Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

The Tiller games obey the Windows System (Enhanced) scaling settings, they work fine for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ZombieLenin posted:

Also, Stalin not honoring the partition of Poland. :sludgepal: My brain might pop.

It's because the Poles have offered him Eastern Poland in order to save them from Hitler. The Poles would never have made that offer, but Stalin would have taken it in a heartbeat (if it had been offered before Molotove-Ribbertrop).

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I strongly suspect he would have taken it anyway.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Pharnakes posted:

I strongly suspect he would have taken it anyway.

Correct; and yes, no way the Poles, who had fought hard for Eastern Poland during the Polish-Soviet War would have ever agreed to that.

Of course, good thing Hitler was a complete idiot. Prior to the German invasion of Norway the Britain and France almost went to war with the Soviets in defense of Finland; and in the weeks leading up to Barbarossa Great Britain was busy inking the final changes to what was originally supposed to be a joint British and French air campaign from Persia against Soviet oil production in the Caucasus.

It is difficult indeed to imagine what would have happened had the West actually been goaded into a war with the Soviets, especially prior to American entry into the war.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Are there any games where players take turns giving orders then the turns are executed at the same time?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yep. WEGO games. For example all the Ageod titles, Combat Mission etc.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Gods greatest gift to mankind, WitP.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
All the Dominions games, Solium Infernum, basically that whole genre of games.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

quote:

Admirals,

We would like to share our latest news about the project:

All Standard Edition buyers will get Xsolla access this week. You will receive the email that has the key to the launcher and the download link. The reasons for this is described below.
The development speed has been slowing down from Spring and slowed to a crawl recently due to various unexpected/unforeseen circumstances.
We have to reshuffle the team in order to put the project back on tracks. As a result, the Steam release date has moved from 10th of August to end of Autumn. More developers will join the project as well to speed up the development. This will of course delay us initially but it will pay off in the future.

We will continue using the Xsolla launcher to deliver patches and fixes.

Thank you for your attention,

The Game-Labs Team

=====================
***LATEST UPDATE***

Keys for Xsolla Standard Edition will be ready for sending next week. ETA Wednesday 29/7/2020.

If you've pre-purchased Standard Edition Dreadnaughts they're expecting to send out Xsolla keys tomorrow so you can play immediately rather than have to wait for the delayed Steam release (pretty cool).

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Alchenar posted:

If you've pre-purchased Standard Edition Dreadnaughts they're expecting to send out Xsolla keys tomorrow so you can play immediately rather than have to wait for the delayed Steam release (pretty cool).

No campaign though, right?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

No campaign though, right?

Their plan before was, IIRC, Steam release, then first campaign beta within six months, final campaign six months after that.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah my understanding is 'development got screwed up by COVID so campaign isn't here on time, as compensation everyone can start playing the current pre-access version on the date they were supposed to be able to access the full game'. It's a pretty cool move.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Lately I been playing Warhammer 40k Armageddon, which is pretty much a babby's first wargame, but with this mod that merges together the best of many mods:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=326&t=93626

It all feels a lot deeper especially in terms of combined arms, and there's a lot more content, including scenarios involving factions that ain't in the base game, like Tyranids and Necrons.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Okay Fray isn't doing another Combat Mission LP this year because he's choosing to prioritise being boring so I've decided to try my hand at ringmastering one. I have an idea for a scenario. It'll be CM:Barbarossa to Berlin, get hyped while I build it.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Lately I been playing Warhammer 40k Armageddon, which is pretty much a babby's first wargame, but with this mod that merges together the best of many mods:

It all feels a lot deeper especially in terms of combined arms, and there's a lot more content, including scenarios involving factions that ain't in the base game, like Tyranids and Necrons.

It's a solid game. It's basically Panzer Corps but with Orks and Space marines. I'm pretty sure it uses the same engine and everything.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

V for Vegas posted:

Yep. WEGO games. For example all the Ageod titles, Combat Mission etc.

