Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Great OP, weird genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'd like to file a complaint with Vietnam '65 and how it's less about the conflict and more about flying choppers around to deliver crates to soldiers. I want to enjoy it but it's a logicistics simulator first and foremost, not what I want.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

One. More. Week

Should we make a thread? Once RW1 started catching on with goons it really dominated the grog thread until I made a thread where we Ruled the Waves happily for a few months until the hype died down and the thread died.

If others think a thread would be good I can start cooking up an OP.

I wouldn't mind seeing traffic in here, tbh.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Are there any good guides to getting into Ageod games? Rise of Prussia has a tutorial but it cannot teach me to get good at it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

This guy did an AAR of RoP with tips for beginners throughout. It's not incredible but it may be helpful and explain concepts in context, which is nice. RoP is I think one of their simpler games so the other AGEOD stuff usually adds on top (trade, diplo, etc) but combat and leader mechanics are always the same, more or less.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ginners.513080/

Thanks!

dtkozl posted:

Go to the AGEOD civil war 1 (not 2) and look at the strategy subforum. There are lots of links there to how exactly take advantage of the combat system and what values you need to look at in the unit to know if it is good or not. Since the core game is identical across the series they pretty much apply to every game.

Also look closely at your supply rules since that is the heart of the game. Basically what you want to do is always be expanding your supply network and work towards that, always try and defend and not attack, keep cohesion high, and always buy reinforcements before new units.

Thanks!

I find it funny how sometimes learning a wargame is more complicated than my trig homework. :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

Does somebody have a new discord invite, this one expired or is just invalid.

https://discord.gg/BdS5tCA

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Wait, how often does FoG2 go on sale? I was going to wait until the summer sale but if they're not going to repeat it...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Today I remembered that the Grognard Games thread exists, so I should ask in here: I just beat the tutorial battles for Field of Glory 2 :toot:

What campaigns should I look at? What DLC should I chase down? What other games by this dev should I get into? I really like the UI of FoG2 and would like to play more of it, and since things are on sale I should investigate what I should pick up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm realizing I'm probably going to give Slitherine money this sale, just because I'm enjoying Field of Glory 2 so much! I fought a quickfight where I was Romans vs lots of mounted horse archers and lost...and still actually had fun analyzing how I lost and laying out my strategy for next time. It's somehow transparent enough that I can figure out how to improve things (thanks, crystal-clear UI and not too crunchy rules) while also crunchy enough that I feel like it's an actually interesting simulation... and it's giving me the itch to read up on ancient history, which I appreciate!