Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

As long as we're talking about tanks, I've been playing GHPC a lot recently and that's making me want to play more modern armor sims. Is Steel Beasts any good for just single player? I know it's like $100, you have to run it off a USB stick and it's illegal to have fun while playing it but it's not like there's a lot of options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Actually it’s on a far more reasonable subscription model these days. It’s still pretty barebones as a game though.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Dramicus posted:

In theory anything with over 200mm of pen should be able to get through the lower side hull.

... You don't need anywhere near that much. A normal Abrams rear side hull (there is no distinction between lower hull and upper hull, but there is between front and rear hull) is literally just 30mm of steel + like 7mm extra on the skirts.

A lot of the extra weight added in the TUSK upgrade was extra steel and ERA on the skirts because the Iraqis figured out that a loving 14.5mm AA machinegun (of which there were plenty in Iraq) can kill an Abrams, if you shoot in the right place.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

In the Phoenix Command game LatwPIAT ran, one of the Abrams was mission-killed by a skirt shot that knocked out the engine.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Tuna-Fish posted:

... You don't need anywhere near that much. A normal Abrams rear side hull (there is no distinction between lower hull and upper hull, but there is between front and rear hull) is literally just 30mm of steel + like 7mm extra on the skirts.

A lot of the extra weight added in the TUSK upgrade was extra steel and ERA on the skirts because the Iraqis figured out that a loving 14.5mm AA machinegun (of which there were plenty in Iraq) can kill an Abrams, if you shoot in the right place.

I was talking in general for modern MBTs. Some of them have varying amounts of spaced and/or composite armor on the sides. Also ERA blocks might be more effective against ww2 APHE rounds and the like. Even the skirts would be enough to trigger most Russian and American ww2 APHE. I think the Germans usually had their fuse at 11mm or something.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

piL posted:

The outcome of any war is dependent on the will of its participants, the terrain, and the war aims. What kind of objectives could there be? Which ones wouldn't be protected by CIWS and/or SAM and which German ones, unprotected by radar, would not be vulnerable to Delta force in blackhawks with nightvision or mobile artillery?

The Gulf War US Army, having won the ground so quickly and not yet developed the will of the American people, would likely falter on maintaining will through post-war operations before achieving a stable post-war Germany. Local former Wehrmacht fighters would find it politically advantageous to oppose US interests and whatever proxy government set up by the US, without oversight, would crumble under corruption. A protracted war of occupation might end years later with the dissolution of the new German state and land grabs by local state and non-state actors.

lol

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tuna-Fish posted:

This seems dramatically fragile. I know Bradley's are also extremely brittle in real life, it just makes the disparity in quality between the United States and iraq even more enormous when they used Bradleys to just plow throw entire tank divisions without a single casualty.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Nice, the new Decisive Campaigns is out November 18. I didn't think it would be this year tbh.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Oh good, been looking forward to that.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
A few glimpses from the future: https://pro.matrixgames.com/news/8th-command-professional-edition-user-conference

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

enhancements to Command’s land warfare capability (a.k.a. Project Hannibal)

looking forward to the Harold Coyle DLCs

quote:

Rory Anderson, technical lead, previewed the new real-time multiplayer mode for Command, which allows real-time vectoring of Command entities to support your team and defeat your opponent with up to 16 players simultaneously. While there’s still significant work to be done before this is complete, Rory and the team connected three systems to the server, an umpire and a red and blue side, and started the game. While the two sides fought for supremacy in the skies, the umpire was tracking not only the battle, but could also see exactly where red and blue’s attention was by showing both where their focus and their mouse were on the map in real-time.

oh HELL YES this is going to lead to some incredible content

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
“Okay, now the red team player is just drawing a dick on the map with the cursor while they watch their aircraft approach the target…”

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

looking forward to the Harold Coyle DLCs

oh HELL YES this is going to lead to some incredible content

Some really cool stuff, I hope it makes it out of PE and into our hands.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

drat I actually want to read that one now, it sounds lit

IIRC the conclusion was basically that the Iraqis made the 1940 French Army look positively competent and quick-acting, and there's only so much having better equipment can do when you're THAT bad at using it. So they'd be able to inflict some painful tactical losses, but would just get thouroughly outmaneuvered and collapse on the operational/strategic level when up against a major late-WWII army.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Grey Hunter just started a WITE 2 LP from the Soviet side on his youtube channel for anyone wanting to check that game out

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

V for Vegas posted:

Nice, the new Decisive Campaigns is out November 18. I didn't think it would be this year tbh.

