Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Zaodai posted:

I would also point out that in a zero-sum setting that the devs are predicting, if they're assuming that people would leave their current storefront to buy the game for the same price on Steam, it means that the game being on Steam inherently provides additional value to your customer just to not have to use your lovely storefront. So logically, if you are assuming that kind of mass exodus is the case, your storefront is likely causing you lost sales to start with, and you can assume you'll get more sales by being on Steam. :thunk:

It's especially stupid because if they're that worried about losing a cut of the majority of their sales... They can do a tiered release where it's exclusive to their store for ~3 months before they release on Steam. People who really want the game will buy it from them, and then once the core of their current audience has already shelled out, they do a wider release and make more money than they would otherwise... they can even do the initial release and distro through steam with keys, just calling it early access or a beta.

Which would increase interest because it would be a game people see other people playing on their friends list that they can't buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
So I did something naughty and bought Barbarossa to Berlin from GOG and, graphics and controls aside, it's a really loving good wargame. Better than I remember it being, especially now that I'm not a dumb teenager who has no idea how to play. One thing though, I could have sworn there were decals for armor hits and penetrations. Maybe it was added in by a mod or something but I swear I remember being able to see where a shell hit and penetrated on the tank. Does anyone else remember this, or am I misconstruing BB with men of war or something?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Dramicus posted:

So I did something naughty and bought Barbarossa to Berlin from GOG and, graphics and controls aside, it's a really loving good wargame. Better than I remember it being, especially now that I'm not a dumb teenager who has no idea how to play. One thing though, I could have sworn there were decals for armor hits and penetrations. Maybe it was added in by a mod or something but I swear I remember being able to see where a shell hit and penetrated on the tank. Does anyone else remember this, or am I misconstruing BB with men of war or something?

I know the newer CM titles have a mod for hit decals.

Maybe here ? http://cmmods.com/

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Yooper posted:

I know the newer CM titles have a mod for hit decals.

Maybe here ? http://cmmods.com/

Holy poo poo, they preserved all the mods from 18 years ago. Wow, that's seriously amazing.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Kind of tempted to re-buy BtB just to get a DRM-free copy and try to show battlefront that see, sensible distribution isn't so scary and maybe we can rethink your other silly practices while we're at it.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Fray posted:

Kind of tempted to re-buy BtB just to get a DRM-free copy and try to show battlefront that see, sensible distribution isn't so scary and maybe we can rethink your other silly practices while we're at it.

Yeah, I'm prob going to grab it and Afrika Corps for this reason.

Also lol according to GoG reviews, Afrika Corps doesn't even come with the latest patch. It's 1.03, not 1.04. You know, the $5 patch that made it work nice on modern systems.

You can't even buy it anymore since they scrubbed all CM1 content from their store including the paid patch.

e: I'm not sure they can legally sell their own patch. They had some weird licensing deal since some third party made it and also had to pay fees on the DRM the patch came with. Might explain why it's been conspicuously absent from the store.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 11, 2019

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Zaodai posted:

I would also point out that in a zero-sum setting that the devs are predicting, if they're assuming that people would leave their current storefront to buy the game for the same price on Steam, it means that the game being on Steam inherently provides additional value to your customer just to not have to use your lovely storefront. So logically, if you are assuming that kind of mass exodus is the case, your storefront is likely causing you lost sales to start with, and you can assume you'll get more sales by being on Steam. :thunk:

"Why would I sell my products in Walmart!? Customers can come to my house if they want it! I'm not splitting profits with no middle men!"

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

PinheadSlim posted:

"Why would I sell my products in Walmart!? Customers can come to my house if they want it! I'm not splitting profits with no middle men!"

When you're producing physical goods, this is actually not automatically a good thing.

In order to meet Walmart or another large retailers needs for product you have to ramp up production to such an extent that you then give Walmart or whoever extensive leverage when it comes to loving you via death by a thousand cuts of your of margins later on down the line now that you NEED them to move all the product you're producing.

