Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES
AND BURN THROUGH THE WITCHES

Thank you for the help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Obfuscation posted:

You can use them until the last day but you can't withdraw ships unless it's they are in one of these places: (copied from Matrix forums, should be accurate but I haven't tested)

1. Any level 9 port.

2. National home ports of the United States, Canada, India, Australia, and New Zealand (with no port level requirement) [I'm guessing that this includes all the off-map bases]

3. Any level 7 or larger port on the US or Canadian West Coast.

4. Any level 7 or larger Indian port East of Ceylon (including Ceylon itself)

5. Any level 7 or larger port in South Eastern Australia, plus Perth.

6. Any level 7 or larger port in New Zealand.

After all the time I've put into this game, I had no idea of any of this.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

I may be mistaken but I believe there is an auto-withdraw option right? Maybe it's a mod but a youtube tutorial mentioned it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

You also cannot withdraw if they are damaged beyond a certain % so be careful running ships into the ground assuming it'll be Eisenhower's problem.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

The solution to that one is just to scuttle them

"Sir, Dudley Pound is one the phone again demanding we release Warspite"

"Ohh gently caress it, just tow her out to sea and put three torpedoes in her, that'll shut him up"

No. 1 Juicy Boi
Jun 1, 2003

#1 JUICY BOY

Buglord

Oh wow, RIP John Tiller

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

All great movements are popular movements. They are the volcanic eruptions of human passions and emotions, stirred into activity by the ruthless Goddess of Distress or by the torch of the spoken word cast into the midst of the people.

-Vladimir Lenin

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Oh wow, RIP John Tiller

Huh? Did he die? For real?

VostokProgram
Feb 20, 2014

Are there any good tutorials for war in the pacific

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

VostokProgram posted:

Are there any good tutorials for war in the pacific

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMWDuJLXjXQ

This is the tutorial series I use, it's excellent. The dude should be a teacher honestly.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

This avatar should not be read as endorsing any violence against women, only the destruction of the United States of America.

ZombieLenin posted:

Yeah apparently. Bummer.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Oh wow, RIP John Tiller

drat. West Front and Rising Sun from the ol' Talonsoft campaign series were probably the first serious grog/strategy games I played when I was a kid.

No. 1 Juicy Boi
Jun 1, 2003

#1 JUICY BOY

Buglord

ZombieLenin posted:

Yep someone on facebook linked his obituary, short rapid battle with brain cancer apparently

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

All great movements are popular movements. They are the volcanic eruptions of human passions and emotions, stirred into activity by the ruthless Goddess of Distress or by the torch of the spoken word cast into the midst of the people.

-Vladimir Lenin

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Yep someone on facebook linked his obituary, short rapid battle with brain cancer apparently

Yeah, I found this article.

I guess not even accomplished grog developers can outflank dying.

VostokProgram
Feb 20, 2014

Kvlt! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMWDuJLXjXQ

This is the tutorial series I use, it's excellent. The dude should be a teacher honestly.

Oh I like that guy, I've been watching his series on warplan.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

This avatar should not be read as endorsing any violence against women, only the destruction of the United States of America.

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

more of a shock attack than a deliberate attack

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Oh wow, RIP John Tiller

oh my god

RIP to a real one

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

oh my god

RIP to a real one

You should do another LP in his honor if you have the time.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

It would be a sad error in judgement to mistake me for a corpse.

Clapping Larry

ZombieLenin posted:

https://technocodex.com/wargaming-titan-john-tiller-has-died/

B-1.1.7 Bomber
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

RIP, Johnny-T. What a nice set of games you left us with!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

I know its not grog but I snagged Steel Division II for 13 bucks on a Steam sale, I thought other people itt might be interested.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

I know its not grog but I snagged Steel Division II for 13 bucks on a Steam sale, I thought other people itt might be interested.

It's on sale with a big new DLC, campaign coop mode, and new 10v10 map.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

This is why we have orders, general.

pedro0930 posted:

It's on sale with a big new DLC, campaign coop mode, and new 10v10 map.

The patch comes with some very significant mechanical changes as well.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Oh wow, RIP John Tiller

Just read about this in a Matrix Games spam, what a way to learn about someone's demise. I can't claim I played his games much but I did own Western Front and had some good time with it until I got tired of the multi phase system. Steel Panthers was much easier to dive into. Someone should do a LP of every game that Tiller ever made.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

Just read about this in a Matrix Games spam, what a way to learn about someone's demise. I can't claim I played his games much but I did own Western Front and had some good time with it until I got tired of the multi phase system. Steel Panthers was much easier to dive into. Someone should do a LP of every game that Tiller ever made.

drat, me too. I just saw the newsletter from Matrix. I hope his family is doing as well as can be.

pointsofdata
Apr 25, 2011

The SS units in WiTE2 feel insanely robust. I got to Riga before the one sitting on Novgorod would surrender, and they can hold off multiple corps attacking a division in open terrain. Fortunately you can just go around them normally but it does seem like a huge delta between them and normal German units.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

pointsofdata posted:

The SS units in WiTE2 feel insanely robust. I got to Riga before the one sitting on Novgorod would surrender, and they can hold off multiple corps attacking a division in open terrain. Fortunately you can just go around them normally but it does seem like a huge delta between them and normal German units.

that good ol' 'SS as the elite of the elite' myth again, gotta love that implicit nazi fetishism

V for Vegas
Aug 31, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Nenonen posted:

That's like 100 games. Grey get on this!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

oscarthewilde posted:

that good ol' 'SS as the elite of the elite' myth again, gotta love that implicit nazi fetishism

While their skill is questionable, weren't they typically better supplied as a motorised element due to being the SS? Playing Graviteam certainly made it clear to me that they're a pain in the rear end to fight.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

That just means you can bypass and encircle them, starve them out, and not even accept their surrender

pointsofdata
Apr 25, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

While their skill is questionable, weren't they typically better supplied as a motorised element due to being the SS? Playing Graviteam certainly made it clear to me that they're a pain in the rear end to fight.

I don't know how much is fixed stat boosts, how much is OOB differences, and how much is the AI giving them higher supply priority in this case. I'm sure it's somewhere in the rather long manual though!

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

that was very much dependent on the individual division. some SS divisions were indeed better supplied and equipped and were, to a certain extent indeed 'elite' divisions, but some were no more than a bunch of barely trained and badly equipped conscripts/volunteers. that important nuance is often lost

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

oscarthewilde posted:

that was very much dependent on the individual division. some SS divisions were indeed better supplied and equipped and were, to a certain extent indeed 'elite' divisions, but some were no more than a bunch of barely trained and badly equipped conscripts/volunteers. that important nuance is often lost

IIRC WitE and its successor both model this, and there's a world of difference in-game between the big "flagship" Waffen SS units and the crappy foreign legion-esque units and assorted dregs. The former tend to be pretty nasty because they have seriously beefy ToEs (IIRC they drat near rival a soviet Rifle Corps in size, and outmatch it in firepower) and tend to remain at high strength even late in the war. While the latter tend to be pushovers more often than not pretty much for the whole thing.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Mods please delete this if it's not allowed, but does anyone have a link to the PDF file of WitP manual? I bought the game and have been playing it but for some reason on the Slitherine/Matrix website it says I don't own it it so I can't download the manual, and I'm not gonna pay ANOTHER $80 just to have the manual.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Kvlt! posted:

Mods please delete this if it's not allowed, but does anyone have a link to the PDF file of WitP manual? I bought the game and have been playing it but for some reason on the Slitherine/Matrix website it says I don't own it it so I can't download the manual, and I'm not gonna pay ANOTHER $80 just to have the manual.

Why don't you recover your account, that you obviously managed to lose?

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

Shoot me an email. cdouglasn at the Google mails

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

Why don't you recover your account, that you obviously managed to lose?

I can log in just fine, it just doesn't show me owning War in the Pacific. I didn't pirate it, I have the $80 charge on my credit card, the website just doesn't show me as owning it for some reasons so won't let me download the manual.

Gewehr 43 posted:

Shoot me an email. cdouglasn at the Google mails

Sending one over, thank you so much!

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Sent.

In retrospect, I believe all of the manuals available in the game's install directory\manuals folder.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Gewehr 43 posted:

Sent.

In retrospect, I believe all of the manuals available in the game's install directory\manuals folder.

You are correct, I checked there and found I already had it. Regardless, I appreciate it, thank you!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Gewehr 43 posted:

Sent.

This. The devs are proud of their manuals, they usually package like 2-4 different versions into the installer in case you wanted to print it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

uPen posted:

This. The devs are proud of their manuals, they usually package like 2-4 different versions into the installer in case you wanted to print it out.

that's literally what i'm doing tomorrow, printing out WitP and Shadow Empire and putting them in binders