Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah, I’m tempted to say this is just the RtW2 thread, since any thread we start for it would eventually just be reabsorbed into this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Mode 7 posted:

What are my options for Ancient-era grog?

https://www.hpssims.com/ has a series of ancient era games. Not sure how good they are.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Are there any good guides to getting into Ageod games? Rise of Prussia has a tutorial but it cannot teach me to get good at it.

This guy did an AAR of RoP with tips for beginners throughout. It's not incredible but it may be helpful and explain concepts in context, which is nice. RoP is I think one of their simpler games so the other AGEOD stuff usually adds on top (trade, diplo, etc) but combat and leader mechanics are always the same, more or less.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ginners.513080/

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Mode 7 posted:

What are my options for Ancient-era grog?

For modern games, I really liked Hegemony 3 even though it seems a bit arcady on the surface. Normally even if they are good they only have deep strategy where the ancient part is a veneer but I thought the series nailed the feel of ancient warfare pretty well. Very easy to hold back a million men with a single group of hoplites in a narrow mountain pass.

https://www.gog.com/game/great_battles_collectors_edition This series holds up really well since it is based off the board game. I think it uses the simple rules but it doesn't really matter.

As for the last one I don't know if this game even runs on modern systems anymore but I really liked slitherine's gates of troy/spartan. It's another grognard version of total war but it has extremely period specific diplomacy and combat is completely hands off in a good way. They stopped patching it tho so it has trouble with win 7/8/10

StrixNebulosa posted:

Are there any good guides to getting into Ageod games? Rise of Prussia has a tutorial but it cannot teach me to get good at it.

Go to the AGEOD civil war 1 (not 2) and look at the strategy subforum. There are lots of links there to how exactly take advantage of the combat system and what values you need to look at in the unit to know if it is good or not. Since the core game is identical across the series they pretty much apply to every game.

Also look closely at your supply rules since that is the heart of the game. Basically what you want to do is always be expanding your supply network and work towards that, always try and defend and not attack, keep cohesion high, and always buy reinforcements before new units.

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 19, 2019

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

so... do you think rtw2 is gonna be good

i find it disconcerting none of the dev diaries have been with majors like us or uk. I want to see a battle with more than 3 carriers involved.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Don’t even joke about that! It will be good, it must be good.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Smaller-scale operations like the ones shown are much easier to break down and show off all the new bells and whistles they've added. The rest is mostly scaling. We already know the engine can handle lots and lots of ships (I've had scenarios with 60-70 total ships in RTW1, with no problems), and one of the devlogs had a tester accidentally deploying a ludicrous number of torpedo bombers, so we know the engine can handle that.

Apart from that, we're almost going to be seeing quite a lot of balance issues (just like the first game), but those will be patched out fairly easily.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I WANNA SEE

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

so... do you think rtw2 is gonna be good

i find it disconcerting none of the dev diaries have been with majors like us or uk. I want to see a battle with more than 3 carriers involved.

Uhh, MODS?!?!!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

corn in the bible posted:

This guy did an AAR of RoP with tips for beginners throughout. It's not incredible but it may be helpful and explain concepts in context, which is nice. RoP is I think one of their simpler games so the other AGEOD stuff usually adds on top (trade, diplo, etc) but combat and leader mechanics are always the same, more or less.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ginners.513080/

Thanks!

dtkozl posted:

Go to the AGEOD civil war 1 (not 2) and look at the strategy subforum. There are lots of links there to how exactly take advantage of the combat system and what values you need to look at in the unit to know if it is good or not. Since the core game is identical across the series they pretty much apply to every game.

Also look closely at your supply rules since that is the heart of the game. Basically what you want to do is always be expanding your supply network and work towards that, always try and defend and not attack, keep cohesion high, and always buy reinforcements before new units.

Thanks!

I find it funny how sometimes learning a wargame is more complicated than my trig homework. :v:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Thanks for the options. I think out of what I was looking at Fields of Glory II looks like what I'm after. Might throw it on my wishlist and wait for a sale though, I've bought enough games this month already that I'm not playing.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

William Miller, NWS posted:

Carrier effective aircraft capacity-per-displacement-ton in RTW2 will reduce as time goes by to reflect later model (i.e. larger and heavier) aircraft coming into service...this is somewhat abstracted but does give more realistic number of carrier capacity as aircraft inevitably increase in size & weight.

Neat. I wonder if I should try compiling another "Tidbits" collection.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Field of Glory update for those not interested in the videos.

3rd - actually 2nd, but they took the end of my video where I pushed to take all of Rome. and seeing as I took more provinces than the winner in only 4 more turns, I'm drat happy with myself!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
An interesting thing I think we’re seeing with RtW2 is the growth of NWS from a totally niche studio into a slightly less totally niche studio. Like, Fredrik isn’t quitting his day job or anything, but they’ve had a lot of interest in RtW2, they’re updating their store in some way yet to be announced, and William is saying that RtW was their first game that was pirated in any noticeable numbers, so RtW2 is going to have copy protection.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Neat. I wonder if I should try compiling another "Tidbits" collection.