But none of that applies to a digital good with a relatively fixed price, that has already been incurred, other than minimal maintenance via patching and stuff.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Also lol according to GoG reviews, Afrika Corps doesn't even come with the latest patch. It's 1.03, not 1.04. You know, the $5 patch that made it work nice on modern systems.

For what it's worth, 1.04 was a patch for a problem introduced by Vista specifically that Nvidia and AMD also fixed in drivers less than a month after 1.04 was released. 1.04 doesn't matter at all, and the GOG versions work fantastically out of the box on Windows 10. I'm not sure what that dude's got going on, but 1.04 wasn't a matter of framerates anyway - it was artifacting.

All of the CMx1 games on GOG come with some kind of custom ddrawl.dll and DX-config program that is clearly doing a lot of lift for the old engine. You can do AA, ansitropic filtering, and it automatically locks the aspect ratio so you don't have to dig into your display settings to do it. They've managed to add fog back to the games, which were missing since whatever method they used stopped working in newer ddraw versions.

These releases are honestly as good as those games will ever get. The only major problem I have with the games are that the camera controls are archaic as gently caress. I wish they'd bite the loving bullet and dive back in to add loving scrollwheel support.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 12, 2019

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Nice, Field of Glory Empires out 11 July. Guessing it will be $40.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Armored Brigade's Steam page is up, but release date still TBD. Matrix purchased license keys can also be redeemed on Steam.

Squiggle posted:

These releases are honestly as good as those games will ever get. The only major problem I have with the games are that the camera controls are archaic as gently caress. I wish they'd bite the loving bullet and dive back in to add loving scrollwheel support.

Yeah I take back what I said after trying the GoG version for a bit. Runs a hell of a lot better than anything I could squeeze out of my old Barbarossa to Berlin disc copy. With scrollwheel and widescreen support it'd be perfect.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 13, 2019

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Matrix Games sent me a 11% off promo code for being a member for 3 years.

Can anyone recommend a decent, affordable came from their catalog that has really strong AI capabilities? To the extent that the AI almost plays the game for you? I'm looking for a game that you can almost put on auto-pilot for when I want to play but also veg out a little.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Panama Red posted:

Matrix Games sent me a 11% off promo code for being a member for 3 years.

Can anyone recommend a decent, affordable came from their catalog that has really strong AI capabilities? To the extent that the AI almost plays the game for you? I'm looking for a game that you can almost put on auto-pilot for when I want to play but also veg out a little.

Distant Worlds. Which is also on Steam btw. Fully automatable space 4x. Can automate literally all of it if you want. You can set the level of automation, too. The AI can just do things or can ask you yes/no to approve first.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I would kill for a Distant Worlds sequel/upgrade, god drat is that my favorite loving 4x of all time. The AI is very very capable.

As he said, you can let the AI take over ANY aspect of your empire, but this guide was extremely useful for me in learning how to actually play all parts of it.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Dramicus posted:

Nope never had hit decals and they've only been in the new ones for a short time too. You might be thinking of Theater of War.

It's kind of annoying that as old as the original combat mission trilogy is it's still (I think) the only 3d game that models spreading ground fire (not counting men of war arcade type games).

I don't understand the break even thing for putting the old games on Steam, no ones buying it now and even with Valves cut it's free to upload your game onto their store. They could release the same version as gog that works fine and offer little to no support or anything and some people might buy it so they'd get a little money instead of none, are they saying taxes and sales duty would eat up to much?

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 14, 2019

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Why is this Kaiveng invasion having such a hard time getting off the beach? Why is everyone 100 prepared for Kiafeng? Why ask why?!?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So in ATG, how does supply over water work? Do I need to build ships for it? Who do I assign the ships to?

E: found the answer, it happens automatically

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jun 15, 2019

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
I’ve picked up Witp again. I think the AI is making me lazy, instead of island hopping, the easiest way to beat it is via land through PNG and Burma to Singapore.

Is the trek through the Marshalls worth it?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Woodchip posted:

Is the trek through the Marshalls worth it?

