Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Thanks everybody who bought RTW2, for showing the rest of us what a clusterfuck it is

I think I'll just play one of the hundreds of games that I have that aren't a complete shitshow, until the RTW devs get their heads pulled halfway out of their asses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Asehujiko posted:

Sadly the person who makes the final decisions on whether or not to use Steam can't even spell it's name correctly and consistently calls it STEAM.

Do you suppose he thinks it's an acronym, or do you think he's just SCREAMING it

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Dramicus posted:

I use Dwarf Fortress as a metric when judging performance. Yes, I am eagerly awaiting the release of a 64-core threadripper cpu, why do you ask?

Isn't Dwarf Fortress single threaded?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Nothing like wanting to play some Steel Panthers and realizing that you got one download back in 2013 :downs:

I think fans have updated it since then, fixed some bugs and such. You might want to download it again

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Popete posted:

Is there an option to just napalm the entire map and win?

They tried that irl and it didn't work

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Horseback Commander where you're writing letters to your generals all day

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

BattleMaster posted:

Unironically yes, I'm kind of fascinated by how hard it was in the past to send orders and get/track information and I'd be all over games hat are about wrestling with the constraints of a time period

It would be pretty cool, yeah. The Scourge of War games do the writing letters thing to a certain extent, but I'm bad enough at the lower difficulty levels so I haven't really played like that much

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
It's Gary Coleman I bet

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mokotow posted:

Speaking of which, the Supreme Ruler devs just announced something called Galactic Ruler.

Steam Store Page Link:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1138440

Announcement Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdBROy_48qI

It sure is... something. Supreme Ruler engine stretched to multiple planets and systems, with an extra hex-based space map. Considering how they never managed to build a competitive AI or describe how the game’s systems actually work, I have a feeling this will go poorly.

Wow, those screenshots. I get that graphics aren't the priority here, but god drat

There are a lot of reasons that this won't work, but my favorite is the AI. For fourteen fuckin' years people have been begging Battlegoat to teach the AI how to do an amphibious invasion, and they just could not figure it out. Now they're making a game where every invasion is basically an amphibious one. Maybe they finally cracked that nut but I seriously doubt it

And everything else about the game just doesn't even scale to one planet, much less dozens of them. I really wonder what made them think this was a good idea

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

A Real Horse posted:

So reading through this thread over Thanksgiving inspired me to pick up a couple of games during the Steam sale. I now own Fields of Glory 2, which I’ve already played a bunch of and absolutely love. And Operational Art of War 4, which I’m kind of terrified to start but had the steambux for and took the plunge. Anybody have any advice for someone just starting it? Is advice even needed? Am I just being a big scared baby over all the counters and symbols I don’t know?

Well in any grognard game you're going to be overwhelmed at first. What you have to do is just start pushing counters around, and you'll be totally absorbed before you know it. I mean, you can always restart the scenario if you gently caress everything up

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Taintrunner posted:

Has anyone had any experience with Supreme Ruler Ultimate? It was on sale and seemed like it'd be a ton of fun, taking over the world and all that. Like a sort of off-brand Paradox game, but it goes all the way up into modern days and the future.

I've been waiting almost 15 years for them to turn Supreme Ruler into a decent game. Hasn't happened yet. I don't know why I keep buying these games, but you at least can learn from my mistakes

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thinkin about an East Front game where your only view is a map in a tent like it was Tabletop Simulator

Maybe you get to fly around in a Storch for a closer look, but then you might get shot down

I just want them to put a Storch into new IL-2. I love that plane you guys

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

gradenko_2000 posted:

TOAW 4 scenarios you should check out, varying in quality from "good" to "playable":

I like the Ia Drang scenario even if I suck at it. Also the invasion of Greece one

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

uPen posted:

We're halfway through March, release Aurora already!

The guy said it would be the end of March, and also, that might be delayed:

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=10606.0 posted:

Why isn't the code open source? Can I crack the code?

I've seen this question come up on the Discord again, so I will cover it here.

Aurora is a hobby for me. I'm having fun creating a game for myself, that I also share with others. The fun is partly through designing and playing the game and partly through the challenge of coding. I have zero interest in project managing a group of developers or trying to integrate someone else's code (that is a job, not a hobby). I'm not interested in Aurora having the best possible code or the best possible architecture or debating what that might look like. I simply want to have fun programming and playing.

So far, I have been happy to share the result of that work. I do not want to share the actual code, which represents thousands of hours of work on my part. I don't want to waste time on bug reports caused by someone else hacking around and I don't want multiple potentially competing versions of Aurora. In simple terms, I want to maintain control over my creation

Based on some comments on the Discord, it seems to greatly upset some people that I am not prepared to hand over my work so they can use it for whatever purpose they feel like. They are also suggestions (again today) that they will just crack the code anyway. I do sometimes consider simply not releasing at all to avoid those issues, because I can still code and play the game myself and just release fiction updates. However, I know that would disappoint people who have waited a long time for C#, so instead I have to waste time adding obfuscation to the code to prevent the issues mentioned above. If C# is delayed beyond my end of March release date, that will be the reason.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Pharnakes posted:

DC:B was $60 wasn't it?

