Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gokuweed420
Feb 1, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
sike bitch!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

America is a mental illness.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
America, dunking its own head in the toilet repeatedly: I don't want to do this but I have to. I know other countries generally never dunk their own head in the toilet but that would never work here*

*This message was paid for and approved by the National Toilet Association

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

bitterandtwisted posted:

shooting guns and counting it as exercise is the most American thing I've ever heard

I didn't go to middle school in America :ussr:

I think our gym teacher thought we would have to fight off American pig dogs or something idk. He also had very interesting ideas about how nuclear power stations work.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

bitterandtwisted posted:

shooting guns and counting it as exercise is the most American thing I've ever heard

Getting shot at is even more American, and it is excellent cardio

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1125867620757123081

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
Now that's what I like to see. You often only see a single kid trying to do all of the work by themselves. Those three kids are showing some real teamwork which has been so sorely lacking lately.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Blade Runner posted:

I realize you're a moron computer janitor but it's honestly pretty simple: existing without guns is not an option that exists, that is not the country we live in

If you want to live in that country, you need to move

If your argument is predicated on "well they just shouldn't be around guns then!!!!" And you live in America, you're willfully ignoring the problem

e: It's true that children should not have to be around guns but, insane as it sounds, that actually is just plain not realistic

There are parts of the country that have basically no gun culture at all my dude.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

I thought GBS was a politics thread and gun control thread free zone. Guess art does mimic life. :smug:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Grape posted:

There are parts of the country that have basically no gun culture at all my dude.

Where?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Grape posted:

How do you define "gun culture" and what areas do you think don't have any? I mean Japan has a gun culture and they can't even own guns.

Anyways, as in the US, when somebody gets shot it's not the local gun nerds who obsess over every detail of militaria, own a collection of replicas, and travel overseas to visit gun ranges who do the shooting.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 12:36 on May 8, 2019

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Colonel Cancer posted:

This is why I will teach my children 20 ways to silently take out a sentry with a knife or otherwise they might hurt themselves.

Don’t draw the knife across the throat, Billy! You need to stab deep into the flesh and then rip the knife out by pushing forward to rupture as much tissue as possible. Don’t pull the head back, either, you’ll just increase your chances of a glancing blow or a shallow cut.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

The Tri-State area at least in my experience, this can probably be said for most of the Northeast corridor to some extent.
It's not that it doesn't exist, but it's pretty unusual and easy to basically never encounter.

After all who needs to hunt when you can just drive on the woodiest parts of local highways for awhile, you'll catch a deer soon enough.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like a lot of people keep guns at home and don't advertise the fact but I'm kind of just speculating.

Like there's no culture I guess where I am in that I never randomly talk about guns with people or see them other than on cops but I know that there's like a good 25-30% of households with a gun in the residence, at least based on the last numbers I saw.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 8, 2019

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Moridin920 posted:

I feel like a lot of people keep guns at home and don't advertise the fact but I'm kind of just speculating.

No one hunts around here either, so they must be super secretive about every facet of it to the extent that one could conclude a popular culture for it does not exist in the area.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well... Super secretive? Why would people tell you they have a gun?

E: https://www.heraldmailmedia.com/new...0ca80d6171.html

Surely some of those people are still living there

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

I had to travel to the EU to meet my first civilian gun owners, and also to hold and fire a gun.

Hello people of Earth 1.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That doesn't mean no one else owns a gun around you dude idk what to tell you lol

People grow up in LA and don't encounter guns, doesn't mean there aren't any

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Moridin920 posted:

Well... Super secretive? Why would people tell you they have a gun?

Well that's exactly it, having a gun culture wouldn't make something like that a secret I'd think.
Kind of in the same sense that Evangelicals do technically exist around here, but they're rare and pretty quiet. As compared to the parts of the country where they rule all they survey.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Moridin920 posted:

That doesn't mean no one else owns a gun around you dude idk what to tell you lol

People grow up in LA and don't encounter guns, doesn't mean there aren't any

Oh the innercities have plenty of guns here too but somehow I feel like that's not what's being discussed when we're talking "American Gun Culture". Though perhaps that is a byproduct.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I guess that's fair

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

If I said Country music was also pretty niche and rarely heard aside from special radio stations and the odd mainstream hit, would people believe me. :ohdear:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Grape posted:

If I said Country music was also pretty niche and rarely heard aside from special radio stations and the odd mainstream hit, would people believe me. :ohdear:

Seeing as I live in the Midwest, I want to believe you real bad. There’s more Christian stations than country stations (about a dozen) and there’s like one rock station (mostly classic), one new pop station that will also play scary black people music, one old pop station for your 70s-90s fare, and a NPR station that plays classical music. I live the in the third largest city in the state.

There’s a gun store named Si Vis Pacem around here, or at least they had a big fancy sign with that slogan and some crosshairs on it.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Lol 3 kids shooting it up together? Do you think that they like color coordinated their outfits and like who got what type of gun like arguing over who gets to be the one with the shotgun and who gets the rifle and who gets the double handguns

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Nooner posted:

Lol 3 kids shooting it up together? Do you think that they like color coordinated their outfits and like who got what type of gun like arguing over who gets to be the one with the shotgun and who gets the rifle and who gets the double handguns

More spree shooters should go with akimbo .45s so their aim will be absolute garbage. They should also do that so they eject hot casings onto themselves because they forgot to get a lefty ejection port for the off-hand.

