Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Task Force Admiral is one of those games that I worry looks so good it can never live up to the hype.

https://twitter.com/DrydockDreams/status/1312378116094992384

https://twitter.com/DrydockDreams/status/1311666094877282304

https://twitter.com/DrydockDreams/status/1306577158408531969

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It's one where I worry about, where's the actual game? It seems like a really cool simulation, but how much are we going to interface with?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Anyone want a 50% off coupon for Matrix Games or Slitherine's site? I got a sixteen year membership code in the email and I don't really play super groggy stuff at the moment.

50P-4467-4857-6995-12_3

The second to last number is purposely omitted. Don't try dividing by it or bad things happen.

Feel free to take this but please post that you snagged it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hekk posted:

Anyone want a 50% off coupon for Matrix Games or Slitherine's site? I got a sixteen year membership code in the email and I don't really play super groggy stuff at the moment.

50P-4467-4857-6995-12_3

The second to last number is purposely omitted. Don't try dividing by it or bad things happen.

Feel free to take this but please post that you snagged it.

Thank you, used this to buy the best game on Slitherine's site; Shadow Empire.

teokarp
Feb 18, 2020

Yooper posted:

Beyond Aurora, can anyone recommend a groggy scifi game?

Groggy'n'sci: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1412980/Ironseed_25th_Anniversary_Edition/

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

That looks interesting, thanks!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Decisive Battles: Case Blue - Operation Uranus update, for turns 7, 8, and 9:

The 6th Armee kessel was completely liquidated midway through turn 8.

I've only made two hexes of progress towards Rostov in three turns because these were all mud turns and my lead mobile units are hitting the limits of their Readiness recovery.

I've got a nice pocket about to form around Millerovo, and that center section of the front near Belovodsk has nothing in front of it. If they pull more Italians and Germans from the line to the north of it, that just weakens that part enough that I can then start making a push against single regiments.

The four Armies that recaptured Stalingrad and destroyed 6th Armee are still in the process of reorganizing themselves and moving towards the front.

Also, if you look at the Voronezh area in the northern edge, you can see two Panzer regiments that were cut-off in turn 7, surrounded in turn 8, and destroyed by turn 9.

Are people finding this interesting? I don't want to take over the thread and turn it into an LP so I'm keeping it short and summarized, but if that's too much then I can cut it out.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Are people finding this interesting? I don't want to take over the thread and turn it into an LP so I'm keeping it short and summarized, but if that's too much then I can cut it out.

It's been interesting up to this point, but the rest of the game is going to consist of a pretty unexciting flow of the red tide westwards.

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008

pedro0930 posted:

What's the name of the game posted a couple months ago that's like a grogy WWII naval task force command simulator? This one?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1281220/Task_Force_Admiral__Vol1_American_Carrier_Battles/

Theirs Task Force Admiral coming out but also War on the Sea https://store.steampowered.com/app/1280780/War_on_the_Sea/ which looks very similar and is from the makers of Cold Waters (or at least those who didn't split off to make Sea Power)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tracking both games but worried that the developers are falling into the trap of having more fun making it than players will have playing it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I still don't understand the Microprose/Killerfish Games merger/split. Cold Waters is fantastic and I'm really excited for Sea Power, but is it being produced by the same people who did Cold Waters? War on the Sea is listed as by Killerfish Games but did is it the same people working as Triassic Games?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Popete posted:

I still don't understand the Microprose/Killerfish Games merger/split. Cold Waters is fantastic and I'm really excited for Sea Power, but is it being produced by the same people who did Cold Waters? War on the Sea is listed as by Killerfish Games but did is it the same people working as Triassic Games?

IIRC neither of them have made a official statement but it sounds like what happened is that some of the people at Killerfish had "creative differences" over continuing with what they'd developed for Cold Waters or making another WW2 game, and as a result the people behind Cold Waters split off and made their own company.

