Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Well, I just bought Shadow Empire. I usually give up/lose interest/bounce off grog games/4x games/paradox grand strategy games so this will probably not end well. I'm a little disappointed to find that the planet generation doesn't matter as much as I had hoped. I'm fighting on grassy plains on a planet with a thin xenon atmosphere :raise:. I found a bunch of GR monitor tanks in the first couple turns and they outclass the slavers that are hassling me to such an absurd degree that they can attack a whole stack on their own and get like 350:1 odds. For some reason my SHQ leader decided to lead from the front and got killed in a skirmish with unaligned forces pretty much immediately.

I'm glad I watched a few videos first, I would have had no idea what was going on otherwise. I'm enjoying it though, I might actually stick with this one for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Kvlt! posted:

I bought the DC: B physical manual and I have no regrets.

I wish they'd make a Shadow Empire physical manual. I might just take it to a printing store and put it in a binder. There's something about having a physical manual that makes playing grog games sm fun.

Ha, the fact that I can get a physical manual for DC:B has just clinched the purchase. Next time it's on sale. Shadow Empire has impressed me enough that I want to see VR's more traditional stuff. Maybe they will make a physical manual for Shadow Empire after Vic is done adding major features? There's supposed to be another big update this year that adds naval stuff.

I pushed my mobile militia into a lightly irradiated unaligned wasteland and right as they were reaching the end of the supply line they spotted a weird brothel in the middle of a high radiation zone lol

What a loving game

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Is there a way to buy just the hard copy manual from matrix? Or do you have to buy the game there to get it? If you buy the game from them do you get a steam key?

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Slitherine is having a small sale on humble bundle https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/slitherine-publisher-sale
If you've never bought there before, you get a steam key.

As much as I lust after the physical manual, I think $12 is probably a more appropriate price for Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa given how much I'll likely play it.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Boar It posted:

Been playing the men of war series on and off for years. GoH was great during the beta, still rough around the edges and it seems like this is more of an "early access" release but they can't put the early access label on it due to it being a dlc for call to arms. So I'll probably hold off a bit but it is still a really good improvement over assault squad 2. Reason it is a DLC for call to arms is a bunch of license fuckery that is a mess. If I recall correctly call to arms is made by the original men of war devs that splintered off from the publisher, so they now have their own branch of the engine and the GoH devs don't have the right to publish a game using that license without the original publisher involved, so they teamed up with the original devs and put it as a dlc expansion. Either way I picked up call to arms for like $3 and it will probably go on sale soon again for the inevitable summer sale, so it isn't that big of a deal to me at least.

Does it have a campaign like FoW/MoW? Or is it more like assault squad? The former are the best coop experience I've ever had, I've been wanting more for ages.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Philthy posted:

I honestly wouldn't mind if the cpu did everything for us. I grabbed the LnL manual and it's 300 pages and each expansion has it's own ruleset modifiers. No freaking way would I want to play that on the tabletop. It's supposed to be a 'lighter' version of ASL.

For what it's worth, in the current edition only a fraction of the main rulebook is the actual rules and they're loaded with examples and stuff. I think they rolled most or all of the expansion rules into the main book. It's waaaay lighter than ASL.

Squiggle posted:

You see Pharnakes, this is really a simulation and the computational requirements of simulating every bullet and gravity and ricochets takes so much processor power that we have to get a head start while time is completely frozen as you're panning around the map and planning your turn.

I have a computer strong enough to play MS Flight Simulator in VR at 80Hz, but Combat Mission still runs exactly as poorly as it has on every computer I've owned over sixteen years.

I can't believe I troll myself every time CM comes up, but this impotent hatred for CM's performance and its forum defenders is so strong and consistent at this point that you could light up Denver if you figured out how to channel it through a turbine.

Look, multithreaded simulation is LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE and you're being TOTALLY UNREASONABLE in thinking that someone might do it in 2021.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Pretty sure the concept for getting the Maus across rivers with pathetic little weakling bridges that couldn't handle it's ungainly majesty was to operate in pairs, connected by electrical cables (the Maus drive was hybrid, using a diesel motor to power generators for electric motors). The one on shore would provide power, the other one would lower it's turret down onto a rubber gasket and all the hatches would be sealed. Then it would just... drive across the river because obviously soft river beds are the perfect place for your insanely heavy mega tank.

In short, german high command just loved the thought of drowning tankers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
In a previous entry he said he was planning on doing full navy stuff later, that it was too much to do that and all the changes to add oceans all at once.