Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010
The Matrix Easter sale is on... 30% off everything using happyeaster coupon code. I may finally pick up Strategic Command WAW. Might be the first time to grab Armored Brigade on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

fuf posted:

This has always been a kind of fantasy game of mine. If you make it a more modern ship so that there are radars / sensors, and maybe a helicopter deck, then there could be all kind of fun systems to manage.

I realize it lacks a persistent campaign experience but I do have to mention Dangerous Waters. You can control a frigate (and even the Seahawk it launches).

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010
Sorry your transports only unloaded .30 carbine ammo, you will need to wait for the transport with the 30-06 rounds before your units can attack.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010
Bummer I was really hoping to see a detailed mission planner included as one of the new features (I still can’t figure out how to properly time complex strikes).

The quick battle generator is exciting though.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

Hav posted:

Steam has a tacview page. November 6th is their release date.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1174860/Tacview/

Aight, it’s all good.

Glad they have a steam release coinciding with CMO. Hopefully that means they can offer a good bundle deal.. I have a hard time believing a lot of folks will drop 70 dollars on tacview advanced plus whatever CMO will cost upfront.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

Deptfordx posted:

I'd quite like to give CMO a try but not at £63.

Yeah from everything I’ve read the upgrades are more incremental than revolutionary. The biggest value add seems to be tacview and you double the cost of the game just to add that on top. I’m going to hold off for an advanced strike planner...

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

V for Vegas posted:

Nice update for Command. FOW for Tacview and smaller file sizes for map tiles.

Props to the team, that’s a major improvement that I thought would take a lot longer to implement.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

Gewehr 43 posted:

Well, I just fired up a custom battle between like fleets of DDs and CLs. When the shots are flying fast and furious it can be pretty intense. But, for a game that depicts something as visceral and messy as naval surface combat, it's kind unsatisfying how clean it is. There's no visual damage models on the ships other than a decal that blackens the hull a little bit. No bent metal, no pieces knocked off, just a some flame sprites and a hull that's slightly blacker than it was.

For example, here's the IJN Kuma being stalked by the USS Chevalier after being absolutely pummeled by fire from five US DDs and a rapid fire Brooklyn-class CL.

meh

The controls are reasonably intuitive. Menu UI is a little weird in places. I'm super jazzed that it picks up a constant axis input off my rudder pedals, which cocks up a couple of the less important sliders and drop down menus unless I hold my left toe brake just so. Can't find anywhere to de-bind that in the controls menu, so guess I'll live with it. Sound is okay. Overall graphics are passable, but kinda show their mobile roots. If there was a better visual damage model, it'd shrug off the overall models. Enemy AI appears to be able to target through islands without LOS even though I've lost contact and can't shoot.

I haven't played the campaign yet, so maybe that will tie it all together. I won't refund it, but the most compelling reason not to is so that my son can get a hoot out of blowing ships up.

Edit: Also, I'm not sure why there are options to build custom battles and such with dates into 1946. The most modern ships in the US arsenal are South Dakotas and Yorktowns. Maybe there's some late war DLC coming later... ?

Edit 2: Wait, there are Tench class submarines. Their ship catalog doesn't make any sense. No Iowas or Essexes, but there's a Tench?

These are pretty much my impressions. The campaign feels unfinished. My task forces are constantly pestered by search planes and I need to keep clicking skip to advance time. Then my CAG is suddenly dumped into a point blank battle with a surface task force... how did my search groups not see that coming in clear daytime weather? Maybe I missed a command and this is probably user error.. but for reasons above I refunded this. I may buy back in after some patching and at a cheaper price.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

sum posted:

Does anyone know any good solitaire games/scenarios for a modern invasion of Taiwan? The best I've found so far is the Taiwan 2016 scenario for TOAW IV but it's from before the 2017 PLA reforms

Command Modern Operations has a number of official and user made scenarios covering this topic from both sides.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

ZombieLenin posted:

Hey, first of all thanks for all the reading suggestions guys. You were more helpful than the military history thread was if I am being honest.

Grog game related, has anyone spent some time playing Grand Tactician: Civil War (1861 - 1865)? I’m considering buying it, but $40 for an early access game is a bit pricey and I am wondering if I should just hold off.