Neither they nor the Gilberts are really worth the effort if you've got a well established supply route around them.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Wrecked a big BB fleet bombarding PM, and decided to stay one extra turn to hit the shipping in the Solomons

pre:
Morning Air attack on TF, near Deboyne Islands at 103,134

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid detected at 37 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 14 minutes

Japanese aircraft
      A6M2 Zero x 52

Allied aircraft
      F4F-3 Wildcat x 22
      F4F-4 Wildcat x 17
      SBC-4 Helldiver x 17
      SBD-3 Dauntless x 45
      TBD-1 Devastator x 15

Japanese aircraft losses
      A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
      F4F-3 Wildcat: 6 destroyed
      F4F-4 Wildcat: 6 destroyed
      SBC-4 Helldiver: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged
      SBD-3 Dauntless: 3 destroyed, 13 damaged
      SBD-3 Dauntless: 1 destroyed by flak
      TBD-1 Devastator: 3 destroyed
      TBD-1 Devastator: 1 destroyed by flak

Japanese Ships
      CV Junyo, Bomb hits 2,  on fire
      CV Zuikaku
      CV Hiryu
      CV Shokaku
      DD Shikinami

--
Morning Air attack on TF, near Rossel Island at 106,137

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 30 minutes

Japanese aircraft
      A6M2 Zero x 20
      B5N2 Kate x 29
      D3A1 Val x 35

Allied aircraft
      F4F-3 Wildcat x 12

Japanese aircraft losses
      A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed
      D3A1 Val: 8 damaged
      D3A1 Val: 2 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
      F4F-3 Wildcat: 2 destroyed

Allied Ships
      CV Saratoga, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 2,  on fire,  heavy damage
      CV Hornet, Bomb hits 4, Torpedo hits 2,  on fire,  heavy damage
      CL Helena, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 1,  on fire
      DD Walke
      DD Sims
      CA Louisville, Bomb hits 2
      CA Portland, Bomb hits 2,  on fire
      CLAA Atlanta, Bomb hits 1

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Rossel Island at 106,137

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid detected at 73 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 27 minutes

Japanese aircraft
      A6M2 Zero x 19
      B5N2 Kate x 47
      D3A1 Val x 37

Allied aircraft
      no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
      B5N2 Kate: 2 damaged
      D3A1 Val: 5 damaged
      D3A1 Val: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
      F4F-3 Wildcat: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
      CV Hornet, Bomb hits 8, and is sunk
      CV Saratoga, Torpedo hits 1,  on fire,  heavy damage
      CL Helena, Bomb hits 1,  on fire,  heavy damage
      CA Portland, Torpedo hits 3,  on fire,  heavy damage
      CA Louisville, Torpedo hits 1,  on fire
      DD Henley
      CLAA Atlanta, Bomb hits 1,  on fire
      DD Sims
      DD McCall

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Slowly but surely starting to make some new nations for Armored Brigade. Starting with Egypt and Israel (mainly because Egypt was nation #1 in SPMBT Mobhack where I'm grabbing a lot of data from). I'm also expanding things from 1950-1995 instead of the base 65-91. Making units themselves is actually extremely quick, but cranking out ammunition, and making the formations and assigning them to nations is a real pain in the rear end. Each slight variation in ammo type or optics is an entirely new unit. Hell, since accuracy is assigned based on ammunition a gun getting a different rangefinder means three or four new ammo types need to be made even if it's the same shell.

I'm going to have to skip over some stuff for Israel. SPBMT has like eleven variations of the Magach 6 for example, and there's no way in hell I'm making 33 formations (Platoon, Company, HQ) and like 40 ammo types just for one variant of a Patton.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 16, 2019

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Slowly but surely starting to make some new nations for Armored Brigade. Starting with Egypt and Israel (mainly because Egypt was nation #1 in SPMBT Mobhack where I'm grabbing a lot of data from). I'm also expanding things from 1950-1995 instead of the base 65-91. Making units themselves is actually extremely quick, but cranking out ammunition, and making the formations and assigning them to nations is a real pain in the rear end. Each slight variation in ammo type or optics is an entirely new unit. Hell, since accuracy is assigned based on ammunition a gun getting a different rangefinder means three or four new ammo types need to be made even if it's the same shell.

I'm going to have to skip over some stuff for Israel. SPBMT has like eleven variations of the Magach 6 for example, and there's no way in hell I'm making 33 formations (Platoon, Company, HQ) and like 40 ammo types just for one variant of a Patton.

Nice, it would be great to fight out some 6-day war scenarios. You can skimp on the Pattons so long as you get all the Merkavas, we need as many sexy MBTs as we can get.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Woodchip posted:

Wrecked a big BB fleet bombarding PM, and decided to stay one extra turn to hit the shipping in the Solomons

Yeeowch dude, I'm sorry.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Anyone else try Barbaroja? I saw it now has AI so I picked it up and shortly after refunded it. The interface is super clunky and I didn't have a terribly good idea of what the hell was going on. I liked the WEGO part, but I'd get pop ups in Spanish so I'm not sure WTF I was doing.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

mllaneza posted:

Yeeowch dude, I'm sorry.

Subs got the Shokaku on the way back, but losing 2 CVs slows things down a lot. I'n down to Lexington and Yorktown, and whatever UK CVs show up.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Hermes to the rescue!! :downsgun:

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Anyone got any good guides for combat mission? specifically Black Sea, getting slightly annoyed at 2 man teams killing an entire section. .

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Anyone got any good guides for combat mission? specifically Black Sea, getting slightly annoyed at 2 man teams killing an entire section. .

I too would like to know why my soldiers spray randomly in the vague direction of the enemy while their soldiers seem to calmly headshot my guys one by one.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Dramicus posted:

I too would like to know why my soldiers spray randomly in the vague direction of the enemy while their soldiers seem to calmly headshot my guys one by one.

It's because you're a loving idiot if you don't agree you need to spend 300 hours testing various options and documenting them before I call you a loving idiot again and maybe fix the problem two years later you loving idiot.

Signed: Steve from battlefront.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Ps. When we fix it, we'll charge you a tenner for it.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

MonkeyLibFront posted:

I like this guy's videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olvQDH8HCIM

They go into a bit of detail about how units are organized and what each weapon is capable of and whatnot. He doesn't have anything on the Russians yet but there is one on Syrian mechanized forces which are pretty similar, just with older equipment.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Ivan Shitskin posted:

They go into a bit of detail about how units are organized and what each weapon is capable of and whatnot. He doesn't have anything on the Russians yet but there is one on Syrian mechanized forces which are pretty similar, just with older equipment.

That is a good video, thanks Ivan!

I've been playing CMFB lately. FB needs less SS and more Volkssturm. I hate it in the scenarios where the map is like a puzzle for you to negotiate with a perfectly positioned opponent at every choke point.

Battlefront just did a patch, not sure what all it covered. Was free too.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Ivan Shitskin posted:

Thanks, I've seen a few of his videos, haven't seen these ones, I'm getting pissed at putting arcs in to a building, using hunt in to the first room and yet they still get slotted one by one by a two man scout team.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Unimpressed posted:

It's because you're a loving idiot if you don't agree you need to spend 300 hours testing various options and documenting them before I call you a loving idiot again and maybe fix the problem two years later you loving idiot.

Signed: Steve from battlefront.

W-what if I buy another module? W-would that fix it?

Also how does spotting work? Why can't my APC commander see the BMP that's literally 15 meters in front him, in the open. Also he's unbuttoned and staring at it. I went down to eye level and it literally takes up 3/4 of his view. Like he would have to put more effort in to not seeing it. Hell, he could probably smell the vodka and hear the crew singing Kalinka over the engine noise at that distance.

And why is there a voice in the Bradley's engine sound recording?

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 19, 2019

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Thanks, I've seen a few of his videos, haven't seen these ones, I'm getting pissed at putting arcs in to a building, using hunt in to the first room and yet they still get slotted one by one by a two man scout team.