It could be helpful—if I get time this week I might go back through some of the bigger threads over there and compile some things. The tidbits collection is really useful, I totally didn’t realize that the “auto ammo selection” button didn’t actually do anything until I read Fredrik admitting it.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
In CMANO I've been trying to work my through the suggested mission list that someone put together and noticed that a bunch aren't in the community pack. Do people put scenarios on the Steam workshop? I have The Silent Service installed which is a separate game in Steam. If I install the normal client instead will it know to give me the sub missions and whatnot?

Also some of the missions are really well done and fun and others are also well done but sort of rely on a bit of bullshit for difficulty. Like the Midway vs Cuba mission that throws like 50 Mig-21/23s at you in waves and launches a strike force ball of MIG-29s near the end. Any player without clairvoyance will have at least half of his fighters rearming and won't be able to really stop it, so the 'challenge' is to play unrealistically enough to fight off the final wave that had been apparently just been hanging out watching their countrymen get slaughtered for 8 hours.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I had to pirate rtw on my second time around because i changed credit cards between and couldn't install it anymore without the info of the old one.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

In CMANO I've been trying to work my through the suggested mission list that someone put together and noticed that a bunch aren't in the community pack. Do people put scenarios on the Steam workshop? I have The Silent Service installed which is a separate game in Steam. If I install the normal client instead will it know to give me the sub missions and whatnot?

Also some of the missions are really well done and fun and others are also well done but sort of rely on a bit of bullshit for difficulty. Like the Midway vs Cuba mission that throws like 50 Mig-21/23s at you in waves and launches a strike force ball of MIG-29s near the end. Any player without clairvoyance will have at least half of his fighters rearming and won't be able to really stop it, so the 'challenge' is to play unrealistically enough to fight off the final wave that had been apparently just been hanging out watching their countrymen get slaughtered for 8 hours.

If you buy the campaign packs, like Silent Service, it'll appear in your CMANO base game. I don't recall if you have to install the standalone pack too.

Agreed on the missions too, the tempo can be rather erratic. I think a bit of foreshadowing would be helpful. The Midway example you used is a great example where some intel could help you know to prepare for an onslaught, otherwise here you are running a normal CAP and getting slammed without any real recourse. Realistically there's the day after where the MIG-21/23's wouldn't be able to defend home turf and would get stomped by land based bombers. A bit tougher to model that.

It can be really tricky to plan out a good opfor, especially over a long scenario. Either you need to script it and assume the player will follow mission path rigidly, or get more generic with patrol areas and strikes to respond to the player. The scripted path is probably what the scenario designer did for the Midway example, then all they have to do is set a few strike missions and let you the player deal with it. A "Meeting Engagement" between two naval powers where each has room to maneuver would be really interesting to setup the OPFOR on.

So yah, lots of words to say YMMV depending on who made the scenario.

Edit, more scenario designers should account for plane losses in the scores. A surviving air force with a mediocre mission completion is infinitely more valuable than a wiped out air force with a mission success. Hardly worth tossing out the air force and leaving yourself susceptible to follow up attacks. Force preservation just probably isn't as much fun as launching every damned plane and watching it all burn.

Yooper fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 20, 2019

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Party In My Diapee posted:

I had to pirate rtw on my second time around because i changed credit cards between and couldn't install it anymore without the info of the old one.

The NWS forums are now filling up with people getting irate about DRM, some out of principle, others for reasons like this. They’ve said they’re giving consideration to letting you install it on two computers but that’s not confirmed.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh jesus I bet they've gone for some special snowflake drm that is nothing remotely like an accepted industry standard and will work purely because no pirate will bother to crack it but will be super annoying to all consumers.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Alchenar posted:

Oh jesus I bet they've gone for some special snowflake drm that is nothing remotely like an accepted industry standard and will work purely because no pirate will bother to crack it but will be super annoying to all consumers.

quote:

THE ANTI-PIRACY SYSTEM FOR RTW2

Since we have a number of players wondering what sort of anti-piracy system we will have for RTW2, the following post should help explain what we are doing.

Basically the protection itself is a self-contained 'wrapper' (incorporated into the game executable itself, nothing external), where the game executable is protected and the game would need to be re-registered if it is moved to another PC. Out of the choices we had available and affordable to a rather small company like ours, IMO this is our best option without going too restrictive. You will not need to be online to play it, you will only need to send your machine code in and receive a unlock code to play. You will also be able to play for a time without unlocking the game, so you can play even if you have to wait a bit for an unlock code. You will still receive a separate serial code, but this serial code will not be required to install RTW2, it exists so we can make sure folks who need to have their game unlocked are legitimate owners of the game. If you transfer the game to another machine you will need to get an unlock code for the new machine, of course.