I’ve just picked it up and am really enjoying it. It certainly still has the early access roughness (despite supposedly being close to release) but if you can get past that there is a great game there.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

ZombyDog posted:

I'm in the Carrier Command 2 is good actually camp. I have some reservations, I find the flight controls to be rather unfun, the obfuscation of game systems to be frustrating and wish there was more people talking about it so I can plot out a way of dealing with three and 4 shield Islands. I've been playing exclusively single player and initially I found the pacing either frustratingly slow or out of hand and difficult to manage but now I enjoy the quieter moments to sort out logistics or plan out an approach to an island, and I've nailed down air assaults one 1 and 2 shield Islands using a mix of a couple of Albatrosses and the rest Razorbills all armed with IR missiles, only using manual control to mark targets, launch flares and cruise missiles. I find the throwback visuals to be quite appealing, along with the music and ambient audio, and have never had a flipped Razorbill on the deck, only because I've never tried to operate them in high seas or while on the move. In my current campaign I'm only finding that I really want the 160mm ammo blueprint so I can more confidently deal with surface AA at range. I haven't tried it in VR yet but my understanding is that the implementation isn't super awesome yet.

I think a lot of people are sleeping on carrier command 2. There’s some rough edges and updates need to be made to the AI and logistics systems, but the thrill of setting up a successful attack on an island while combining air and sea operations with carrier fire support is top notch. And that’s just single player, it should really shine in coop.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010
Looks like updating the ai is on the docket. That alone would be enough for me to start up another game. Very welcome news!

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010
Triassic Games has released a first gameplay footage video for Sea Power. Definitely looks to fill that Fleet Command role (something a bit more accessible than CMO)

https://youtu.be/GuOZcQNZbRY

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Besides Civ 6 are there any strategy games on the Switch. Like, stretching the definition of grognard obviously but anything that lets me push tanks around on a hex grid?

Wargroove? Which I think is an advance wars clone.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010
Microprose looking like they are going to go 3 for 3 (TFA, Sea Power, Second Front) in their next round of releases here based on what I’m seeing. Should be an exciting next year or so.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

Kudos to the CMO team on these updates. The time on target and ATO updates are game changers and really allow for complex coordinated air operations via the in game generated flight plans. Really should take some burden off individually micromanaging flights.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

causticBeet posted:

What games would be good to check out for someone who wants a more in depth war sim/strategy experience but with a more modern UI / graphics. For reference I’ve enjoyed the bell out of the current suite of Sub-sims and War on the Sea. Most of the stuff posted in this thread looks badass, but my monkey brain needs pretty visuals of boats and tanks and planes exploding - I just can’t jive with the “board game but on your pc” vibe, as much as I understand how well it does representing this subject matter.

You’re probably going to love Sea Power and Task Force Admiral.. both are due for release within the next year or so.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

Squiggle posted:

Just to report back on UBOAT's newfound Steam Deck compatibility -

Yeah, it...works. But it runs really poorly even on the lowest graphical settings, and the interface is WAY too small to be easy to use. Glad I own it now, but this one's for the desktop.

Thanks for the update, I was wondering how it ran. Too bad.

If anyone is craving submarine gameplay on the steam deck, Dangerous Waters actually works very well on it.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

Trolling Thunder posted:

I don’t know much about the Steam Deck but I thought the whole point was portable access to your entire library? I guess not which kinda sucks.

Games on Steam Deck fall into three categories.

1) games that run on the deck and have a controller/small screen friendly UI

2) games that run on the deck but otherwise not optimized for a small screen and the controls

3) games that straight up won’t boot up on the deck

Not many grog games fall into the first category obviously. A surprising amount of games do fall into the second however. I have a lot of time on Terra Invicta, Dangerous Waters, and Armored Brigade on the deck for instance.

There are some notable games that frustratingly do not run on the deck however, including Grand Tactician, Shadow Empires, CMO, and TOAW 4.

So it’s a mixed bag for grogs but I’m still very happy with it overall.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010
Regarding CMO, I’d encourage folks to check out tacview integration. It’s not earth shattering graphics but it does create a 3D space where you can actually watch the battle unfold.

BMS in VR just blows my mind. To this day I still remember getting Falcon 4.0 for Christmas 25 years ago (giant binder and all); and the fact it has evolved to this degree is just amazing. It’s a testament to the incredible campaign engine that has kept that game alive for a generation. It’s also incredibly frustrating that no other sim developer has come close to duplicating it in that time.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010
How is the Second Front ai? Because I really wanted to get Tigers on the Hunt for an ASL fix but passed because of the absolutely terrible ai reported in that game.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

ZombieLenin posted:

I mean, okay... but it doesn't look much like a game from what I can tell. It's simulation software where you preload scenarios and watch them run, right?

