Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
Halla
Luck:7/7, Harm:0/7, Unstable?:no, Experience:4/5

"You have seen my history, Bianca. At least a glimpse." I frowned, studying the face of the one who would proclaim herself my friend closely. "So you would do to remember that in my world, dreamwalkers are at best faerie temptresses, like your Alicia, and at worst, the sort of monstrosity I have come to this place to destroy. To suggest that I would number amongst them is an insult." I inhale.

"Besides which, I am no infant fowl - indeed I am simply a warrior with a blade, and cannon, and fists. One learns to be simple if one is to survive in Ebonmire."

Tilting my head, I cover the distance between us, such that I can feel her breath and she mine. An intimidation tactic. "Now, tell me, what truly is the purpose for this questioning? If you intend some manner of chicanery over me know that I am prepared to meet it with those simple skills I have espoused, as necessary."

@LifeGetsWorser: 2d6+1 Sharply Investigating the mystery of Bianca = (2+2)+1 = 5

Still, looking in her eyes I saw no malicious intent. Perhaps this was some sort of social ritual in this world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Bianca

"Bits, sure, but..." I start to say, and humph. Talking about Alicia like that, where does she get off? She's such a....*nice* temptress. "Nobody's that simple, Halla," I shoot back, "And saying otherwise just makes it seem like you have something to hide." Which...she probably does. Probably lots of things.

But maybe not the dreams?

Halla gets up in my grill, and I take a small step back, before I find my balance, and stop. No, no, I'm not going to let her do this to me. Be pushy angry girl. I can....

"I need you to come into my dreams," I tell her. The idea just clicked into my head, and now it makes sense. "I've been having strange dreams, and...." I huff. "You're the strongest-willed person I know. That'll matter."

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Halla
Luck:7/7, Harm:0/7, Unstable?:no, Experience:5/5

I frowned at Bianca's retort. I had quite literally just explained why it was folly to walk through dreams, and the girl immediately requested such of me.

However, this entire argument was throwing us off-course. We needed the quicksilver from the charlatan's laboratory and as previously stated I was not the person to identify the carrying container myself. I was certain I could distract the charlatan long enough to allow Bianca to locate the item in question. But she seemed fixated on my entering her dreams before that.

"Fine!" I huffed, more than a bit agitated at the nature of the request. "If it will end this line of inquiry, then I shall accede to your request. We shall determine the best method of such a thing after we have dealt with the immediate issue, yes? Now, how best to distract Mr. Murphy such that we can acquire the quicksilver for the ritual?"

Halla will agree to the request and I shall consume an XP and purchase Ancient Fighting Arts from the Initiate Playbook with my advance.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Becky: after the others (sans Tabitha, of course) make sympathetic noises, they head out to Ms. Kim's. Crystal even offers to bring you back a Starbucks as a pick-me-up, which is sweet. So, how do you kill some time while you're waiting for the others?

Keely: in-between the reminiscing about past hunts and the griping about your yardwork, you finish clearing the area and head back to Becky's room, where you spot Alicia modeling for some art students with... Lea. You know, the faerie , the sylvan that got really attached to the creative part of your mind that she tried to have you just endlessly create for her, forever. So, probably some mixed feelings there. Also, Alicia looks totally spaced out, just posing and posting without a care in the world. ...Is that what you looked like? Do you think Lea has some kind of hold on her, or is it just Alicia being Alicia?

What do you do?

Alicia: This is just what you needed after the last few miserable days, and no need to stop modeling while we talk of course, but I'm curious. How much have you told the others about Arcadia and faerie magic? What haven't you told them, at least?

Team Elm Street: While you hash out a deal about Bianca's dreams, you hear Mr. Murphy give a start as he jerks awake for the fourth time since you've arrived and gets back to grading papers.

What do you do?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Bianca | 7 Luck | 0 Harm (Stable) | 2 XP

Sweet. Got Halla onboard, even if she's being pissy about it. I briefly consider searching her mind for insight on her dreams, to pry into what's in her dreams - she seems awfully opposed to it.

Another time, maybe.

I tilt my head and eye Halla, and then speak into her mind. ~You could go ask about your grades. Or we could drug his drink. Or just sneak past him. What do you think?~

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Halla
Luck:7/7, Harm:0/7, Unstable?:no, Experience:0/5

My eyes go wide a moment as Bianca's thoughts enter my mind. I knew she was capable of such witchcraft, but it was nevertheless an exceedingly unpleasant experience.

I relaxed after half a moment, taking my hand off the hilt of my sheathed sword (and realizing it was there at roughly the same time), and sighed. "Perhaps it would be best if you attempted some sort of charm upon him to distract him. Something like what you just did to me." I suggested, speaking lowly.

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 7, 2019

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Alicia Cole | 7 Luck | 0 Harm (Stable) | 3 XP

Hmm, how much have I told them? Uh... not much, really. Like it's not that it's a secret or something I don't want them to know, I guess, it's just kind of hard to put into words that aren't going to make some minds explode. It's probably pretty obvious that I feed on the emotions around me when I do magic: remember that bit with happiness lasers? It flavors everything I do, though that's pretty standard for fae stuff. We all have our own specialties and focuses and the like, like how mine is Joy. I'm way amped up when that's on the scene. Like, seriously, if I wanted to stop modeling — I don't, by the way, which is why I'm not — I could do some crazy magic right now.

As for Arcadia itself, that's more like... hm. It's an experience? Like everything about it is very responsive to mood and feel and general vibes. It's kind of like how you get what you're looking for when you do drugs, right? If you're anxious about it going in, it's going to be a bad time. If, like me, you're 100% an unstoppable ray of sunshine, it's basically the best place ever.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Keely
Luck:7/7, Harm:0/7, Unstable?:no, Experience:2/5

What is this dummy doing? We've got a ghost to catch, especially a ghost that may hate faeries, you absolute..

I calm down, take a deep breath. I mean, it's six of one and half dozen of the other. Alicia is doing Alicia things, but I'm pretty sure she's not usually this focused on doing Alicia things. When I was entranced by Lea, she was making me draw and paint and stuff like that. I mean, I'm not some sort of super artist, but I picked up a bit while learning how to draw creatures so I can chase them down. Between that and designing the basics of my tattoos, I've got something like talent. I'm creative as hell, though. Like how I'm going to get her out of her cycle of posting.

I warm up my thumbs, and start doing something that'll piss her off, ruining all the love and positivity without risking myself out there. Negative internet comments.

quote:

Is there something in your teeth?

quote:

Wow, a great picture of the sun, idiot.

quote:

Felicia who?

quote:

im permabanned poster instastomper58. i first started following alicia when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "fashion" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "garbage chic" and "fashion" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing bad outfits in the corners of my eyes etc

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Becky Donegal | 7 Luck | 0 Harm (Stable) | 0 XP

Well, that worked. One of these days I'm going to have to actually get drunk so I can sell that excuse better.

Aside from taking a few minutes to try to put some concealer on to cover this drat rash, I study the ritual I'm going to attempt. Then do some stretches, then study, 30 pushups, study, 20 squats, study, 30 lunges, study, 100 jumping jacks, study.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Charm!?

A stampede of images flash through my head. Very few of them are PG.

I stare eye-locked at Halla for a few moments. "Oh! Oh, sure," I sputter. "I can...come up with something."

I straighten, and square back my shoulders, taking a deep breath. This can't be that hard, can it? Of course Mister Murphy looks like he's falling asleep again, so I make sure to stomp extra hard, which my wedges just seem to emphasize even more. "Mister Murphy!" I say with a huge smile, batting my eyes. "I didn't know you'd be here. What *LUCK!*". I might not have been a great chemistry student, but theater...

...of course, it helps that reading surfaces thoughts is something I have to work *not* to do.

SidekickBOTToday at 10:44 PM
@Platonicsolid: 2d6+1 Charm Mister Wilson = (1+3)+1 = 5

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Alicia: If there is one thing you're in touch with as elemental joy, it's your social media accounts. And, from the negative vibes you're getting from your phone, someone's spewing toxic garbage in the comments. It's enough to make you actually stop posing, which also brings everyone out of the general good-times vibe, which also makes you notice Keely standing nearby with her phone in her hands, looking mischievous. As you turn around, you see that the trio of students are standing by themselves, as Lea appears to have returned home after getting her fill.

Looks like you missed your chance to talk to her for now...

Halla: You watch Bianca enter the room and start talking to Mr. Murphy. You can''t hear what she's saying, but Mr. Murphy looks up at her, eyes wide and then nods. He stands up as quickly as he can to follow her out of the room (which isn't that fast, to be honest). Then, they both head out of the room. Bianca winks as she passes you in the hall, then points to the desk. Apparently she got Mr. Murphy so agitated that he forgot his keys!

She's really good at this!

A quick search for "Mercury" as Quicksilver is more commonly called here, gets you a sealed test tube that will be more than enough for the ritual.

Bianca: You start speaking to Mr. Murphy, and suddenly you're standing outside, watching the retreating backs of Mr Murphy and Chip, the rugby captain. They're both leaving together, whispering about something. In your ears, you hear "Halla's" voice whisper, "Be seeing you soon..."

Everyone, after you all get back from your ritual preparation (or fae investigations), you all have time to plan what your next moves are. It's around noon.

What do you do?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Ugh... my head. Classic Joy hangover. Maybe I can talk Bianca into watching a romcom or something before we fight the ghost? Get a little hair o' the dog to take the edge off. I look at Keely, a big dumb grin on her face, and check my phone. Oh my god... it's awful. She's trolling all of my accounts! Why? Why?! I have to fix this on the quick before too many eyes get on this garbage. I rapidly begin counter-posting and deleting the ones I can, which is... not as many as I'd like. Damnit, social media, one of these days I'm going to talk a nice Twitter person into giving me admin access and it's going to be great.

I sigh, barely looking up from my posting flurry, and say, "Aw, c'mon, Keely. 'instastomper58'? Really? You're cursing my timeline with that?"

No real pre-ritual plans in mind.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Keely

"How else was I going to get you out of your anti-funk? So, did you find anything out, or did you just take pictures while I was doing a bunch of yardwork so we can do magic?" I still grin, but lock my phone and tucking it into my bag with a shrug. "Stomper's a classic, too! And, well, I got you to focus rather than messing around with your social media. Don't you pay someone to take care of them for you? You have probably a billion dollars, right?"

I stretch out myself as we get back, thinking about that drat ghost. "So, hey, if the ghost has a name or a purpose or something, you think it'd be easier to fight if we figured that out? I know neither one of us are big fans of sitting down and reading books, but there's gotta be something better than magic bracelets and spells that just make us able to interact with it."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I nimbly and completely not-obviously-at-all dodge the question about what I got out of my little mission by saying, "Well, Lea's full up on Inspiration so she shouldn't be around again until after we blast this ghost to its... y'know, constituent ghostiness." The rest of her questions get an eyeroll. "Aw, c'mon. I made it here on a scholarship. If it was ethical ⁠— or really feasible, it's not exactly a liquid asset ⁠— to drop a metric ton of faerie gold, maybe, but I don't want to have to go on a quest to rob mom's vault to pay a moderator team, community managers, maybe like a hype team, some search-engine optimizers..."

Okay, maybe I kind of want to do that. But still!

After a bit more musing, I say, "Well, let's hit the facts: this thing has a huge hate-on for fools and, for some reason, it thinks that fae qualify. Super rude. But... uh. I dunno, it doesn't seem like it's particularly subtle. It does what it says on the tin, y'know?" I shake my head. "Haven't heard of anything like it on my end of things..."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I push down the lingering feelings of ominous foreboding. No! No, I have the voices *quiet* for now, I'm not going to let this Head Halla screw it up for me. ~Quiet you!~ I shush it with my telepathy, even if I'm not quite sure who I'm casting at.

I swing out of the room and catch up to Halla. "careful with that, don't want to kill us dead," I say, pointing to the vial.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Keely

"Well, yeah. If he's a ghost, though, who's to say he's new. Maybe he's been around for a while. Oh, right! Well, since you're not going to want to come to the library, because I'm pretty sure you hate books more than I do, tell Becky the ritual spot is in the park, follow the path for about 50 yards, see the giant pile of sticks I made, then another 10 yards past that, trees in a near circle. I'd say you can't miss it, but. Seeya later, I'll fetch my spear and meet everyone at the spot. I've got a ghost to see if it's old." I start to run across the park, towards the library. Sure, bikes are great, but sometimes you just need a good run in.

Once at the library, it's time to look through old newspapers and whatever for ghosts. Hopefully the descriptions are good. Something like -FOOL- stamped on their face is hopefully hard to miss.

SidekickBOTToday at 5:10 PM @TLB: 2d6 Looking Through Old News For Ghosts = (6+2) = 8
What sort of creature is it?

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 18, 2019

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I give Keely such a look as she scampers off. I totally like books! I just don't like libraries. Or textbooks, really. Well, whatever. Sounds like she's up to some boring bullshit, so I better do some real prep for the coming fight. I mean, end of the day, one thing has punched a hole in this thing so far: magic lasers. I mean, sure, not big holes, but holes in general are a pretty good start when you're hunting an insubstantial ghost monster that hunts fools. So, really, the question is how I can make my lasers more laser-y.

Thinking about that makes the trip back to Becky's room go by in a flash. I let myself in, noticing Becky doing some power-squats or something, and say, "Hey Becky! Keely found the ritual place and marked it. I'm going to do some power meditation for a bit, get all pumped up for tonight, you know the drill. Hit me up if you need anything!"

With that, I find a comfy spot and start focusing. It's a little tough to, like, corral all those good vibes that I'm absolutely full of, but I think I have a good trick. I just need to get some mental images set that will let me access them, even if things get dicey against the ghost. I just need to think of happy thoughts! Putting together a rad new outfit... petting adorable puppies... hanging out with Bianca! All of those are totally great, but I'm going to need more and more if I want to stay topped up all throughout the fight. It's gonna take some time, but I'm sure I can do it!

quote:

SidekickBOTYesterday at 8:31 PM
@Tricky: 2d6+3 Use Magic to enchant my magical force (more??) = (6+3)+3 = 12

Upgrading my Magical Force with +1 harm and +magic.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Alright, we've got a spot, we've got the quicksilver... I've got to leave my warded space, not that it's going to last that much longer. It's go time.

Safety Girls posted:

Okay ladies, let's do this thing! Bianca, Alicia, I need you for the ritual. Halla and Keely, be on your toes, I'm sure tall dark and axe-y will be displeased.

It's just after 1 by the time we get gathered. Nothing major happens on the way down, and the other students mostly ignore me as I'm loaded down with a bookbag and my spellbook has a handmade brown paper bag book cover labeling it Physics 201.

Setting up the ritual takes a few minutes as I listen to the girls chatter. A circle of salt around a circle of ash. A bit of earth to the north, leaves to the east, charcoal to the south and a squirt from my water bottle to the west. This is all basics. I lead Bianca and Alicia into the circle, and have us sit around a small wooden bowl. The quicksilver goes in, and the ritual begins. If this works, the quicksilver should dance for us. Spell words, form a face, even be the form of a helpful spirit. These things aren't rocket surgery, ya know. They're art, and sometimes art goes off in odd directions or gets messy.

quote:

SidekickBOTToday at 7:00 PM
@Relentless: 2d6+2 Big Magic = (2+4)+2 = 8

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Keely: The scene is Keely flipping through the public library's microfiche machine in a dark room, her face illuminated by the light from the machine. She turns another crank to view the next page, scans it, and turns it again. This continues for a few more pages as the camera slowly zooms in from her side. Then, it camera stops and Keely sits up straight, eyes scanning a section of the paper with intent. The camera cuts to the screen, showing a black and white photo of a room that was vandalized with the word "FOOL" written all over the walls and a broken body half out of frame. The caption identifies the victim as Paul Newthon, a lawyer who had recently started a practice in town and was involved in a land dispute between two farmers. The story also mentions that both farmers and a local grocer reported seeing a tall man in an unseasonably warm coat and hat lurking around the town, but that he never approached them.

Searching for more information on the case doesn't turn up any more articles, so the case is presumably unsolved.

Everyone: as you all take your appointed positions, the wind dies down as Becky's chanting grows louder and louder. Then, the mercury starts to rise out of the bowl, hovering right in front of Becky for a moment as her chant reaches a crescendo. Then, the mercury starts spasming, going from pointy start to blob to spiral until it shoots out of the clearing like a bullet, leaving no trace behind. Well, not quite no trace. Becky spots a gossamer thread floating in the air and grabs it. After examining it for a moment, she realizes that thread is the path that the spell left for you. All you have to do is follow it.

That's when Becky and Keely spot a shadowed form swiftly making its way through the clearing, hearing the drumbeat of FOOL get ever closer.

What do you do?

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Halla

I had made for my dormitory room after acquiring the quicksilver, there to retrieve my armor and handgonne, in the event they may be needed.

Subtlety was one thing, but in a situation such as this I cared little for keeping the secret of my origins. Besides which, Rebecca would require me at my best in order to keep her safe for the duration.

And so I paced back and forth, waiting for a signal. "Anything?" I asked - sensing an increase of tension but unable to determine from whence it came.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Rituals.

Not really my thing.

Oh, I like the *ceremony* of them. A graduation or a wedding or a funeral, all the pageantry and the special costumes. It's just the people. Rituals stir up strong emotions, which have not been my thing for a while.

I take a deep breath and look at Alicia next to me. At least I'm here with her. And the ritual requires we hold hands. Sadly not make out.

Becky's chanting gets intense, and then the quicksilver jumps up and goes flying off. "Is that..."

I rock back and up to my feet, then rise slowly, still holding Alicia's hand. I reach out and listen with this newfound peace and control. If there's anything out there waiting to maul us, I should be able to hear it.

SidekickBOTToday at 1:12 PM
@Platonicsolid: 2d6+1 Scanning the area around us (Read a bad situation) = (2+4)+1 = 7
Spending the Hold immediately to ask Are there any dangers we haven’t noticed?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Keely

All geared up, ready to go. Bracelet on, spear in hand, chainmail shirt making me slightly less likely to get murdered to death. And while I can't see the ghost yet, I can sure hear him and his loudness.

"Yeah, I can hear him! Don't have a visual yet. You got anything on that ritual, Becko?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I'm basically humming with power throughout the ritual. I mean, let's be real, I'm always powerful, but this is some next level stuff I'm working with. As things come to a close and it looks like Becky's got what she needs, I squeeze Bianca's hand back and say, "You ready, babe?"

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

"Well, THAT'S neat!"

Before I can really examine the quicksilver, I see the shadow and hear the FOOL FOOL FOOL getting closer. Not good... but not unexpected.

I try to ignore it, and the rest of the girl's chatter, and concentrate on the thread. I take a step in the direction it's leading, seeing if it reacts to my movement or if I'm going to leave a mysterious thread of slightly poisonous heavy metal floating across the school grounds.

"Follow me, let's move before that thing gets here!"

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Halla

I fall into step behind Rebecca, grimacing a bit, my hands tightening on the hilt of my blade. "It would have perhaps been efficacious if we had devised a method by which our foe could be made plainly visible to the common eye, or even just the members of our fellowship. As it sits, I will be swinging blindly."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

My fingers wiggle and I find Alicia's fingers. "No," I admit, "Not really. At least we're doing it together."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Bianca: Everyone has noticed the sound of the monster coming through the trees, and now that you're clear, you can get the general direction it's coming from based on Becky's and Keely's gaze. However, the rest of the grounds are clear. You even do a little psychic sweep to make sure there's no one around.
Nope! The danger right now is just the monster. It doesn't seem to have any minions or anything else handy at the moment.

Becky and Keely: Now that you're out of the grove, both of you see the creature tromping towards Becky. The tall man in a long brown coat and features hidden by a widebrimmed hat stands a good eight feet tall, but compared to the last time you saw him, Becky, he looks noticeably less human. His arms bend unnaturally, flexing far from the joints of the elbows and shoulders. You're sure he has more legs hidden under that coat, but you can only spot two at any given second. He points his axehandle at Becky while continuing his chant of "FOOL." But even that is different, as you hear multiple voices speaking at once, overlapping each other.

As a side note, Becky, now that you've cast the spell, you can hand the thread to someone else to follow if want to stick around and fight.

What do you do?

Halla, this is intolerable! The cowardly creature seems to continue its focus on your companions while not paying the least bit of attention to you! Have you ever faced an invisible foe before? How did you handle it then?

Alicia, the idea pops in your mind as you're running. The only reason this thing is chasing Becky and not you at the moment is that she made herself the target. Do you feel like you owe her?

Everyone, you know from experience that you can outpace it on a bike, but Becky and Keely see that it's closing in on you all fast. At least one person is going to have to distract or delay it for the group to get away and follow the trail.

What do you do?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Keely

"This is some real bull..." I run with Becky for a little bit, pointing at the strand, then pointing over towards the lovebirds for a moment, then towards Halla. "Someone who can't see the ghost, get on this string thing. I'm gonna do something stupid again. Halla, on me!"

I turn around, whipping my spear around in a wide circle. "I'm gonna slow it down, the hard way." I charge at the ghost, spear in hand, trying to slice the ghost from the side and continue to run, a different direction from the ritual. Maybe can shake it up by showing I can see it. And stab it.

TLBToday at 10:11 PM
/r 2d6+1 # Kick Some Ghost rear end
SidekickBOTToday at 10:11 PM
@TLB: 2d6+1 Kick Some Ghost rear end = (1+3)+1 = 5
Keely wishes she was back in homework jail.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I reach out with my mind and scan carefully...and then more aggressively, as I feel the confidence. "Think we're clear," I say. "So let's go get it."

And it's time to run. Run run run. drat it. Not my strong point.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

As Keely starts things off, I'm all about finding whatever's on the other end of the string... mostly because I can't see the thing, not because I'm scared! And, I mean, yeah, I owe Becky for taking the heat, but she knows I'd do the same for her. I run alongside Bianca and say, "You got it! Let's get to the bottom of this."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Bianca, Alicia, Becky, you all scram out of here, following the thread thanks to Keely's distraction, where it leads you all through the winding streets as the sun is getting lower in the sky. The day is slipping away from you all, and it is late afternoon now. Finally, after a ride across half the town, you see that the thread trails off as it enters the ground of Father Jacob's church. As you enter the grounds, you see Father Jacob is out of his normal black priestly attire and in cooler, lighter clothes for yardwork. He puts down the trowel he was using to tend the small garden near the church as he looks suspiciously at the three of you as you ride up, saying, "I know you hellions don't respect your accursed school's own rules, but surely you can recognize that causing trouble at a church would be beyond the pale."

The only buildings on the church grounds are the church itself, and the rectory where Father Jacob lives.

What do you do?

Keely, you stab up at the monster, but it bats aside your thrust and clubs you in the side with the axe handle.
Take two harm.
You get knocked to the ground, but in a flash, a hand closes around yours and pulls you back up.
Halla, as the others leave, you grab down to help Keely up by her wrist. As you do, you get a faint outline of the creature you saw earlier. It looks like you just need to be touching the bracelet to see the creature.
What do you do?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I smile brilliantly at Father Jacob, "Aw, don't be like that. I'm sure you can let us have the run of the place?"

Waves of sheer fae juju batter away any resistance he can possibly muster. I mean, yeah, kind of a dick move since we might end up wrecking up the place by the end of things... but we've got Keely and Halla making a stand! There's not a lot of time to be diplomatic!

quote:

SidekickBOTToday at 3:37 PM
@Tricky: 2d6+2 jedi mind trick = (1+4)+2 = 7

Spending my hold on the bolded command.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Halla

"On your feet, friend Keely, only you can…" I trail off as I realize I was able to catch a glimpse of the spectre. At first I thought it a side effect of the ritual, but after a moment I concluded it related more to Keely's bracelet. I would have to ask her more about it later. But for now, I clenched her wrist and put her behind me, interposing myself like a phalanx, and pointed the tip of my blade at the entity.

"I am Halla of the Rainsong, slayer of demons, Hellion of Ebonmire. You will do no more wickedness in this place. I bid thee begone!" I was no warlock like my brother, but the incantation felt proper all the same. I swung my blade in a wide arc at the creature, hoping Keely's trinket allowed me more aid than simple sight.

@LifeGetsWorser: 2d6+2 phantom rear end-kicking! = (4+3)+2 = 9, which I believe means I inflict a total of 2 (or 3? Ancient Fighting Arts isn't super clearly worded on if I only get the damage bonus on a protect) harm and take -1 to whatever it's harm total is in return

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 28, 2019

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Pant.

Pant pant.

"Running....was....a....bad....choice...."

I'm half collapsing and all doubling over by the time we get to the....church?

I wrinkle up my brow. This seems very wrong.

I want to say something biting and witty about not everybody being Christian, but I'm too busy wheezing. Alicia brings out her Fae whammy, and I wave a hand in support, as my pants start to get more even.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

[quote="Relentless" post="496201812"]

I clap Bianca on the back as she catches her breath. I've worked up a good sweat chasing that little thread, but nothing I can't handle.

"You gotta get out of your room and get some exercise girl!"

I barely get to START thinking of a diplomatic yet sassy retort to the Father when Alicia does her fae thing. There's probably some ethical THING saying this is wrong, but, whatever. We've got bigger problems.

It does seem VERY odd for the thread to lead us to a church, though...

@Relentless: 2d6+1 read a church situation = (4+3)+1 = 8

Are there any dangers we haven’t noticed?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Keely
Luck:7/7, Harm:2/7, Unstable?:no, Experience:3/5

Before or after armor?

I stand back up quickly, shaking my head quickly to get my hair out of the way. "Alright, let's do this!"

I shift sideways, putting the spear in my free hand and waving it wide at the spirit. Probably won't be able to hit it, but at least I could give it another thing to think about. "Not so easy when you can get hit!"

SidekickBOTToday at 6:30 PM @TLB: 2d6+1 annoying the ghost to help Halla = (5+4)+1 = 10
Give +2(!) to Halla's Kick Some rear end.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Keely and Halla, as you tag team the monster, it seems confused as it staggers backwards with a sudden tear in its . As it does, it stops and studies Halla, axehandle held high. Then, it looks to Keely. Its gaze lingers for just as long before it lowers its axehandle. Then, it suddenly turns and starts walking back into the grove, towards the school.
Halla, you did two harm. Three from Ancient Fighting Arts, minus one for the monster's armor. Keely, you only take one harm when counting your armor.

What do you do?

Bianca, Alicia, and Becky, Father Jacob suddenly looks very conflicted before saying, "I don't have time to keep an eye on you kids, so don't cause any trouble." He then sharply turns back to the gardening he was doing before you arrived. It looks like, as long as he doesn't see you going where you shouldn't, he won't raise a fuss.

Becky, out of curiosity, do you go to church much? Because you've see a glint of a silver eye from the church basement, and you're sure that's not normal. There's... something lurking down there.
While you're looking around, you can feel the rash on your face suddenly fade.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

"Nice one, Alicia!"

Churches weird me out. There's something... lonely about them. So many people see them as a symbol of their faith, a community, their people. But it just reminds me that my ancestors were hunted, killed... no, murdered by their faith. They're just a reminder that I'm not one of 'them'.

I shake my head, pushing those thoughts to the back of my mind.

"Did you see that? In the basement window? We need to hurry, I think it's chosen a new 'fool' to fixate on. Probably Halla or Keely..."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I look down at the window, but I don't see anything and just kind of shrug at Becky's question. Probably worth checking out, right? When it looks like Father Jacob is properly distracted, I motion her and Bianca to quietly move around the building. I figure going in the church proper is the best way to get down there, but who knows if Father Jacob locked it up while he's doing his chores.

Once we're out of earshot, I say, "Yeah, you're probably right. I don't think it's a good sign... it felt like it got a lot stronger as the fighting went on. Like it had to wake up, you know?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Halla

I must admit, I was relieved as I found purchase with my blade. Such ghostly enemies were generally the duty of the more sorcerously inclined of the Rainsong. But it seemed that this phantom consisted yet of some matter, or else Keely's trinket was indeed wondrous.

Not willing to take the chance that I would lose sight of my quarry should I touch not her wrist, I practically dragged Keely behind me as I kept after it in its retreat. "After it!" I called out. "We mustn't let up - keep our foe harried and off balance! We strike now to end the threat!" I snarled my words of encouragement and raised my sword arm to strike again.

/r 2d6+2 #additional ghost busting!

@LifeGetsWorser: 2d6+2 additional ghost busting! = (6+6)+2 = 14

Gonna deal 3 more harm and take one less back from it!

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 19, 2019