Flashpoint Campaigns had an interesting take on the WEGO formula as well. Orders for both players are executed at the same time, but the time between each orders phase varies from player to player. So instead of something like Combat Mission where it's always one minute between each orders phase, you might get something like 20 minutes between each orders phase for the NATO player, and then the larger and more unwieldy Soviet force might get 34 minutes or whatever. If one side loses a bunch of HQ units during the battle, then their command structure will get overloaded and then it might get to something like 45 minutes or longer.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
whats a good hex and counter cold war game? asking for a friend

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Wooper posted:

whats a good hex and counter cold war game? asking for a friend

Flashpoint Campaigns is my go to for the hex style.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/330720/Flashpoint_Campaigns_Red_Storm_Players_Edition/

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Flashpoint campaigns is very good.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dreadnoughts trip report - failed the first training mission because my guns weren't big enough and I couldn't kill the stationary Battleship not shooting back in time.

e: won on my tenth attempt because I am bad and did not understand what I was doing. 10/10 would play again

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jul 29, 2020

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I've got a preview video for the upcoming Tactical Troops: Anthracite Shift - a top down tactical combat sci fi game from Siltherine up on my youtube if anyone wants to take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMJwURi10Tg

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Grey Hunter posted:

I've got a preview video for the upcoming Tactical Troops: Anthracite Shift - a top down tactical combat sci fi game from Siltherine up on my youtube if anyone wants to take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMJwURi10Tg

That is one heck of a name.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Mandatory Assembly posted:

That is one heck of a name.

Just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it.....

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Bituminous Battlers was taken, I assume

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Holy moly i could kiss you right now

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Pharnakes posted:

Flashpoint campaigns is very good.

I am going to double down on this. It is, in my opinion, the best Cold War grog game out there.

Now having said that it does have some flaws. For example, NATOs entire strategy to defend Europe relied on NATO being able to have limited air superiority, so while Warsaw Pact troops heavily outnumbered NATO troops on the ground, the opposite is true when it came to both air superiority and support aircraft.

Yet the devs made some pretty questionable assumptions and decided that the Soviets/Warsaw Pact would have limited air superiority.

I actually talked to one of the devs about this once—who was formerly in a armed forces of the GDR, which might explain this a little—and he told me basically, “the Warsaw Pact new this was NATOs strategy, so they would have attacked the airfields first. So this makes sense.”

I responded that, no it didn’t make much sense, but the game is so good it’s a really dumb thing to complain about at the end of the day, so I will give it a pass.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

sum posted:

There's a bug where some of the starts just straight up don't generate any contacts ever. I think only the La Rochelle one works properly. Extremely bizarre.

UBOAT has so much promise and instead it's like 80% doing Simon Says of having to remember to turn on the loving electric compressor and get the radioman off of the hydrophone after resurfacing. Also your crew still panics if you spend more than 15 minutes submerged. It very very badly needs a quality of life update

The slots for more crewmen are fairly cheap. I have 3 radiomen, 3 engineers and 4 leaders, running 2/2/3 on duty at any time; first thing I did.

Hitting ‘tab’ for orders removes the hunt for most things except the lights. Panicking crew is how you figure out who’s worth keeping or ditching, tho.

Someone mentioned ‘blue light’ under periscope depth; that does put everyone in their bunks to conserve air, it might not be what you want.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

I beat aurora within a day of playing it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Infidelicious posted:

I beat aurora within a day of playing it.

You have 54 survey locations to go.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Case White conculdes with Polish Minor Victory.

:poland::poland::poland::poland::poland::poland::poland::poland::poland::poland::poland:

The Full Campaign in huge gif format:

Full resolution dropbox link

Final Turn Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxxhWlSFtp0
All the turn vids are on youtube in a playlist and you can go to the discord to read through the game as it played out.

The game says its a solid German defeat but we had a gentlemans agreement that German losses could be 17% instead of 10 because of the boosts Poland got (BEF and free setup mainly helps the Polish).

25th September Situation:

And a closer view of the Polish positions.

https://imgur.com/a/te3gnr0 - all the game summary screenshots.

Casualties by army:

What went wrong for the Germans?

Now this is all my opinion but the German loss was mostly down to two things. Firstly I think a couple of the players were a bit inexperienced with what is possible in the Decisive Campaigns games and after a couple of bloody noses handed out early on by the Polish northern forces they because over-cautious. They also didn't seem keen to brute force Polish troops out of entrenched positions which is completely possible with superior German infantry but requires some care.

Secondly they didnt pay enough attention to logistics and covering their flanks. More than once german armored thrusts were stalled by Polish cavalry cutting their supply lines forcing them to stop and clear them long enough for the Polish forces to scramble to the next defensive line. This was most apparent with 10th army's dash for Warsaw, initially I thought we were screwed as the whole Polish reserve was badly out of position but no flank cover from 10th army meant that we were able to cut their lines twice and they stalled just outside Warsaw.

Pictured: The morning of 11th September when the German 10th army blasted through our lines and headed for Warsaw. I thought we were totally boned.

Overall a good game and thanks to everyone for participating, stay tuned for Case Yellow!

Saros fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 2, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I actually think the move East on the 11th was the big mistake, and that 10th should have continued north along the western Bank of the river.

E: since that's a bit harsh, not the only mistake, and I don't think there was time to win anyway

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 2, 2020

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Saros posted:

Overall a good game and thanks to everyone for participating, stay tuned for Case Yellow!
I've had fun following it, keep making videos!

Will the results of the Polish campaign carry over in any way?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
No, since if at any point the Germans loose, that's it, campaign over.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

So anyone else in the ICBM Beta, fancy some MP?

Saros fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 4, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Learnings from the Case White game:

The British variant dumps a bunch of divisions in Gdansk. They're not enough to really go outside and launch offensives all on their own, but it does mean that Gdansk is going to be very difficult to take unless the Germans commit forces specifically towards doing so.

According to the scenario victory conditions, you can win either by taking all other VP cities except Warsaw, or taking Warsaw.

So, if the British variant is activated, then the Germans basically need to decide from Turn Zero which of those two they're going to pursue.

If it's the latter, then 3rd and 4th only need to commit enough troops to defend against a breakout, which seems like they could muck up supply lines if the Brits ever get to roam around freely, but then everything else can be poured into the effort to taking Warsaw.

If it's the former, then 3rd and 4th Army needs to commit enough troops to guarantee crushing Gdansk. Of course, since "take all other cities except Warsaw" also requires conquering the rest of Poland, then it's difficult, if not impossible, to split up your forces in a way that would work, since the troop concentration/force layout that would enable the Germans to take rest of Poland minus Gdansk and Warsaw is going to look a lot like what they'd need to go all-in on Warsaw anyway.

I didn't learn nor realize this soon enough, and 4th Army was all the weaker for it.

___

The other big thing I missed was misunderstanding how supply worked, to the extent that 4th Army's Panzers ran out of fuel in the critical final 3-4 turns.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i don't think it's possible to fully comprehend the Decisive Campaigns supply system. there's always One More Quirk that'll destroy you

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

gradenko_2000 posted:

Learnings from the Case White game:

The British variant dumps a bunch of divisions in Gdansk. They're not enough to really go outside and launch offensives all on their own, but it does mean that Gdansk is going to be very difficult to take unless the Germans commit forces specifically towards doing so.

According to the scenario victory conditions, you can win either by taking all other VP cities except Warsaw, or taking Warsaw.

So, if the British variant is activated, then the Germans basically need to decide from Turn Zero which of those two they're going to pursue.

If it's the latter, then 3rd and 4th only need to commit enough troops to defend against a breakout, which seems like they could muck up supply lines if the Brits ever get to roam around freely, but then everything else can be poured into the effort to taking Warsaw.

