Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tomn posted:

Remember when Slitherine was arguing that sales were bad because if people picked up the game for cheap they wouldn't invest as much time in it and appreciate it properly, among other silly arguments that Steam and sales were bad?

Not gonna lie, I'm petty enough to enjoy the quiet vindication.

Combat Mission on Steam - now that's the good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

https://store.steampowered.com/app/926580/Broken_Lines/

Broken Lines is currently 85% off if you are looking for a light tactical strategy game with a wego system. I played though it once, it's not amazingly deep but was a fun little run through.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

V for Vegas posted:

Combat Mission on Steam - now that's the good stuff.

I posted about this om the discord but theres an alleged competitor coming to market in the "near" future that is combat mission but with dynamic campaigns AND, allegedly presumably according to their blurb, will include all theaters of the war (yes, Pacific too!)

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I posted about this om the discord but theres an alleged competitor coming to market in the "near" future that is combat mission but with dynamic campaigns AND, allegedly presumably according to their blurb, will include all theaters of the war (yes, Pacific too!)

That sounds sick. I will say i've had a fair bit of enjoyment with fortress italy and expansions but the fact that all the ww2 games aren't mixable is absurd to me.

Xenolalia fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 24, 2024

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Has there been a Combat Mission-alike in the Pacific before? It could be interesting. You’d be fighting the terrain as much as anything, I guess.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Jobbo_Fett posted:

There have been two previous attempts, starting with the old series, to stitch Combat Mission into a campaign and both failed.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Xenolalia posted:

That sounds sick. I will say i've had a fair bit of enjoyment with fortress italy and expansions but the fact that all the ww2 games arn't mixable is absurd to me.

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

There have been two previous attempts, starting with the old series, to stitch Combat Mission into a campaign and both failed.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2361000/Battlefield_Commander_WWII/

quote:

ABOUT THIS GAME
Battlefield Commander WWII is a game that combines strategy and tactics with historically accurate units.
Years and Theaters
Currently, the game contains units from the Soviet Union and Germany spanning the late war period (1944-45). Units from the early war ('39-'41) and mid-war ('42-'43) will also be introduced. Other nations including the US, UK, and Japan will be added in the future as well. The European, African, and Pacific theaters of war will all be included.
Game Modes
The game will be playable as single-player and online PvP skirmish, with three different battle types to choose from:

Battle - Gain victory points by destroying enemy units.
Capture - Gain victory points by controlling strategic areas on the map.
Assault - Attacker attempts to capture the defender's strategic area.

Eventually, a dynamic campaign will be added to the game for all nations.
Gameplay
Experience realistic combat with limited ammo, morale, energy, LOS, and shot accuracy. Infantry can be pinned down, panic, and rout if morale drops too far. Vehicles have accurate armor, movement, and penetration values.

Start each battle with requisition points which you will use strategically throughout the battle to pull in new reinforcements and counter your enemy. Or use them to call in heavy artillery bombardments to deal devastating blows to enemy strong points.
Features
Destructible buildings
Dynamic weather
Seasonal maps
Line-of-sight tool
Currently 86 different units
Realistic vehicle armor and penetration
Realistic infantry behavior
Single player skirmish vs AI
Single player dynamic campaign
Multiplayer PvP skirmish

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

I liked the "campaign-lite" multi-battle scenarios in CMBB. Whatever those were called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Tuna-Fish posted:

I liked the "campaign-lite" multi-battle scenarios in CMBB. Whatever those were called.

That thing worked, kind of, but I was talking about an operational layer that would generate Combat Mission battles depending on the oprational moves, and then return the result to the operational layer. For years it had its own development forum on the Battlefront site.