Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I plan on getting an extra external HD for backup purposes and wanted to store it somewhere that isn't my house, to avoid losing all my data in the rare event that my house is robbed or catches fire. I had the idea that I could store it in my car trunk, but immediately thought of the risks of high temperatures in the summer. The hottest it typically gets here in the summer is 90 degrees, although occasionally it is possible to get to around 100. My trunk is completely shielded from any outside light, but will it still run the risk of getting too hot for an external HD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Ouch. It needs to be somewhere I can grab every couple days without going out of my way.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I thought about that but it's $200 for a year of 2TB and right now an 8TB external is $135. And yeah, I'm working with a lot of raw video files so it adds up quickly.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Slayerjerman posted:

:golfclap:

More of a concern is how you are going to secure/mount that drive so you're not bouncing that backup drive around the car. I would hope you're going to use an SSD instead of a mechanical HDD and end up loving up your drive platters/heads from all the motion its going to be getting regardless if the drive is off and not in active use... You should seriously consider cloud backups or keep the HDD stowed elsewhere less likely to be involved in an auto accident... perhaps if not a safety deposit box, a home safe or hidey hole at work?

bubble wrap my dude

This is a redundant backup. Backup A is in my home.