Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

Welp, glad I got to see it in-person in the mid 2000s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

I'm guessing France doesn't have any helicopters or planes on hand that can dump that fire retardant foam, like we in the US break out when $WILDFIRE_RANDOM_VAR breaks out. Or prepping these aircraft takes quite a while. Or dumping said foam on an 800-year-old building was deemed by people who know more about firefighting than me to be a horrendously bad idea. Or a combination thereof.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

StarMinstrel posted:

imagine living the rest of your life with being the builder that did a woopsy and destroyed a worldwide monument as well known as the pyramids

Lots of people either would not give two tugs of a dead dog's dick because they're that callous or that filled with "nothing matters" nihilism, yet are too chicken poo poo to chug some Drano, lay down in their bathtub, and let the void embrace them. That's what always gets me.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

Moridin920 posted:

It's not that I don't care it's just that what's really left anymore but to howl with laughter?

Laughing so as to avoid screaming in terror and/or anger or crying with frustration? OK, I can understand and even agree with that.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

Zzulu posted:

It's just some loving building who gives a poo poo!!! there are starving kids all over the world. They're loving dying of hunger and malaria you piece of poo poo, you loving demon

This is worth zero concern, zero empathy. You fuckshit, you animal

"oh no the ROSE WINDOWS"

loving WINDOWS??? You cretinous goblin

Ahhhh crap. If only someone had told us we can only care about one thing at a time!

This building is (or was) part of humanity's historical legacy, another entry in our species' diary so to speak, an example of what we can do, of the works we can build, and so forth.

You calling people cretinous goblins and not caring about the historical and cultural significance of this is like some 600 lb. blob of beef tallow in a rascal scooter calling someone a fatass.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

Apparently some statues were removed by crane last week from the spire that collapsed so... uhh.... at least something from the spire survived? :unsmith:

... :smith:

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

Moridin920 posted:

Humans deserve nuclear fire hth

Edit: Removed original comment. Just because some people suck rear end doesn't mean the entirety of our species deserves to die.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

Sid Vicious posted:

Hey let's not do this

Sorry, I crossed a line I shouldn't have; comment removed. I eventually just reach a limit with people who say poo poo like nothing matters, humanity deserves to die, etc.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Don't feel bad Sid it was a really stupid comment anyway.

A 12th century building is burning to the ground I can only relate to the world through pop culture hurr durr gimme a minute I'm gonna see if I can think of a video game joke.

lol like i'm gonna post a meme and like stuff

...why will like no one hire me

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

Church official says that the entire frame and the interior is engulfed in flames. Goddamnit.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Entropy reduces all things to dust, nothing can ever be preserved, the glory of humanity is not in preserving what cannot be eternal, but in building the new from its ashes

aka this is not the end of the Notre Dame, it is another chapter in its story

I don't think anyone worth listening to is saying otherwise. We as a species will not just throw up our hands and go "Welp, so much for that!" and then build a WeWork office complex there. It still doesn't make the damage and the presumed loss of all the artifacts within any less heart-rending, though.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

smoobles posted:

Is this severe autism or trolling

They mentioned eastern Europe in one of their posts. That's all you need to know about the "nothing matters, everything is gray and filled with misery and vodka, just like my family" mindset.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

This should be the background of the cover of the properly-concluding last season of Metalocalypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

If people type like 14-year-old girls talk, namely saying like every five words or so, odds are they're not very bright and whatever they're spewing forth should be read accordingly. Just a heads up.