Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Over the years I've seen lots of people complain that the show looks cheap and yeah, season 1 does but from 2 on they learned how to light everything properly and really changed the whole look and feel of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Scorpius was supposed to be a one off villain, so I can see how if they planned to make him a long term threat from the start they would have changed the name and costume to make things easier on them.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Rewatched the whole show a couple weeks ago when I saw it was on Prime. This may be my favorite show ever, but it's been so long since I watched it. I was surprised how happy it made me when an especially good episode came on. As a teen, I think my biggest crush was on Gigi Edgley, but Claudia Black and Virginia Hey gave some tough competition.

Peacekeeper Wars wasn't quite as bad as I remembered, but it is disappointing as a follow up. If I remember correctly, Scifi promised them through season 6 and had greenlit season 5, before suddenly cancelling after they finished filming the season 4 finale. Truly a dick move.

The weirdest thing about the miniseries was them suddenly not doing the effects on Lani Tupu's voice for Pilot. Not sure if they ever gave a reason for that, but it's jarring because he just sounds like Crais suddenly.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Rewatched the whole show a couple weeks ago when I saw it was on Prime. This may be my favorite show ever, but it's been so long since I watched it. I was surprised how happy it made me when an especially good episode came on. As a teen, I think my biggest crush was on Gigi Edgley, but Claudia Black and Virginia Hey gave some tough competition.

Peacekeeper Wars wasn't quite as bad as I remembered, but it is disappointing as a follow up. If I remember correctly, Scifi promised them through season 6 and had greenlit season 5, before suddenly cancelling after they finished filming the season 4 finale. Truly a dick move.

The weirdest thing about the miniseries was them suddenly not doing the effects on Lani Tupu's voice for Pilot. Not sure if they ever gave a reason for that, but it's jarring because he just sounds like Crais suddenly.
They literally lost the post-processing effects save file that they used to make Pilot's voice and just weren't able to recreate them in time for PK Wars.

And I'll forever be upset about the way the final seasons were wrapped up, but Crichton casually giving everyone what they wanted for the past 3 years of his life, and then they just have to watch as bystanders? It's sickening in a way that's been eating at him this entire time and part of why he's so broken. It's the perfect ending to the wormhole story.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
From what I remember Scifi was gearing up at the time for a new slate of shows and the fourth season numbers were down, rather sharply from the third season. They offered a ten or 13 episode order to Henson but he wouldn’t take it.

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013
Well SciFi was always good at nuking things.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
RIP Invisible Man.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Trevor Hale posted:

I’ve had a tab open on my browser for eBay listings for the short Scorpy wears in Crackers Don’t Matter since seeing it in my binge. I want it so much.

I was about to say that Mambo still make their Loud Shirts, surely. Apparently they don't, and the prices on eBay for that one ("Lost Weekend")...well...I wish I could go back to the nineties and stock up.

Rhyno posted:

Over the years I've seen lots of people complain that the show looks cheap and yeah, season 1 does but from 2 on they learned how to light everything properly and really changed the whole look and feel of the show.

Yeah, if you look carefully, you see just how cheap the sets are, but it feels like they decided to put the effort into the alien make-up, which I think is some of the best I've seen.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elissimpark posted:

I was about to say that Mambo still make their Loud Shirts, surely. Apparently they don't, and the prices on eBay for that one ("Lost Weekend")...well...I wish I could go back to the nineties and stock up.

Yeah, if you look carefully, you see just how cheap the sets are, but it feels like they decided to put the effort into the alien make-up, which I think is some of the best I've seen.

I knew a guy who was a set builder on Farscape. I forgot his name now.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Rhyno posted:

I love how everyone's clothes are suddenly of way higher quality in S2E1.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There's still some jank present in the original premier (the one that became Dream A Little Dream), including the least convincing "chair leg" I could imagine. But definitely by the time you get to The Taking Of The Stone, the show looks pretty drat good.

(Also apparently people hate that episode? I always thought that it was good weird and that the see-through womb was memorably yucky.)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

I knew a guy who was a set builder on Farscape. I forgot his name now.

take this one to the chair.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

double nine posted:

take this one to the chair.

I'm not worried, i knew who built it.

e: i should have kept in contact with that geezer, he told mew he could get me work. I'm a builder and painter, but i was working at the time.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 9, 2019

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

Open Source Idiom posted:

There's still some jank present in the original premier (the one that became Dream A Little Dream), including the least convincing "chair leg" I could imagine. But definitely by the time you get to The Taking Of The Stone, the show looks pretty drat good.

(Also apparently people hate that episode? I always thought that it was good weird and that the see-through womb was memorably yucky.)

The things they do to fetuses in this show are pretty wild. To this day my favorite science fiction show ever. Seeing the events take their toll on Crichton's mental health over the course of the series really changed my expectations for other shows.

