Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

Well, I couldn't let Dreadnought go by without taking a look. Sadly somewhat more restrictive than RtW but hey.

Initially, I decided to embrace the spirit of the age by making a ship that can fight on both broadsides at once.

This progressed to attempting to out-do the Agincourt.

Followed by a diversion into cross-deck firing to create the Saddest Yamato

Finally... this.

All in all, very promising but give it a while unless you're super into making boats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

My current challenge in Sprocket is making myself a viable light tank. I've managed to get down to a 10t 2-man machine with a 43mm cannon, but beyond that I can't seem to get myself something resembling the Model1/FT-17. I suspect it might be something to do with the size of the cannon.

Also, bonus garbage tank

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

skooma512 posted:

How does Sprocket determine a good or bad tank? Is it just a pure sandbox or can you like, test it or make it duel with other tanks?

There's a series of missions currently in-game with broad dates from 1918 to 1945, and the amount of stuff and weight you can put on your monstrosity depends on the era. Generally there's a few objectives from 'kill the arty', 'escape' and my favourite 'Kill that hull down King Tiger with a lower tech base'.

Each scenario also has a weight limit, but if you have a tank substantially below that limit, you'll get extra vehicles.

There is of course a difference between 'successful' and 'good'.

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Gonk Droids are not tanks

They were neither sucessful nor good tanks, no.

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

hannibal posted:

Not the Cold War but I found this Twitter thread and some of the links in it really fascinating; it's about electronic warfare during the Battle of the Bulge and in WW2.

[snip]

https://www.aerosociety.com/media/15088/2020-06-36-bs-rcm-ops-18-nov-20.pdf

http://www.ibiblio.org/cizewski/signalcorps/114/EWWW2.pdf

One of my favourite bits of EW in WW2 is the 'Battle of the Beams' in which the Germans kept coming up with new ways to get their bombers to drop bombs in the correct location, and a team of brits in sheds kept coming up with ways to gently caress with them, from false beacons to error signals and so forth.

The absolute best bit was the final one:

quote:

The British were ready for this system even before it was used. By chance, the Germans had chosen the operating frequency of the Wotan system very badly; it operated on 45 MHz, which just happened to be the frequency of the powerful-but-dormant BBC television transmitter at Alexandra Palace.

So over a fair while, the world service transmitter was turned up and up.

quote:

As Y-Gerät's use went on, the aircrew accused the ground station of sending bad signals and the ground station alleged the aircraft had loose connections. The whole scheme appealed to Jones as he was a natural practical joker, and remarked that he was able to play one of the largest practical jokes with virtually any national resource that he required. The gradually increasing power conditioned the Germans such they did not realise that anyone was interfering with the system, but believed that it suffered several inherent defects. Eventually, as the power was increased enough, the whole Y-Gerät system started to ring with all the feedback.

Finally they figured out they'd been hosed with from day one and just gave up with the guidance systems.

Edit: There's also the part where both the UK and Germany had developed Chaff/Window/Duppel at about the same time and then didn't use it for a year in the logic that as soon as they did the other side would immediately work out what it was and do it back.

TacticalNecromancy fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 10, 2022