Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VostokProgram
Feb 20, 2014

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

is the plural of combat mission, combats mission? Too bad there isn't more than one of 'em on steam so we'll never find out!

j/k, but seriously, wtf with this release?

I think it would be combat missions? The word combat doesn't get pluralized like that right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

How long do I have to wait for Combat Mission Cold War on Steam?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Minenfeld! posted:

How long do I have to wait for Combat Mission Cold War on Steam?

June.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Saros posted:

You're doing it backwards, lex should be following the surface task force. Lex's orders look fine so it must be something in the tf following it that's fouling up.

Check the previous day, it's quite possible they refueled the DD's and didn't have enough ops to move. We need the tf screen for both tf's on the 8th.

Pharnakes posted:

Also generally speaking you should be using patrol, not remain on station. RoS will result in them doing just that, pretty much no matter what, patrol will let them adapt to the situation and retreat if needed.

And like Saros said carriers should follow surface forces as a rule, no the other way around. One downside to following a surface force though is the carriers will stick with them , since it is assumed they are providing air cover. This means the carriers will not react towards or away from enemy carriers to get optimal strike range as they otherwise might.

Gewehr 43 posted:

I've also just straight up had buggy behavior with the "follow tf" command. The previous guys are spot on, though.

Thanks! I'll change my approach in terms of which TF follows and using patrol for more than just subs.

Here's the TFs on the 8th and the 9th. Refueling the DDs seems plausible but it doesn't look like that was what happened. So maybe just bugged?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES
AND BURN THROUGH THE WITCHES

Damnit I caved and bought Warplan Pacific. I knew it was gonna happen too, they could slap the word "Pacific" on any grog game and I'll buy it. I never played the first Warplan so I'm hoping this one is fun.

V for Vegas
Aug 31, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I played a bit of WarPlan Pacific, and it made me want to go back to WitP. So I fired that up and remembered I'm about 5 hours into my first Japan turn. So now I'm just playing Valhalla.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Does anyone know if us ppl who bought it will get a Steam code if/when it comes to Steam?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Does anyone know if us ppl who bought it will get a Steam code if/when it comes to Steam?

It's highly likely that you will, assuming it works like other Matrix/Slitherine games. They seem to mostly be trying to maximize their profits from hardcore fans before submitting to steam's cut. Your Matrix/Slitherine account will probably get a steam key when they launch on steam.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

V for Vegas posted:

I played a bit of WarPlan Pacific, and it made me want to go back to WitP. So I fired that up and remembered I'm about 5 hours into my first Japan turn. So now I'm just playing Valhalla.

I just got back into WitP again. Playing Allies vs Japan for now, but does anyone have a decent primer on the Japanese economy and logistics? Itís an entirely different monster.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

All great movements are popular movements. They are the volcanic eruptions of human passions and emotions, stirred into activity by the ruthless Goddess of Distress or by the torch of the spoken word cast into the midst of the people.

-Vladimir Lenin

MrYenko posted:

I just got back into WitP again. Playing Allies vs Japan for now, but does anyone have a decent primer on the Japanese economy and logistics? Itís an entirely different monster.

Go to the Matrix forums (I am too lazy), but someone has made this beautiful spreadsheet for everything you need to do to set up your turn one as Japan.

It teaches you quite a bitóand it taught me playing Japan isnít worth the trouble.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

MrYenko posted:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3329605

This is the best one I think.

B-1.1.7 Bomber
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

I found a copy of Gary Grigsby's World at War in the bottom of an old box. Looks to be a circa-2005 game and I can't recall anyone here ever mentioning it. Is this thing worth installing or is it a total dog? I'd have to dig up a cd-rom drive.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

IIRC its a very simplified version of WitP/WitE but I could be wrong. Looking at reviews it looks like it wasnt very well received.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

This is why we have orders, general.

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

I found a copy of Gary Grigsby's World at War in the bottom of an old box. Looks to be a circa-2005 game and I can't recall anyone here ever mentioning it. Is this thing worth installing or is it a total dog? I'd have to dig up a cd-rom drive.

It's Gary Grigsby's Axis and Allies. It has a bit more focus on supply but it's operating at that level. Matrix was at that time really looking for a hit so they were trying to make simpler games while they still had some access to normal game review media.

I would be shocked if it worked very well on a modern computer, though. A lot of games from that time Matrix made are really poorly coded like that.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 5, 2021

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Thanks! I'll change my approach in terms of which TF follows and using patrol for more than just subs.

Here's the TFs on the 8th and the 9th. Refueling the DDs seems plausible but it doesn't look like that was what happened. So maybe just bugged?
- snip -

Follow-up!

Not too bad.

"Late Lex" finally joined the fight, the Buffalos are ineffective, and we get slaughtered.

But the second strike faces less CAP and is able to get through despite losses.
Only Ryuju and Tatsuta are reported sunk, but I found no traces of Zuiho afterwards.

I suspect that if Australia and company hadn't roughed up the carriers beforehand my planes probably wouldn't have gotten through, and they likely would have hit some of my ships. Buffalos are just not good against Zeros.

B-1.1.7 Bomber
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Panzeh posted:

It's Gary Grigsby's Axis and Allies. It has a bit more focus on supply but it's operating at that level. Matrix was at that time really looking for a hit so they were trying to make simpler games while they still had some access to normal game review media.

I would be shocked if it worked very well on a modern computer, though. A lot of games from that time Matrix made are really poorly coded like that.

Got it. I've got other games to play if I want to go that route, so I'll pass. Thanks for the reply.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Does anyone have any experience with Slitherine customer service. I've gotten no update at all on my DC:B physical edition, sent a few emails, got an auto-response that a ticket was opened and it's been radio silence for 3-4 days now. Are they that busy, or am I just getting ignored. At least I paid with paypal so if they ignore me for a wicked long time I can dispute the payment.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

Command: Kashmir Fire and the v1.03 CMO update are out now: https://www.matrixgames.com/game/command-kashmir-fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1do0fEXYMEQ

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Slitherine customer service. I've gotten no update at all on my DC:B physical edition, sent a few emails, got an auto-response that a ticket was opened and it's been radio silence for 3-4 days now. Are they that busy, or am I just getting ignored. At least I paid with paypal so if they ignore me for a wicked long time I can dispute the payment.

They are usually pretty decent if slow. If you paid for it you will get it I'm sure, but pushing them might not be bad.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

It actually showed up in my mailbox today! They just never sent me a notice it had shipped. All good! Beautiful hardcover manual too

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

*the next patch invalidates everything*

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

All great movements are popular movements. They are the volcanic eruptions of human passions and emotions, stirred into activity by the ruthless Goddess of Distress or by the torch of the spoken word cast into the midst of the people.

-Vladimir Lenin

Gewehr 43 posted:

*the next patch invalidates everything*

I figure DC:B has been out long enough he was shipped a totally inaccurate manual out of the box, never mind next patch.

B-1.1.7 Bomber
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

That makes me wonder: Are manuals usually updated when patches go out?

In any event, the pro-tier move is to print out your own manual two-to-a-page, double-sided, spiral-bound.

I'm at god-tier now; I have my own dedicated ereader for all of this crapola

V for Vegas
Aug 31, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Shadow Empire manual is updated constantly.

B-1.1.7 Bomber
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Right. That's why I'm looking into taking this to the next level and spiral-binding my ereaders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

That makes me wonder: Are manuals usually updated when patches go out?

As an IT professional I can authoritatively say what's a manual? no, never.