I see why people love it but it's like not appreciably better than the Genesis controller it was based off of. Still really :krad: to play Sonic with though.

How were you emulating Saturn games a decade ago

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

How are there loving still SEGA hardware add-ons I'm finding out about in 2020?

I'm in the middle of reading old video game magazines and I learned of something new too. Sega was apparently going to have cartridge games for the Saturn (explains why there is a cartridge port even though it was only used for game saves and ram upgrades) and they were actually going to release a console called the Jupiter, that was only the cartridge portion of the Saturn :psyduck:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Were there any redeeming qualities of the Master System? I've only ever played a few random emulated games and holy gently caress were they unplayably bad.

I didn't grow up with a Master System so it's not nostalgia but Wonder Boy in Monster Land is really good, despite being impossible.

Also Alex Kid in Hi Tech World is really good because there's nothing else quite like it on the planet.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Cloner of the Elks posted:

Yeah it had 3D glasses!!! And it could take game cards as well as game cartridges. And it had Mortal Kombat 1, 2 and 3 and other cool games like Sonic Chaos

The fact that this exists blows my goddamn mind

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
All of my Sega CD discs are slowly eroding from bit rot. Note that I have never had any other disc in my entire life succumb to this but eight of my ten Sega CD games did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sentient Data posted:

I just saw this on slashdot, it's nuts how far they can push stock hardware https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e2wBHfVYf8U

Brazilians already did it