Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Here's a fun story: Since I've moved between a couple european countries, my PayPal account is locked bc it can't move with me, and I just haven't bothered sorting it out. This means...
I can't buy RTW2. They only accept PayPal processing. In 2019.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

You can just use a debit or credit card without logging in to PayPal.

Actually can't. I tried it.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

An apt description. I still want the drat game though.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Knowing how absolute bloody murder the VT fuze was for Japanese aircraft late war (and any, and every, other prop plane that would have flown against it), methinks AA is severely understrenght in the current version.

Btw the purchasing process works ok now. It's still dumb, but it works.

it's so dumb

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

Bought RTW2 yesterday evening, still waiting on the email 14 hours later.

Took 2 days before I got mine

To be fair to the guy who owns the store though, it only took 15min for Rule the Waves 1 when that was new. So I guess he used to be better at it back then. Almost like this system doesn't scale well
:thunk:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

It's because the game will tell you immediately when your ship is kaputt, but not when the enemy's is. Ie, you only get told about the hostile ship sinking once it's already under the surface, but about yours as soon as it's clear it's going to be under the surface (eventually).

And yep, that 'realistic' game element drives me up the wall too.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Just downloaded, using the second code HF[four]

How and where do you want feedback?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Yes, its unbelievably satisfying. Get out of here stalker carrier. I love Atlantic Fleet :keke:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

There's also that unbelievable tension in a well implemented nuclear theme. The kind that can't be described in words

but perfectly in one movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXldafIl5DQ

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

This though, is good. Would it also be too much to ask for PTO2 style monthly cabinet meetings?

Now I want a grog game with cabinet meetings from "Yes, minister" or "Veep"

E: Or from "the thick of it"

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Or Open General, which is literally open source Panzer General II with 50 built in total conversion mods. I really liked the vietnamese campaign from the north's side, do recommend.

Speaking of;
There really is a underexplored lack of games placing you in the Việt Minh's shoes against the French or even more obviously as the north against the US and the south. There is so much you could get from that outlook and so so much you could do with design.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Well... how 'bout the same idea, but Vietnam? Play as the NVA or Viet Cong / Viet Minh in the '50ies? Achievement in the face of incredible odds would be the central game premise.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I liked the first Unity of Command much better than II. Much cleaner in design, much less obnoxious clutter.

Germany in Rule the Waves 1/2 is alot like France, but without any need to juggle different forces around the world (at first, before you take englands colonies or Alabama from the US). That said, you can fight as any nation and just say 'gently caress it's to protecting anything but your home waters and still win a war easily. Try it!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

pedro0930 posted:

So I got a chance to play some Panzer Corps 2 and it's looking good so far. As far as I can tell it's almost a 100% recreation of Panzer Corps 1 with new 3D engine and bells and whistles such as a trait system that can really changes up your play style. For example, you can give all your tanks river crossing capability or the ability to cancel out enemy zone of control, or recieving limited amount of random prototypes early. Game runs smooth, animation is snappy, so far pretty good first impression.

How does it compare to Panzer General 2? Any differences, or is it almost like a HD remake?

And as for a flag for a communist england, google "kaiserreich Union of Britain" for a couple good ones. Otherwise if you have a specific request, I can whip one up for ye

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Splode posted:

Ultimate Kerbal: Dreadnaught

This. This is the perfect description I've been looking for to post on their forums. This is the game I want.

They should make it possible to set exactly where in the hull the main belt starts and ends, and where the magazines are and the machinery spaces. They should make the aft superstructure able to clip into the front structure so we get a seamless whole.
That's it. Do that and the design game is complete, only campaign left and then the game is exceptional.

Btw, RTW2 will get missiles in the next update. poo poo's about to get much messier.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

One difference between UoC1 and 2 is that 2 contains several scenarios I have no interest in ever playing again (Clear the Scheldt...). Being essentially dependent on the dice roll if you can reduce and shift an entrenched defender in time felt like a rare thing in 1; between double entrenchment, turn one objectives, larger maps and tighter time limits it feels a lot more common and more arbitrary...

This x million. Made me downright sad after having bought the game.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Popete posted:

Is CMSF2 a new game or just CMSF with an engine update?

CMSF with a patch. Are the scenarios new? Anyone who owns both and can check?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Panzeh posted:

Modern games

Panzer General 2 did the same things better with comparable graphics, and that is never not astounding to me whenever a new operational level game is released.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

V for Vegas posted:

Warplan Pacific looks interesting

https://twitter.com/Matrix_Wargames/status/1332731518377193472

Has 50mile hexes. Isn't 1 unit per hex like Strategic Command.

Panama isn't on the map. That's one clue to where the games mechanical focus is.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

And if the explosion is big enough and the rocket slow-fast enough, you could intercept a formation by ballistic calc and fuze it with an egg timer.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Here's a fresh example for the flip side on UI, graphics, and depth in wargames - and it's funded with Microprose money like everything else new. Obviously shmup-lite "High Fleet" here isn't grog, but drat it if this isn't exactly what would turn a Rule the Waves 3 over into mass market.

Hadn't seen the operational layer before so thats my excuse for posting it here. Seems like there's a ship design module included so fan made ships might fix the flying box problem like the almost identically designed Airships: Conquer the Skies has done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n411Tz6dAKw

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

fuf posted:

Basically I want exactly this scale but with control abstracted to a slightly higher level so there are fewer units to micro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S04jmj-Qms

Couldn't agree more. By now there has to be generations of people who's wished for drawing big arrows on a battlefield coupled with the wanted behaviour for/at that arrow, and your on-map troops being divided on 5-8 ai lieutenants. You as commander would then only be semi-microing 5-8 3xbattalion sized events at a time, instead of 800+ platoons like some games. If you could still transfer singular battalions etc between those sub commands the design should create enough "fire brigade" micro to feel satisfying.
Makes you think Paradox HoI 3/4 style orders would feel very natural at battlefield scale don't it? Would even potentially feel more natural there than on grand strategy.

Ultimate General is very very close, but with the simple kind of orders available (it's almost only move right? Haven't played it in forever) units gently caress up way to much especially under fire. Paradox really made something brilliant in the combat stanced orders in HoI 4.
I see you

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 18, 2021

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

SoW is like EVE or something in how everything written about it is good and everything about playing it is bad

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

On the subject - Il-2 (Battle of Stalingrad series) Tank Crew is a truly fantastic tank sim, most realistic I've played besides Steel Beasts. Haven't had time to play it since release but even in the beta it was truly beyond. It's really good at demonstrating hard to convey items like 3 man turrets and good optics etc. Or turrets at all even. Running shock with a su-122 platoon is really rather nice.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Gewehr 43 posted:

I maintain that Tank Crew will forever be an "armor simulator, lite" unless and until they introduce infantry. They won't, so it will likely never leave that state. As a tank driving and shooting simulator, it's cool, but it's also pretty bland in my opinion.

Can't really argue with that. But. It is good for 4+ vehicle tactics in MP facing other armour.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Popete posted:

It's apparently in the works but yeah we'll see if it actually pans out. If they do implement them it'll probably be fairly basic but could still add to the immersion aspect and if they have anti-tank rifles/panzerfaust that would be pretty cool as well.

Hell, molotovs. Finding yourself in an ambush with AT mines on a narrow forest road fork etc would bring the point across.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Flannelette posted:

Yes and only the US and some of the UK tanks had anything close to ergonomics in my experience, the Russian ones were too small for me to even get in and the German ones made me sit at funny crooked angles to look through the sights or balance on a tiny seat to stand up.

Rotating magnified optics proved more useful or why would all postwar tanks add them as well as a vision block cupola. Being able to see 360o isn't useful if the enemy is too far away to see with the eye and the gun can't be precisely lay onto it when you do see it.
The design problem with the WW2 German sights was in the layout of the glass which dissipated too much light which is easy to see looking through their tank sight and comparing it to their straight AT gun sight. On the opposite side the Russian design was good but had bad quality glass from the early loss of their supply of optic glass.

For the PTAB
I think the problem is you have to fly too low to be accurate with it,
Only video of it I know of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_huv58MGYE
If you look at the spread compared to the planes height, it would miss everything smaller than a ship of very unlucky tank unless you flew right above the ground where everyone can shoot you.

OK. Question time. Why are some of you talking about the prisms like in how good they are for longer ranged spotting? Or seeing anything anyplace but the immediate vicinity? Everyone had world class optics in their binoculars and you sure gently caress had those with you. That's what you are expected to use for spotting the enemy. You're not sitting down as the commander, your going to be standing up looking for the enemy constantly, that is the cornerstone of your job. Otherwise there won't even be anything left to court martial. Far as I know this didn't start changing until the good IRV sensors of the mid-late 80's onwards.
They don't put the tiny thunderclouds of anger in the tanks because we're cowards son :clint:

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 27, 2021

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Would overpressure from a close but not direct bomb explosion be a concern for a WW2 tank crew?

I assume you're thinking of "could this big blast of air pressure near you, kill you, if you're inside a non-NBC hardened box?" Answer is like everything else "it depends", but; in generalised
WW2 tanky-battlefield terms, No. A big hardened metal box is very very good at withstanding pressue from outside, much like an egg. Your ears aren't etc. but the difference between being on the inside and outside is immense.

Now, if you moved that pressure inside the box...

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Mans posted:

Wouldn't a direct explosive shell from something like an ISU-152 or an American 155 artillery gun be a really bad day for you even inside a tank?

1. What box are you in
2. Most boxes cracked from that, with a result again much like an egg
3. The Q was originally about the "near miss" situation => a direct hit from a 15cm gun is a whole box full of bullshit to be in :)

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

This is the time I wish I knew the technical details about how the hispano suizza 12Y changed into the VK10x series powering all the Yakovlevs.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

The Hoi4 production system don't have separate component production or set geographical location. I don't want to micro it, but I do want to see the consequences of bombing or occupying say an aircraft engine plant like in witp

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Highfleet has pig simple UI compared to a grog game hahaha

It feels like a "little" game with a handful very inspired minigames integrated inside the UI, while the strategic decisions plays like a mechanically nice dungeon crawler? balancing very scarce resources towards your goal. I've had a lot of fun with most of it but the combat is very easy.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Nenonen posted:

It seems to me like it seeks inspiration from Sid Meier's Pirates! which isn't exactly grog game territory, but I loved the original Pirates. Simple yet fun tactical combat(s) and a strategic layer that keeps it interesting. It even has the "have a fleet of ships, fight with one of them at a time" system that Pirates! had.

That's an apt comparison. Pirates with more resource pressure and a forced immediate goal. It doesn't promote the same air of free roaming or looking for adventure at will though. Something should be said about all the weapons being directly inspired by soviet materiel from 1960-80 and a lone saab J29 (including the mig Ye-8 of all things)

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 23, 2021

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Yooper posted:

I wish there was an RPG command layer, I'm terrible at actually flying and fighting and would rather just play shipbuilder and commander.

Agreed, Higfleet mixed with any flavour of rule the waves would be a thing to remember.

The long range missile game is basically copied from torpedo launching in Red Tide Rising/Cold Waters

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I've spent like total 10h making "we have s-tank at home" versions of s-tanks and it was wonderful. This game has some high-powered potential.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Mans posted:

maybe this is not the appropriate thread, but would modern jet fighters even be able to fight ww2 propeller fighters decently? I assume the sonic boom would be enough to kick them out of the sky, buy lining up shots must be hell.

(Assuming they don't obliterate them over the horizon with missiles, but lets assume they want to play with them first)

Yes, without to much trouble. They wouldn't be curve fighting much but even a fat rear end F-15 is plenty agile enough for guns in a pass. Beyond that computer assisted aiming has been very capable for decades, inside a game it would be literally cheating or even aimboting with some irl implementations.

E.fb

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 25, 2021

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

Could any afv from WW2 kill an Abrams? An ISU-152 maybe?

What model of Abrams specifically? :nsa:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I want a Ching Shih simulator

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Boar It posted:

I've got both WoR and Holdfast and I would say that WoR is easily the superior game if you prefer realism and immersion. Holdfast is a more polished M&B Napoleonic Wars and is quite goofy as a whole, but War of Rights is fantastic when it all comes together. Yeah there are people on the confederate side that tend to take things a bit too seriously when it comes to.. "roleplaying". But from my experience people are pretty quick to tell them to shut up, and in general people are just bantering and having a good time while playing together. I only play on public servers and it has been overall a great time so it is easy to recommend in my opinion. However it is quite rough around the edges, but it is still worth it. It usually goes on sale for half its usual price during every steam sale.

Ashmole posted:

...yeah. The confederate players are 100 percent not roleplaying. Most racist game I've ever played.

That there is hell of a thing to read.
I guess that means it's a moral imperative now to buy it and start a goon-union only clan? It's actually tempting and I did not expect that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Lum_ posted:

Start here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Cause_of_the_Confederacy

“State’s rights” is what pro-Confederates use to justify the war, which was 100% about preserving slavery.

The name’s a dog whistle, intentionally or not. It’s akin to making a FPS set in WW2 Europe and calling it “Living Space In The East”.

Oh no it's much worse than that. "States Rights" is like saying ww2 wasn't for genocide and exterminational land annexation but actually "expressing our individuality", yet it was the most professed story of the acw for a major part of the 20th century.

The entire idea of an online shooter based around Napoleonic era combat is so alien to me I wondered how in the hell could that even possibly work, "drat I'm curious now that this guy says it's good sometimes". And the other players are the most vile people imaginable? And you can computer-game-shoot them and make them angry? The same constituent parts sound horrible and not entirely bad at the same time.

Should go without saying it's more morbid curiosity than anything else.