MicroProse is back because a CEO for a company that makes military training software (former Bohemia Interactive dev angling for a slice of their VBS pie) bought the name and assets from the paintball gun company that had bought MicroProse.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

ICBM is free for a week or so during the steam games festival so if you want to try it go find it on Steam.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Got to play some ICBM. My impression improves the more I played. First few games, there's many tech and pitfall that you'll just learn to deal with after a few games, such as ship literally not have any AA weapon unless you research it. Also the control is sometimes annoying, such as the fact that there's no group select so you have to use the strike planner, but oftentimes you'll only partially clear the enemy ABS so you want to strike specific target...etc. Some regions are also at pretty high risk of being wiped out and locked down, which sucks for that player.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
new Aurora C# 1.12 version out!

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11944

itshappening.gif

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Last time I played, the Sol system had no resources anywhere but earth. Is that fixed

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Phi230 posted:

Last time I played, the Sol system had no resources anywhere but earth. Is that fixed

When was that? I don't remember that ever happening to me. Regardless, yes minerals can show up in other Sol bodies.

Also if you don't like the mineral amounts you can use SM mode to rerun the mineral generation in the system or simply set them explicitly.

Neophyte fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 11, 2020

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Neophyte posted:

new Aurora C# 1.12 version out!

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11944

itshappening.gif

So many great bug fixes. My poor LP, decision time.

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.
Any changes to active scan ranges in Aurora C# 1.12? I bounced hard off the C# version when I found out that I could get scan range close to the old version only with active sensors that weighed several thousand tonnes.

Zeond fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 12, 2020

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Zeond posted:

Any changes to active scan ranges in Aurora C# 1.12? I bounced hard off the C# version when I found out that I could get scan range close to the old version only with active sensors that weighed several thousand tonnes.

No. That thing you don't like is 200% intentional.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
I have been trying to give this copy of Armored Bigade I purchased drunk in a steam sale more love. I am having a lot of trouble finding any guide content.

Does anyone ever bother with company sized elements? I can’t for the life of me get these things to move it. They are constantly fiddling with their formations.

This is exacerbated by not being able to associate a formation with a waypoint.

However I suppose that is what the optional waypoint is for?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

VendoViper posted:

I have been trying to give this copy of Armored Bigade I purchased drunk in a steam sale more love. I am having a lot of trouble finding any guide content.

Does anyone ever bother with company sized elements? I can’t for the life of me get these things to move it. They are constantly fiddling with their formations.

This is exacerbated by not being able to associate a formation with a waypoint.

However I suppose that is what the optional waypoint is for?

Have you read the Field Manual?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1906578417

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.

Ceebees posted:

No. That thing you don't like is 200% intentional.

Thanks for the answer. My design philosophy in old Aurora was very biased in favour of ultra long range missile strikes with minimal tought given to beam weapons and armour. This is now far less viable in C# thanks to the sensor nerf.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Zeond posted:

Thanks for the answer. My design philosophy in old Aurora was very biased in favour of ultra long range missile strikes with minimal tought given to beam weapons and armour. This is now far less viable in C# thanks to the sensor nerf.

It's just as viable as a strategy. Either you are longer ranged or you aren't; you still have a big absolute advantage with an emphasis on big scans. What's less viable is overcoming a big tech gap or mismatched resolution with Max size sensors. So you may want to carry a pair of specialized sensors over one big un.

The NPR AI is also better than it was, both at playing and at ship design. So you need to be more judicious about engagements - this applies to every approach, not just extreme range kiting.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 13, 2020

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
CMO tripple wopper:

Official v1.02 update: https://www.warfaresims.com/?p=5118

Command-LIVE: Sahel Slugfest released: https://www.matrixgames.com/game/command-mo-live-sahel-slugfest

Community Scenario Pack updated, with 28 new scenarios: https://www.warfaresims.com/?p=5122

Dimitris fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 18, 2020

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I'm playing Combat Mission for the first time in forever (SF2 specifically) and I'm having a lot of fun but I didn't realize suppressing elements won't automatically shift fire to avoid blowing up friendlies. RIP to the brave pixeltroops of Sn 3/A Hochgebirgs Plat., 1. Companie, 1 Bttn. Your pixelfunerals will not be pixelopen-casket.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Looks like someone published a strategy guide for Children of a Dead Earth.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Kangra posted:

Looks like someone published a strategy guide for Children of a Dead Earth.

