Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
They locked their thread. I was in the middle of replying to a [non-dev] guy who said:

quote:

Say you weave a basket, and it takes four hours to weave the basket. You determine the cost of the basket for sale will be $40. Your labor per hour to make the basket was $10. If someone steals the basket, then you make $0 and all of the labor hours you put into making the basket are lost, they're now worth $0. Say you make 40 baskets, and sell each at $40 dollars, if someone steals one of your baskets, that you produced, you just lost one fortieth of the value.

as if he thinks you gotta code up each copy of a game you sell :negative:

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Because their whole reason for adding this new DRM is that they noticed RTW was pirated and concluded they needed this to save their sales.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

I'm not buying it because I genuinely don't believe that codes will be sent out or, even if they are, will be usable a year from now. This is nonsense

Oh this isn't a new system for them, in some ways it's actually more user-friendly with their DRM. If you buy RTW, for example, you cannot install it until the manually email you a serial. With RTW2 you will be able to install and play for some undefined time while waiting for your DRM code.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Practically speaking it's still safer to just not include them rather than risk not being rated though.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Having worked in the industry before these sorts of art assets are easy to switch and replace, so you (grog developer) might as well submit with the swastika. Worst case scenario you get rejected, and then swap out the assets.

I also work in the industry and was speaking from our (PDS's) PoV. Speaking abstractly it should be simple enough to colour swap the blood too, but in war even the simplest things can be very difficult :shrug:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

OddObserver posted:

The manual would probably be helpful, too (unless it's available and I just missed it?)

The manual is in the demo's files. There's a manual folder.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I ended up not buying RTW2, everything is too dumb.

Does the store even tell you that you are buying an early access version?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I'm sure that and the bit about the refund wasn't on the store page yesterday, but it is now, so good.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

LostCosmonaut posted:

So apparently certain features just haven't been implemented yet; http://nws-online.proboards.com/post/44162/thread

Early access :shrug:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Not having played RTW2 yet it seems like there's not enough incentive not to switch to full on airpower ASAP. We all know CVs obsolete BBs, but the devs probably don't want to make the AI go all in because it's not historical, so there needs to be restrictions on the player* too, otherwise you'll just clown the AI from the air forever.

* = Or just have the AIs react to the player going full CV and go full CVs themselves.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
If it doesn't simulate things well enough to make invading LA impossible, or at least incredibly difficult, is it truly a grog game? :hmmyes:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

gazza posted:

Nice, Red Turn is also what got me into late war Soviet operations, though they are somewhat difficult to find in computer wargame form. The other games I can think of that touch this period are Steel Panthers World at War/winSPWW2, John Tiller's Campaign Series, Squad Battles: Red Victory, Red Thunder by digital gameworks, Decisive Battles Korsun, and there are probably a bunch of TOAW IV scenarios too.

Order of Battle has this coming out soon:
https://www.matrixgames.com/game/order-of-battle-red-steel
Although I guess you'll need to wait on the next one to get the final years.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

There was this very lightweight Barbarossa game, released as a standalone executable I think, that was just a single monochrome map of the east front and you as Germany would focus resources on different army groups, and at the end you'd be graded by how you fared in the post-war warcrimes trial. Anyone remember what I'm talking about?

http://www.rodvik.com/rodgames/STAVKA-OKH.html

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

lol at the MAKE YOUR OWN GAME THEN response to complaining about a objectively lovely store gently caress off

As someone who has made games, I also think the Matrix site is awful. Although it could be worse, it could be the RTW dev's site.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

And it may be that today NATO has a strict set of symbols, those symbols have been been used with quite a lot of variations in the past by different armies, and using them in the modern way for even WWII is already an anachronism, let alone for 6000 years in the future.

Perhaps it was the decay of precision in NATO symbols which lead to the downfall of the galactic empire?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
So battlefront has gone bankrupt then? A shame.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Yesterday Slitherine sent me an email to say Shadow Empire is out. Bit weird I thought, since it's been out for like a week, but ok. Today they sent me the same email again. Has Slitherine finally realised they should be marketing their games, but don't know quite how?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I have no idea about this besides that it exists, but:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1021100/Aircraft_Carrier_Survival/

E: I suppose also RTW2?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
:confused:
This is still a pinned topic on the c# install forum:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=10775.0

e: regarding Aurora mods being banned

e2: but they also have a mods forum there, so uh
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=294.0

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 14, 2020

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
quote is not edit.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

The book I have on the action is "Killing the Bismarck" by Ian Ballantyne. It's not a historical work, the author is more of a journalist/"popular" historian, but it holds up alright and has quite a bit of detail.

