Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh man, the first time we saw blonde Claudia.

"I'm not the princess you seethk but we can still have a really good time."

HOW COULD THEY CANCEL THIS SHOW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

wafflethief posted:

Can I help you find someplace to sheath that sword? ;)

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

I can't turn away... 0.o

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Oh man, the first time we saw blonde Claudia.
"I'm not the princess you seethk but we can still have a really good time."
HOW COULD THEY CANCEL THIS SHOW
A bloody crime.
Just finished a series rewatch and it was so drat good. Binge watching definitely highlights Crichton’s eroding sanity. He came into it all starry eyed innocent and just trying not to die. At the end of the series people are like “Oh poo poo! It’s the Crichton!” Hell all of the characters change throughout, even Rygel becomes loyal and brave-ish. Well, for a Hynerian. Farscape did a great job of getting you to love a completely farbot bunch of frellniks. I still miss the cast. I still miss 1812 and he was a glorified Rhoomba.
Completely recommend this show to anyone, especially if they like GoTG.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 9, 2019

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

I'm doing a rewatch atm and Namtar,

This guy:

needed more episodes as a recurring villain, I mean just look at that recycled bondage gear they used for the costume.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Well, I mean, he CAN invert his pleasure and pain receptors or whatever, so.

Also I’m just starting a rewatch and I’m so excited. Even just thinking about that episode. Wasn’t it the setup for the whole subplot where Pilot and Aeryn eventually bond blah blah some of his DNA got left behind, etc.? and there’s the awesome flashback one later. Man oh man. This is gonna be good.

Pisses me off that I have to manually pick the episodes on Amazon if I wanna watch them in the right order though. Jeez. :colbert:

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

burial posted:

Well, I mean, he CAN invert his pleasure and pain receptors or whatever, so.

Also I’m just starting a rewatch and I’m so excited. Even just thinking about that episode. Wasn’t it the setup for the whole subplot where Pilot and Aeryn eventually bond blah blah some of his DNA got left behind, etc.? and there’s the awesome flashback one later. Man oh man. This is gonna be good.

Pisses me off that I have to manually pick the episodes on Amazon if I wanna watch them in the right order though. Jeez. :colbert:

The commentary track remarked on if they had that episode to do again, they'd do it differently. They felt by that point everyone had grown a bit too much to do the thing they ended up doing to Pilot.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ironslave posted:

The commentary track remarked on if they had that episode to do again, they'd do it differently. They felt by that point everyone had grown a bit too much to do the thing they ended up doing to Pilot.

I'm not sure if I agree with that. I liked how the episode reminded the audience that the cast wasn't necessarily moral paragons. Its also a great moment for Aeryn because she gets to call out the rest of the crew. (I also just watched the episode myself)

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013
Yea, how they ganged up on pilot really should have been earlier in the series, but he was a creepy fucker.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

I think Pilot regrew his arm back by like the next episode also so really I dont think it had any consequences even. But yea it did feel really out of the blue by that point. Yes it's establishing they're they're not totally moral and they'd do anything to get home but i think there had been enough episodes with the crew that you didnt think they'd run in and mutilate him.

Just got to the episode where they introduce Chiana. Man Durka is a good villain. This show has great bad guys.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 10, 2019

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Mid-season 2 in my rewatch, and Don’t Get Fooled Again is just magnificent

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Just Chamber posted:

Just got to the episode where they introduce Chiana. Man Durka is a good villain. This show has great bad guys.

And then I just got to the episode in season 2 where they kill him off pretty quick which is a bummer, though it's funny seeing Rygel carrying his head around. Though it's the same episode where they introduce Jothee :barf:

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Mid-season 2 in my rewatch, and Don’t Get Fooled Again is just magnificent

Who doesnt love Rygel in bondage gear?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I’m doing a watch since I abandoned it like 6 years ago and forgot most everything.

It still holds up. I just did DNA mad scientist and Namtar is legit pretty creepy.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Last time I was watching Farscape, I got midway into S1 before getting distracted by something else. Didn't hate it, just didn't get back around to it.

Now picking it up again on Prime and I think I'm *almost* into episodes I haven't seen before, just finished A Human Reaction.

Some of these are a little rocky, but the show is fun and I hear it just keeps getting better...

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
With all these revivals happening... this show could really use one too.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

There was a Farscape panel at SDCC this week...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-P8v91MQMQ (crappy video quality)

At 15m35s Brian Henson talks about how they wanted to do a movie, but couldn't figure out how to make Farscape work in a 2 hour movie format. They're looking into television... he can't say more... Netflix did not prove to be a very friendly home but Amazon has been... suggests that watching the series on Amazon is helpful:
"People want to know what they can do for Farscape? Get your friends to watch Farscape on Amazon"

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Quinton posted:

Last time I was watching Farscape, I got midway into S1 before getting distracted by something else. Didn't hate it, just didn't get back around to it.

Now picking it up again on Prime and I think I'm *almost* into episodes I haven't seen before, just finished A Human Reaction.

Some of these are a little rocky, but the show is fun and I hear it just keeps getting better...

Logarithmically.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So....

Farscape.

In 1999 I had just moved back in with my parents, shortly after turning 20. I was broke and a messed up dude and had a terrible relationship with my father so it was very rough being back in that house. A few weeks into the year, SciFi launched the Friday Prime block which included a certain show that this thread happens to be about. What many don't remember is that there was a Prime Preview night a week or two before the launch. An episode of Poltergeist the Legacy, First Wave and Farscape aired. Specifically, PK Tech Girl. I had no money that night so I stayed in and watched tv, finding this odd show to be very engaging. ABout a third of the way through, my father entered the room without knocking to give me my list of tasks to continue on rent free. He asked what I was watching, I said "I have no idea" and we watched the remainder of the episode in silence. He stood in place for nearly 40 minutes. Then he left without a word.
Weeks later, another Friday night and I was again watching Friday Prime. Farscape started and dad entered the room again, asking if it was that weird show. I confirmed and he stood there watching in silence. Halfway through he sat on the bed. When it ended he commented on how different it was from Trek and left.
Weeks passed and dad would come in, watch Farscape and then leave. I think we were halfway through the season and I opted to go out that night and he stopped me at the stairs and asked where I was going, weren't we going to watch Farscape? And I was confused and taken aback but I said yeah, I'll stay for Farscape. I believe there was a small batch of reruns then. When the show came back, Dad started knocking before he entered the room. He'd still sit in silence, but we watched nearly every episode of season one together.

Times passed. I moved out again. I had trouble catching the show weekly. I missed about five episodes of season two in a row. It lowered on my priorities a bit, I figured it would be re run some day. So I went for dinner at my parents one night so they could meet the then girlfriend. It wasn't bad, dad and I didn't talk too much but then he asked what I thought about the last episode of Farscape and I told him I'd missed them. He seemed bummed and we just made small talk. I didn't get back over there for months. I happened to swing by to get some of my stuff from the basement and Dad looked quite pleased to see me. He went to his office and brought back a box of VHS tapes. He'd been taping the show for me. I was again, so shocked. He told me he had all but two of the episodes and when i finished I should should come back so we could discuss the show. From this point I manage to catch every episode and stay current as I find talking with Dad about it is really enjoyable.

More time passed. Farscape is cancelled. Dad and I talked a bit about it, he was really bummed but that's how it goes. I don't recall the exact amount of time but one day I get an excited call from him because John is now on Stargate! Dad LOVED Stargate, I'd started watching SG1 because of him. It gave us something else goofy to talk about. And I'm finding that we're not just talking about tv, but our lives and how things are going. The Peacekeeper Wars mini airs and Dad and I talked for hours about it on multiple visits. Then he left my mother and a lot of the animosity and anger came back. We didn't talk for ages. At random, I flipped on SyFy and caught a 4 hour block of late episodes and Claudia Black is there and Ben Browder is there and it feels so right and I call dad and we get lunch and it's all just good.

Years later I talk to my dad all the time. He drops by to see how life is. He was incredibly supportive of my wife and I when we were financially struggling years ago. He's always just there if I need him, always around to bounce ideas off of.

I know this sounds really stupid but Farscape saved my relationship with my father. This insane, stupid, wonderful show was exactly what he and I needed to bridge the gulf between us. It's my favorite show for a lot of reasons but that's the most important one.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Doesn’t sound stupid to me. I’m really glad I clicked on this thread today. That’s feel-good as gently caress.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

burial posted:

Doesn’t sound stupid to me. I’m really glad I clicked on this thread today. That’s feel-good as gently caress.

100% this.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Funny, just saw this on Facebook,

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

mllaneza posted:

Funny, just saw this on Facebook,

I can't believe they forgot to include "Bill Browder is in it".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dargo has a great sense of humor!

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Farscape and GotG sharing some similarities likely isn't an accident. James Gunn was a fan of a show, and personally asked Ben Browder to cameo as the Sovereign Admiral.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, that part was a stretch. But so does Drax, after a fashion. I would say, more accurately, they are both the straightman to the human protagonist.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Also I would add for Rocket and Rygel, they're both slightly to moderately psychotic and borderline sadistic killers.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Rhyno posted:

D'Argo: The bad news is that you are married and you must endure as a statue for eighty cycles in a strange world.
Crichton: What's the good news?
D'Argo: Chiana and I are having fantastic sex.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGjB_1lzbOw

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ben Browder deserved a way better career after Farscape but Hollywood is pretty stupid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Ben Browder deserved a way better career after Farscape but Hollywood is pretty stupid.

No joke. He doesn't even do US conventions so I've been unable to get my Winona autographed.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I can't understand why he didn't. He's got a lot of wit and nuance. I also thought he wrote good episodes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He seems to be a genuinely good person too. Doesnt he live in Australia? Might be why he doesn't do much work in the US.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

He seems to be a genuinely good person too. Doesnt he live in Australia? Might be why he doesn't do much work in the US.

He lives in Sydney half the year, or when he's not working i'm pretty sure. I read an interview a couple months ago where we said he crashes at his friends house in Sydney.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Rhyno posted:

No joke. He doesn't even do US conventions so I've been unable to get my Winona autographed.

He was at dragoncon in Atlanta this year

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Looks like he's been getting a little more work since then:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0112871/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That was a very heartwarming tale, Rhyno. I enjoyed reading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

socialsecurity posted:

He was at dragoncon in Atlanta this year

God drat it I would have gone just for him.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

That was a very heartwarming tale, Rhyno. I enjoyed reading it.

:)

Dad doesnt even remember most of it these days, I dont think he's aware of how pivotal those events were for me.