Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i don't think mods really care about talking piracy unless you're actually sharing links

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Unity of Command II looks so loving good. The diaries have been really encouraging with changes to logistics and fow and oob n poo poo

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

imho the 'puzzle' thing is a bit dumb. there are only 'wrong moves' if you are set on getting brilliant victories, and even then a lot of those are pretty flexible. this is less true in the soviet dlc which was by a different guy I think

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

lmao @ this whole ongoing situation

grogs are treasure

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Just posting to say that i am extremely horny for Unity of Command 2. Flare path did a preview for it this week and it looks loving ace

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I'm surprised to see lukewarm opinions on it, I'm having a blast. It's much more flexible than the first game, the combination of setting your own supply networks + HQ upgrades means you can really craft your own plan. It definitely sounds annoying if the manual is incomplete, though.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

ZombieLenin posted:

Does UoC2 just cover late war Western Europe? If so that’s too bad, because that particular theatre and time period is not super compelling to me. Sometimes I try to make it work—I tried real hard with WiTW—but it never seems to click.

I just have a hard time getting over playing the Allies fighting against the weakest part of a nearly bled white German army while enjoying air supremacy everywhere. Same goes for the Germans—though I do enjoy games that focus exclusively on the Ardennes Offensive.

Italy is a bit more fun, but it seems this always turns into a slog fest (not a lot of room to maneuver), and often as not I start wondering why I am not playing Guns of August instead.

Yeah pretty sure it's just ('just') the Western theater 43-45. In dev diaries Tomislav, the designer, has said he intends to do the eastern front over again, since the new supply stuff is very suited for it.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

blackmongoose posted:

If you took both Rome and Monte Cassino you should have unlocked the option to play a variant set of missions in the next conference where you take Italy a lot faster than historical. I think that is a minor issue where in the variant unlock objectives, if you choose not to play the variant or only get some of them then the game assumes you didn't get any of them. That's probably an issue with how they implemented the variant system.

I finished the campaign on the full historical route to unlock all the achievements. I'll probably try a playthrough aiming for all the variant plans next, it sounds like some of them are a lot more challenging. I definitely agree that there should be a way to move steps between HQs in the prep screen, it seems like an obvious QOL improvement. #1 thing I want though is a mid-scenario save. I don't care if they're limited, or cost prestige, or call it baby mode and make fun of me but having to redo a giant 10 turn scenario because I misclicked and dropped my paratroops on a tank instead of the empty final objective city just feels awful. (Don't even mention the final scenario - I never want to play that thing again, it's just way too large and not even a particularly interesting challenge)

yeah, a onetime save per scenario or something would be really nice. I completely blasted through Rush to the Appenines (the first italian variant scenario), but still failed the branch because I didn't have enough movement to throw a unit on top of the last objective after dislodging its garrison. That felt like poo poo :(

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

No 40k grog game is complete if it lacks events like "several armies worth of troops have arrived before they were mustered by a trick of the warp" and endless bickering between your overgrown psycopathic child super soldiers

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

LLSix posted:

Anyone have opinions on Unity of Command II? I enjoyed the first one because it was simple enough for me to wrap my head around.

It's very good, an enhancement over the original in almost every way.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thanks for the hot tip - I ended up getting the Strategic Command collection, Victory and Glory: Napoleon, To End All Wars, and Disco Elysium

I would say get WITE: I have a lot of issues with how it's designed, but it's far more playable than WITW, and the scale of the WITx games lends it to better perform with a big wide front like the East.

If you have any strong impressions on napoleon after a bit feel free to share. I've been teetering on the brink of buying it for like two years :v:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

It's more complicated but also more forgiving, imo.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

it's taking all my willpower to resist impulse-buying PzCrp2 right now. i need that drat review tim stone!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Alchenar posted:

Wargamer.com will never give a negative review

I didn't want to say it, but yeah. They have been extremely grognard-negged into accepting just about anything

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Panzeh posted:

Panzer General/Panzercorps is fire emblem for grognards and is pretty unabashed about it. PzC2 does add encirclement and it's pretty useful but it's not the only way to do things.

