Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I checked out those mod campaigns (thanks Mans!), and picked out the Germany East 1941 campaign

the first scenario is the invasion of Yugoslavia, and you have zero core units, which means you have total freedom to build a force that you want

so I start picking out units:

* one recon unit to scout ahead
* one engineer unit for attacking fortified hexes
* two tank units for anything soft, or other tanks
* two artillery units for shelling entrenched units
* one regular infantry unit for mop-up

and then something clicked from a book I was reading earlier today:

and I realized that this was it: the force mix was that of a Panzer division, with every unit roughly equivalent to a regiment!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Played a bit of the new Decisive Campaigns. The main campaign is really beefy. Too beefy, in fact, after some exploratory runs I decided to try some of the smaller and medium scenarios to get a better handle on the new mechanics and UI (In all the previous DC games you could just read the start of round report, and click on hex to get all the information you need, maybe hover on some icon if you want further reference like terrain modifiers or whatever). There is now so much information in each single hex that there are whole 3 tabs you can open to get all the info you might want. Of course for these type of game a lot of info are just for simulation purpose and sometimes doesn't do anything, still, very overwhelming at first glance.

All the new art looks very nice, though one complain I have is that unit icon is too big vs hex to the point where I have to play with the hex info tab on at all time just so I know what hex a unit is standing on (hex terrain used to be displayed at the top, now moved to the hex info tab). You can play with small icon, but big icon packs a lot of relevant info, too, so major trade off if you turn it off.

I also had to read up on the Battle of the Bulge wikipedia entry to get an idea on WTF the objective is since there is VP all over the entire Ardennes, spread very evenly. There's probably only two possible axis of advance due to the new traffic jam mechanic. Different types of road can now only handle certain amount of supply and unit traveling through them before traffic jam occurs and become progressively more ineffective to travel on. Practically the only type of road that can handle any sort of heavy traffic is the highway. Minor road, dirt road, and rail road all can handle maybe 2-3 regiments max before traffic jam starts to occur. Turns out all west-east highway either leads to Bastogne or are in the north along the Meuse river. I've yet fight my battle of Elsenborn Ridge so I don't know how practical that is.

There is also a new fatigue mechanic similar to Barbarossa where if your unit move or fight they'll start to get fatigued, lowering their maximum readiness. You can rest by not moving/fighting/getting attacked for a whole turn. Resting is also more effective during night turn. Oh, and yeah, there is now night combat, where units can't see anything so...just sleep unless you want to try to walk into ambush or take your chances pushing the line up further at night.

There is also different types you attack you can do: Probe, Recon in Force, Regular, All-Out. Probe and recon in force gives you hitpoint bonus but reduce attack, have shorter combat round, and lower retreat threshold. Very small unit is now very good at hiding to the point where if they are in a town or heavy forest it can be impractical to move enough units next to it to get enough recon point (I am talking whole division can not get recon on a unit in a town). So what you can do is to use one regiment to do a probe, then you'll be able to do regular attack. All-out cause your units to suffer 50% hp penalty, but 50% more attack, and fight to the death. Haven't really found a good use case, except overrunning units you'll already be overrunning with regular attack but harder.

The most important mechanic is probably intercept fire where enemy can fire on your turn when your unit move within the enemy line of sight. Intercept fire can potentially do significant damage, but more likely make you lose AP so you can't move (or move as far). Almost everything will have some intercept fire capability since tank, AT gun, mortar, and other types of heavy weapons can all do range attack (though direct fire weapon like tank gun and AT gun suffers significant penalty). I don't really know much about using it, but it seems to mostly be a mechanic for Allies to set up since German suffers significant penalty from attempting indirect intercept fire (due to the lack of radio, according to the manual). I do hit any spotted artillery with howitzers of my own though, since counter-battery seems very effective at both suppressing and straight up destroying guns.

Finally, supply management is more complex. At certain point supply will have trouble propagate through your whole front line, especially if you don't control the relevant highway. One way to mitigate this is that you can build supply dump which act like the supply base in Shadow Empire, extending the supply AP so it can travel further. Supply dump can also store supply so you can fight around it even if cut off. It doesn't really come into play in the small and medium scenario, but in the campaign you'll probably have to set a few up eventually. Of course you can also capture enemy supply, especially fuel, as it was historically for the German. (Oh and another complaint, I can't find an easy way to gauge how much fuel I need or how much I am burning per turn, unlike in Barbarossa. There is now also insufficient supply for your whole army to fight, at least I assume so because there are cards that gives you supply and from the supply tab it seems my supply out is higher than supply in at the supply source). In fact since each turn is now only 6 hours, unit can go significant amount of time without supply if they don't fight or move (maybe 6 turns or so), unlike in previous games where being out of supply for 2 turns (hell, for 1 turn if the unit has being moving and fighting at lot or in not optimally supplied area) will cripple you.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 20, 2021

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

[quote="gradenko_2000" post="519376080"]

Not just Germany. Combat experience showed that an effective Armoured Division was a properly balanced combined arms division.

All the major powers went into WW2 with tank divisions that were too tank heavy and were later rebalanced with more infantry and artillery with the knowledge gained from actual combat.

Look at the UK

UK Tank division 1940

2 Tank Brigades, 1 Brigade equivalent combining battalions of recon, infantry, artillery etc.

UK Tank division 1944

1 Tank Brigade, 1 Infantry Brigade, 1 Artillery brigade, and additional recon battalion plus support elements.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Played a couple hours of Combat Mission Cold War now that it's on Steam. Enjoying it so far, things seem a lot more balanced than Black Sea or Shock Force. Soviet tanks hit hard and have heavy armour, but US tanks have the vision advantage, especially in the 1982 scenarios where they get thermals and at the ranges of most Combat Mission engagements, M774 rounds are good enough to punch through T-64/80 hulls.

Ditto for mechanized infantry. Soviet IFVs absolutely dunk on anything that isn't a Bradley (which are super rare, given the timeframe Battlefront has limited them to scouts/cavalry/1 platoon per mech company at most), but US infantry squads have Dragon ATGMs everywhere so if they dismount first, they can mulch the BMPs.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 21, 2021

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I've been really hankering to play some Combat Mission. Is there enough single player content in Cold War to be worth $60?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Popete posted:

I've been really hankering to play some Combat Mission. Is there enough single player content in Cold War to be worth $60?

Me too. I'm waiting for the WWII titles to hit steam someday.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Popete posted:

I've gotten some good time out of it in single player. The deadly factor is definitely cranked down, but tanks still die quick. I'd like to play in turn based, but there's no good way to have tanks drive out of cover, engage, then reverse back into cover. So instead play real-time and minimize the micro as much as possible. Dragons are awesome too, tanks just dissolve. TOW's too, but a little less so, or maybe that's because the TOW launcher M113's are easier to detect.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Yooper posted:

I've gotten some good time out of it in single player. The deadly factor is definitely cranked down, but tanks still die quick. I'd like to play in turn based, but there's no good way to have tanks drive out of cover, engage, then reverse back into cover. So instead play real-time and minimize the micro as much as possible. Dragons are awesome too, tanks just dissolve. TOW's too, but a little less so, or maybe that's because the TOW launcher M113's are easier to detect.

Yeah CM Black Sea taught me that symmetrical modern warfare between two great powers—or a super power and a great power—is deadly ask gently caress.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Yeah CM Black Sea taught me that symmetrical modern warfare between two great powers—or a super power and a great power—is deadly ask gently caress.

Yeah it's still deadlier than like, the WW2 games but not nearly as deadly as Black Sea. Tanks can occasionally take hits, fire and forget top attack ATGMs don't exist, precision artillery isn't a thing (cluster rounds are the new feature but those still take multiple hits to kill a tank), and movement and concealment are still possible since only three vehicles have thermals (M60 TTS, M1 Abrams, M901: only gunner sights, and only in the later period of the game). You definitely feel like you have more breathing room than Black Sea.

I know later DLCs will probably fill things out with new armies and maybe extended the time period forward, but I would absolutely love it if they instead went back to like, 1964. Heavy tanks like the M103/T-10 were still in play, but it's before the T-64 hit the scene. The only ATGMs are early MCLOS ones like the AT-1/3, ENTAC, and SS.11, and tanks are mostly going to be M48s/M60s slugging it out with T-55s and T-62s.

Honestly one of the things I love about Armoured Brigade is it's one of the few games that actually does cover that period.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 21, 2021

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Been enjoying some of OOB's free scenarios. Boot camp last mission was a fun little conclusion and some relief after the tedious naval engagement before. Then tried some free samples, from the Marines campaign, Winter War and Sandstorm. Thought I'd get started with the Marines campaign, but Winter War may edge it, I really enjoyed the hide and seek around those russian columns.

Sandstorm was a fun diversion. I'm more into infantry, but thought I'd try this one out for something different. The big map with multiple roads to objectives felt radically different to my previous engagements.

I do feel that the scenarios are on the easy side though. I'm far from a brilliant player and left things at the default setting (2/5 I think?) but never felt at risk of failing and even unit losses have been extremely rare, with no mid-mission reload. Not sure if it's that difficulty 2 is too easy and I should increase that, or if it's just that campaigns are designed with walkover intro scenarios.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

FishMcCool posted:

Been enjoying some of OOB's free scenarios. Boot camp last mission was a fun little conclusion and some relief after the tedious naval engagement before. Then tried some free samples, from the Marines campaign, Winter War and Sandstorm. Thought I'd get started with the Marines campaign, but Winter War may edge it, I really enjoyed the hide and seek around those russian columns.

Sandstorm was a fun diversion. I'm more into infantry, but thought I'd try this one out for something different. The big map with multiple roads to objectives felt radically different to my previous engagements.

I do feel that the scenarios are on the easy side though. I'm far from a brilliant player and left things at the default setting (2/5 I think?) but never felt at risk of failing and even unit losses have been extremely rare, with no mid-mission reload. Not sure if it's that difficulty 2 is too easy and I should increase that, or if it's just that campaigns are designed with walkover intro scenarios.

Is that the level where all the enemy units are strength 8? If you are familiar with war gaming at least bump it up one level from there so the enemy is fielding strength 10 units.

The difficulty can be changed between (maybe even inside) scenarios so if you find yourself caught out to much you can scale it back.

Also the first scenario of that each pack is usually pretty easy. But it can ramp up quickly from there.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FishMcCool posted:

Difficulty changes dramatically from the second level to level 3, which is the "neutral" or normal one I guess.

Winter War is really crazy and you get to fight mechanized Soviet corps with near air dominance while you have ski troops and some cheap vickers. At some point you can capture a KV-1 and it feels like Christmas if you do.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Ah, I see. Thinking on it, yes, enemy units seemed to be at 8, so guess I'll push to 3, thanks.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

WDS sent me a new installer for Campaign Antietam

They must have updated a lot of their titles — last week I got emails for each JTS I own.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Gave the new Decisive Campaigns a poke.

It's real pretty, and I think I need to do the tutorial

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Does WitP:AE do fullscreen yet? And does it go on sale at Christmas?

Are there any other turn based operational level carrier games covering the theatre?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BrotherJayne posted:

Are there any other turn based operational level carrier games covering the theatre?

https://wargameds.com/collections/panzer-campaigns/products/japan-46

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh it's almost time for Matrix to publish their PDF without links of their christmas sale, isn't it?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

BrotherJayne posted:

Yes it's 80% off right now!

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!
Does Combat Mission Black Sea have a setting to invert y axis for the camera? This is sort of a deal breaker for me before I lay down cash on the sale.

Shock Force didn't and now I am wary.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Autumn Steam sale has started. OOB campaigns are 61% off mostly with a few exceptions. Glad I explored the free scenarios while waiting for it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

FishMcCool posted:

Autumn Steam sale has started. OOB campaigns are 61% off mostly with a few exceptions. Glad I explored the free scenarios while waiting for it.

Yeah I insta-bought the bundle that included all of the Pacific campaign DLCs, I imagine that'll keep me busy for quite some time or at least until the Christmas sale when I buy the rest of the DLCs

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

pesty13480 posted:

Does Combat Mission Black Sea have a setting to invert y axis for the camera? This is sort of a deal breaker for me before I lay down cash on the sale.

Shock Force didn't and now I am wary.

They're all identical engine-wise, so I wouldn't expect it.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!
A shame, and you would think something easy to cram into the options somewhere. They are who they are.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Do we have a Shadow Empire thread somewhere in this gay old forum or any other goon resources?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926377&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Yes but it's been quiet a while and is likely a bit out of date. People are still playing MP on the discord in the OP though.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Excellent. Thank you! :tipshat:

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

BrotherJayne posted:

Does WitP:AE do fullscreen yet?

Yes, up to 1920x1080 only though. At least I could never get it to go full screen above that. You have to edit the switches for the game's shortcut in order to do it, too. I put this doc together last spring to sum up the install and setup process: Google doc link

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
I've got a 31% discount coupon for Matrix/Slitherine if anyone wants it. DM or throw an email, first come first served.

