Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
It's springtime. The weather is finally warming up, the ground is probably still soggy or at least soft. And all the plants are coming back. Now is a good time to tend to them and help introduce new ones to spruce things up.

As for me, most of the ones I'm dealing with are irises. They kick unfathomable amounts of rear end

:d: They look the best of any flower you can think of. Any color scheme or pattern you can think of for the flower? You bet your rear end an iris got it covered.

:d: They have the sweetest smell you can also imagine. Just stick your nose in that flower and take a deep breath, booyah!

:d: They are very self-sufficient. They propagate through rhizomes(baby plants on their thick root networks) and bloom into entirely new plants. Of course, you still need to carefully dig them up and separate the rhizomes to help them propagate further, but that is only done every few years. Perennials kick rear end too!

:d: Deer and insects leave them alone... for the most part. They go largely unmolested from the less appreciative and more idiotic fauna, which keeps them around longer for you and others enjoy.

They are one of the few things that never fail to bring a smile to my cold, bitter, goon face :unsmith:

There's also stuff like dandelions because of course there are, but also some wild growing daffodils with equally thick grass blades.

What plants do YOU also like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I love irises. My parents used to have them at our old house and they smelled like Concord grapes. I should plant some. Do they require thinning out over time like day lilies? (Which I should also plant.)

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
gently caress that poo poo post some weeeeed man. :rznv:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Labes for days posted:

I love irises. My parents used to have them at our old house and they smelled like Concord grapes. I should plant some. Do they require thinning out over time like day lilies? (Which I should also plant.)

I don't think so, at least not often. Like it was stated, they can propagate via rhizomes and their roots. But they only need to be dug up/broken apart/divided every so often. If you don't wanna do the extra work planting and salvaging every potential rhizome, you can thin out everything except the healthiest I suppose.

On that note, it's also a good idea to give the plant's leaves/stalks themselves a trim in the autumn or when they stop blooming. It's like a haircut and it allows the plant to keep more nutrition in their roots/bulbs rather than spreading it out to parts that can't do much with them. If that makes sense.

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

gently caress that poo poo post some weeeeed man. :rznv:

:mad:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

EorayMel posted:

I don't think so, at least not often. Like it was stated, they can propagate via rhizomes and their roots. But they only need to be dug up/broken apart/divided every so often. If you don't wanna do the extra work planting and salvaging every potential rhizome, you can thin out everything except the healthiest I suppose.

On that note, it's also a good idea to give the plant's leaves/stalks themselves a trim in the autumn or when they stop blooming. It's like a haircut and it allows the plant to keep more nutrition in their roots/bulbs rather than spreading it out to parts that can't do much with them. If that makes sense.

:mad:

Can we at least smoke weed and look at the cool flowers? :lsd:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Think you can roll up one of these flowers and smoke 'em? Would be a fool thing not to try!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Can we at least smoke weed and look at the cool flowers? :lsd:

Maybe, just this once.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Think you can roll up one of these flowers and smoke 'em? Would be a fool thing not to try!

Also somebody probably did at least once in the course of history but it swiftly was never attempted again. Like lots of things, I'd imagine.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Maybe I’ll buy some bulbs and plant them along the edge of the woods since deer don’t like them. I was also looking into getting some redbuds/magnolias because our yard butts right up on where the neighbors keep their boats and RV and I don’t like looking at them.

Currently the flowerbeds are only inhabited by fairy houses and a hose though; I really need to get out and do some landscaping.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

:d: lets post about flowers

:d: amazing aroma. cowabunga dudes!

:d: this flower grows out of the ground

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Demanding no weed this close to hitler's birthday is just cruel.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Love irises and have a couple of patches in my garden. Question: Do you happen to know of any irises that can be happy growing in large planters?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

TofuDiva posted:

Love irises and have a couple of patches in my garden. Question: Do you happen to know of any irises that can be happy growing in large planters?

Unfortunately, no. I prefer having the plants grow in the ground than in pots in general, so take that as you will.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
This weed prejudice will not stand OP!

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

EorayMel posted:

Unfortunately, no. I prefer having the plants grow in the ground than in pots in general, so take that as you will.

Ok, thanks for the info. I figured that it was a long shot, but hope springs eternal and all.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Sea weed is a good plant that does not deserve to be maligned for it's name.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Debunk This! posted:

Sea weed is a good plant that does not deserve to be maligned for it's name.

It's not a plant though :confused:

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i'm only growing weed indoors at the moment. the last frost where i am is may 6. we have plans for a big raised bed with corn, tomatoes, beans, and a bunch of other stuff like basil and parsley.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

It's not a plant though :confused:

Look its green and planty so what the hell else could it be?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Labes for days posted:

Maybe I’ll buy some bulbs and plant them along the edge of the woods since deer don’t like them
To be clear, "deer don't like them," in general, doesn't mean deer will avoid your yard if you plant some. "Deer don't like them" mostly means "they probably won't eat them first"

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

to whoever grew my weed: you did a great job, keep it up

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Anne Whateley posted:

To be clear, "deer don't like them," in general, doesn't mean deer will avoid your yard if you plant some. "Deer don't like them" mostly means "they probably won't eat them first"

I know, but I’d rather plant things near the woods that deer are unlikely to graze on than something they’ll happily tear up. Not that we get too many deer in the neighborhood anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
I've been keeping a bonsai for the last few months and it has been a very pleasant learning experience

My current plan is to grow him onto a brick over the next couple years so as to give the feeling of a decrepit building that is being overtaken by nature

And I also have a small garden of plants now, very relaxing to have a cup of coffee with in the morning