Unity of Command is giving you a fixed force every scenario and asking you to move along, Panzercorps has a lot more persistent elements between scenarios- your core is entirely yours.

Your forces carry between scenarios in UoC2, and you upgrade your HQs, it's pretty neat!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

wide stance posted:

Bummer. I was interested in UoC 2 but not being able to craft most of your army's composition makes too much of a difference to me. Loses so much novelty and room for creativity when I'm stuck playing someone else's army.

I mean, they do carry over from scenario to scenario with veterancy and strength, and the attachments you add are significant and varied. UoC2 is a very good wargame, don't just dismiss it out of hand :[

In other news, Stone-sama is pretty harsh on Corps 2

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I'll third that my AI turn times were never nearly as long. Usually about a minute?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

to elaborate on what's already been posted, Unity of Command II got a huge update adding thirteen alt-history scenarios in new paths for the grand campaign, culminating in an absolutely wild Unthinkable against Uncle Joe. Also lots of small balance changes and tweaks to conferences, etc. Game continues to be fantastic, and i am indeed psyched for the ostfront DLC

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

ZombieLenin posted:

Meh. Not my cup of tea. I tried, I really did... until I realized it was a puzzle game with grognard/war gaming decorations.

i still have no idea what this means lol

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

SlyFrog posted:

Probably that it's not really a wargame, as much as it is a mathematical puzzle where you find the right solution, and that tanks, infantry, etc. are basically just thin veneers to give you a reason to solve the puzzle.

O well i guess that clears that up then

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Flannelette posted:

They are better than before they don't bunch up on them now and you need to move by road march order them over them but it's realistic that trying to drive armored vehicles over rural bridges is a disaster, why the proper bridges were so important. I asked the dev once about it and he just posted photos of halftracks and tanks tilted off the sides of bridges until I conceded. They shouldn't be able to swim in the ice water though.

God i 'love' grogs

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Alchenar posted:

Well yeah but that's the whole point. The scenarios are constructed backwards from a very specific solution for a flawless victory and then a 'win' is several sets removed from that.

I don't really think that's the case, except for maybe like Market Garden. There's just too much variability between HQ and unit upgrades and cards

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Can you play Il2 with a gamepad? i will never buy a joystick

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Panzeh posted:

UoC2 is a series of operational wargames with a relatively weak AI(and an offense-friendly combat system) that suffers a bit, I think, from its attachment to realism for it. It'd be fine as a board game with players running the sides, but the parameters of the game basically, I think, force it into the direction of brutal time limits to hit everything. Since it's historical, the actual unit composition for both sides is fixed, so the only real customization is in the HQs.

For example, PC2 lets you customize your core force and capture units- it's much less realistic and more abstract, but the scenarios are more varied, especially in the GC '39 just by having randomized enemy spawns. I think they're willing to be unrealistic and roll with it and it helps the game a lot. It's a lot easier than UoC or UoC2 for it, but you can change parameters to make the game harder.

Both games are about racing through scenarios against stronger forces with weak AIs, but I think one's richer than the other.

I stopped reading here :v:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

For anyone who read it, Flare Path (the Rock Paper shotgun wargame/sim column by Tim Stone) has been cancelled. Tim chucked himself into the comments section on an RPS article and a lot of the site's people as well as a few other games journos opposed his viewpoint so I think it's gone for good. A shame he had to gently caress it all up, really loved his writing.

dang this sucks. which article?

e; welp. still sucks, but can't say he didn't bring it on himself and I can't really feel that much sympathy. It is a shame though, it was a great column and p much the only good grognard writer i've seen

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 14, 2020

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

hope ardennes has some interesting wrinkles a la barbarossa

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

There's a cool gundam mod for HoI IV as well

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Steel div 2 is intriguing but it insists on that awful Army General mode in place of a campaign. My impression before i refunded was that it would be less micro than the first just because of scale, though

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

sum posted:

Not to be the horrible grog exclusionist but I don't see how anyone could consider any of the Eugen games to be wargames except in the loosest possible sense of the word. The army general mode looks cool as hell though, I didn't know about it.

