Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013
Thinking of downloading farscape and giving it a watch through again. Do you guys think it's aged well? As i was typing the title a thought popped into my head that it was a darker, more hosed up version of Voyager. Not the best description and I'm sure many will disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

wafflethief posted:

Thinking of downloading farscape and giving it a watch through again. Do you guys think it's aged well? As i was typing the title a thought popped into my head that it was a darker, more hosed up version of Voyager. Not the best description and I'm sure many will disagree.

Have fun. Rewatched it not long ago and it still holds up. The CGI can be iffy with the earlier stuff but they tend to use it better after season 1. The puppets are usually fantastic with the exception of one Stargate-esque race. Mostly those guys appear as a human throughout, so alles ist gut. I wouldn't call it a darker voyager but whatever floats. I really think it stands out from most end of 90s/very early 00s shows. It develops a great pace and tends to keep it going while still making these characters charming. A bloody puppet was one of my favourite characters on the show and it was all due to writing, dialogue and the excellent VA work. It's not perfect but a drat fun space opera and highly recommend it to anyone that likes sci-fi. Had I can make a top ep and arc list if asked but really two of my favourite episodes/arcs can be summed up as "Dirty Dozen in Space" and "Space Alamo but somehow the good guys are time travellers who are really bad at time travelling". Warning: the last episode is a hell of a cliff hanger. There is a movie out there but good luck finding it. Still one of my most beloved sci fi series.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Such a fun and cool sci-fi series. Not many series try anything cool with wormholes. Wish the show got the funding it deserved.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Farscape: Wormhole Extreme :cmon:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I know a lot of people love the bodyswap episode, but I think the second time they go there -- and have the cast swap costumes / make-up / build new puppets -- is one of the best.And their tv clip episode is insanely good, even if it's riffing on Babylon 5.

Also, I loved the way the show would structure its seasons so that it'd have its big epic three-parter finale just before the actual season finale, which tended to be more introspective and personal. The second season finale -- Die Me Dichotomy -- is excellent. Nasty, scary, powerful, emotional. So so good.

Oh! And the way Farscape does laser fire is the only way to do laser fire. Huge physical effects that would glow and light the set (and occasionally set it on fire). Just wonderful.

Claudia Black should be a star -- and it's funny that the show's biggest star, Ben Mendelsohn, played one of the show's weirdest guest roles. I genuinely hope that people play clips of his blue murder monkey man at wrap parties.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Don’t know where you are but all four seasons + the miniseries finale are on amazon prime streaming. I started a rewatch a few weeks ago.

Definitely holds up. It’s pacing is slower than modern shows, but it could definitely air today.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
There are some AWFUL episodes, but it's a great show.

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013
Thanks guys. I hadn't even thought of checking Amazon Prime but I will now.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I don't know as I'd call it a darker version of Voyager, since the movies came out I always saw it as a more dramatic proto-Guardians of the Galaxy. The first season's not very good, it didn't hold up well even in its own time, but they weren't being given the room by the network to try and do larger plots and were being expected to keep it in a situation-of-the-week format. Everything about it picks up the second Scorpius is on-screen, though, and it mostly stays there through the rest of the series (with some fumbling in Season 4).

You're probably going to get the most fun rewatching the second and third seasons, where characterization and development and a grand arching narrative play out very well as the universe the show is set in is grown episode-by-episode. And, hey, they made use of a lot of the throwaway characters and stories from season 1.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

There are some AWFUL episodes, but it's a great show.

I skip the Wile E. Coyote episode.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Duck and Cover posted:

I skip the Wile E. Coyote episode.

Yes, that one is intolerable. It’s the only one I for sure skip every time.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Open Source Idiom posted:

and it's funny that the show's biggest star, Ben Mendelsohn, played one of the show's weirdest guest roles. I genuinely hope that people play clips of his blue murder monkey man at wrap parties.

Holy poo poo what :psyduck:

In, uh, unrelated Farscape news (seriously, what?!), IO9 actually did a pretty interesting look back at Farscape a few weeks ago: https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-look-back-at-farscape-aliens-puppets-and-criminals-1833716459

It's got interviews with a lot of the cast and Ben Browder confirms what Ironslave was saying in that James Gunn admitted to Browder that Guardians of the Galaxy was heavily inspired by Farscape.

I got to meet Gigi Edgely a few years back at a convention. She's incredibly chatty and fun and she signed my copy of Peacekeeper Wars :3:

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Farscape has aged exceptionally well mainly because of it's use of practical special effects, authentic cast chemistry and that timeless Jim Henson touch.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Farscape has aged exceptionally well mainly because of it's use of practical special effects, authentic cast chemistry and that timeless Jim Henson touch.

It's incredible how much hotter Claudia Black is at 46 than she was at 26.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I think Warren Ellis described it best: wholesome American boy finds himself in the Australian leather/BDSM scene and goes native. Browder's performance as a man initially trying to stay sane in insane circumstances and slowly sliding down to meet his environment until he's (a) no longer even suited to go home and (b) definitively the craziest motherfucker in the room is amazing.

Sure, there are a couple of episodes worth skipping, but there are substantially more where you realize which one it is and your face splits into a manic grin. Characters too. Stark goes from "oh, this guy :rolleyes:" to "hey , Stark's back!" pretty quick.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

It's incredible how much hotter Claudia Black is at 46 than she was at 26.

She's a literal goddess.

Ben's one of my tv heroes and I really wish he did cons more frequently because I need to thank him for the joy he brought into my life.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
It's kind of a sad irony that when Farscape was originally aired it was regarded by Sci-Fi as a bit of a weird oddball show that didn't really fit with anything else they were running (and it was hella expensive to make of course)

But you look at the kind of shows Sci-Fi is putting out now, and you could see how a rebooted Farscape would totally fit in their current line-up.

For what it's worth I think the effects have held up incredibly well. Just look at the Dune miniseries from around the same time and it looks like total poo poo by comparison.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ben said recently that there was talk of a revival again.

I squeed like a small child when I saw him in GotG2.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Test Pattern posted:

I think Warren Ellis described it best: wholesome American boy finds himself in the Australian leather/BDSM scene and goes native. Browder's performance as a man initially trying to stay sane in insane circumstances and slowly sliding down to meet his environment until he's (a) no longer even suited to go home and (b) definitively the craziest motherfucker in the room is amazing.

I’m quoting this because it’s just plain an excellent way to put it.

I’ve watched Farscape through at least a dozen times, but it’s been awhile and I think it may finally be time for a rewatch. I’m really hoping I forgot just enough of it to be pleasantly re-surprised but I don’t know if that’s an actual possibility.

This thread, coupled with having picked out Scorpius in the background of an episode of Home Movies the other day, is all the sign I need.

Maelstache posted:

For what it's worth I think the effects have held up incredibly well. Just look at the Dune miniseries from around the same time and it looks like total poo poo by comparison.

Ooh, it’s been even longer since I’ve seen that. It doesn’t shock me to learn the effects haven’t held up. I remember being impressed by the hunter-seeker, but I was so psyched that there wasn’t really a chance I wouldn’t be.

e:

Rhyno posted:

Ben said recently that there was talk of a revival again.

Wait, really?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah but it's just chatter. Either Hensen or Kemper brought it up last year.

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

Polaron posted:

I got to meet Gigi Edgely a few years back at a convention. She's incredibly chatty and fun and she signed my copy of Peacekeeper Wars :3:

Definitely jealous.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I should rewatch sometime and see if Season 4 / the movie actually work for me now. Hated both on first viewing.

Like... literally every new character and plot beat I can remember from season 4 are just terrible. And I can't remember the movie at all.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Like... literally every new character and plot beat I can remember from season 4 are just terrible. And I can't remember the movie at all.

Nah. War Minister Ahkna owns. The dumbest person in the room with the most to prove. She's just perceptive enough to see that Chricton is unstable, but dumb enough think that means she should race him to the bottom.

The bit where she plays chicken with a nuclear warhead is one of the tensest set-pieces the show ever did.

Sikozu and Noranti are pretty good too, particularly Noranti.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

burial posted:

This thread, coupled with having picked out Scorpius in the background of an episode of Home Movies the other day, is all the sign I need.

wait what where

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Ironslave posted:

wait what where

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-s4jHv3M3o

He’s being beaten on by Gabrielle at 21:15. I’m pretty sure!

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
If people are planning to watch through on Amazon Prime, please note that the first season is listed in an incorrect order on Amazon Prime.

It appears to be sorted by the US airdates, rather than production order. The intended order of the first seven episodes for Season One is as follows:

Premiere
I, E.T.
Exodus from Genesis
Throne for a Loss
Back and Back and Back
Thank God It's Friday, Again
PK Tech Girl

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Alehkhs posted:

If people are planning to watch through on Amazon Prime, please note that the first season is listed in an incorrect order on Amazon Prime.

It appears to be sorted by the US airdates, rather than production order. The intended order of the first seven episodes for Season One is as follows:

Premiere
I, E.T.
Exodus from Genesis
Throne for a Loss
Back and Back and Back
Thank God It's Friday, Again
PK Tech Girl

What. The. gently caress. Now I wonder if certain episodes feel as if more time has passed due to the episode order or not. Regardless it seems obvious to me that the pacing and time passage of the show is such that more or less significant events could have happened between episodes. First season so far (9 episodes in) is rather episodic, and the time passage feels like it's almost built for TV instead of today's streaming services. I watched Farscape originally on TV over several years and I have no idea how many episodes I have caught/missed. That combined with the overall weirdness of the show makes the entire thing feel like a kinda pleasant fever dream even during a "re"watch.

Man, watching this show now shows how much consuming media has changed since when this originally aired or was sold to my specific country for broadcast.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just hit season 2 and I still can’t tell if I like this or not. I’m assuming there’s a plot relevant reason Crichton is now dressing and acting like Star Wars Episode 2 Anakin.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Cuz he’s adapting to his environment.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

qirex posted:

I just hit season 2 and I still can’t tell if I like this or not. I’m assuming there’s a plot relevant reason Crichton is now dressing and acting like Star Wars Episode 2 Anakin.

Wait for Crackers Don't Matter and The Way We Weren't, episodes 4 and 5 of the season. If you don't like those, you can bail. Also of note is episode 9, Out Of Their Minds.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah I just watched Crackers Don’t Matter and it was great.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
I like to think of Chricton as the average of the insanity around him, but he varies between mean, median, and mode. A bunch of knobs of various alignments, he's a voice of reason. If everyone's a certain level of crazy, yeah, he's gonna be that, but the most.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

He never recovers from the chair, really.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
he's not the same person after, but that doesn't mean he doesn't recover

e:

Trevor Hale posted:

Cuz he’s adapting to his environment.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

I haven’t started my rewatch yet. How prevalent was the whole thing where everybody else is always like “GOD humans are so limited/primitive/inferior!” and then John comes up with the plan and saves the day and still doesn’t get any slack?

I feel like it happened all the time and was hilarious but I don’t trust my recollections.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

just started watching this a couple weeks ago, I just got through the first mind swap episode. When this show is on it is loving criminal how good it is

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Aces High posted:

just started watching this a couple weeks ago, I just got through the first mind swap episode. When this show is on it is loving criminal how good it is

That and Crackers Don't Matter are two of my absolute favorites. It was RIDICULOUS how good those two are.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Was it a bass, or a trout?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Polaron posted:

Holy poo poo what :psyduck:

Sure was fun seeing Grünschlick and Noranti in Fury Road, huh!

Jool melts her vape a lot I bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

MY NAME IS JOHN CRICHTON