Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

I might be misremembering, but I seem to vaguely recall that the conventional balance of forces was deliberately shaped by NATO to create the disparity that would have resulted in an outcome where the use of tactical nuclear weapons would be justifiable, and that the Soviets knew this, so it was a kind of stand-off where the Soviets understood that any conventional conflict would find NATO so outmatched (on purpose) that they could rationalize using nukes, which could predictably be assumed to escalate into a larger nuclear exchange, at which point MAD kicks in and so you just don't start the conventional conflict at all.

There was a post a while back in either this thread or the milhist one about how the respective militaries calculated casualty rates for frontline divisions in the first few days of a conventional war in Cold War Europe were something obscene like 80% for troops and vehicles, does that ring any bells? Think it might have been while talking about Combat Mission Black Sea and how it being hyper lethal is Historically Accurate or something along this lines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
Is there any reason not to get Strategic Command World at War over War in Europe? WaW seems like it has more stuff and maybe modded maps to bring euro focus back or am I totally wrong on that

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

sgbyou posted:

Sometimes you don't really want to eat the WHOLE pizza.

i am not a coward.

Nah but these are valid points. I generally prefer Europe & North Africa as theatres compared to the Pacific but having it all in one sounds neat and I love the idea of controlling a single nation and despairing as my allies continually gently caress up. Really they should just add a western front map to the newer game to cater for my own specific taste

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

Tevery Best posted:

Make a little horse courier graphic riding to the unit, but sometimes the courier rides very slowly and by the time they get there the rest of the army has all eaten Reb bayonets and you're very sad

also if you're McClellan random enemy units appear 50% more numerous (not all of them so that you can't math it out)

I'm pretty sure Take Command and Scourge of War have that system, where when you give an order it's sent by courier to the commander of that unit and they'll only act once the message arrives - for the player as well, if you receive the order it comes up as a message on the screen once it's delivered.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
Combined Fleet is also a good resource to scroll through for WW2, ran by Jonathan Parshall and Anthony Tully - the page on war production is a fave for showing just how insanely dominant the US was at dumping out ships compared to Japan

Not the Messiah fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 6, 2024