What do we know about it? I really liked Barbarossa’s decisions and political layer, is there going to be any of that in the Ardennes?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Velius posted:

What do we know about it? I really liked Barbarossa’s decisions and political layer, is there going to be any of that in the Ardennes?

Nah this is a zag in direction - much smaller hexes, battalion sized units, and 4 turn days.

Don't know too much (someone here might be in the beta) but I suspect this game will focus a lot more on fatigue and supply as it's 'thing' than previous games.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Didn't deploy on tanks (did my deployment as a scout) but stories from my tank PSG was pretty much that the RPGs were scary but not a big deal. Biggest killers were EFPs (basically like HEAT shells) and the Russian AT grenades thrown from overpasses.

I'm sure a KT could knock out an Abrams up close and at the flank but like mentioned here the optics and fire control systems are incredible and what would put it over. Not to say that other modern tanks don't have similar capabilities but you can engage so many targets within a short timeframe. As a TC, I would cover 12-3 and my gunner would cover 12-9 essentially giving us 180 degrees of coverage. There's a lot of emphasis in gunnery in trying to master that target hand off. Also, the sight we use for engagement is a 13x zoom which is far beyond what would be used in WW2.

Edit: I also think the success at 73 easting was mostly dumb luck on our part. McMaster stumbled into the Iraqi TAA when they weren't even on their tanks.

Ashmole fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 29, 2021

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Magni posted:

IIRC the conclusion was basically that the Iraqis made the 1940 French Army look positively competent and quick-acting, and there's only so much having better equipment can do when you're THAT bad at using it. So they'd be able to inflict some painful tactical losses, but would just get thouroughly outmaneuvered and collapse on the operational/strategic level when up against a major late-WWII army.

The Iraq Army only looked so incompetent because Coalition air power operated with impunity, the Regular Army correctly perceived that resistance was pointless, and most crucially because they were at a gigantic materiel tactical disadvantage further magnified by the terrain they chose to fight over. Poor training and command didn't help, but even the most brilliantly led army would have come away looking like the Washington Generals if they had to fight a war that hopelessly stacked against them. Iraq would have an absurd technological advantage against the Wehrmacht and wouldn't be encumbered by most of the factors that caused them to lose so decisively IRL. Iraq would win in a rout. It would look like the Battle of Kambula.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The luftwaffe would have thousands more planes in the AO and thus would absolutely destroy the logistics chain of the Abrams. Bish bash bosh no more fuel and the M1 is defeated before ever making it into combat :godwin:

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Ashmole posted:

Edit: I also think the success at 73 easting was mostly dumb luck on our part. McMaster stumbled into the Iraqi TAA when they weren't even on their tanks.

They were out of the tanks to avoid getting killed via airstike.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The luftwaffe would have thousands more planes in the AO and thus would absolutely destroy the logistics chain of the Abrams. Bish bash bosh no more fuel and the M1 is defeated before ever making it into combat :godwin:

So the Tiger Tank, but in reverse.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Velius posted:

quote:

FEATURE LIST

Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive comes with dozens of additions, changes and improvements designed to fit its scale and to bring innovation to the series. The result is an extremely immersive operational wargame where, more than ever, intelligent tactics can beat the odds.

Weather is more detailed than ever before, with over 5 different Hex states that show different combinations of precipitation, snow cover and frost.

Small villages and hamlets are now visible as well as height levels.

Ardennes Offensive adds line of sight to the Decisive Campaign Series for the first time: hills block line of sight and Recon is now more important than ever.

Hexes are no longer owned. You can expect enemy troops to infiltrate your lines without you noticing.

The Supply System has been overhauled. This overhaul includes the introduction of traffic congestion rules, which can especially impact the Fuel deliveries to your Units.

Intercept Fire makes advancing in open terrain a hazardous affair, but also brings dynamisms to the game with enemy Units acting while you are moving yours. Make the call: If you don’t want to leave your Units some Action Points then they can’t react to enemy moves the upcoming turn.

You can now switch your Units between March Mode and Combat Mode. March Mode allows double the movement but makes your Units very vulnerable to possible intercept fire.

When attacking a hex, you can now also choose between different intensities of attack ranging from a Probe Attack to an All-Out-Attack.

Ardennes Offensive adds the Uncertainty Rule as an optional feature. If you play with this rule each Unit gets a hidden combat modifier that you will discover over time as the Unit sees more and more combat.