I like the ∆V pride flag.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
For anyone interested, a second tour of FNG is up here

Come see how well you would have done in country. join a platoon of hapless grunts and take on charlie!

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Started a new LP of Aurora with the latest C# version, check it out here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3943978&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

gently caress yeah

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Love having to update C++ libraries at random to figure out which one wite uses so it'll stop crashing constantly.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

im starting to think someone needs to force the aurora4x guy to make quality of life improvements at gun point. Like why isn't automated damage control on by default

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So I finally got into Aurora after bouncing off of it several times. I disabled Random NPRs and have only one static NPR so I can learn the game in peace. I'm taking it slow and learning one part of the game at a time and adding complexity as I go. That being said I have questions.

Is there a point to having lots of colonies? It seems like the game is set up to have one planet that does all the construction and research and the rest are mining/financial center colonies.

Can I get by without missiles? I'm keeping it simple with just lasers for now. My warships have both anti-ship and PD lasers.

How do I make asteroid mining work? With the module I mean. It seems really inefficient. I'd like to use the "Move to asteroid mineral source" have it mine then move to the next asteroid when its finished.

How do I make tankers work? I have a fuel harvesting base and a tanker that it set to move to the fuel harvester then "Refuel from stationary tankers". It has a standing order to return fuel to colony when full and is on cycle moves. But it will do it once then delete the movement orders.

How many shipyards do you generally have? I hate wasting resources on retooling, but I fear I'd end up with too many shipyards.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

You will eventually run into population issues with workers. Earth can hold a huge chunk but there's an upper limit on shipyards because of the worker requirements and it balloons quite fast. You will absolutely want more colonies to power labs and shipyards. Build financial centres.

Mining ships aren't worth the effort but the tech does unlock civilian variants that add to the economy. Sorium miners are cool and good and can be vital to supply deep fleets.

For shipyards you want a few core variants, this can take a long time to figure out because ship design is obtuse to the extreme. It can be beneficial to tow shipyards to smaller colonies to produce local short range patrol craft it you're into that.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Demiurge4 posted:

You will eventually run into population issues with workers. Earth can hold a huge chunk but there's an upper limit on shipyards because of the worker requirements and it balloons quite fast. You will absolutely want more colonies to power labs and shipyards. Build financial centres.

Mining ships aren't worth the effort but the tech does unlock civilian variants that add to the economy. Sorium miners are cool and good and can be vital to supply deep fleets.

For shipyards you want a few core variants, this can take a long time to figure out because ship design is obtuse to the extreme. It can be beneficial to tow shipyards to smaller colonies to produce local short range patrol craft it you're into that.

Oh no. That means I have to balance mineral collection to multiple colonies. Making sure they all have enough. Oh no...

Oh well. That's Aurora I guess. Thanks for the help.

Travic fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 26, 2020

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
When you say “one colony that does all the construction and research” do you mean in total or per system?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Travic posted:

So I finally got into Aurora after bouncing off of it several times. I disabled Random NPRs and have only one static NPR so I can learn the game in peace. I'm taking it slow and learning one part of the game at a time and adding complexity as I go. That being said I have questions.

Is there a point to having lots of colonies? It seems like the game is set up to have one planet that does all the construction and research and the rest are mining/financial center colonies.

Can I get by without missiles? I'm keeping it simple with just lasers for now. My warships have both anti-ship and PD lasers.

How do I make asteroid mining work? With the module I mean. It seems really inefficient. I'd like to use the "Move to asteroid mineral source" have it mine then move to the next asteroid when its finished.

