Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Alchenar posted:

When was the last time anyone posted about RTW2?

Clearly RTW2 needs a new, more insane copy-protection scheme to generate some fresh buzz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
Steam sale is underway and Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa is 70% off right now. Some recent posts in this thread made it look interesting. At that price, I'll check it out...

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

It's a really great game

I should be working right now so I bought, poked around for 5 minutes, and will try to get into it over the weekend. The only snag is it's Windows only and the only friend I have who might conceivably play with me has a Mac. The true grog experience: buying cool-looking games you will never play with another human being.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

DC:B is fun so far although a lot of work to play a turn.

I just lost about 1/3 of a turn's progress discovering a super awesome bug, if you click on the Diary while you are watching the last turn's history, you can't escape the history screen (or save your game or do anything).

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

gazza posted:

It kills me that there hasn't been a single mech-focused game, not even one indie project, that covers anything beyond the level of controlling one individual mech and maybe a wingman or two. The Battletech universe alone is full of huge strategic engagements involving mech regiments and divisions or even mech armies. I can only conclude that strategic mecha poo poo interests literally no one else, and apparently man-robot interaction on the individual level is the only thing that anyone ever cares about, but come on.

BattleForce? BattleForce 2?

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

uPen posted:

The absolute last thing I want to do is play 10 more years of pre-dreadnought battles, not even getting into how much I dislike the planes in rtw2.

Excited to build this bad boy

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

Some questions:

1. When do you guys usually change the posture of your infantry armies? I moved my PGs off of Blitzkrieg posture a few turns in to conserve fuel, but all of my infantry armies are still on Blitzkrieg. It's not going to be fun to eat the PP and turn of disruption to get them onto Sustained Offensive.

2. Is there any way to see how much Fatigue a division has accumulated? The manual describes the effects but I can't find it in the UI.

3. How does the Reinforcement card you get for the 2nd Army's arrival in AGC work? I get that you can place the HQ unit at a position of your choice, but when and how do the actual combat divisions show up?

4. I am going to need to refit my trucks soon, which seems like a gigantic pain in the rear end that will kill any offensive momentum. Any tips on managing that process? My trucks in AGS especially are not doing well.

Novice trying to answer here:

1. I've only played a couple of games against the AI but I think I switched over around the point where you are at now. Note that Blitzkrieg posture also adds fatigue to your infantry...

2. Select the unit and hit the "R" report button.

3. The turn after you put down the HQ, the divisions have a percentage chance of arriving as reinforcements, like other reinforcing divisions do. Make sure to keep the HQ in a city, which doubles the chance of each division arriving. This is how Soviet reinforcements are handled as well.

4. I don't really understand the truck refit option. It seems to cost a lot of PP but is that all it costs? Like does it pull existing trucks off the line and reduce the flow to my panzer groups until they're fixed?

I've seen a couple of people looking for PBEM buddies to play DC:B in this thread. I'd be interested in playing Soviets in a human vs human game, because the computer playing as Germany seems to outrageously cheat and can make inroads far, far faster than I can as a human playing Germany. A bit afraid of the time commitment and I can't promise super fast turnaround, but if anyone is more on the novice end and would like to play, let me know. I have never actually played a full game out to completion - as the Germans playing on easy mode I have captured Leningrad and Rostov in late October and am closing in on Moscow, but that is as far as I've gotten. As Soviets I've only made it in 9-10 turns before getting frustrated at the magic panzers who don't need fuel or army cohesion.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a fully-loaded 747 crashing with no survivors—for ever.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

pointsofdata posted:

Yeah same. From the ~~discourse~~ I thought it was going to be a tricky topic with lots of nuance but there's loads of quotes from all the important southerners about how it's all about slavery. When they talk about "honour" it's because someone said slavery is bad, "northern aggression" is not allowing slavery in new territories, and "states rights" is actually just the right to own people - they don't think it extends to other states right to enforce personal liberty laws etc. Just all complete bullshit

The history isn't actually nuanced at all, but from 1865 onward there was an aggressive and concerted effort by the losing side to pretend that the war was fought over anything other than slavery.

Even a show as progressive as The Simpsons, in 1996, had this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFwHQYDqf6c

...in which the joke is that Apu is smart because he understands all the nuance behind the causes of the Civil War, and the bureaucrat is expecting a dumbed-down answer. In fact the mindless bureaucrat is right and Apu has clearly been reading too much Confederate apologia.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

Edit: wrong thread.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

Nenonen posted:

I'm not sure why there would have been a need to cover up the existence and use of radars in 1947 or later, they were already a thing before WW2 and everyone used them in the war and they also developed warning systems and counter measures (chaff).

I remember reading some old Time-Life book bought at a yard sale as a kid, that had pictures of US WWII battleships with the radar antennae whited out. Book was probably from the ‘60s. Can’t let the Russkies know about cutting edge technology from two decades ago!

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

Nenonen posted:

Maybe some day we'll be blessed with an Oregon Trail remake with the same attention to details. Gotta see my colonists shart themselves to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

Do you then get passed over for promotion and forced to retire?

You get relieved of command. Then you run for president against your former commander-in-chief on a peace platform, but you lose.