It is possible to create Kampfgruppes on the fly, Scrap equipment and even use on-map Truck Units to transport other Units.

Complete rehaul of the hex graphics as well as the Unit graphics. As a result, DC: Ardennes Offensive comes with a fresh-looking map, unit counters as well as new and matching troop and landscape illustrations.

The interface has adapted left-right-click conventions in order to have a quicker and smoother experience moving your Units.

The AI has been reworked a lot and will provide a solid challenge even in regular mode.

DC: Ardennes Offensive is the first title in the series with accessible and easy-to-use editors.

So generally much smaller scale stuff, to fit its setting.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pirate Radar posted:

So generally much smaller scale stuff, to fit its setting.

I have to say I just love how each story in the series, is different than the previous one with both additions or unique things to the situation. I guess it’s just a breath of fresh air with how a lot of wargames just add new scenarios and a few new features.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just incredibly impressed Vic basically made a whole new game in his spare time while he was also making Shadow Empire.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

sum posted:

The Iraq Army only looked so incompetent because Coalition air power operated with impunity, the Regular Army correctly perceived that resistance was pointless, and most crucially because they were at a gigantic materiel tactical disadvantage further magnified by the terrain they chose to fight over. Poor training and command didn't help, but even the most brilliantly led army would have come away looking like the Washington Generals if they had to fight a war that hopelessly stacked against them. Iraq would have an absurd technological advantage against the Wehrmacht and wouldn't be encumbered by most of the factors that caused them to lose so decisively IRL. Iraq would win in a rout. It would look like the Battle of Kambula.

There was way more broken with Saddam's army than just getting paralysed by hostile airpower or low morale. These are the same guys who brought a fully-fledged mechanised army to fight an Iranian military largely reduced to light infantry and half-trained militias. And even with superior numbers* barely managed to eke out an eventual stalemate by essentially falling back to a WWI-esque approach of static defense and intensely-planned, short setpiece attacks that were rehearsed down to the company level for weeks in advance. The moment Iraqi units met a changing situation on the battlefield and had no specific, detailed orders adressing said change handed down to them all the way from high command, they would literally just stop and do nothing other than perhaps start shooting in the direction of the enemy. And when they had orders, they would carry them out to the letter, even when doing so was blatantly counterproductive.

Desert Storm put that on display even harder. Iraqi formations literally wouldn't react to massed coalition units rolling up their flanks without specific orders. Hell, they'd often not even try to report that there were coalition units rolling into an attack upon them or neighbouring units. Artillery kept pounding empty patches of desert with a regularity you could use to set your clock, completely ignoring that the coalition units it was meant to hit had moved elsewhere hours ago etc.

Quite simply put, the Iraqi army displayed a level of coordination and initiative at all levels below high command that would have been considered poor by the standards of the western front in 1916, let alone in freakin' 1991. Their reaction to entire coalition divisions outflanking their line was to literally do nothing at all until like half the drat line had been rolled up already. It's no exaggeration that if you outright switched the equipment between the two parties, the Iraqis would have still been curbstomped wholesale. An absurd technological advantage simply doesn't make up for that kind of complete institutional inability to wage anything approaching an actual maneuver battle. All the gear in the world doesn't matter when the people using it simply will not ever use it to anything approaching its potential. Any major late-WWII army would just run rings around these clowns, outflank them and then stampede through their rear areas. It'd be messier than what the Americans did in '91 and take longer, but the overall outcome would be pretty drat similar.

Here's a huge effortpost from that thread that details it more finely:
https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/iraq-circa-1991-versus-germany-circa-1941.114534/page-3#post-3085455

*The Iraqis had a ~2:1 advantage in manpower in the field for most of the Iran-Iraq War. And ~20:1 for tanks and AFVs. They still got regularily beaten in fights in the open desert by iranian infantry armed with virtually nothing heavier than small arms and molotov cocktails.

Magni fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 2, 2021

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Okay, okay…Napolean vs the Iraqis

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That owns considering historically its a bunch of US Infantry divisions rotating on with no experience and cracking under the assault and never fighting again.

Afaik, even the 101st Airborne didn't see front line fighting after that either they went to reserve duty(?).

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

wins32767 posted:

They were out of the tanks to avoid getting killed via airstike.

Even so, I think it's a battle that's held in too high regard in the US military as a major tank battle for what it ended up being.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

CMO on Humble Bundle for $40. https://www.humblebundle.com/store/command-modern-operations

The new Soviet campaign pack is coming out next month.

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008

Freedom Trails posted:

Okay, okay…Napolean vs the Iraqis

Lets stick to armies that historically fought in this theatre - Alexander the Great vs the Iraqis

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

dogsarentdangerous posted:

Lets stick to armies that historically fought in this theatre - Alexander the Great vs the Iraqis

Napoleon vs Nasser then?

Griz
May 21, 2001

UBOAT is 57% off ($12.89) for the next two weeks

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Check out The Troop demo on Steam Next Fest.

Turn based, small unit action.

Rather reminiscent of the classic Battle Academy in look and feel.

Made by a 3 man team, but it looks rather nice.

Still a work in progress, no overwatch, but some interesting mechanics.

Definitely going in my wish list and could be a fun placeholder while we're waiting for Second Front.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Anyone going to bite the bullet and spend some time with the Starship Troopers demo?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Fire and Maneuver
Maneuver and Fire
Of this routine you must never tire
etc. etc.

Biggest personal complaint is that there is no smart targeting. If you want your snipers to shoot spitters first you have to manually tell them to do so, every time. Otherwise they just shoot the nearest target. Feel free to argue that I was just spoiled by Infested Planet's implementation.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Ashmole posted:

Didn't deploy on tanks (did my deployment as a scout) but stories from my tank PSG was pretty much that the RPGs were scary but not a big deal. Biggest killers were EFPs (basically like HEAT shells) and the Russian AT grenades thrown from overpasses.

I'm sure a KT could knock out an Abrams up close and at the flank but like mentioned here the optics and fire control systems are incredible and what would put it over. Not to say that other modern tanks don't have similar capabilities but you can engage so many targets within a short timeframe. As a TC, I would cover 12-3 and my gunner would cover 12-9 essentially giving us 180 degrees of coverage. There's a lot of emphasis in gunnery in trying to master that target hand off. Also, the sight we use for engagement is a 13x zoom which is far beyond what would be used in WW2.

My understanding was the most dangerous thing to an M1A2, at least during the Iraq war, was IEDs that used old 155mm artillery shells.

From what I recall reading a number Abrahams casualties were caused just by the concussive force of these things going off near the tanks.

The only thing I think that took out the M1A2 outright were Iraqi anti-aircraft pointed at tanks (I think there were two or three of those,) one loss due to an RPG-7 lighting an engine on fire, and a couple of tanks knocked out (with no casualties) during the Battle of Najaf by two “unknown” weapons (speculation is they were hit with Russian Kornet ATGMs).

There were obviously a lot more disablements, including ones which required tanks to be destroyed by other Abrahams rather than be left on the field.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

ZombieLenin posted:

My understanding was the most dangerous thing to an M1A2, at least during the Iraq war, was IEDs that used old 155mm artillery shells.

From what I recall reading a number Abrahams casualties were caused just by the concussive force of these things going off near the tanks.

The only thing I think that took out the M1A2 outright were Iraqi anti-aircraft pointed at tanks (I think there were two or three of those,) one loss due to an RPG-7 lighting an engine on fire, and a couple of tanks knocked out (with no casualties) during the Battle of Najaf by two “unknown” weapons (speculation is they were hit with Russian Kornet ATGMs).

There were obviously a lot more disablements, including ones which required tanks to be destroyed by other Abrahams rather than be left on the field.

Oh yeah, 155s are something Ive heard a lot about. Especially the daisy chained ones. EFPs were the game changer though I think because of availability and are easily constructed (pretty sure they were ceramic and melted copper or some other metal) I think a lot of those detonated under the bottom of the tank.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Ashmole posted:

Oh yeah, 155s are something Ive heard a lot about. Especially the daisy chained ones. EFPs were the game changer though I think because of availability and are easily constructed (pretty sure they were ceramic and melted copper or some other metal) I think a lot of those detonated under the bottom of the tank.

EFPs IIRC were generally set up to hit the sides. As far as I understand it, they do need a certain stand-off distance to properly form the projectile, and would generally be command-detonated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Magni posted:

EFPs IIRC were generally set up to hit the sides. As far as I understand it, they do need a certain stand-off distance to properly form the projectile, and would generally be command-detonated.

Unfortunately for the tank crews, in the thankfully pretty rare event one of those 155mm shells detonated within a few yards of the tank, the shockwave alone could kill you even if nothing penetrated the tank.