James Gunn is a huge fan of the show and pretty adorably geeked out when Ben Browder did a cameo for GotG 2:

Ben Browder Got That Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Cameo Because James Gunn Loves Farscape

He's also open about directly mining Farscape for Guardians:

A Look Back at Farscape: Aliens, Puppets, and Criminals on the Run

quote:

More than any other piece of media, Guardians of the Galaxy proves the show’s legacy—as the film features a gang of criminals lead by a pop-culture obsessed human who found himself on the other side of the galaxy, it’s easy to spot parallels with Farscape. “Man, I felt like someone went through my underwear drawer, you know,” Browder says of his experience watching the first film. As a huge fan of Farscape, Gunn was eager to include Browder in the sequel, and enthused about how much he was influenced by the show. “He went ‘yeah I totally stole your stuff!’ and promised to put me in the next one.”

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Also apparently people hate [Taking the Stone]?

It's just a pretty boring episode. It's also right before Crackers Don't Matter, which makes it look especially bad by comparison.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Zartosht posted:

I love how everyone's clothes are suddenly of way higher quality in S2E1.

they switched production studios as well after the first season; the old studio was apparently absolutely awful to work in

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
The old studio made Jeremiah Crichton so therefor they were awful.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

LostRook posted:

As I recall, it was the most expensive shot of the series and they were terrified while shooting it because all would take was a small slip in the water by Wayne Pygram and they would've been totally screwed.

They had only one attempt they could make at it, they couldn't do it again given what they were breaking. And Wayne was walking up those steps in a costume whose materials could get slippery when wet. The script called for him to ascend the entire staircase, but he stopped midway presumably because he didn't think they'd make it.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Farscape poses the essential question: What if the entire galaxy was like Australia? Weird creatures and phenomena constantly trying to kill you, and all the sentient beings are barely-civilized madmen.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Laterite posted:

Farscape poses the essential question: What if the entire galaxy was like Australia? Weird creatures and phenomena constantly trying to kill you, and all the sentient beings are barely-civilized madmen.

Hey, the Australia myth in the wild.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Laterite posted:

This offends me as an Australian. I don't have to put up with this abuse.

*Angrily pulls on crude BDSM outfit made from platypus fur, takes weaponised cricket bat from umbrella stand and leaves on motorbike chariot pulled by venomous quolls.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

they switched production studios as well after the first season; the old studio was apparently absolutely awful to work in

It was next to the train station or airport, right? I remember the commentaries on the DVDs and Browder and Black noted that basically all the dialogue in the show was having to be ADRed because of the noise.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Gaz-L posted:

It was next to the train station or airport, right? I remember the commentaries on the DVDs and Browder and Black noted that basically all the dialogue in the show was having to be ADRed because of the noise.

Iirc yeah but set design also hampered that; peacekeeper sets all had metal grating for the floors so if they didn’t ADR it would have been CLANK CLANK CLANK as everyone walked around.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
So...it's agreed that Claudia Black is a goddess, right?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Laterite posted:

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

Laterite posted:

Never even up for debate.

And there's probably a discussion to be had (not in this thread) about a strong, intelligent female character who had control of her body until an evil foreign government forced her un-abortion just to manipulate the father. That's some hosed social commentary.

I should have left it at the above gif.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She's awrsome in many ways.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/TheClaudiaBlack/status/1114177057322229761

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

During my binge, I tweeted about really liking a certain scene of hers. Didn’t tag her or anything.

There is a group of people on Twitter who loving *amplify* any mention of the word “Farscape”. So my tossed off tweet gets RT’d a bunch and then someone snitch tags her in, and she replies very, very sweetly to me. And then the Farscape community starts replying to that.

At, like, the 300 notification mark I just muted the entire thing and made sure to never say “Farscape” again on my account.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Is she hiring?

I can't find Farscape on either Prime or Netflix (Netherlands). Is it just not up for Europeans?

vv edit: not for my region, apparently. :(

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 19, 2019

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

It's on amazon prime but I've not used that so maybe try that?

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013
thats fairly creepy

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Farscape is easily one of my favourite series of all time. It's not often that a series is willing to go completely balls-out crazy, throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.

Laterite posted:

My favourite Claudia Black Fact: you know those times we hear Aeryn speaking the Sebacean language, that sounds totally alien and like they reversed the recording? Nope, Claudia Black just straight-up did that herself.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Voting Floater posted:

Farscape is easily one of my favourite series of all time. It's not often that a series is willing to go completely balls-out crazy, throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.

My favourite Claudia Black Fact: you know those times we hear Aeryn speaking the Sebacean language, that sounds totally alien and like they reversed the recording? Nope, Claudia Black just straight-up did that herself.

Wait what. It sounds completely reversed.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzSSARLFixU this sounds edited.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

It is - that's fan made. That clip's from A Constellation of Doubt, which is late Season 4 when she's learnt actual English.

I'm struggling to find a clip online, but according to the commentary the parts in A Human Reaction at least were all Claud.

E: From a quick skim through the episode, I'd guess the scene in the cells is probably just reversed since there's no reason not to, but the later scenes with Cobb and Jack are her acting.

Voting Floater fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 19, 2019

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Laterite posted:

Form later in the series, when they are on earth...

:drat:

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKiJSjD-aAg

That voice ... (not particularly from the clip, more in general) :swoon:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That woman's abs are unreal.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
It's a crime that her and Cate Blanchett have never done a movie together. Although, that might just be too much charisma for a mere theater screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

Can I help you find someplace to sheath that sword? ;)