Yeah room clearing is probably one of the most difficult things to do in those games, especially if it's a really large building. I think it's best to avoid room clearing entirely. Try blowing up the entire building first, or at least the outer sections of it, exposing the interior. If you can't blow it up, try to bypass it or surround the building before going in. If you can't surround it and have absolutely no choice but to go in and try to storm an occupied building from the front, try stacking up multiple squads against the outer wall and then have them shoot into the building at close range for a while. They will throw grenades and use a lot of ammo but some of the bullets will end up going through into the deeper sections, hopefully suppressing the guys back there. After a minute or so of firing, cease fire and then rush into the building fast, before any suppression wears off. It's better to use multiple small teams for this rather than big squads. I like to have one small team assigned to each building section, with plenty of other guys in support right behind them. Even then you will still take casualties now and then because urban combat sucks.

Dramicus posted:

Also how does spotting work? Why can't my APC commander see the BMP that's literally 15 meters in front him, in the open. Also he's unbuttoned and staring at it. I went down to eye level and it literally takes up 3/4 of his view. Like he would have to put more effort in to not seeing it. Hell, he could probably smell the vodka and hear the crew singing Kalinka over the engine noise at that distance.

I would suggest backing off a bit. 15 meters is way, way too close. Weird things tend to happen when units are extremely close to each other like that. Since the game doesn't model gun elevations and tanks can do things like fire at the upper floors of a tall building at point blank range, they compensated for it by making it take an extremely long time to acquire targets at close range. This allows infantry to do things like rush a tank and knock it out with grenades or satchel charges without the tank being able to do anything about it, since the tank would not be able to lower its gun far enough or even see the infantry next to it. Some weapons also have minimum ranges as well. So weird things happen at close range but 99% of the time you would never notice because engagement ranges are normally measured in hundreds or thousands of meters.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Ivan Shitskin posted:

I would suggest backing off a bit. 15 meters is way, way too close. Weird things tend to happen when units are extremely close to each other like that. Since the game doesn't model gun elevations and tanks can do things like fire at the upper floors of a tall building at point blank range, they compensated for it by making it take an extremely long time to acquire targets at close range. This allows infantry to do things like rush a tank and knock it out with grenades or satchel charges without the tank being able to do anything about it, since the tank would not be able to lower its gun far enough or even see the infantry next to it. Some weapons also have minimum ranges as well. So weird things happen at close range but 99% of the time you would never notice because engagement ranges are normally measured in hundreds or thousands of meters.

This was on the shock force mission where you have to defend a castle from an attack, so I had an ifv with a 20mm gun waiting behind a building to shoot at anything that drove past. A BMP drove right in front of my ifv and sat there for a good minute and a half before it spotted my weasel and popped it.

My weasel sat there for a minute doing nothing, then I unbuttoned the commander, who sat there for 30 seconds before blowing up. My ifv also knew it was there due to radio coms, but couldn't actually see it.

Good tips though, I'll keep that in mind next time.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I hate these games.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Dramicus posted:

This was on the shock force mission where you have to defend a castle from an attack, so I had an ifv with a 20mm gun waiting behind a building to shoot at anything that drove past. A BMP drove right in front of my ifv and sat there for a good minute and a half before it spotted my weasel and popped it.

My weasel sat there for a minute doing nothing, then I unbuttoned the commander, who sat there for 30 seconds before blowing up. My ifv also knew it was there due to radio coms, but couldn't actually see it.

Good tips though, I'll keep that in mind next time.

Ah I remember that scenario. There were some crazy things that happened there when the Syrians tried to drive a bunch of their vehicles directly into the tiny, cramped castle courtyard. Good times.

Usually vehicles are spotted almost instantly the moment they drive out into the open at medium ranges, but when vehicles pop up literally right next to each other I've seen weird stuff exactly like that happen, though it's rare enough that I've only seen it happen a handful of times after years of playing those games.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Combat mission.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Graviteam is superior because if this scenario was played in that game, your warrior would have seen the enemy IFV. However your gunner would have chosen not to shoot for reasons relating to morale or training or equipment, and the result would have been the same.