Yeah that’s my understanding from what I’ve seen about it on youtube. Pick a scenario and you can place people on a map and see how they fare over time (spoiler alert, in case of nuclear war don’t go wondering outside), or otherwise see general fatality figures. 30 bucks seems steep for what’s being offered if you aren’t interested in it from an academic perspective. Steam reviews are currently mixed.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

Quixzlizx posted:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/command-modern-operations

Not my jam, but I figured some people in the thread might be interested.

Edit: It's on a flash sale for $26.39, since that's not obvious from the link.

That’s a stupidly low price for CMO and anyone who doesn’t own this game (and has the slightest interest in air/sea operations) needs to buy this now.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

P Gatcomb is as close as we can get to Baloogan, but without the alcohol.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

Yay! The embargo is lifted, here is a two hour video!

https://youtu.be/DPnp_i18OMg

It's a nice evolution of the game, and missiles, captains and the ability to set your own divisions are the main draws.

I wonder if this works on Steam Deck. I am absolutely grog enough to try it.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010
Yes 39 dollars as well. If someone is willing to try this on Steamdeck please let me know if it runs. I’m assuming not…

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

Squiggle posted:

The UI is the UI and I don't think I'll be figuring out how to upscale this, so the overlap of "people with poo poo eyes" and "would play rule the waves" I'm sure means it's not gonna fly for most, but I'm shocked it even launches, let alone plays.

EDIT: Actually, some of the additional windows don't load, and some things actually open off-screen. Nevermind, but - drat, yeah, at least it launches

Ahh too bad, appreciate the feedback!

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Anyone have any experience with the two main mega mods for Cold Waters (DotMod and Epic Mod)? Both are massive and I can't decide which to try.

If memory serves, DotMod is a more comprehensive overhaul of the game (including allowing control of surface vessels with helicopter support) while Epic is more targeted on Subs.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010
:shrug: I’m just happy it works pretty drat well on Steam Deck. Though I’m not a fan of how you seemingly can’t enter turn based mode until actually making an offensive action. Makes it difficult on controllers where targeting on the move is not an easy thing.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

You can even keep posting like that. What are people going to do, go back to playing Jane’s Fleet Command?

To be fair, Fleet Command actually works on the Steam Deck while CMO does not.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

Yooper posted:

Falcon 4.0 BMS. Seriously. You don't need to actually fly in order to do the ATO's, mission planning, CAP orbits, etc. The dynamic campaign is among the best I've ever seen in a war game.

I was about to post this too. Not much in grog world is fully dynamic and the BMS campaign engine gets you closer than most everything else out there.

You can individually plan the entire air war (individual operations & flight packages) and set orders to the ground units or step back and set high level objectives & sectors of focus, just letting the AI generate a war plan off those priorities.

Considering the buy in for BMS is like 5 bucks it’s an easy recommend to try it out.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010
Not only does TI have two different games slapped together that don’t really integrate well; I found the transition from the earth spy game to the space game to be cumbersome. I burned out on my first game (played at release) just sitting around waiting for enough boost to generate so I could actually launch things into space; and the game didn’t really walk you through what techs were necessary or how to actually establish yourself in space.

Maybe that’s all changed since EA release and I should check it out again.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010
To be fair I feel better about the money I spent on Combined Arms than I do on Supercarrier.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010
https://youtu.be/Sym9KXe_wfA?si=Nk32se3Z7w9f-HDU

Randomly saw that Matrix dropped an Armored Brigade 2 announcement trailer. All you can tell so far is that it brings the game into 3d which looks neat.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

Yooper posted:

Microprose just announced a couple more games.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1400660/Rise_of_Piracy/

Age of sail game with choices, progression, and ships from 1600-1900. Sounds cool.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2591010/Silent_Depth_2_Pacific/

A "lite sub-sim" set in the pacific in a Gato class.

I’m always glad to see new Microprose releases on the horizon.. but my god they also need to start actually delivering on their game pipeline. Getting TFA and Seapower out would be huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

I got a Steam Deck, anyone reccomend good grog games that run well on it?

If you are willing to fiddle a bit with control settings you can play most grog games without issue on the Steam Deck. I’ve played everything from Dangerous Waters to Dominions to Second Front.

The notable grog games you can’t run on it (in my experience) are TOAW, CMO, and Shadow Empire.