How do I make tankers work? I have a fuel harvesting base and a tanker that it set to move to the fuel harvester then "Refuel from stationary tankers". It has a standing order to return fuel to colony when full and is on cycle moves. But it will do it once then delete the movement orders.

How many shipyards do you generally have? I hate wasting resources on retooling, but I fear I'd end up with too many shipyards.

The short version on colonies is no. The primary reason to expand is obtaining more sources of minerals. You can get some mileage out of xenoarchaeology colonies, which is nice. 'Anomalies' are a very rare spawn that will show up occasionally, they provide a free bonus to a specific research field on a planet and can be pretty lucrative. However they arn't necessary since from an optimal perspective its probably just as easy to build more research labs.

Population is what theoretically drives you to expand on colonies, but its very easy to get more population than you can use. Terraforming worlds is simple and easy, and Mars/Luna don't even need it from all the free civilian infrastructure you can get from Earth. What's going on behind the scenes here is that there's a soft cap on population gain on planets that ticks down population growth with population. Its calibrated for realistic carrying capacities, though, and Aurora's default empire spawn is 500 million; having multiple billions on earth gives you ridiculously more industry and research than you can even do anything with.

You *can* get by without missiles, but I wouldn't recommend it. You are likely to run one or both of these situations sooner or later: Missile ships that blow their load and just leave, or even a single enemy beam warship with a slightly higher tech level and speed that hovers just outside your range and blows up your entire fleet without you being able to do anything about it.

Or the always popular Option C, which is "Oh god, oh god, their whole fleet is box launchers, the PD doesn't work".

It sounds like your tanker is triggering a conditional order which wipes its orders. For shuttling between one point and another point, I'd advise just manually cycling it and not using conditional orders on your tanker.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Pirate Radar posted:

When you say “one colony that does all the construction and research” do you mean in total or per system?

I meant in total. Since there didn't seem to be a point in having half the shipyards on twice the planets with half the minerals. Aside from adding more micromanagement. Same for research labs. Why have half the labs on two planets and then have to worry about having all the right researchers and keep switching back and forth between two planets?

Just seemed easier to "Build 6 ships and research 4 things on Earth" instead of "Build 3 ships and research 2 things on Earth" then "Build 3 ships and research 2 things on <colony>". Since everything can be done in parallel.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The short version on colonies is no. The primary reason to expand is obtaining more sources of minerals. You can get some mileage out of xenoarchaeology colonies, which is nice. 'Anomalies' are a very rare spawn that will show up occasionally, they provide a free bonus to a specific research field on a planet and can be pretty lucrative. However they arn't necessary since from an optimal perspective its probably just as easy to build more research labs.

Population is what theoretically drives you to expand on colonies, but its very easy to get more population than you can use. Terraforming worlds is simple and easy, and Mars/Luna don't even need it from all the free civilian infrastructure you can get from Earth. What's going on behind the scenes here is that there's a soft cap on population gain on planets that ticks down population growth with population. Its calibrated for realistic carrying capacities, though, and Aurora's default empire spawn is 500 million; having multiple billions on earth gives you ridiculously more industry and research than you can even do anything with.

You *can* get by without missiles, but I wouldn't recommend it. You are likely to run one or both of these situations sooner or later: Missile ships that blow their load and just leave, or even a single enemy beam warship with a slightly higher tech level and speed that hovers just outside your range and blows up your entire fleet without you being able to do anything about it.

Or the always popular Option C, which is "Oh god, oh god, their whole fleet is box launchers, the PD doesn't work".

It sounds like your tanker is triggering a conditional order which wipes its orders. For shuttling between one point and another point, I'd advise just manually cycling it and not using conditional orders on your tanker.

Well drat. Maybe I'm not cut out for Aurora then. The added complexity of designing, building, and shipping missiles might be too much for me. :(. PD doesn't work on box launchers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009

Travic posted:

PD doesn't work on box launchers?

It does work. I think what TheDeadlyShoe meant was that, if their whole fleet was box launchers, they could launch such a huge alpha strike that it would overwhelm normal amounts of PD.