I don't know, but it's $50 right now. The other Decisive Campaigns games are $40 and Advanced Tactics Gold is $30. So the price will probably be somewhere in there. Anyway we're grognards and will probably pay up to $80, but let's not give them any ideas

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Hey, does anybody know if those anniversary coupons that Matrix/Slitherine sends you are good for new releases? I want to know if I should use mine now or wait 'til the 4th

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

The code good for everything you buy in their webshop in a single transaction, except the physical goods (those are sold at cost price). It is cumulative with regular sales. It has a limited timespan however. I am lucky mine comes in December, so I can combine it with their Christmas sale.

Alright, cool, looks like I'm getting Shadow Empire a bit cheaper. Thanks

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Well, I just got Shadow Empire. Did you think Alpha Centauri was a complicated game? You were wrong

Saros posted:

Be nice guys we are all friends here.

This is hilarious because the first thing I noticed was, these guys are motorized infantry, this is the wrong symbol

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Okay this is bad enough:

But it gets worse. If you zoom out, they're armor:

I'm just gonna go have a little lie down, I think

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Hippocrass posted:

Does Matrix do refunds!

Awesome game, nonetheless

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Saros posted:

AT guns using the artillery symbol.

You really know how to kick a guy while he's layin' down, don't ya

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Grey Hunter posted:

So, if I was to do a key giveaway for a slithering game as part of their 20th birthday, what game should I pick? It's five keys from a slitherine game, not sure if that's just slitherine or the matrix catalog as well.

That $50 version of Steel Panthers

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Manually editing text files is how configuration *should* be done, anyway. GUIs are for the weak. Also how am I going to write a script that edits my configuration if it's all some binary blob

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

IAmThatIs posted:

Also has anybody played Wizards and Warlords? It looks like the perfect combination of low graphics, uninformative UI, and super deep gameplay!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/567080/Wizards_and_Warlords/

I've played a couple of hours of this and I'm liking it so far. It's like an extremely complicated version of Master of Magic. It reminds me a bit of Eador as well, and the procedurally generated stuff brings Warsim to mind, if you ever played that one. So it seems pretty cool but I can't tell for sure because I've got no idea what I'm doing. The game really needs some documentation. I'm gradually puzzling things out with trial and error, but it'd be nice if the game or a manual just told me all this poo poo. I guess the community has posted a bunch of stuff about the game, so I'll check that out next

Anyway, I've passed the window for a refund and it doesn't bother me, so 10/10 I guess

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Drone posted:

The boomer poster who's still running Windows XP and refuses to upgrade.

the guy complaining that the UI doesn't work at 1024x768 resolution

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

gradenko_2000 posted:

Pride of Nations

for ppl who played victoria 2 and were like, this isn't complicated enough

also processing a turn takes about as long as a game of vicky

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

just gonna copy/paste the post i made in the RtW thread

quote:

oh wait, this was the guy that we were joking was mailing out activation codes by hand, right?

man, that sucks. :rip: duder; always sad to lose a member of the community

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Libluini posted:

It's mostly for these reasons:

1.) I'm a writer, so I keep inventing new space species with unhealthily long and complex backgrounds just for the fun of writing, then putting them into games like some hosed-up AI experiment

2.) Paradox keeps adding new poo poo to try out and changes stuff, so the game keeps feeling fresh

3.) The game is sometimes incredibly buggy. The Grey Tempest event for example spawns super-fleets which only well-prepared players can defeat. Even the recently improved AI can't do this, at least not always: Set up your game in the wrong way, and the AI is too weak and since the GT-fleets can just delete planets, every game run with them often turns into a nightmare realm of you surviving in a sea of death. And the AI is programmed to rip out the gates releasing them on their own if you wait long enough. So every game randomly spawning them better also have high difficulty, or the run will just one day end with endless spawns eating up everyone.

The rest of the bugs is kind of boring in comparison, and Paradox keeps fixing them. But boy oy boy, the amount of time I've wasted by playing for hours, only to win by default when the GT showed up. That and other aborted runs due to bugs or me just losing interest in my own scenario probably accounts for most of that time.

In those 2800+ hours, there's just one singular game I ever managed to play through to the end. But as long as the game is fun, I keep going back

yeah but aren't you that guy who has the 1000 page master of orion 3 let's play? i don't know if we should be taking space 4X advice from you

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
played some distant worlds 2 and it does a lot of things better than the first one, such as:
  • it loads faster

anyway i uninstalled it already

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

fuf posted:

One very funny UI thing is that you hold left click to pan the map, but this also deselects whatever unit you had selected. So you can't select a unit and then scroll somewhere to give it an order...

yeah poo poo like this was why i uninstalled the game. i'll only put up with so much poo poo in order to play "distant worlds--" and they are way over the line. i've played games with clunky, unintuitive, arcane, and just plain bad UIs, but it's quite an accomplishment for a UI to actually piss me off. congrats, codeforce, not even tarn adams managed that

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Terrifying Effigies posted:

It does look like RTW3 will let you build more detailed pixelbotes:

jesus. will it do something reasonable automatically or am i going to be loving around with a million lines in their terrible-rear end editor every time i want a ship that doesn't look like trash?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Terrifying Effigies posted:

BTW looks like the new Shadow Empires Oceania DLC will be dropping at the end of the month:

oh cool, maybe i'll actually get around to playing some of it now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
it wasn't that i felt anything was lacking, really; just that i never got around to playing. a big update's always a good excuse to dust off a game though