Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Anyone play steel division 2? I wouldn't say it's as grognardy as graviteam tactics but still a good buy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Dramicus posted:

The other thing people need to be wary of when talking about French and Russian tanks is to avoid doing exactly what the wehraboos do with panthers and tigers. Yes, the French tanks were technically superior to the German tanks, but mostly in a "world of tanks" way. Having the commander also be responsible for aiming, firing and loading the gun, in addition to not giving him a radio is the main reason for why the French armored formations got their asses kicked by the inferior (on paper) panzers. Most tank engagements don't come down to frontal armor vs penetration statistics, if that were the case the Shermans and T-34s wouldn't have done as well as they did in the late war. In 39-40, the Panzer 3 was effectively the Sherman of it's time, some would say it was easily the best tank in the world at that specific moment, and not due to its armor or firepower, but due to its operational characteristics and how it fit in with German doctrine at the time.

That was something I didn't appreciate until I actually commanded tanks. There's so much the tank commander has to do between navigating, relaying orders, making sure you're not in front of friendlies...can't imagine having to layer on shooting and loading the drat tank too.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Pharnakes posted:

I seem to remember a post overlord analysis of the Typhoons performance with rockets against tanks. Something like 80% of sorties resulted in the pilot claiming a kill, vs examination of German wrecks suggesting maybe 2-3% of sorties resulted in a tank being destroyed, and maybe 30% either disabling the tank or persuading the crew to bail into the nearest ditch. So still extremely useful, but hardly a tank killer. And the British 60lb rocket was way more powerful than the rockets used on the IL2.
https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/articles/tactics/tank-busting-ww2.php

I read something similar from this site.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Speaking of flight sims: why the gently caress are all the IL2 dlcs 50+ bucks? That's ridiculous.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Maybe I'm just used to the old days where you got an entire game engine, some planes, and some maps for $50 and then bought an expansion for $20 (like the original IL2 games). So maybe I've been out of the flight sim game for too long where something like that is considered "reasonable" compared to the alternative.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

IL2 BOS is on sale for 7 bucks, so yeah I guess all you have to do is wait.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Ashmole posted:

IL2 BOS is on sale for 7 bucks, so yeah I guess all you have to do is wait.

So this game looks incredible and is very well optimized in VR. Very pleased.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

Just a few bucks each currently. Get em.

Think you missed the chain where we were gushing about it being on sale. This game is so fun in VR. I like how I have to scoot up to the gun sight to use it properly because of the way the gun sight moves depending on where the plans is positioned.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Feeling nostalgic lately. Anyone play WWIIOL back in the day? I sometimes think about playing it again but that sub price is too much - affordable but between the other games I also play it just doesn't seem worth it.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Flying in WWIIOL is still the most intense experience I've ever had playing a game. Sweating, hands shaking so bad I can't line up a shot, my dude passing out from the g's in his flying brick of a 110. It was good times. Janky, janky good times.

I bought the game because of the strategic bombing component. In earlier builds you could delay the other sides teching so your side could have a huge advantage by fielding more advanced equipment. I think later builds just made it affect resupply.

mllaneza posted:

Yeah. I was with a good squad, we had training exercises that were actually fun (instructor spawns a tank in the middle of a field, students spawn engineers and whoever gets closest without being spotted wins), and good coordination with our side's high command. Big-map FPS games like Post Scriptum come close to that gameplay cycle, but a game extending over weeks is still to be found nowhere else.

Highlights:
Sniping at an FB with pistols, accuracy is lousy but they were impossible to localize with sound at 100m.
Setting up a range card for an 88 and wrecking allied tank columns
Multi-crewed tanks versus single-crewed tanks, you feel like such a God.
Possibly my favorite MP kill of all time. I'm on defense for a town, watching out for scouts coming from the enemy FB. I spot one about 500 yards away, just jogging across a field. He gets up to a hedgerow overlooking town, flops down, and had just pulled out his binoculars when I headshot him. I've been on the other side of running cross country for 15 or 20 minutes just to be insta-killed, so I know exactly how much that sucked to experience. It was the perfect timing of just pulling out binocs when he died that makes it sweet.

B+++ 8/10 would not likely play again
I loved doing interdiction runs in my StuG3g. I'd take that thing and sit near a road and blow up tanks to gently caress up the resupply efforts. The tanking in that game was great.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Gates of Hell: Ostfront is pretty fun so far. Multiplayer is buggy as poo poo but the single player missions are real fun. I like the ability to use the tank gun sights in first person in direct control. I also love how you need to consolidate and reorganize to resupply your dudes after a big attack, definitely takes me back to my company XO days during those parts.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Infidelicious posted:

Ugh they stuck with first person direct control?

Worst part of call to arms.

It's over the shoulder control that let's you go into first person while aiming. It can be disabled for multiplayer games.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Alchenar posted:

I was surprised to see that Steel Division 2's numbers on steamcharts are lock-step with Red Dragon. Do goons still play? Would people be up for playing?