Lobotomy Bob
Jun 13, 2003

I say this as a guy who owns a Kalashnikov.

Nobody needs a Kalashnikov.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

Like there's no culture I guess where I am in that I never randomly talk about guns with people or see them other than on cops but I know that there's like a good 25-30% of households with a gun in the residence, at least based on the last numbers I saw.

Yeah. If you live in a place where it's socially frowned upon to be a gun nut people just keep it on the down low.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I feel like that is just normal though, like unless you're some prepper weirdo when are you gonna just bring up your guns in casual conversation lol

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Hey coworker, here is a picture of my daughter, here is one of our dogs, and here are my glock and ar15

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pvt.Scott posted:

More spree shooters should go with akimbo .45s so their aim will be absolute garbage. They should also do that so they eject hot casings onto themselves because they forgot to get a lefty ejection port for the off-hand.

What if they hold the gun upside down

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I wish every time someone killed themselves they'd call in a threat to a business or school beforehand so that they can get their name in the news while everyone else gets to have a day off once in awhile. It's pretty much win-win.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Grape posted:

Oh the innercities have plenty of guns here too but somehow I feel like that's not what's being discussed when we're talking "American Gun Culture". Though perhaps that is a byproduct.

Again, it depends on what you mean by "gun culture". If you mean culture surrounding hobbyists, collectors, and people who shoot guns at a range or are NRA members then a lack of "gun culture" in your area doesn't really mean anything w/r/t spree shooters, people who kill each other with weapons, or the presence of weapons. Bubba, with his 15 carefully curated AR-15's and an actual machinegun who hangs out at the range every weekend bothering customers, isn't in the demographic that seems to be shooting up schools or fighting a turf war in the US.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Pvt.Scott posted:

Seeing as I live in the Midwest, I want to believe you real bad. There’s more Christian stations than country stations (about a dozen) and there’s like one rock station (mostly classic), one new pop station that will also play scary black people music, one old pop station for your 70s-90s fare, and a NPR station that plays classical music. I live the in the third largest city in the state.

There’s a gun store named Si Vis Pacem around here, or at least they had a big fancy sign with that slogan and some crosshairs on it.

I spent five years living in the Deep South, and yeah that sounds like what I remember, except definitely more black music (and some of the crazy radio preachers were also black).

I also remember when I moved down there (around 2007) telling some of my new friends I made that "no" I had never heard of Rascal Flatts, "who are they,?" and being looked at like a space alien.
Indeed I had to look up how to spell their name this very post.

Grape fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 8, 2019

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Warbadger posted:

Again, it depends on what you mean by "gun culture". If you mean culture surrounding hobbyists, collectors, and people who shoot guns at a range or are NRA members then a lack of "gun culture" in your area doesn't really mean anything w/r/t spree shooters, people who kill each other with weapons, or the presence of weapons. Bubba, with his 15 carefully curated AR-15's and an actual machinegun who hangs out at the range every weekend bothering customers, isn't in the demographic that seems to be shooting up schools or fighting a turf war in the US.

Yeah, Bubba is just the piece of poo poo gulping down NRA propaganda and voting in ways that ensure no meaningful controls get put on the wild and loose spread and proliferation of those guns.

Meanwhile Bubba's dorky failson is posting on the internet to assure us nothing is the matter.

Mar 18, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

McGavin posted:

I wish every time someone killed themselves they'd call in a threat to a business or school beforehand so that they can get their name in the news while everyone else gets to have a day off once in awhile. It's pretty much win-win.

Yes we should definitely reinforce the celebrity of mass shooters. This is a cool and good plan. Nothing bad can come of that.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
There are so many shooters, it is the same level of fame as a mid 2000s reality TV contestant.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Grape posted:

Yeah, Bubba is just the piece of poo poo gulping down NRA propaganda and voting in ways that ensure no meaningful controls get put on the wild and loose spread and proliferation of those guns.

Meanwhile Bubba's dorky failson is posting on the internet to assure us nothing is the matter.

"Meaningful" controls would also require a bit of extrapolation. There are a lot of restrictive laws on the books and private gun ownership has even been de-facto prohibited in areas of the US.

Like, the MG registry being closed in the 80's "meaningfully" impacts a lot of collectors and hobbyists, but it didn't meaningfully impact crime or violence because gangs of minorities were not/are not actually running around with akimbo tec-9's outside of Hollywood's sets and Norinco executive's dreams.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Warbadger posted:

"Meaningful" controls would also require a bit of extrapolation. There are a lot of restrictive laws on the books and private gun ownership has even been de-facto prohibited in areas of the US.

Don't be dense or hide behind extrapolation. Gun control works.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Warbadger posted:

Like, the MG registry being closed in the 80's "meaningfully" impacts a lot of collectors and hobbyists, but it didn't meaningfully impact crime or violence because gangs of minorities were not/are not actually running around with akimbo tec-9's outside of Hollywood's sets and Norinco executive's dreams.

Also, enforcement of gun laws seems really strange since most of the guys I know who get really excited about owning an AR-15 are members of law enforcement. This is in California, and all of them have the usual ways to sidestep the magazine restrictions and other limitations that the Cali laws put on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Warbadger posted: