Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
cross posting from 'help us identify a game' thread, since we're stumped for once:

There was a game I used to play a couple of years back, probably on android or maybe PC (though I doubt it). I think it was recommended to me here on something awful, so I hope someone recognises my description.

"It was a simulator /management game where you controlled a medieval era mercenary company, similar to the strategic layer of xcom or football manager or the diamond dogs parts of MGS5. You hired different types of units like sappers or cavalry to form squads that you sent on different kinds of missions to earn more money, hire better troops and so on. I remember it was all done through menus and had a very brown colour pallet, and I think the name was something Company or Company of something."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

that sounds like Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance

A couple of years back would mean 2015-2017, not the nineties, but neat suggestion! Please keep 'em coming.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I'm looking for a relatively casual WW2 game to crack open some spare time with. I like grand strategy but not complicated mechanics, HoI is a nightmare for me, for example. I enjoy logistics at the level of stuff like Panzer General. Any suggesions?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Q_res posted:

Have you taken a look at Panzer Corps? It's basically a modern Panzer General.

I play all the Panzer Corps :mil101:

This looks interesting! Thanks a lot!

Tias
May 25, 2008

I ended up splurging for SC: World at War, but I'm actually stumped by it.

Are there any kind of website, tutorial or strategy guide I can look at? I get the general concept, but there's a lot of stuff to handle at once :ohdear:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Steam has a Paradox Sale. Are there any strategy games I have to try while it's on?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Alchenar posted:

*shrugs* Battletech? I presume that by 'strategy' you are ironically not including the core Paradox titles because they're mostly good and you should own them but that's a paradox megathread question.

I'll go there, then :o Thanks for the heads up!

Tias
May 25, 2008

ZombieLenin posted:

Which makes it even weirder a Danish salvage company got away with pulling stuff off of British Jutland wrecks, which are both official war graves and still the property of the United Kingdom.

Only if you ignore the fact that every Danish government in the last 30 years have been xenophobic dicks that think they own the world.. Or, wait, when did it happen?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Someone just gave me MBT, Panzer Blitz! and Wooden Ship - Iron Men. Are they playable, or will I drown in counters on hexes? :ohdear:

Tias
May 25, 2008

gazza posted:

Also, having played the Cauldron of War beta, it's a pretty neat simple Barbarossa game that nevertheless does a good job of capturing the feel of the campaign. In a lot of ways it feels like a super duper streamlined version of Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa. It also doesn't shy away from acknowledging German war crimes, which Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa really seemed to gloss over.

Can you or someone else explain how to play Cauldron of War? I got the beta, and used the tutorial and am now in-game, but it's really confusing. Even straight up assault moves and shelling seem to cause very little damage and 0% advancement of operation, and I often get "exposed flanks" tags on my units which I'm not sure what does but is clearly a malus and I don't know how to remove it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Great stuff! I wish my good for nothing SS Volunteers wouldn't go off murdering civilians on drunken sprees, but thanks to your advice things are shaking out nicely :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

A perfectly cromulent map, Hypnobeard! :getin:

That reminds me, I should get our WW1 test game going.. So many lives are yet spared because of my inept image editing skills :v: