Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I posted an opinion about Kairi's gear (which I will repeat here) so now let's talk about ring gear.

Which do you like?

Which do you hate?

Is there entrance ring gear that looks good but then the outer coat comes off and the actual ring gear looks awful? Or vice versa?

What's classic? What's cool? What's butt?

LET'S TALK

Bad Ring Gear:

No Irish Need Imply posted:

Kairi is cool and her gimmick is cool. The only awful thing about her is her stripe ring gear.

The stripe down the middle looks stupid. STUPID!!!

Also that flesh color Rey Mysterio thong from a few SmackDown's ago.

Good Ring Gear:

A CLASSIC

I meeeeaaaannnnn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Black boots, black trunks :colbert:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

trunks should have a hole in it for the penis to hang out of them.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I weirdly hate Becky Lynch's ring attire

She has this whole bad-rear end Austin/Ambrose aesthetic and then comes on out in this decorative ring gear that doesn't fit the aesthetic. Like, "time for match, time to lose the jeans and get on the fishnets"

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I weirdly hate Becky Lynch's ring attire

She has this whole bad-rear end Austin/Ambrose aesthetic and then comes on out in this decorative ring gear that doesn't fit the aesthetic. Like, "time for match, time to lose the jeans and get on the fishnets"

She's Jean Gray and it owns :colbert:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Power Windows posted:

She's Jean Gray and it owns :colbert:

yeah, but part of why Steve Austin's black trunks ruled is that it gave the impression he didnt care what he wore so he just grabbed the most basic thing he could find because they wouldnt let him fight in jeans. Lynch gives off a similar aura which is what makes the whole outfit kind of weird

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I liked Ambrose's rationale that a dude coming down in jeans and a shirt adds to the realism.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Ryback the massive goof did have some amazing ring gear at times.

Always loved the pre show stopper weight belt he wore towards the end.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I always liked how Ryback's tights made him look like the side of a panel van

I mean, it worked for RVD mostly because he probably drove that van

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I love how WWE wrestlers almost always wear gold on their when they're winning a title.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

yeah, but part of why Steve Austin's black trunks ruled is that it gave the impression he didnt care what he wore so he just grabbed the most basic thing he could find because they wouldnt let him fight in jeans. Lynch gives off a similar aura which is what makes the whole outfit kind of weird

I think that there’s not really a basic women’s wrestling gear that is the equivalent to the black trunks. The closest thing is probably the basic trunks + sports bra gear, but I feel like that style of gear is closely associated with MMA so it only works for performers who they want that image for (Ronda, Sonya).

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Wrestling needs more gear designed solely to mock the person's current opponent

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

basically everything Rick Rude wore was amazing

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Oh yeah!

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 days!)

brodus clay had awful gear. dudes that fat need to wear a singlet with legs

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

super macho dude posted:

Black boots, black trunks :colbert:

Call Suzuki we got a young boy who needs a slapping

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CM Punk desperately needed some bigger trunks. And the taped fists was a dumb look too.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Plain white trunks almost always make you look like you're wrestling in a diaper and I can't take you seriously, why do wrestlers still do this

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I always liked how Ryback's tights made him look like the side of a panel van

I mean, it worked for RVD mostly because he probably drove that van

Didn't Ryback get Rob to hook him up with his airbrush guy?

PoO3
Dec 30, 2000
cant bring up great ring gear without mentioning this guy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Davros1 posted:

CM Punk desperately needed some bigger trunks. And the taped fists was a dumb look too.

Taped fists are cool when they were the fingerless-glove-plus-wristwrap full-on deal, like a b-movie kickboxer. That pick he looks like he got lazy and finished halfway through, but somehow the half was the middle and the start AND end are missing.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Pete Dunne's gear is trash even though he, himself, is not.

I am a fan of asymmetry so Ruby Riott has good gear and the old Zack Ryder single leg gear owned too.

Also Matt Hardy's keyblade gear.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Ruby's gear is always really good.

Hiromu Takahashi probably has my favorite overall, though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

best ring gear will always be thigh length trunks

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nothing will ever bet better than Rick Rude's gear.

That said, I'm a big fan of the singlet and tights look Bret Hart rocked throughout his career. It's classic, and it works for guys who don't want to cut down to look shredded.

Worst gear going right now? Rousey. Get that woman something that isn't falling off her while she tries to work.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 16, 2019

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Push El Burrito posted:

I am a fan of asymmetry so Ruby Riott has good gear and the old Zack Ryder single leg gear owned too.
I like it on Ruby but loving HATE it on Zack.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I like the Suzuki/Steve Austin simplicity of black trunks and a "I am here to kick your rear end" mentality

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

No Irish Need Imply posted:

I like it on Ruby but loving HATE it on Zack.

This is fair because Ruby is incredible and Zack is quite edible.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Push El Burrito posted:

This is fair because Ruby is incredible and Zack is quite edible.

snack ryder?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Davros1 posted:

Think that he looked better in the basketball shorts he worn on the indies but that could just be "first thing you see is the look that sticks as definitive".

PoO3 posted:

cant bring up great ring gear without mentioning this guy.

There is no gear that sums up mid 00s North American indy wrestling than that Hero look. Always found it hard accept his later trunks and vest look. Could have improved the garbage bag style trousers but they were very 2005.

Draxion posted:

Ruby's gear is always really good.

Hiromu Takahashi probably has my favorite overall, though.

This is the right answer for me though. There's not very many wrestlers who seem legitimately cool but Hiromu? He's cool.

I'm really into the white gear that Jay White wore at Wrestle Kingdom this year, that was cool, especially as it's not become his regular gear, it's saved for big moments.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Does anyone like Nakamura’s current deep-v jumpsuit gear? I think it’s a big downgrade from his previous gear that was just the pants with a cool jacket for the entrance.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Dacap posted:

Does anyone like Nakamura’s current deep-v jumpsuit gear? I think it’s a big downgrade from his previous gear that was just the pants with a cool jacket for the entrance.

i think it looks fantastic but i also like disco a whole lot

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

uhhhhhh did vince really change their name to the viking experience

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

*Bryan Alvarez yelling 'GEEKS' in the far distance*

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Low Desert Punk posted:

*Bryan Alvarez yelling 'GEEKS' in the far distance*

Specifically from Maui.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
I have to bring up Kazuaki Takeda to this thread. He designs and manufactures ring gear. His website is sparse, but he updates his Instagram more frequently.

Kazuaki is the go-to for Roppongi 3K. You can also see his work on Jay White (his white tights), Marty Scrull, Kenny Omega, and Akira Tozawa.

My current favorite from Kazuaki's portfolio is the Raijin-Fuujin gear he made for Fantastica Mania this year.

Thanks to IG's algorithm, I found out there's an Italian calligrapher and designer named Ali Riccardo that does some beautiful logo work for NJPW. I love calligraphy so it was a no brainer to follow his Instagram, too. You can see Ali's work on Jay White (his black tights), Roppongi 3K, and Chaos.