It's a cool idea let down in execution imo

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Dramicus posted:

IIRC it isn't a hard limit. You don't fail on turn 9, you either just start getting fewer points or you miss out on an alternate path.

nah scenario limits are hard deadlines, it's definitely my biggest complaint on a lot of scenarios.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

has anyone played the new SGS Afrika Korps published by Avalon? I've been dyin' for something in that theater but it seems like slim pickins

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

That book's a real treat

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

Thanks for the info!

Game related, after reading so much about it, bought DC:B a month ago and have been playing the last two weeks. It’s an amazing game and handles being in a chain of command petty brilliantly. I know the next title is Ardennes, have they said anything about what’s beyond that? Would love something from the Allied POV that’s as fleshed out as the Germans. Playing as Eisenhower seems like it fit right in with their system.

I assume you'll be able to play the Americans, the Soviets are in DC:B. Hopefully Monty replaces truck nazi as inveterate whiner

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Speaking of RtW2, how's that doin these days? Last i remember goons were souring on the dev over mod drama but it's sounding kind of good right now...

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Deptfordx posted:

Carrier Command 2 is out now. I'm going to skip it as the demo made it seem like an enormous faf to play and anyway I've had the Remastered Mass Effect since it came out and I really ought to at least crack it open and see if I feel like playing through it. But I would be interested still to hear other takes on what is hopefully a more polished since the demo actual game.

i was... very surprised to see it actually launch so soon after the demo, since the latter had a message about how they really wanted tons of feedback to drive the direction of the game. The demo itself was fun but i don't think they've added any bridge crew or anything and i have just no interest in manning an entire aircraft carrier by myself

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Yes but you couldn't charge for "engine upgrades" for each individual game.

yeah p sure this is the reasoning

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Stalingrad dlc for Unity of Command II is out. Uses the music from the first game which is a little hit of nostalgia. Checked out the Stalingrad scenario itself in test play and it looks to be a very spicy meatball

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

FishMcCool posted:

So, a few random questions after checking out this thread:

- Any good games covering French Indochina? I have and love TOAW4, and it does provide some of that, but I could use more scenarios or even better, a campaign. Also, I play solo and sadly, the TOAW4 POs are hit-and-miss, when they are available at all.
- Related question: anything like TOAW4 with a post-ww2 focus but a more systematic/better AI to play against?
- Regarding ww2, I've been looking at Order of Battle, but reviews seem pretty mixed. Obviously it's a Paradox-grade DLC lineup, but they aren't massively expensive and it's not like I need anything more than one to keep me busy for a while. The Pacific Marines one in particular draws me. Reminds me of younger days, playing a pacific campaign with the Marines in Steel Panthers. Any consensus on the game and eventually that DLC? At just a tenner, I'll likely check it out myself but if there are massive red flags against it, it's not going to break my heart to skip it.

I have to apologise by the way. I am both vaccinated and a Steam user. I hope we can still be friends.

Unity of Command II blows OOB and Panzer Corps out of the water, but no Marines campaign alas. If that's the main draw then I would recommend OOB though, it's a decent game and I definitely like it better than Corps

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

everydayfalls posted:

Since they changed their model to dlc. Years and years now.

I will nth the recommendation for oob, it has strong beer and pretzels vibes and the price for entry is right.

Also unity of command is a puzzle game :can:

1, maybe. 2? yer flat wrong my friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

FishMcCool posted:

Well, to my shame, I do have UoC2 (base game) from some sale, but it didn't quite catch me. I'll likely go back to it at some point, but turn limits felt a bit tight for comfort and while I love supply lines being considered, I'm not fully convinced yet that I love to micro-manage them.

Regarding OOB, I'm impressed by the lineup of less common fronts with the winter war, sino japanese war, russian japanese war... Having good fun with the free base game so far, it sort of hits all the right notes. The boot camp sea battle is a bit of a bore though, and the UI feels lacking a tiny bit of QoL (or I'm an idiot and I missed the undo button?). Think I'll play a few of those taster scenarios and keep an eye out in the next Steam sales.

Oh yeah, got LnL already. But unless they added stuff, they only cover the US conflict, not the earlier French one. And indeed at a pretty different scale.

the sino japanese dlc (rising sun or sumthing like that) is v good fun