At 66% off I'll probably hit the trigger just to see the SP, but it would be good to get the old gang back together to dunk on pubbies.

I'd be up for it. It's annoying that the dedicated servers are all 10v10 so you have to be lucky when you log in to do a MP game.

Edit: is there a goon gaming discord?

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

I watched Greyhound so now I want to play a good Uboat game. Should I get Wolfpack or Uboat? I'm tempted to get Uboat because they're looking at releasing a VR version as well.

Edit: well I missed the posts talking about this very thing

Ashmole fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 13, 2021

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

MrYenko posted:

So Radio Commander is on sale for $1.99 on steam, if anyone was holding out…

Are there portions of the game where your radio stops working for no reason and you have to yell at your XO and comms dude to refill the radio but then they inform you that the SKL dropped commsec and they need to go to BN to go get commsec so basically you're sitting there with no ability to talk to anyone

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Uboat is great so far. Thanks for the recommendation.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Didn't deploy on tanks (did my deployment as a scout) but stories from my tank PSG was pretty much that the RPGs were scary but not a big deal. Biggest killers were EFPs (basically like HEAT shells) and the Russian AT grenades thrown from overpasses.

I'm sure a KT could knock out an Abrams up close and at the flank but like mentioned here the optics and fire control systems are incredible and what would put it over. Not to say that other modern tanks don't have similar capabilities but you can engage so many targets within a short timeframe. As a TC, I would cover 12-3 and my gunner would cover 12-9 essentially giving us 180 degrees of coverage. There's a lot of emphasis in gunnery in trying to master that target hand off. Also, the sight we use for engagement is a 13x zoom which is far beyond what would be used in WW2.

Edit: I also think the success at 73 easting was mostly dumb luck on our part. McMaster stumbled into the Iraqi TAA when they weren't even on their tanks.

Ashmole fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 29, 2021

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

wins32767 posted:

They were out of the tanks to avoid getting killed via airstike.

Even so, I think it's a battle that's held in too high regard in the US military as a major tank battle for what it ended up being.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

ZombieLenin posted:

My understanding was the most dangerous thing to an M1A2, at least during the Iraq war, was IEDs that used old 155mm artillery shells.

From what I recall reading a number Abrahams casualties were caused just by the concussive force of these things going off near the tanks.

The only thing I think that took out the M1A2 outright were Iraqi anti-aircraft pointed at tanks (I think there were two or three of those,) one loss due to an RPG-7 lighting an engine on fire, and a couple of tanks knocked out (with no casualties) during the Battle of Najaf by two “unknown” weapons (speculation is they were hit with Russian Kornet ATGMs).

There were obviously a lot more disablements, including ones which required tanks to be destroyed by other Abrahams rather than be left on the field.

Oh yeah, 155s are something Ive heard a lot about. Especially the daisy chained ones. EFPs were the game changer though I think because of availability and are easily constructed (pretty sure they were ceramic and melted copper or some other metal) I think a lot of those detonated under the bottom of the tank.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Enjoying the hell out of wolfpack and Uboat. Got my friends into wolfpack and they've been tryin to learn interception techniques and stuff. I wish there were more players so we could sail with other crews.

https://youtu.be/9uCy5NZO5jw

This is also a fun channel re: hypothetical tank battles

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

I bought WOR when the George Floyd protests were happening last year and...yeah. The confederate players are 100 percent not roleplaying. Most racist game I've ever played.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Popete posted:

I was a teen when RO was really big and I joined a German SS division that was basically a bunch of Nazis. Looking back it was not a good scene but I wised up after awhile.

Basically any WW2 game where you can play as the Germans has those groups. It's part of what makes playing Soviet in any multiplayer game so fun, you are probably pissing off a bunch of literal Nazis.

There's an America "clan" on Postscriptum who only play as the Germans and have like "ss" in their tags. They were so loving weird because they would say random German words on the command voice chat.

Panzeh posted:

I always found the concept of FPS games that are about executing close order drill as one of the individual soldiers in it to be weird.

It's pretty fun when you get a good group together but there are people who do actual drills and stuff and I think that's strange.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

My friend group and I have been playing Wolfpack. I wish there was a B17 version of this game where you crew a bomber and go bomb targets. Like one guys the pilot, another is the navigator, and then another guy is a bombardier.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

I'm liking The Troop. I hope the implement MP soon.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Popete posted:

WARNO the Eugen successor to Wargame/Steel Division is out in EA today. It looks very nice.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1611600/WARNO/

Oh hell yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Alchenar posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2109370/The_Great_War_Western_Front/

One to watch. I'm getting a 'Total War meets WW1' vibe from the trailer.

Probably going to buy this on release. I need something to scratch the WW1 itch after watching "All Quiet on the Western Front"