Edit: taken

bgreman fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 26, 2021

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Gewehr 43 posted:

Yes, up to 1920x1080 only though. At least I could never get it to go full screen above that. You have to edit the switches for the game's shortcut in order to do it, too. I put this doc together last spring to sum up the install and setup process: Google doc link

Thank you!

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

You're welcome. Good luck. Feel free to ask if you get stumped at all.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
So, Armored Brigade is $8 on GOG

https://www.gog.com/game/armored_brigade

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019
How's the AI in Armored Brigade? I heard some mixed opinions at launch, and that's been the main thing that's kept me from picking it up.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts basic campaign patch is out. Only Britain and Germany with 1890 start in north western Europe for now. First impressions is it's very much like RTW with graphics and even though it's just basic functionality right now with diplomacy etc missing, the basic game loop is there and it works.

E. In the spirit of brexit I just put an entire English squadron to the torpedo as they tried to sink one of our merchant convoys :allears:
Something something the English, economic damage, petard :allears:

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 28, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Only Britain and Germany with 1890 start in north western Europe for now.

This is all anyone needs anyway.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Is there any way to remove all the labels always showing in tacview for cmano? TIA (have advanced version)

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

While I'm waiting for The Troop to hit Early Access (Allegedly before Xmas), I realise I've never tried much of the Close Combat series.

Any recommendations?

I heard the most recent was bad, or at least had major issues on release. No idea if they've been addressed.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Deptfordx posted:

While I'm waiting for The Troop to hit Early Access (Allegedly before Xmas), I realise I've never tried much of the Close Combat series.

Any recommendations?

I heard the most recent was bad, or at least had major issues on release. No idea if they've been addressed.

Gateway to Caen and Panthers in the fog seem to be the most popular. I own both but have put the most time into Gateway to Caen.

The new 3d game I haven't played but it doesn't look great, the maps are just far too small.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Deptfordx posted:

Any recommendations?

Close Combat 2: A Bridge Too Far.

It and the other older games from the late 90s are all on sale for $2.99 on GOG, while the newer ones are all like $10 on both GOG and Steam. It's still extremely tough at times (You are going to take a lot of losses on some missions) but a ton of fun, and the grand campaign for A Bridge Too Far remains one of my favorite things in a strategy game. I never put as much time into the later ones, mainly cause Russian Front made some changes to the UI that I didn't like and gets very vehicle heavy, while I think Battle of the Bulge I've just never gotten around to in recent years. That said, for the cost, they are absolutely worth checking out.

These games got discussed in here a while back and one of the complaints about the remakes like Last Stand Arnhem was that they made some of the maps larger and other changes that weren't necessarily needed. I haven't tried them myself yet, but since they're on sale I might snag one and give it a try at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

You can get all of the old ones cheaply, as said, and they generally have their own merits, but Bridge Too Far is probably the best mix. Some of the older ones can be tricky to get working with certain graphics set-ups. Indeed, I've only been able to play the first three since I can't get the others to run without crashing.

CC1 - Good for a proof of concept, but it really only has one or two types of battle: advancing into potentially dangerous situations complicated by the knife-fight ranges of bocage country, or occasionally defending a similar situation. I still think it is the best at establishing a connection to your unit, since it's a smaller-scale game and the campaign advances in a way that fits that scale. (This comes packaged for free with any of the others on GoG, or at least it used to. That's partly because it can be pretty unstable, so expect that some battles will just crash; it should still be playable.)

CC2 - Balanced between the paratroops trying to take ground and the tank battles of the forces heading to connect with them. A good mix and variety of maps, and a decent mix of vehicular and infantry fighting. The campaign can feel just a bit like it forces you into some outcomes, but when it works, it really works well.

CC3 - For good or ill, the campaign runs through the whole of the war, with your unit getting into key battles as the front shifts. This does allow you to play with a wide variety of units, and it's balanced enough that you can rebuild with entirely new forces as you desire (or if you get beaten badly). Each 'battle' plays out over a map that adjusts as you gain or lose territory, and I think it handles this territory shift better than CC2 did. On the other hand, since the campaign is so spread out you don't quite get the connection to a grand operation that game had, nor do you quite get the feel for your units being special quite as much as in CC1, since they update so frequently.