Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I plan on getting an extra external HD for backup purposes and wanted to store it somewhere that isn't my house, to avoid losing all my data in the rare event that my house is robbed or catches fire. I had the idea that I could store it in my car trunk, but immediately thought of the risks of high temperatures in the summer. The hottest it typically gets here in the summer is 90 degrees, although occasionally it is possible to get to around 100. My trunk is completely shielded from any outside light, but will it still run the risk of getting too hot for an external HD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
You could make a friend instead.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Ouch. It needs to be somewhere I can grab every couple days without going out of my way.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Just get a Dropbox account and back up to that, unless you have a huge amount of data ?

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I thought about that but it's $200 for a year of 2TB and right now an 8TB external is $135. And yeah, I'm working with a lot of raw video files so it adds up quickly.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's also moisture in a car. I think that would damage the drive before heat did. I think the best option would be one of those cold storage backups that charge for recovery but let you back up really cheaply.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

What if someone steals your car?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

A safe deposit box is like :20bux: for a year.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Just use one of the cloud backup solutions: backblaze, carbonite, hubic, mozy, amazon glacier...
Cheaper than Dropbox & a lot easier than storing a HD in your trunk.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

100F is, like, a normal operating temperature for a HDD, with no ill effects on its long-term health.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Yea its fine. There are cars that have hard drives installed in them from the factory and yours isn't even going to be running.

Id pack it in a box full of bubble or foam though.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
Get an Otterbox or similar that will fit your drive. It'll protect from moisture and a measure of drop damage. I've seen some cheap ones at Harbor Freight recently.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Make a regular, offsite backup of the car and you should be fine.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

apropos man posted:

Make a regular, offsite backup of the car and you should be fine.

You wouldn't download a car ?!

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Chikimiki posted:

You wouldn't download a car ?!

:golfclap:

More of a concern is how you are going to secure/mount that drive so you're not bouncing that backup drive around the car. I would hope you're going to use an SSD instead of a mechanical HDD and end up loving up your drive platters/heads from all the motion its going to be getting regardless if the drive is off and not in active use... You should seriously consider cloud backups or keep the HDD stowed elsewhere less likely to be involved in an auto accident... perhaps if not a safety deposit box, a home safe or hidey hole at work?

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 23, 2019

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Slayerjerman posted:

:golfclap:

More of a concern is how you are going to secure/mount that drive so you're not bouncing that backup drive around the car. I would hope you're going to use an SSD instead of a mechanical HDD and end up loving up your drive platters/heads from all the motion its going to be getting regardless if the drive is off and not in active use... You should seriously consider cloud backups or keep the HDD stowed elsewhere less likely to be involved in an auto accident... perhaps if not a safety deposit box, a home safe or hidey hole at work?

bubble wrap my dude

This is a redundant backup. Backup A is in my home.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Why would you not just get a $10 crashplan subscription and use that instead of relying on a USB drive in your trunk? I mean unless said data is non-commercial and losing all of it doesn't mean financial problems.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
When a HD is powered down and the heads are parked off the platters, if it gets hosed up by "vibrations" that means your car has been in a high-speed collision and you have a bigger problem than your backup HD. Long-term moisture is maybe more of an issue, but at 8TB you can go for the sealed helium-filled ones that won't give a poo poo unless moisture is actually corroding the circuit board.

SSDs are not great as backup drives because:
1) they're still more expensive per-bit, plus many people have a spare HD or two
2) unpowered data retention is a potential issue for SSDs
3) NAND memory in SSDs actually likes being warm, but doesn't like being hot hot hot

Grabbing the first HD data sheet that came to hand
pre:
Environmental     Temperature (°C)
Operating         5 to 55
Non-operating     -40 to 70
Your trunk could hit 70C on a hot day in the sun, but spec sheets are conservative and it'll probably be fine. Wait for it to cool off before you plug it in.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Magnetic media decays under high heat/humidity conditions. Inside of cars can get really hot over the summer and I would expect that to bleed back through the rear seats in to the trunk inside a couple hours. Seems like a bad idea.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Buy a fireproof safe and hide it in a secret place in your house where burglars won't find it.

Because if they steal your PC, they are going to steal your car as well.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
If I had to do this, I'd buy something like this and keep the drive in that inside my car. Should provide some shock protection and a bit of a buffer for temperature issues in addition to humidity protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shut up Meg posted:

Buy a fireproof safe and hide it in a secret place in your house where burglars won't find it.

Because if they steal your PC, they are going to steal your car as well.

Keep in mind you'll want to get a fire safe specifically rated for computer media, because your average fire safe is only concerned with making sure paper documents don't catch fire.