I was very much not expecting to find someone with almost the same name, from the same area, who also works with WWII pop history today, and yet here I am.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
^^^: I also recommend DC Barbarossa.

gradenko_2000 posted:

HOI4 is an awful game and I don't understand how people like it.

:(

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Alchenar posted:

In a previous incarnation of the paradox thread I remember doing a post mortem of HOI3 (possibly even with you) where I said that one of the key flaws of HOI3 as a game is that it breaks the rule of Paradox games that the player should understand who they are because that's the natural centre of gravity of their decision making. In CK you are a specific individual playing through a dynasty. In EU and Vicky you represent the collective government-plus-head-of-state of the nation. In HOI3 however you are all of the government plus every single colonel in the army and it's a completely unmanageable mess. It's unclear who or what the player represents and where their influence over events lies.

HOI4 answers this question conclusively - you are the head-of-state warmaster and the decisions you make are clearly at that level, with political capital being the main resource limiting your ability to guide your nation into war preparedness. There's extra powers around the edges that a real person wouldn't have, but it's all complementary to an obvious cohering purpose in the decisions the player has to make.

That is one of the many reasons why HOI4 is a far superior game. Other reasons include resources actually mattering, the game taking place in a world where countries have histories and actually want things, the dynamic weather system not permanently freezing the globe after the first winter,

e: I would like the actual warfighting stuff to be better, but warfighting has never been satisfactory in any paradox game and they've experimented with a lot of different iterations of the core model. As long as that's the case I'd prefer for their games not to learn on their weakest point.

I wasn't expecting a serious reply to my silly post, but thanks! I do remember some of that analysis, and I'm glad HoI4 achieved many of our design goals even if it has its own problems and isn't to everyone's taste.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I can sign into the Matrix forum just fine, but if I try to sign up for the Distant world 2 beta it says my username doesn't exist, so :shrug:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I don't know how to process a 2021 release of what looks like a mediocre early 2000s RTS based on a 1997 movie.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Is that a really frowny face in the middle there or a distorted unit symbol?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Yooper posted:

I don't think any do it justice, if anything they should make it a lot worse.

I don't recall who mentioned HOI4, but the US industrial output in the game would need to be 20 times what it is to be historical (or some such ridiculous quantity). War in the East makes an effort, but I don't know how factual it is. Someone in the Milhist thread basically said any scholarship on the issue that occurred prior to the Soviet Archives being accessed is one sided at best and likely leaning heavily on the German side.

I set the initial IC levels in HoI4 based on a mix of GDP, Steel production, and a few other factors (I dunno if/how they have changed in the years since) and yeah, the US got a hefty bump downwards to avoid having all sorts of extra rules for them. Italy had to get a large increase and Japan a modest one just to have them be in the same league. And that was even with the Fascist powers being able to use the war economy laws much earlier than democracies.

Plus, a lot of the early Axis success comes from the Allies not being prepared for war, thinking they can solve things short of war, and German/Japan taking some insane risks that caught their opponents flatfooted. Playing a wargame that starts before WWII broke out, everyone knows war is coming so that's all thrown out the window. You need to even out the industry somewhat and give the Allies a lot of hoops to jump through to unlock their potential. It's the same reason division templates need XP to change, players know how vital fast medium armoured divisions and motorised/mechanised infantry can be, so you need to prevent massive army reformation being their Day1 activity.

I should really play it again sometime and see how it turned out.

Fray posted:

A lot of it is that Speer himself spent his entire postwar life spinning endless self-serving bullshit, both about his accomplishments as Armaments Minister and about his warcrimes culpability. Cold War historians were embarrassingly credulous towards him, as they often were with retired Nazis. A lot of these myths come from Speer telling everyone who would listen that he alone was responsible for turning the armaments program circa 1943. He would have everyone believe that the German state didn't know to take the war seriously until he showed up to tell them. The reality is that he arrived just in time for a bunch of earlier industrial investments to start paying off for Germany, the European food crisis of 41-42 was passing, and the guest/slave worker program was finally working effectively (in turn largely due to the food crisis passing).

Also, post war Germans were suddenly our friends and allies against the USSR, so there was a lot of reason to separate the generals from the Nazis, talk up the amazing qualities of the German armies, and paint the soviets as the savage unwashed horde.

The western allies also liked to talk up the prowess of the Germans because it gives them excuses for their failures and makes for a more epic story: "The amazing German army was really great and powerful and beat us at first but through pluck and determination we eventually overcame them!" Sounds a lot better than "We really hosed up the early years, but basically couldn't have really lost and our industry was so overwhelming it was just a matter of exactly which year we'd win in".

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 22, 2021

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Q_res posted:

If I'm not mistaken the Soviets tested exactly that with a captured King Tiger, shooting it with the HE shell from a 152mm gun and it broke the hull welds.

http://www.tankarchives.ca/2013/03/suisu-152-vs-german-big-cats.html
http://www.tankarchives.ca/2013/03/is-2-vs-german-big-cats.html

The 152 link only talks about AP, but the IS-2 article does mention this effect on a King Tiger with its 122mm HE:

quote:

"Shot #1. Target: upper front plate. Shell: 122 mm HE-fragmentation.
Result: spalling across an area 300 mm by 300 mm. The welding seam between the upper front plate and the machine gun port burst on 3/4 of its circumference. Internal bolts holding the machine gun ball were torn off. The welding seam between the upper front plate and the right side burst, and the right side was displaced by 5 mm. The tank caught fire internally."

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Tank crew is 40% off too - is it worth it? Still gonna be 50 euros with the base game.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

never buy a video game for more than 20 dollars

I make video games and SA regs aren't free :(((

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I had no idea DW2 was so close. Have they said much about what's new?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I'm not sure the French army was superior to the German in every way in 1940.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

I cannot speak for the French Air Force, but the French army had superior equipment, superior armored fighting vehicles, superior artillery, etc. Where it lacked was doctrinal aspects related to armor and mobile warfare.

Well, I mean, superior armour is debatable since you need to account for how useful having more radios and not having the commander be loading the gun or something is too, and I think the Germans had more/better squad level machine guns, but my main point was that clearly they were not better in every way or they would not have been crushed in a fashion which has (unfairly) made the French Army a byword for defeat ever since. I'm sure there was other material differences too, perhaps the German boot or the supply of tanker-meth, but the key thing is those doctrinal and leadership aspects are pretty important and have to be included as part of "every way".

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 22, 2021

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

The Char B1 did not have three main turrets. Not only did it not have three main turrets, it was used by both the Germans and the Free French until 1945. It was a good tank.

A far better tank than the Panzer IIs and IIIs that invaded France in 1940.

You can say what you will about not having radios, but French armor outperformed German armor on multiple occasions, including the the Battle of Hannut, which was the largest tank battle yet fought as of May 1940.

French armor destroyed 160+ German tanks for a loss of 91. That’s about 1.76 to 1 even without radios in every tank.

Did you make the same typo twice or have you confused what we are talking about?

Being used throughout the war hardly means it was a good tank, especially when talking about the Free French who were somewhat lacking in armaments factories, or the Germans who were constantly short on tanks due to... well, a bunch of reasons.

It's weird that you're comparing a breakthrough tank to light and medium tanks and declaring that the tank with the heavier armour and larger gun the clear winner. Being good at killing other tanks is nice, the key uses of armour is exploitation, not slugging matches. No one cares about kill ratios when your entire army has been cut off by a more mobile enemy and forced to surrender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
He probably means Poland could have handed over Danzig and caved to any other demands instead of fighting if they hadn't been confident the French were up for attacking ASAP. I'm not sure they would have though, they fought the Soviets in the 20s and grabbed some Czech land when the nazis carved them up - then in the actual war they choose to defend at the border instead of behind their rivers so as not not to lose any territory, which was one reason they lost so quickly, so I'm not sure they would have caved to any demands Allied support or not. Who knows though.