I do personally dislike that we have to have this sort of (relatively moderate) protection scheme to help curb certain types of piracy, but RTW was our first release wherein we tracked fairly significant piracy of the game and we believe that it likely harmed our sales to some degree, mostly later in the games' sales life-cycle. Larger companies perhaps can write off a certain amount of piracy as 'cost-of-business' and such, but smaller developers like ourselves just do not have that extra margin of monies/resources to do so in many cases. I certainly understand that some players may not like this decision, but I hope you can understand why we need to make some efforts to protect from at least casual piracy. We will do our best to make this as painless of a process as possible, and if you have any issues we will (as we always do) put forth our best effort to help clear them up for you.

Thanks for your time, and for your understanding.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

sad lol

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009

In CMANO I've been trying to work my through the suggested mission list that someone put together

Mind sharing this list (or letting me know where to find it)?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Ahh yes, drm is well-known for deterring piracy late in the games lifecycle.

From the description it sounds onerous enough I might not bother with buying it unless it's a massive success.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
That actually made me think: Given how many of these grog games resemble RTW in their Microsoft Visual Basic interface and the fact that they're unheard of, if there were no DRM I bet you could have gotten a pretty large install base for RTW of accidental pirates by just saying, "Yeah, it's free and made by some guy in his garage, check it out," and people would be none the wiser.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's always fun seeing the grognard dev say 'We did our research and this was the best option available" and yet they've somehow come to the opposite conclusion of everyone else in their industry.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
waiting for another serial in the mail because i changed my monitor

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Grog devs gonna grog dev. :doh:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Oh man I didn't know about the garbage DRM. who cares how many computers I have it installed on? And you need permission to reinstall it? I may pass on RTW2.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It's fine. It'll probably be turbo easy to bypass

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Just wanted to let everyone know that I do not care one bit about drm and I would prepurchase RTW2 right now if I could.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

In CMANO I've been trying to work my through the suggested mission list that someone put together

Post the list please?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Obfuscation posted:

Just wanted to let everyone know that I do not care one bit about drm and I would prepurchase RTW2 right now if I could.

I'm looking forward to a week after release where people have codes that don't work and are having to resort to uninstalling and reinstalling the game to reset the clock to play it.

e: I've got no principled objection to drm at all. Developers deserve to get paid for their work. I object to objectively terrible implementation of drm when there are much better solutions on the shelf that these devs aren't going for because they are stubborn.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

Post the list please?

This thread maybe : http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4599077 ?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Alchenar posted:

I'm looking forward to a week after release where people have codes that don't work and are having to resort to uninstalling and reinstalling the game to reset the clock to play it.

e: I've got no principled objection to drm at all. Developers deserve to get paid for their work. I object to objectively terrible implementation of drm when there are much better solutions on the shelf that these devs aren't going for because they are stubborn.

Eh, I mean aside from steam et al. there aren't really many options these days to be fair, ever since optical media distribution virtually died on PC.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Denuvo, completely horrible poo poo that it is, seems to be handling it for most of the companies that either need something besides steam or are using it in addition to steam.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Zaodai posted:

Denuvo, completely horrible poo poo that it is, seems to be handling it for most of the companies that either need something besides steam or are using it in addition to steam.

I imagine that's both expensive and given that it slows down the CPU with decryption operations might not be a great fit for a game like this anyway.

Really I just want them to use Steam (or another store but seriously what's the point of not using steam), or if they really have to at least make it as unobnoxious as possible.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
if this game has denuvo it wont be able to run on my TI calculator

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I bet everyone paying for the game will have the horrible 2 computer limit/permission system, while pirates just replace the .exe and can enjoy the game freely.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Private Speech posted:

I imagine that's both expensive and given that it slows down the CPU with decryption operations might not be a great fit for a game like this anyway.

Really I just want them to use Steam (or another store but seriously what's the point of not using steam), or if they really have to at least make it as unobnoxious as possible.

In fairness to Denuvo, as much as I hate it, part of the problem is that devs put it in MAXIMUM HITLER mode. Fun fact, you can make it check for piracy EVERY FRAME! You really shouldn't do that, but there's at least one case where that's how it was configured. You can imagine how brutally that destroyed performance for any game.

You can, if you want to, set it to much more reasonable DRM modes (with tradeoffs in being easier to crack), down to even the oldest school of DRM, where it just does file validation on launch.

I don't know what the costs are, but I can't really believe home rolled single install linked to your hardware trash DRM was the only thing available to them. It's more likely it's just their 1980s PC mindset making them think it'll work better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zaodai posted:

In fairness to Denuvo, as much as I hate it, part of the problem is that devs put it in MAXIMUM HITLER mode. Fun fact, you can make it check for piracy EVERY FRAME! You really shouldn't do that, but there's at least one case where that's how it was configured. You can imagine how brutally that destroyed performance for any game.

You can, if you want to, set it to much more reasonable DRM modes (with tradeoffs in being easier to crack), down to even the oldest school of DRM, where it just does file validation on launch.

I don't know what the costs are, but I can't really believe home rolled single install linked to your hardware trash DRM was the only thing available to them. It's more likely it's just their 1980s PC mindset making them think it'll work better.

They said something about refusing to have third party partners so they probably really did cut their own options all the way down.