If it's the former, then 3rd and 4th Army needs to commit enough troops to guarantee crushing Gdansk. Of course, since "take all other cities except Warsaw" also requires conquering the rest of Poland, then it's difficult, if not impossible, to split up your forces in a way that would work, since the troop concentration/force layout that would enable the Germans to take rest of Poland minus Gdansk and Warsaw is going to look a lot like what they'd need to go all-in on Warsaw anyway.

I didn't learn nor realize this soon enough, and 4th Army was all the weaker for it.

___

The other big thing I missed was misunderstanding how supply worked, to the extent that 4th Army's Panzers ran out of fuel in the critical final 3-4 turns.

I mean, since this game also had the “Soviets Ignore Agreement” variant, it seems like the only viable choice really is to go for Warsaw.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Huh.

I just got an email from Slitherine that Combat Mission: Shock Force 2 is coming to steam.

WTF is going on there, did I miss something big? (also, yes, I would like a key, seeing as Battlefront stole the original off me!)

I also got a Grand Tactitican key, so a series on that is coming soon!

Why is it these companies all seem to email things out at the same time?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Has Slitherine been publisher for CM stuff before? I always thought Battlefront did their own thing.

Also did the Battlefront manager dude get struck by lightning or something?

Steam store page is live as of like 8 minutes ago apparently: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1369370/Combat_Mission_Shock_Force_2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Drone posted:

Has Slitherine been publisher for CM stuff before? I always thought Battlefront did their own thing.

Also did the Battlefront manager dude get struck by lightning or something?

Steam store page is live as of like 8 minutes ago apparently: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1369370/Combat_Mission_Shock_Force_2/

Nope, Battlefront has always run out of its own web 2.0 store.

Yeah, I'm weirded out. I had to check the date to make sure we'd not time warped back to the start of april.....

here's the press release.

quote:

Combat Mission Shock Force 2
arrives on Steam on August 25th

Battlefront and Slitherine join forces to deliver the world’s most accurate 3D modern war simulator to Steam and the Matrix Games store

Epsom, 4th August. Slitherine is proud to announce that they’ve partnered with Battlefront to bring Combat Mission Shock Force 2 to third-party digital stores. The game, along with all its DLCs, will be available from August 25th on Matrix Games, Steam and other digital stores.

“We are genuinely proud and excited to bring Combat Mission Shock Force 2 to a brand-new audience,” says Marco A. Minoli, Marketing Director at Slitherine. “Battlefront’s unrivalled modern era 3D wargame will now be available to a much broader player base. Our community at Matrix Games forms the backbone of online wargaming. Marketing and distributing a modern classic like Combat Mission is a sign of how relevant our presence in the market has become.”

What is Combat Mission Shock Force 2? Shock Force 2 allows players to take command of a NATO force in a hypothetical modern-day Syrian conflict. The game’s 3D graphics engine takes advantage of Battlefront’s vast experience in 3D wargames, giving an unprecedented level of realism and detail – so much that the game is used in several professional military environments for training and analysis purposes. Players can assign orders to their units, either in real time or with the innovative turn-based WeGo system. Shock Force 2 focuses on tactical platoon-level action, and features both a single-player campaign and multiplayer (Hotseat or PBEM).

“For 20 years Battlefront has created the most accurate and engaging 3D wargames available to the public. For the last few years we’ve been working with Slitherine on bringing that professionalism to military customers. The time spent together allowed us to discover how much we complement each other and how in-synch we are philosophically. Broadening our partnership was a no-brainer and we very much look forward to our journey ahead.” – Stephen Grammont, Co-Founder of Battlefront and Combat Mission.

All Combat Mission Shock Force 2 DLCs will also be available on August 25th: Marines, British Forces and NATO (including German, Canadian and Dutch forces).

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 4, 2020