Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What did you expect from a casual game? It's not like this game is simulating U-Boat warfare at all, it's just candy-crush with a lick of u-boat grey paint and the cooks' blood in the corner of the galley.

Real U-boat nuts will disregard this game purely because the provisions officer looks like a pirate popeye kinda guy, and you can pickup sauerkraut from the boxes of the freighters you have sunk with you 20mm AA gun. Brilliant.

This game / simulation of uboot warfare will ONLY apply to casual gamers, people who are interested in end-round attacks, relative bearings, plotting and not running around the u-boat like a headless chicken need not apply, after all the consensus is that there is no place for sub-nuts here only Legends and World of warships warriors are permitted to their casual candy crush simulator.

source your quotes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

Right, with RTW2 less than a week to go, and with a new thread, I think we should remind people of some ground rules.

1) No spoilers - I'll never forget the time that poor goon had the ending of WITE spoiled. "but how was I supposed to know Germany lost!" he cried. no one wants to have the ending spoiled - we want that end game cut scene to be meaningful.
2) No anime fan art. - Battleships are sexy beasts, do not demean them by drawing them as grossly disproportioned girls.
3) No Slash fics. - That Warspite/Enterprise thing will haunt us until the rest of our days.

Thanks!

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 18, 2019

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

just wait a day and see how many posts rtw2 generates

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

so... do you think rtw2 is gonna be good

i find it disconcerting none of the dev diaries have been with majors like us or uk. I want to see a battle with more than 3 carriers involved.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I WANNA SEE

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

sad lol

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It's fine. It'll probably be turbo easy to bypass

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

will any of the actual major groups even notice rtw2

who knows

quote:

The system we are working with is very simple and easy to use and will allow all to instantly play RTW2 after download for a certain time length while you wait for the final registration unlock code.

I'm going to laugh if this lets you break the drm with a memory editor.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Flight commander 3 when

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

nobody likes a narc

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

same, i'm assembling a team of elite street racers to rob a semitruck carrying palletes of all the serial codes while its in transit

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

loving boomers

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

they didn't put in folding wings so the file size is much greater

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9AbeALNVkk

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

gently caress

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Is there like a sports analogy for last minute gently caress ups of this magnitude

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Popete posted:

UBOAT early access starts tomorrow at 12:00PM Eastern. Not particularly Groggy but figured people here would be interested.

more like youboat

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Phi230 posted:

10 days till rule the waves and the hype seems to have died in here lol

It was murdered by the devs

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

woo....

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

http://www.navalwarfare.net/files/SAI/RTW2Demo_Setup.exe

IT BEGINS

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The restrictions regarding building your first CV are bullshit!!!!!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The answer is stupider

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Pirate Radar posted:

Ships without catapults have to be manually told to stop in order to crane the planes into the water (to be clear, having to stop is historical and realistic, I have no problem there) but also even that often doesn’t work because they forgot to test launching planes from ships without catapults.

When asked why they made the demo 1920 instead of some other year they made it clear that it’s actually a lot of work for them to set up a new start date.

also cruisers WITH catapaults can't launch flotplanes

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

PISS

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YxaaGgTQYM

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

they should have waited till the game was actually gold apparently

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

that cant be the devs cause of the anime avatar

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

uPen posted:

He responded back to me. The initial email I got was just a 50 character long string separated by hyphens and a space. Apparently, the 18 characters preceding the space were the serial number, the subsequent characters were the activation code. How silly of me to not know.

I love drm systems that actively talk down to me.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Squiggle posted:

Oh man, okay - I'm starting out as Italy to keep my interest to one area. Here's a few things I'm currently wondering, though I suspect some of this would be fixed by just...reading about ships:

1. I have no real concept of how "fast" or "armored" or "gunned" a given class should be. Is it wisest to look at historical ships and figure it out from there? The legacy fleet has 500 ton displacement destroyers, and that seems...small, since I know Arleigh Burkes are 9k+, but I don't really know how DDs have evolved since 1900. My current dockyard max is only 17k, but I don't know what kind of boats I "should" be building with that capacity.

battleships and heavy cruisers should be armored against their own guns if you want adequate protection(Check the button labeled gun data). Of course you won't always be able to get a complete zone of immunity. Engine tech should allow you to build 25 knot battleships by the 1920s. Before then try not to dip below 18.

Cruisers should be around 8k to 15k tonnage. CA's also get some what obseloted in the early dreadnought era but become more relevant once the 20s come around.

Light cruisers are of dubious usage fleet wise in the 1900s and should be built for either trade protection, colonial duty, or raiding. This changes in the 1910s once you get better turret and ship design tech. If in doubt if you have above waterline torpedos then build some CLs.

DDs are hard restricted below certain tonnages by techs at the start of the game.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I personally spend most of the game in a constant state of budget deficit and anxiety

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

anyone else getting a glitch in rtw2 where none of your land based air units are spawning

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

you fool you idiot you moron

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

just found out its physically impossible to invade india in rtw2 and now I'm distraught

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I can invade all of china though!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

that still doesn't explain why aircraft advancement stops 5 years before the game ends.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

CV/CVL conversion doesn't even cover the main source of conversions which was rebuilding capital ships mid construction because of treaty obligations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

SerthVarnee posted:

Absolutely torpedoes for subs, they are free to restock at the nearest naval base anyways, so just throw a full spread at each sub and then focus on dodging their torpedo waves. Airplanes are absolutely masters of the field, but they are a bit random and a bit limited in ranges to be entirely relied upon. Also any torpedo you launch will travel just under 2800 (whatever distance unit is used in the game) before the enemy gets to move. minimum distance for the torpedo to arm is 1000, so if you are using subs you just bait the enemy destroyer into closing that range and then introduce him to twin torpedoes for instant seducing action.

Speaking of carriers, i had a battle today against a carrier that actually managed to get off a flight of torpedo bombers.
it took 4 torpedo runs before they sunk my light cruiser and their 5th run was for some reason used against their own carrier. Incidentally i now know that at least enemy torpedoes will just phase straight through their own ships to continue on after your ships.

Also if the enemy sinks your last warship, they will surface their sub and start shelling your freighters. It turns out that a freighter can ram a sub to death in one impact.
I really wish there was a way to end the battle with autoresolve once the allies are reduced to defenceless freighters, and thats regardless of whether im playing as the axis or the allies.

there is tho

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

been playing the new total war, are any of the koei rot3k games good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I thought that series had some groggy stuff because of the character aspects???