Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

FredMSloniker posted:

I've changed my mind about putting the difficulty level to a vote raffle, because boy howdy, getting this post ready let me know that 'less brutal' than Deep Space D-6 does not mean 'not brutal'. We'll start on Easy and see if we can earn a higher difficulty.

Good plan! I've noticed with a lot of good solo board games there definitely seems to be a trend for Easy/Normal to be pretty challenging and then harder difficulties ramping up pretty quickly as they give you less resources, make rolls more difficult, or shorten various clocks the game uses.

Deep Space D-6 was a pretty good game, and it absolutely shocked me how much better the Star Trek version of it is. It goes a little overboard on the components, but that is absolutely in service to making the game better and not just making it more "Star Trek." DSD6 runs into the problem a lot where it seems like there's always on optimal play to be made and thus it feels like there's not a lot of player choice. Star Trek on the other hand gives you lots of ways to change the sides of your dice and so many different places they can be played that I feel like it's really hard to get into a situation where you feel like you're following a flowchart.

I've never played with the Away Team expansion stuff, so that's definitely something I'm going to keep my eye on in this thread to see how that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU